How do you stand mulitiple days at sea on your cruise?

librarygal

On a typical sea day, my itinerary includes: table tennis, deck quoits, cricket, port lecture, other lecture, reading, puzzles, walk-a-mile, theatre show, individual quiz, team quiz, eating. It's enough to keep me busy. Eight consecutive days at sea is my record, and it was fine.

I don't get the OP's idea about it not being warm enough to enjoy the deck. How on earth do you "enjoy" a deck? If you mean that you like sitting there sunbathing all day - then why would lack of anything to do be boring? It's beach holidays, lying around all day doing nothing, that I would find excruciatingly dull.

we are taking the " Final Destiny" across the pond in Feb 2013. The first 10 days are at sea.. I am a bit worried about the last few. I have never sailed anything more than 7 days around Hawaii and the Caribbean. I am sure it will be a blast and very relaxing to get away from the fast pace of San Pedro, Belize.;):D

[quote name='Irishman45']....I really don't understand the cruises to one port and the ship just sits at the dock day after day.[/quote]That is the way that many people who are lucky enough to have a private yacht choose to do it.

Cruises that stay at one port for several days give you the best of both, using the ship as your hotel with adequate time to explore each location, and then moving on to your next destination without needing to keep packing and unpacking, checking in and out of hotels or airports.

Some of the rushed and hectic commercial European cruises, especially where you get only one day for a scenic, historic port, remind me of the title of an old movie called If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium.

Like the other "seasoned" cruisers, I love the sea days... But only when the weather is nice.

If we get a cold and rainy sea day, I get very restless looking for something to do indoors. One three things to do: Eat, Drink, Sleep. That said, I really love the way the ship rocks on rough rainy sea days!

I've never been on a cold weather cruise so I can't comment on those, however I thoroughly enjoy sea days on my Caribbean cruises. I prefer them to port days and try to find routes with as many as possible. I only cruise for a week at a time divi can comment on how I'd fare on a month long cruise with a ton of sea days. Maybe in another 30 years I'll get to find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='crooooze']Like the other "seasoned" cruisers, I love the sea days... But only when the weather is nice.

If we get a cold and rainy sea day, I get very restless looking for something to do indoors. One three things to do: Eat, Drink, Sleep. That said, I really love the way the ship rocks on rough rainy sea days![/QUOTE]
We love sea days and never sit at the pool. There are many activities at least on the ships we have sailed.

[quote name='lisiamc']I love having nothing to do and all day to do it. And it's astonishing how much time it takes to do not very much. By the time we've had breakfast, gone to a lecture, worked out in the gym, had lunch, played trivia, walked some laps around the deck, had tea, gone for a cocktail, had dinner and seen the show, we're exhausted and need a rest! :D[/quote]

LOL, how true.

I suspect folks who do not like sea days, don't know how to slow down and relax.

[quote name='librarygal']Generally I [B]love[/B] to go on cruises but [B]hate[/B] certain aspects of the experience. (Which I have discussed in some of my earlier posts)

One thing I hate is the days at sea. I don't understand the appeal, especially multiple days at sea if the weather is cold.

Cruise brochures are full of cruises that spend the majority of their time at sea with no shore excursions- or land to look at for days at a time, moving across cold places where it would be too chilly to enjoy the deck or the walking path on top of the ship.

Generally I feel disorientated and bored on the days at sea and pick cruises that have as few days at sea as possible.

How do you[B] stand[/B] multiple days at sea on your cruise?[/quote]

[I][COLOR=blue]On our last cruise to Hawaii...4 sea days to get there and 4 sea days to get back.......[/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=#0000ff]I had breakfast with two of the funniest men I've ever met. One was 91 years old from Palm Springs. He was full of life...plays golf, tennis, and several musical instrument. He said he just got married. I said "You're kidding!" He said: "No...my new bride (76 yrs old) yelled at me the other day and said "come up stairs so we can have s_x!" He responded: "Well make up your mind!, I can't do both!"[/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=#0000ff]My point is...we love sea days...it is absolutely the best time to meet some wonderful people....:):):):):)[/COLOR][/I]

[quote name='librarygal']

How do you[B] stand[/B] multiple days at sea on your cruise?[/QUOTE]

I don't stand them. I sit down (at slot machines, at trivia, at bingo, at meals) and lay down (reading on deck, having a nice afternoon nap or sleeping in) a lot, but no need to stand for several days LOL

Our cruises with back-to-back sea days have all been to the Caribbean. I love them. The more the better. Although I also enjoy stopping at some ports and staying on the ship when it's not as crowded.

[quote name='swsfrail']Some people have evolved to the point that they don't need constant stimulation to enjoy themselves. I sleep in late, have a relaxing breakfast, read a book (some people still know what those are), stroll around the ship for fresh air and exercise, and generally take it easy. If I want to be entertained, there is always plenty to do. Sea days are a perfect cure to recover from busy shore days.

Sea days are appreciated by this veteran cruiser.[/QUOTE]
I love to read on deck on sea days and am looking forward to testing the kindle my grandson gave me. I never thought I would use a kindle, but, have found I love it. I can make the print bigger, which I really love ( senior citizen here) and its easy to carry lots of books in the small kindle. Hope I don't lose it on the cruise!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We haven't had more than 2 consecutive sea days, but on our last B2B's we did have 8 out of 14 days, and another 6 out of 9 days as sea days. Some of the sea days were hot and humid, some cool and very rough, but we loved them all. We don't spend that much time on ship activities, but spend the days mostly reading on our Kindles, just watching the changing moods and amazing beauty and power of the sea. We read, listen to music on our iPods, write in travel journals, download photos to our laptop and label them, do puzzles, and, amazingly....just talk to each other! And don't forget another great activity - people watching and meeting and talking to other passengers. We do get a little restless at about the "end of day 2" point, but it passes quickly. I think a lot of your feelings about sea days depends on your ability to entertain yourself vs. external entertainment. Some love the quiet, some hate it.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='librarygal']Generally I [B]love[/B] to go on cruises but [B]hate[/B] certain aspects of the experience. (Which I have discussed in some of my earlier posts)

One thing I hate is the days at sea. I don't understand the appeal, especially multiple days at sea if the weather is cold.

Cruise brochures are full of cruises that spend the majority of their time at sea with no shore excursions- or land to look at for days at a time, moving across cold places where it would be too chilly to enjoy the deck or the walking path on top of the ship.

Generally I feel disorientated and bored on the days at sea and pick cruises that have as few days at sea as possible.

If you don't like sea days, then do not book a cruise that has them. The literary is not a secret. There are cruises that do not have sea days (just look for them).

We love to relax and hear the ocean... it's kinda like those that go to the beach to hear the ocean. We also read and sometimes do other activities such as go to the sauna, swimming or relax in the hot tub. We also bring binoculars and look for sea life.

[quote name='paul929207']To me, I am not on vacation until I reach the point where I do not know the date or the day of the week and I don't care.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I agree..
Cori

[quote name='pris993']

I suspect folks who do not like sea days, don't know how to slow down and relax.[/quote]

Lol, not true! I find the whole cruise to be relaxing. It's time away to get away from it all for me. I just don't care for too many sea days. We all have different likes and dislikes, that's all.

[quote name='librarygal']

to each their own. sea days happen to be our favorite part and rarely, if ever leave the ship in port, no matter what the weather.

and FTR we do NOT do pool side under any circumstances. closest we'll get is the hot tubs in the adult only areas.

so what do we do? we spend a lot of time relaxing in our cabin or a quiet place reading. there can be wonderful enrichment programs to participate n like wine tastings.

for us a cruise is ENFORCED downtime.. DH works about 50-60 hours a week and our weekends tend to be gogogo all the time taking care of chores and errands or driving up to NY to visit family.

we use the time to catch up on sleep, rest and recharge.

My one great desire is to go on a nice Trans oceanic cruise with all sea days except one or 2 at each end. Maybe in a few years when he retires

I am cruising to Hawaii next year and will have 9 sea days during that cruise. This cruise will be very port intensive in the middle of the cruise, so I am thinking the first group of sea days will relax us prior and the last group of sea days will be recuperative. I have never been on a cruise with this many sea days, but I wanted to try it.

Archived