Ever heard of anyone leaving the ship mid cruise because they did not like it?

As I was laying in bed in my cabin the first few nights (on the Spendour of the Seas) listening to my loud neighbors talking and doors slamming, I actually had thoughts about bailing out of the ship at the next port. Because the noise was so bad I basically went the first two nights without any sleep at all. I was miserable! Eventually I got a hold of some sleeping pills that helped me sleep through the noise.

If I was in a hotel or resort and had noisy neighbors and was bothered by door slamming, it would be easier to check out. But on a cruise with no empty cabins with baggage and immigration and other travel hassles making leaving very difficult, I determined it would be impractical to bail out.

(I had been on 6 other cruises without nearly the trouble with noise. My experience with the noise on the Splendour of the Seas was extraordinary.)

Do you ever hear of anyone having such a negative time on the cruise during their first few days that they make arrangements to leave early? If so how would the logistics work?

As I was laying in bed in my cabin the first few nights (on the Spendour of the Seas) listening to my loud neighbors talking and doors slamming, I actually had thoughts about bailing out of the ship at the next port. Because the noise was so bad I basically went the first two nights without any sleep at all. I was miserable! Eventually I got a hold of some sleeping pills that helped me sleep through the noise.

If I was in a hotel or resort and had noisy neighbors and was bothered by door slamming, it would be easier to check out. But on a cruise with no empty cabins with baggage and immigration and other travel hassles making leaving very difficult, I determined it would be impractical to bail out.

(I had been on 6 other cruises without nearly the trouble with noise. My experience with the noise on the Splendour of the Seas was extraordinary.)

Do you ever hear of anyone having such a negative time on the cruise during their first few days that they make arrangements to leave early? If so how would the logistics work?

From what I understand, you are on your own. But I am sure you realize this. It would be no different than missing the ship. You are responsible for your own fate.

It is really a shame that this happened to you. Just out of curiosity, did you go to guest services and complain?

Yes we did on the 1st day of the carnival dream we got on the ship looked around then went to our cabin it was openned we went in look at it laid the bed an it felt like sleeping on a rock our bagges showed up at the same time . We walked around the ship one more time then went back to the cabin my wife & I looked at each other and said this does not feel right for us here so we said lets get the hell off the ship before we were stuck there for 7 days . Grab our bags went to front desk told them we were leaving we did,t like there ship and they lead us off the ship with no problems lost the cruise money but the ship didn,t feel right for us.

2nd time it was on the Oasis of the seas we made it as far as Nassau and got of the ship this ship was way to crowed for us and it felt like a circus to us there must have been 2000 kids on the ship running around so we said this won,t be enjoyable for us so we went to the front desk settled our bill told them we were leaving and left the ship.

We have over 25+ cruises and I had 25 yrs in the Navey that was the only 2 times we have ever left a ship because we didn,t like it or it didn,t feel right to us.

Yes we did on the 1st day of the carnival dream we got on the ship looked around then went to our cabin it was openned we went in look at it laid the bed an it felt like sleeping on a rock our bagges showed up at the same time . We walked around the ship one more time then went back to the cabin my wife & I looked at each other and said this does not feel right for us here so we said lets get the hell off the ship before we were stuck there for 7 days . Grab our bags went to front desk told them we were leaving we did,t like there ship and they lead us off the ship with no problems lost the cruise money but the ship didn,t feel right for us.

2nd time it was on the Oasis of the seas we made it as far as Nassau and got of the ship this ship was way to crowed for us and it felt like a circus to us there must have been 2000 kids on the ship running around so we said this won,t be enjoyable for us so we went to the front desk settled our bill told them we were leaving and left the ship.

We have over 25+ cruises and I had 25 yrs in the Navey that was the only 2 times we have ever left a ship because we didn,t like it or it didn,t feel right to us.

:O It would break my heart that. Not just the lost cash but all the pre cruise excitement. It must have been a bad feeling you got to do that. Good on you though if you really were not happy.

Really??? OMG.....over a feeling? I cannot speak for the Dream, as I have never been on it, but the Oasis (we thought) was amazing. Never once felt crowded. That is really a shame. What a waste. So sorry.

WOW!

I can't imagine doing what you did. Not questioning it. Just can't ever imagining it being that bad. If anything I could imagine just staying on my balcony and ordering room service on the Oasis.

No, we did not complain about the noise because we determined it had to do more about the ships construction and the way they designed the doors and the thin walls and lack of soundproofing. There was nothing current ships staff could have done.

Actually looking back at it, I don't think the neighbors were being that loud, instead it was just the way the doors closed and the lack of soundproofing and no fan noise to act as white noise. The neighbors were just speaking normally but the walls were so thin that we could hear every word they said. And the doors were desiged to slam.

We also were not that impressed with the cabin noises on Spendour (I refer to pre refurbishment). Out of all our cruises, she was the one with the most creaks, noises, vibrations whilst lying in bed (found it very difficult to get a good night's sleep - my head felt like it was shaking every morning when I awoke) etc. Not that I would have contemplated removing myself from the vacation, just wasn't as relaxing or as smooth as our previous sailings. Couldn't say it was due to the rough sea, in fact we had calm, glass-like seas. We'd definitely have to think deeply before sailing her again - perhaps the refurb may have alleviated some of our issues :confused:

Too many kids? Noisy neighbors? A feeling? Really?? That would never be worth losing my $ over! There are other options through guest services to try first I would think. Oasis has many places to retreat to and the neighbors can be properly approached by the staff. Oh well - your $, your decision. But I don't get it!

Never and the only reason we would ever consider leaving is an emergency at home. I can't imagine making a knee jerk reaction upon boarding a ship, unless it was falling apart. You really didn't even give the Dream a chance. As for Oasis, I think 2000 kids is not unusual.

We just sailed on the Allure on April 29th, and it unfortunately rained for the first 4 days of the trip. I mean, all day rain and cloudiness. Due to some dire health circumstances at home, we actually could of got off at one of the ports and flew home, but we chose not to.

Thank God we didn't; as we ended up meeting some really nice people, and also had some "down-time", which was much needed, but would not of happened if the weather cooperated. I try to live my life with an open mind, and try to make the best of what comes my way.

That being said, I sympathize with the OP, as far as having a noisy room. I actually had to wear earplugs every night on the Allure, (yes,even that ship creaked!!) as our patio door unit was very noisy any time the ship was moving. Noise from loud neighbors would even be worse, I'm sure.

I guess my point is that sometimes you have to let fate take its course sometimes, maybe we are meant to be at a certain place at a certain time...

Just sayin'...

Never and the only reason we would ever consider leaving is an emergency at home. I can't imagine making a knee jerk reaction upon boarding a ship, unless it was falling apart. You really didn't even give the Dream a chance. As for Oasis, I think 2000 kids is not unusual.

Agreed!....and as with any cruise, the time of year makes a big difference on the number of children and in our experience (non-peak family cruise times) that number was much lower. I question one's expectations - and planning effectiveness - if things like the number of children on board would justify leaving and losing the $.

Really over a feeling.

I have been on more than 50 cruises and have never gotten off and flew home or not taken the cruise. On a couple of cruises I have had noisey neighbors but if it continues I call guest services. This always takes care of the problem.

As for ship's creaking. You really want it to creak, it means it's flexible. A non-flexible ship will break up in rough seas. All ships creak, just as all bridges move. All for the same reason.

I travel everywhere with a "white noise" machine. Usually it helps. For instance, last week I was at my daughter's house-- when the machine is on a higher setting, I could not even hear her baby cry. I consider my little machine as an insurance policy for a good night's sleep!!

I travel everywhere with a "white noise" machine. Usually it helps. For instance, last week I was at my daughter's house-- when the machine is on a higher setting, I could not even hear her baby cry. I consider my little machine as an insurance policy for a good night's sleep!!

Yes! One of many remedies short of leaving the ship!

i actually toyed with invoking one line's vacation guarantee as i had a very bad time on one of their ships....

My cabin reeked horribly of smoke, the service, save for 1 person was lousy and the attitudes of the GR Manager and staff were those of..."well....too bad..." (i am shortening the story as there are too many little things to list here....)

The server in the dining room (the ONE shining star) talked me OUT of leaving....she went way out of her way to make sure i was happy, and was extraordinarily nice.....wound up still having a bad time though at least my dinners were great.

There was another time when we thought about getting off Explorer (when we were under a particular cabin some years back..again, i don't want to bring that debacle up again..) but we stayed...and vowed to NOT book that cabin again (i actually did one other time, but we lucked out and the people above were quiet...)

In hindsight, I would have to be very mad to actually leave.......

Yes we did on the 1st day of the carnival dream

2nd time it was on the Oasis of the seas .....

I'm thinking that mass market cruises maybe AREN'T your thing!!! :D :) :D

A bunch of years ago we (2 couples) booked an older HAL ship out of San Juan because both RCI ships sailing out of SJ were sold out. We booked cabins that we thought were going to be similar to Owners Suites. When we walked into our cabins which were next to each other we literally turned around, walked back into the hallway, looked at each other and said, "There must be a mistake!" :D We winded up sticking it out and had a nice time.

However, in a total coincidence, we ran into a friend on the same cruise who had won the cruise in a sales contest. They too were very dissappointed. They wound up leaving the cruise in Aruba. Watching folks load all of their luggage onto a bouncy tender ..... is a pretty interesting sight! :)

Invest in a pair of good ear plugs. Effective and much cheaper than an abandoned cruise. All ships creak so if you can't bear it perhaps cruising isn't for you.

I take earplugs on all my vacations, you never know who will be near you or what other types of noises will be around you that you are not used to. Worth the few $$ for a better nights sleep. Of course, on a ship I am rocked to sleep so that helps!

I have had a package of ear plugs in my suitcase from my first cruise on. Thankfully, I've never had to use them.

As for noise, it seems we've only had problems with neighbors when they have kids. Most adults seem to know the doos are going to bang. Also the kids banging the pullman beds have been a problem.

I have not read of anyone complaining about that much noise on any RCCL ship so it makes me think it was your neighbors.

I can understand being very uncomfortable about my surroundings and leaving the ship. That is why it took me months of research before making my first cruise reservation and why I'm hesitant to change cruiselines. When you leave the port you know you are stuck and that is not a good feeling to have when you are going on vacation.

So much depends on "where you are" and I don't mean on a ship. :) DH and I were on the 4/29 "Raindrops Kept Falling On Our Heads" Allure cruise and enjoyed it in spite of the rain. Unfortunately, some of the time, we went to events and got pretty wet and both have since had bad colds. The other day, we were feeling crabby and cranky while we were trying to plan another event. Fortunately, we realized it and were able to cut each other some slack. If there was something going on inside my head on a cruise that would make me feel like I wanted to leave and I acted on it, it could be something that was real to me and not to the next person.

Okay, this is an example. From 8:00 am on, there was music playing over the outside speakers even in the "quiet" areas like the Solarium and Suite Sunning Deck. The music in those areas was gentler than the music out by the flowriders, but I found myself just wishing for silence at times. (My balcony faced the flowriders so sitting out there wasn't an option.) There are no doubt people who a) loved all the music or b) didn't even notice the music was playing. The fact that it bothered me doesn't make me a bad person or an ungrateful cruiser.

By the way, I felt crowded from time to time on that cruise and DH never did. It's perspective.

We did have a younger group of folks next to us on one cruise~ college aged kids. They were VERY loud. The worst was when they blared rap music all day and a good part of the evening from their balcony. It was rough.

However They were good people. Even invited us several times over to their cabin to join them. Hubby looked at me, shrugged and said, "If you can't beat 'em..." ;)

Since the day I was born I have had what most call insomnia. Its not stress, emotional or medical ~ just how I was born. I am an extremely light sleeper, especially when I am sleeping in a strange place.

Some of the things I can recommend ~ though it won't help you for the last cruise it could help for the next!

1. Unisom. Bring a bottle of that and take it 30 minutes before bed. Do not take it with motion sickness meds or Benadryl as they have the same active ingredient. Unisom is over the counter and safer then most prescription sleeping pills. Also if you have had alochol don't take it either but that is common sense :p

2. Hands down my favorite thing to do on vacation and I can't sleep is asking a bartender to make me a hot toddy. I am a HUGE fan of hot toddys. Now that my kids are older ~ when they get the flu or feel icky I make them one. Yes, its booze but its a million times safer and better for them then most of the drugs on the market these days. A properly made hot toddy will wipe you out for hours! You will sleep like the dead. Its also the best thing ever for fevers, chills, congestion, PMS, a fight with your spouse ... anything! :p

3. Ear plugs. Make sure to shop around a bit and find a comfy pair that fit properly. Since i am such a light sleeper stuff touching me (including my husband!) keeps me awake. I make sure the earplugs don't distract from my sleep. DH and I usually snuggle for 5-10 minutes and then its hands off! I love him dearly but if he cuddles I can't fall asleep.

4. Relaxation CD's and white noise. I am not into yoga and have half a brain but those CD's REALLY work if you get a good one. I have one now that i have yet to make it to the end of before falling asleep! Here is a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Into-Blue-Underwater-Relaxation-Meditation/dp/B004H825WW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337693653&sr=8-4

I am not into new age crap but man o man does that make me pass out!

This is another fav by the same people. Love this and again I can' stay awake when I use it! This is probably my favorite "song selection" they have. Good luck listening to the sample and not falling asleep!

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Deep-Sleep-Underwater-Sounds/dp/B004H82676/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337693653&sr=8-1

omg me 2 - i can't believe you did that as well but i guess everyone has their breaking point. but not to give it a chance...

I'm usually looking to stow away...not get off at the end of a cruise. LOL moreover getting off during one.

Archived