No Jacket? - Formal Night - Med Cruise

Samantha781

Not bad advice, just the truth. We are Elite on X and we do dress formal on Formal Nights. We are just posting what we experienced on the past 2 X cruises in the Med. This subject has been beaten to death. Why not just let it die?

I agree with you that the subject has been beaten to death and I have witnessed the same thing as you, no jacket, none give out. However telling people people they don't enforce it is wrong because they do. Problem is they should either be consistent or not but don't give people bad advice, they are the ones who may be embarassed not you..

I agree with you that the subject has been beaten to death and I have witnessed the same thing as you, no jacket, none give out. However telling people people they don't enforce it is wrong because they do. Problem is they should either be consistent or not but don't give people bad advice, they are the ones who may be embarassed not you..

We totally agree that they 'X' should enforce it or don't try to skirt around it. What good does giving a man a jacket so it can be hung on a chair?

Again, I am not giving BAD ADVICE. I am just posting my experiences on our last two X cruises. You say they enforce it, and I say I have not seen it enforced. So, you are right when you say you saw it and I am right when I said I did not see it being enforced.

To me, they enforce the Captain's Afternoon get together more than the Formal night. There are too many things that are wishie-washie on each ship. There are no standards that are fleet wide. We accepted what goes on since we cannot change it. However, we do voice our opinion when it is necessary.

We bring formal wear so I really don’t have a dog in this fight BUT...... why is this bad advice? At first glance I thought it was great idea.

Thanks, M

It's bad advice because there is no formal "service" by Celebrity to supply jackets to those that don't have them on formal night. They may or may not have one to lend you and you may be left embarrassed. Personally I wouldn't want the staff at the restaurant to have to go off and try and find a jacket for me that someone else has worn.

Phil

I thought Larry gave a very fair, non-judgmental, non-snarky response.

There are now so many options available to those who don't want to dress formally on formal night. But if you insist on eating in the MDR on formal night instead of taking advantage of one of those options, then take the trouble to pack a jacket or carry one onto the plane. It's not that big a deal.

Yes he will be turned away if he does not have a jacket. They may lend him one. We had someone on our Celebrity Infinity cruise to alaska that did not have a jacket and they lent him one, right then and there, and he was wearing jeans and sneakers. Many me took off their jackets once they passed the front door past the hostess. It is very silly in my opinion but we abide by the rules or opt out away from the MDR and use either the buffet or one of the alternative restaurants.

Happy sailing.

It's bad advice because there is no formal "service" by Celebrity to supply jackets to those that don't have them on formal night. They may or may not have one to lend you and you may be left embarrassed. Personally I wouldn't want the staff at the restaurant to have to go off and try and find a jacket for me that someone else has worn.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

M

Just wonder, what is the max weight of allowed luggage, travelling from the US, Canada or Australia to Europe?

Travelling from Europe to US we are (almost always) allowed one piece of 23 kg each and one piece handluggage each. For a 14 day vacation that's more than enough (yes, we take a jacket, a tux, 3 cocktaildresses).

So, I just wonder :confused:

It's 50 pounds in the US but 20 kilos (44 pounds) in Europe. Flying to the ship was not a problem, but flying back to the US, (from Barcelona) I was charged for the same bag.

On our 14 day on the Equinox, one gentleman at our table was given a jacket when he entered. I would suppose you cold check with them on day one to make sure they are available.

Frankly, despite several people taking and wearing tuxes on the cruise, they were few and far between at the early seating on formal nights.

The OP has probably read this thread and made up there mind as to what they would do and discussion ad nauseum will not change their mind. They have read the rules and then asked for advice about it. Now they have opinions as well.

At the end of the day, they will show up at the MDR on formal night and whether they have a jacket or not or whether they get in or not, they will feel justified with whatever dicision they made. Bring a jacket or don't bring a jacket and rent one or just don't bother.:D

It's 50 pounds in the US but 20 kilos (44 pounds) in Europe. Flying to the ship was not a problem, but flying back to the US, (from Barcelona) I was charged for the same bag.

If your two flights were on the same ticket with the originating flight from the US the 50 pound limit would apply to the flights returning to the US. If they applied the 20 Kilo rule then you were scamed by the airline (we have thwarted a similar attempt at Rome's Ciampino Airport.

Hank

Hi,

we have just returned from our Equinox cruise and I must say the dress code was very informal. Very few gents wore a tux even on formal night, some didn't wear a suit. I'm not knocking this in fact we found it quite refreshing not to have to put on the glad rags every night. I wish we had known in advance so hubby wouldn't have packed two suits, extra trousers and a jacket......it would have left more room for my shoes and handbags:D

On our 11 night only 2xformal all the rest were designated informal.

On Solstice and silly in Med past 6 months and never saw them enforce any formal dress option in MDR. Never even seen them issue jackets. They don't enforce it!

Wear the shirt and tie, or shirt and no tie. Go for it! If you are questioned, then oh well. There was just a thread that ended yesterday that went on for 8 pages regarding this question. IMO the dress "suggestions" are not enforced at all and you can reasonably wear what you want. You'll fit in perfectly no matter what anyone else says. Some say go to the buffet. But what if you don't want to go to the buffet? Go to the MDR and enjoy your meal.

As long as you look nicely dressed, I don't care what you wear.

Having said that, my husband still takes his tux on Caribbean cruises.

On our last Med cruise, we decided that a Sports Jacket and tie was more practical. So....the cruise was cancelled on day 2 and he never got to wear it! On future Med cruises, I am sure he will bring the same.

One reminder, though. It can be cool in the MDR and it is a good idea to have a jacket or nice sweater. I guess the jacket will be more serviceable.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I have not read every post so here I go. My DH and I Sailed the USA and Canada last year and managed to pack his Jacket. What do they weigh next to nothing.

Edited by DEEDIA

Wear the shirt and tie, or shirt and no tie. Go for it! If you are questioned, then oh well. There was just a thread that ended yesterday that went on for 8 pages regarding this question. IMO the dress "suggestions" are not enforced at all and you can reasonably wear what you want. You'll fit in perfectly no matter what anyone else says. Some say go to the buffet. But what if you don't want to go to the buffet? Go to the MDR and enjoy your meal.

That is not nice to give the OP false information; you are expressing your personal opinion of what the policy should be, not the actual policy. FYI Celebrity does not have a "suggestion" - they have a "dress code" and they ask that all guests abide by the dress code. That said it is hit-or-miss whether (and how strictly) they enforce the dress code. I have seen some cruises where it was enforced, some where it was partially enforced and some where it was not enforced. The correct answer to the OP's question is they may or may not be admitted to the MDR if they do not abide by the dress code; nobody knows what will happen since enforcement is so inconsistent. Fortunately Celebrity has made it very easy for those who do not wish to dress up on formal nights; the MDR is the ONLY place on the ship where they require formal attire. Every other venue is either smart casual or casual.

This is your opinion. How can you reasonably give an opinion on this matter if you've been on one Oasis cruise since 1992 and never been on Celebrity?:confused:

It seems most of the poor advice comes from people who have either never been or been on very few Celebrity cruises. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Edited by Ma Bell

This is as dumb a bit of information as if you were saying that "IMO" it is fine to take you pants off in the MDR and dine in only your underwear, or to eat with your hands, or to use the chair upholstery as your napkin. After all, it is only a "suggestion" that people behave in a civilized manner, so if you don't want to, then "Go for it!"

It's been said by other posters, and I fully agree - providing misinformation is a disservice to other cruisers.

Just another bad advice comment from someone who, "IMO", should be keeping their poorly developed opinions to themselves.

Edited by fortinweb

This is your opinion. How can you reasonably give an opinion on this matter if you've been on one Oasis cruise since 1992 and never been on Celebrity?:confused:

It seems most of the poor advice comes from people who have either never been or been on very few Celebrity cruises. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

You are absolutely right, I pointed that out in the thread that was closed yesterday. Posters who have never been on Celebrity giving out information, you have to wonder about the motivation.

There are a lot of opinions and personal bias in this thread. Reading back I still think I presented the most accurate set of facts in my post (#3 in this thread) which included the following:

• Unfortunately Celebrity has been inconsistent in their enforcement of the formal night dress code.
  • The bottom line is that your husband may or may not be allowed in without a jacket.

Those are the facts.

If I were to include my own personal bias I'd tell you that you MUST wear a proper tux, that virtually every other man does so, and that if you attempt to dine without one you'll be humiliated, fined a gazillion dollars and forced to walk the plank. But instead of making up things based on my formal night bias I've present the basic facts. These are based on both my own observations in recent years and on reading a lot of threads and member reports here on cruise critic.

Edited by Lsimon