Another Beverage Card Question/Issue

andyandsue

After reading everything I can find on the topic of Beverage Cards, Wine Packages, and Soda Cards, I think the big $250 card is the way I want to go for our 11-night cruise in November, and I will probably get 2 of them!:rolleyes: I like the idea of this type of card MUCH better than the all-you-can-drink soda packages that are found on other lines. A beverage card seems like it allows maximum flexibility while still offering a small discount.

I've ruled out any kind of a wine package because the selection is just too limited for people who drink red almost exclusively, and usually choose either a Cab or a Pinot Noir (and are somewhat "picky":o). We'll probably bring 4-6 bottles with us, and then use the cards to purchase what we want from the whole wine list instead of being confined to a limited selection due to a package. I do like paying for things ahead of time which is why I was considering a package, but the Beverage Cards seem like they would work much better for us than a pre-set list. I think if we buy 5-6 bottles of wine as well as the occasional soda, mixed drink, bottled water, etc., we shouldn't have any problem using 2 cards in 11 nights.

A couple questions...

• If we didn't use all of both cards, is the difference refunded at the end of the cruise?
  • Can we use a beverage card for corkage fees? Yes

Thanks for your help!:)

Use one card at a time -- that way you will get the full $250 value. Whatever you have left on the second card -- you will be refunded up to the $225 that you paid for the card. So if you use $215 on the card -- then you will get credited with $10.

Those cards go very quickly because they also take off the 15% gratuity from the cards.

The discount on the cards is, in my opinion, a nice bonus...but even if they DIDN'T have a discount I would still buy and use them. It made it far easier to track the drink spending.

I can't remember who had mentioned this tip on a different thread (RuthC, perhaps?) but by using the $250 drink card I had just ONE charge on my account for a big chunk of drinks. We would keep the most recent receipt that had the remaining balance on the card so we would know where our account for drinks stood at any given time. When we ordered a new 'round', we would just check the receipt to see that the proper amount had been deducted from the card and that the balance was right, saving that one and tossing the old one.

No big pile of drink receipts to keep and check against our on-board account.

Our TA had graciously gifted us each a $50 beverage card ($100 total) and we pre-purchased a $250 card before our sail date. That $350 lasted us nearly all week long; I think only our dinner and after-dinner drinks on the final night were posted to our on-board account.

I used the 'new' Beverage card for the first time last November. The wine steward told us that the corkage fee had to be charged to our room card not our beverage card. You can always ask - but don't be surprised if they say no. (I just mention it in case it varies from ship to ship).

My husband and I shared a $250 beverage card and after the initial purchase/activation no room key card is necessary. The charges are just deducted like a gift card. The remaining balance is always on your charge slip.

Soda card.. we all three got sodas at once on our son's soda card. It is not restricted to one person. Again, a room card is needed to initially activate it but past that, he just handed them his soda card and kept track of the remaining balance via the charge slips. Great for kiddos who do not have charging privileges on their room key. All they really need to buy are sodas anyway.

Hope this helps :)

I used the 'new' Beverage card for the first time last November. The wine steward told us that the corkage fee had to be charged to our room card not our beverage card. You can always ask - but don't be surprised if they say no. (I just mention it in case it varies from ship to ship).

Interesting and very good to know.

We cruised on the Noordam in March and used our beverage card for corkage in the MDR, Lido, Aft Pool bar, and Pinnacle without issue. Wish they would make the beverage card usage policy consistent across the line. :confused:

I could have sworn that just a few months ago I paid $90 for each $100 beverage card. Has that ended?...does the 10% discount now only apply to $250 beverage cards?

Yes, unfortunately they have done away with the $100 cards. :(

I will be on b2b's this fall. Does anyone know...if I buy a $250 beverage card on the first cruise and don't use it all up by the end of that sailing, can I apply the remaining balance on the card toward beverage purchases on the 2nd of the b2b's? (The b2b's are not considered a collectors voyage.). Thanks.

We were in the middle of a Collectors Cruise November 2011 when the change occured.

First segment we were able to buy the $100 cards for $90. There was no warning or mention that on our second segment the new cards would go into place. When we went to buy the cards a couple of days into the new cruise -- the bar tender said that there was no longer a "deal" on the $100 cards.

The discount on the cards is, in my opinion, a nice bonus...but even if they DIDN'T have a discount I would still buy and use them. It made it far easier to track the drink spending.

I can't remember who had mentioned this tip on a different thread (RuthC, perhaps?) but by using the $250 drink card I had just ONE charge on my account for a big chunk of drinks. We would keep the most recent receipt that had the remaining balance on the card so we would know where our account for drinks stood at any given time. When we ordered a new 'round', we would just check the receipt to see that the proper amount had been deducted from the card and that the balance was right, saving that one and tossing the old one.

No big pile of drink receipts to keep and check against our on-board account.

Our TA had graciously gifted us each a $50 beverage card ($100 total) and we pre-purchased a $250 card before our sail date. That $350 lasted us nearly all week long; I think only our dinner and after-dinner drinks on the final night were posted to our on-board account.

I know that I have mentioned several times over the last few months how much easier it is to have the Beverage cards and not have all those receipts to check at the end of the cruise.

And I know I have mentioned that I keep the last slip just so I know how much is left on the card.

I can't remember who had mentioned this tip on a different thread (RuthC, perhaps?)

Perhaps. I am but one of a few of us who have said that.

Interesting and very good to know.

We cruised on the Noordam in March and used our beverage card for corkage in the MDR, Lido, Aft Pool bar, and Pinnacle without issue. Wish they would make the beverage card usage policy consistent across the line. :confused:

Well, that's good news for us next time:) The beverage cards were brand new on the ship when we used them - perhaps they didn't know? Once we get to France, I suspect some of those bottles may find their way to the MDR;) and if I can use our beverage cards to pay the corkage it will make life very easy (and me sure to use them up):D

Well, that's good news for us next time:) The beverage cards were brand new on the ship when we used them - perhaps they didn't know? Once we get to France, I suspect some of those bottles may find their way to the MDR;) and if I can use our beverage cards to pay the corkage it will make life very easy (and me sure to use them up):D

Sounds delightful. I know you will have a lovely time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the Oosterdam/Alaska cruise.

We were able to use the beverage card for corkage in the MDR and PG. As someone stated, in order to activate the card, you need someone's room key. Someone bought a bunch of beverage cards as a gifts and gave them to PAX in his group, but had his name on the cards. When another person tried to activate the card, they were told they could not because the name on the card was different. They said this was done in case someone lost a card prior to activating.

I do have an issue with the Soda card. I was told on-board that the Soda card was specifically only for small glasses of soda. I could not use the card to purchase a can of soda. The price for the small glass was $1.50 plus tip, while the price of a can of soda was about $1.95ish plus tip. With ice, the glass could only hold half a can of soda. Not sure if this policy is new, or different on the "O", but it seems that the value of the Soda card has just been diminished.

Thoughts?

Just off the Oosterdam/Alaska cruise. I do have an issue with the Soda card. I was told on-board that the Soda card was specifically only for small glasses of soda. I could not use the card to purchase a can of soda. The price for the small glass was $1.50 plus tip, while the price of a can of soda was about $1.95ish plus tip. With ice, the glass could only hold half a can of soda. Not sure if this policy is new, or different on the "O", but it seems that the value of the Soda card has just been diminished.

Thoughts?

That is definitely a new development and not a good one! :mad: I wonder if this is fleet-wide?

Just off the Oosterdam/Alaska cruise.

I do have an issue with the Soda card. I was told on-board that the Soda card was specifically only for small glasses of soda. I could not use the card to purchase a can of soda. The price for the small glass was $1.50 plus tip, while the price of a can of soda was about $1.95ish plus tip. With ice, the glass could only hold half a can of soda. Not sure if this policy is new, or different on the "O", but it seems that the value of the Soda card has just been diminished.

Thoughts?

I was on the Ryndam Jun 9 - 23rd and was able to get cans of soda on the soda card. There was no mention of small glasses of soda.

Would someone tell me the pros and cons to purchasing a beverage card opposed to "on-board credit". Can't on-board credit be used for anything, including wine, beer, soda, etc? And do you get a "card" for on-board credit?

Thanks!

Would someone tell me the pros and cons to purchasing a beverage card opposed to "on-board credit". Can't on-board credit be used for anything, including wine, beer, soda, etc? And do you get a "card" for on-board credit?

Thanks!

On-board credit is just that---a credit on your account, which applies toward all debits. Those debits can be purchases; they can also be the Hotel Service Charge. Credits apply on a dollar for dollar basis. There is no card.

If you purchase a soda card for $25, you can purchase $50 worth of soda. The first $25 worth are at full price, and the next $25 worth are free. If you don't purchase $25 worth, the balance of the purchase price is refunded. One pro is the financial advantage for those whio purchase more than $25 worth of soda.

Another advantage is you don't have to keep track of lots of little sales slips you would need to proof your bill that last morning. Just one charge shows---the one for the original card.

I have always been given a full can of soda with my card. Cans of soda are $2.24 each, for a total of 22 sodas when using the card.

Let's hope the wine steward or bartender was misinformed, and this is not a new policy.

On-board credit is just that---a credit on your account, which applies toward all debits. Those debits can be purchases; they can also be the Hotel Service Charge. Credits apply on a dollar for dollar basis. There is no card.

So do ya'll buy on-board credit AND beverage cards? (I'm not interested in soda cards)

Archived