Do You Want a Scale in your Bathroom on the Ship?

sail7seas

No! I've lost 25 lbs since the new year and plan to pay attention to healthy eating while cruising, but I don't want to worry about it with a reminder every time I go to my cabin. If I put on a few pounds on the cruise, then I'll work them off when I get home.

[quote name='ducklite']Don't go by what the scale at home said, go by what the scale you'll be using on the cruise said on the first day of the cruise. If it says 180 the first time you step on it, then that's the benchmark to determine if your weight is headed up or down. If it's teetering near 195 at the end of the cruise you've gained weight. If it's at 182, that could be simple fluid retention that will drop off on it's own when you return to your regular climate or diet.[/quote]

[B] You're right. Get a baseline measure when you first board and use that same scale to work off of that baseline. If it stays stable, you didn't gain. Doesn't matter if it matches your scale at home..... it just measures 'against itself'.

[/B]

Since I normally lose weight on a cruise, I'd welcome a scale in my stateroom. If I know for certain that I'm down 2 pounds, I am definitely up for getting myself some extra sweets! :)

Donna, you could be excommunicated from this group for such a statement! :) Losing weight??? How, pray tell, do you manage that? Please share.

But the point is: not all ships have a scale anywhere!

I doubt that there is not a scale somewhere passengers can use. But if you must have one then bring your own. A scale is not something that the cruise line needs to or should spend money on as an amenity.

Don't go by what the scale at home said, go by what the scale you'll be using on the cruise said on the first day of the cruise. If it says 180 the first time you step on it, then that's the benchmark to determine if your weight is headed up or down. If it's teetering near 195 at the end of the cruise you've gained weight. If it's at 182, that could be simple fluid retention that will drop off on it's own when you return to your regular climate or diet.

Yeah, I know that much:)

If you are really worried about it, you should do a search on Amazon. Just type in travel scale. Mini scales will come up (along with luggage scales) that will weigh up to 400 lbs. in .2 increments. They are not too heavy, around 1.5 lbs. and you can get some for as little as $22.

You would think there would be some enterprising business in the US cruise ports that had shops for all these things like we see in so many of the foreign cruise ports which are virtual emporiums for the crews port shopping needs.

We got some of our best souvenirs following all the crew members off to one of these shops obscurely located among all the industrial equipment and stacked containers in Salalah, Oman. Hong Kong and Singapore are great places to stock up on cabin amenities you don't want to pack if you have some time before departure.

If you are really worried about it, you should do a search on Amazon. Just type in travel scale. Mini scales will come up (along with luggage scales) that will weigh up to 400 lbs. in .2 increments. They are not too heavy, around 1.5 lbs. and you can get some for as little as $22.

Great idea. If I can find one for a decent price that only weighs 1.5 pounds, I want it. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

The only time I might possibly think of bringing one would be on a cruise that's longer than 3 weeks....maybe :D

As for taking up room in the bathroom, I would keep it in a drawer or on the floor of the closet. Definitely wouldn't want it taking up valuable real estate in the bathroom. :D

The only time I might possibly think of bringing one would be on a cruise that's longer than 3 weeks....maybe :D

As for taking up room in the bathroom, I would keep it in a drawer or on the floor of the closet. Definitely wouldn't want it taking up valuable real estate in the bathroom. :D

We find on longer cruises we gain less weight. The novelty of it all wears off and we get back into pretty routine choices everyday. We also know we don't have to eat it all because yes, it, or something like it, will be there for us again tomorrow! :p Eyes and stomach find a better match after a few weeks. Thank goodness.

We find on longer cruises we gain less weight. The novelty of it all wears off and we get back into pretty routine choices everyday. We also know we don't have to eat it all because yes, it, or something like it, will be there for us again tomorrow! :p Eyes and stomach find a better match after a few weeks. Thank goodness.

I have heard this, good to know! The longest cruise we've taken so far is 15 days -- looking forward to 3-4+ weeks soon when we're retired. :)

I just bought a travel scale on Amazon. :)

Let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

It did not specifically say how much it weights so hopefully it doesn't add lots of pounds to my luggage.

that's a very good point SwissMyst - I have to say the same thing. Our longest is 20 days. On a 10 day I am guaranteed to put on a pound or two. On a 20 day, nothing:D:D Can't wait to see what happens on a 31 day:) hope I didn't just jinx it;)

It probably says how much it weighs down on the page. The ones I've looked at are all under 2 lbs. Haven't bought one yet, so not sure how accurate they are.

Also, when you get yours on the ship, weigh yourself and go by that weight as to if you gain or not. Being at a different elevation may effect it. Probably won't be the same as it is at home.

It probably says how much it weighs down on the page. The ones I've looked at are all under 2 lbs. Haven't bought one yet, so not sure how accurate they are.

Also, when you get yours on the ship, weigh yourself and go by that weight as to if you gain or not. Being at a different elevation may effect it. Probably won't be the same as it is at home.

Yes, good point about getting a baseline reading from THAT scale; not my home scale.

I read the page very carefully and looked everywhere to find the weight but all it said was 'lightweight'. That's wasn't as informative as I would have liked.

There were a great many reviews presumably from real customers and they overwhelmingly praised the product.

I'm eager to receive it and see for myself.

The price was very moderate and if all it holds itself out to be, it will be worth it to me. I'm even willing to give up taking one extra pair of shoes to make up for what I hope is all the weight will be.

that's a very good point SwissMyst - I have to say the same thing. Our longest is 20 days. On a 10 day I am guaranteed to put on a pound or two. On a 20 day, nothing:D:D Can't wait to see what happens on a 31 day:) hope I didn't just jinx it;)

Since our next really big one will be 51 days, I figure I will finally actually lose weight if the duration of cruise trick actually works. :p

2 weeks - gain weight: see food ->eat all

4 weeks - break even: see food ->ignore some

6 weeks --- it just has to mean: see food -> don't touch a darn thing

Right? :confused:

Archived