we want RCL Explorer inlaws want NCL breakaway help!

cruisewithbaby

next year we are taking a cruise with our then 18mo and 3yr children, my single mom who wants a balcony bc its her first and last cruise, inlaws in their 60's and another couple in their 60's. we went on NCL last yr when we had 1 child who was 15mo. inlaws came too. inlaws also just went on NCL this year with the other couple. husband and i have been on carnival and RC pre baby. now inlaws are pretty much insisting we go on the newest NCL ship,breakaway next summer but RC Explorer seems MUCH more geared toward what we cold actually use and we could get an RC owners suite for the price of a NCL balcony. mom in law is refusing to switch bc 1. she really wants to see the new ship even though she doesnt do ANY of the activities they have onboard and 2. on thier last trip they purchased $250 towards a future NCL cruise so did the other couple, they paid $250 and got $250 towards next cruise and $250 OBC for one they were on. There are one night cruises etc on breakaway from NY that they could use it on to just "see" the new ship.

Plus my mom's single rate is insane on new ship. what do I do, get prices etc for RC give it to inlaws and say we are going and be strong about it?? HELP.

Tell the inlaws that the Explorer works much better for your little family and, while you would love to have them and their friends join you, you certainly understand if it doesn't work for them. The ball is then totally in their court and you get the ship you want.

Looking at ships - I would NO DOUBT go with your INLAWS!!!! Sorry ;)

The breakaway is going to be incredible and I live very close to Explorer and cancelled it because everyone who I know and TRUST keeps getting on it and telling me how worn she is. The Explorers prices do not justify the wear and tear. She truly needs some tender loving care. And the only reason she is getting that price is because it's the only RCI ship sitting in NJ.

Stepping off of my soap box. But if I was choosing for my family - I would go with your Inlaws too.

next year we are taking a cruise with our then 18mo and 3yr children, my single mom who wants a balcony bc its her first and last cruise, inlaws in their 60's and another couple in their 60's. we went on NCL last yr when we had 1 child who was 15mo. inlaws came too. inlaws also just went on NCL this year with the other couple. husband and i have been on carnival and RC pre baby. now inlaws are pretty much insisting we go on the newest NCL ship,breakaway next summer but RC Explorer seems MUCH more geared toward what we cold actually use and we could get an RC owners suite for the price of a NCL balcony. mom in law is refusing to switch bc 1. she really wants to see the new ship even though she doesnt do ANY of the activities they have onboard and 2. on thier last trip they purchased $250 towards a future NCL cruise so did the other couple, they paid $250 and got $250 towards next cruise and $250 OBC for one they were on. There are one night cruises etc on breakaway from NY that they could use it on to just "see" the new ship.

Plus my mom's single rate is insane on new ship. what do I do, get prices etc for RC give it to inlaws and say we are going and be strong about it?? HELP.

If your In-laws are paying, go on whatever ship makes them happy, Every cruise is an awesome cruise and Breakaway no doubt will not disappoint anyone. On the other hand, I advocate for families to make their own decisions and to not be swayed by parents [and their friends] who, since you mentioned their ages, probably have more time to cruise than your new and growing family does. If you're not comfortable with their decision, make pro and con lists and be upfront that its something you wish you could swing but just dont feel comfortable doing.

How much extra will the single supplement cost your Mom? This is also a consideration, in fact it seems sort of rude for your inlaws to insist on the more expensive ship without thought to your Mom's needs and expenses.

• 9 months later...

We did EPIC and LOVED it with our kids. We liked it so much we are sailing again this fall. We had a similar issue last Thanksgiving. My parents and in-laws wanted Carnival Dream and we wanted another line. We had just sailed that ship 4 months before and it was one of our worst cruises. We ended up giving in and actually had a nice cruise. See if you all can come to a nice compromise. I doubt you would be disappointed in the Breakaway. Its a great ship all around.

I think you're going to end up sailing on the ship they want too If I'd paid for credits that needed to be used, I'd probably advocate for the same.

That said...we're about to cruise in two weeks. I was choosing between Disney, Royal, and NCL. I ended up ruling out NCL really early on because, if I recall correctly, they don't have anything for kids under 3 years old? I could be off base on that, but I know that some rule had changed recently for them. If that's important to you, you may want to present that to them...after researching it far better than I'm explaining it here!

We were looking for a change from Carnival and compared the Explorer and the Breakaway. Recent reviews from the Explorer were mixed and not great and the ship seems to be a little worn based on some comments I read. I admit I'm dazzled by the Breakaway and its offerings so we booked it! We also got a studio (NCL offers single cruisers studio room options) for my mother in law and with her AARP discount for around $1200. She paid over $1500 to be a single on the Triumph 5 day to Canada a few years ago so we considered that a bargain. Ultimately, as others have said, it's your family and your vacation and only you can decide what's best.

We've done the EPIC twice(similar to the Breakaway) and we just were on the Explorerer a few months ago. There is NO comparison. We are early 40's with 2 children 8 and 23. The activities, entertainment, dining - all very much superior on the EPIC. We've been on 35 +/- cruises - sorry to say the Explorer is in the bottom 1/3. We don't expect to be busy every minute - we love relaxing. But, we were soooo bored on the Explorer - nothing interesting to do. Food and entertainment was okay, but nothing exciting. If the Breakaway is anything like the EPIC - I would choose it in a second. We can't wait to try her.

Tell the inlaws that the Explorer works much better for your little family and, while you would love to have them and their friends join you, you certainly understand if it doesn't work for them. The ball is then totally in their court and you get the ship you want.

I agree. Stand up for what works best for you!!

to avoid mom's single supplement charge, can you book your child in with her room, if you were paying full fare on your children. just an idea??

This! Yes!

I'd have to go with what the majority wants if you want to go on a group cruise. (Breakaway would be my choice though.)

We are going on an extended family cruise and its not what I would have chosen, but I was out voted so I'll be happy I'm on a cruise at all.

Archived