Everyone and a Maxi?

sail7seas

Is it just me who is not buying maxi dresses for our cruises? I just can't get into wearing them. I know they're very popular but I'm happier in slacks/capri/crop pants. I like knee length dresses in the evenings unless dressing very formal in gown.

Just me?

I didn't bring any on my cruise last September. But I wear them at home quite a bit - mostly for work. I've brought maxis on my past 3 trips (non-cruise) this year as well. I also wear knee length skirts & dresses. I like both.

I love maxi dresses .My legs are not my best attribute . I have bought several that I bling up with jewelry for evening .They are so easy . Just pull on the dress and add sandals . Mine are all from JJill and are linen or a knit fabric. I also have a Hawaiian print silk one that I wear for Caribbean cruises.

I like maxi dresses, but I only have a few. I find I feel best when they fit a certain way. By no means are you alone though. No everyone will wear short-shorts, bermuda shorts, long gowns on formal nights, etc. Do what works for you. After all, you should feel good on a cruise!

OP--I started the other thread about maxis, Where do you wear them?

I don't wear them either. I tried on a couple after reading the other thread and just didn't like the way looked. I see ladies around town wearing them everywhere. They all look great. Right now, they are just not for me.

So, to answer your question. No you are not the only one.

Not all maxi dresses are created equal. I have a couple, but I find them to be too hot with the extra length all the way down to my ankles. I see some that are really cute, others I don't care for at all.

The ones (I have only 2) I have are sleeveless but not halter or thin straps, I really need to wear a bra! One I only wear at home, the other I will wear to a party tomorrow.

In warm weather, especially if it's humid, I'd rather have a short dress.

Frumpy? Really? Also I am 34 and wear Maxi dresses all the time! I certainly do not feel like I cannot wear them because I am not 20! I love all kinds of dresses and wear dresses pretty much all the time, short, long, maxi... I love them all! People should just wear what they like and feel comfortable in! If you do not like Maxi's then do not wear them. It is really simple. I personally think capri pants look terrible and matronly on everyone! They make legs look shorter and heavier than they really are. Lots of people love them though and it is certainly your right to wear them!

Unless you are 20-something, I think "maxi" dresses are awful. They are ultra casual...and look (IMO) frumpy! They will not take the place of an "evening gown" by any stretch of imagination....

I never got the impression that anyone was wearing one to take the place of a formal gown.

I am a part of Luvscruising2007 thread. It wasn't until I read that thread that I really considered purchasing one.

I now own 2. Well, one is still on it's way to me. I have to say that they are very comfortable. I like the way they look and fit.

As far as wearing them for formal night, it depends on the type of maxi dress in question. They range anywhere from very casual cotton that is more appropriate for everyday, around town wear, to polyester dresses that are more stylish due to the fabric and style. Pair them up with a nice pair of heels and some statement jewelry and I would not be afraid to wear them on a formal night. (I think I just heard some people go :eek:, but that's OK. No one has to agree with me:)) Plus side, they travel well, minimal suitcase space and no wrinkling. I do own formal gowns, and I do wear them on formal nights. Now I just have more options!!!

And as far as crop/capri pants, love them. If I am not dressed up or in a swimsuit, this is what I wear!!!

I never got the impression that anyone was wearing one to take the place of a formal gown.

Hi stranger:).....you know that is a typical post.:rolleyes::(....

I own a black and white one and I am 35 years a sr from 20somthing.

I wore it on my recent cruise and LOVE IT:)....they look awful

if you are not in your 20s??? omg...talk about a ----- statement:mad:

I've tried on a few (Ann Taylor, White House Black Market, Nordstrom) but they just don't look right on me. They also seem like they would be very hot with all that fabric. I'd rather wear shorts or a short dress. I did like one at And Taylor, but not enough to spend $128. I'm hoping they still have XS when they put them on sale.

I think frumpy is a good word to describe how I feel in a maxi dress but that is for me personally. My husband thinks the ones I have tried on make me look pregnant, which is not a good look for a 57 year old!:D To be honest, I see some women who look really good in their maxi's but some that make me wonder if they really think they look good, but maybe they are thinking the same thing with what I am wearing!

I have one dress that I bought a few years ago and ended up wearing it as a beach cover up. My husband hates it!:D

Sherri:)

I am glad that longer dresses are finally back. I've never liked short dresses or skirts. As to being hot, I think it depends more on the fabric. I've got a couple of knee-length jersey dresses that are far heavier than the floaty linen/cotton maxi dress I have. That's the one I wear with strappy flat Grecian-style sandals -- I call it my "Santorini" dress because a) it looks like something one might wear for dinner on Santorini and b) I feel like a wannabe Greek goddess when wearing it. :D I have another one that I call my Tuscan hill town dress for similar reasons.....

But I digress. I'm certainly not in my 20s, and I had to try on a lot of different maxis, but I have found some that look good on me. Also, the little airy cardigans and shrugs that are so "in" right now are tailor-made to go over the shoulders if more coverage is needed or if the evening is a bit cooler.

I certainly would never consider wearing one for a formal evening on board ship. :eek: But would definitely consider wearing one for a casual evening or at a resort.

The following is not intended to offend anyone but is simply my own opinion. I am a firm believer in wearing what makes you comfortable as long as it's not offensive and I could not care LESS what anyone else is wearing as long as I look good and feel great. With that being said...

I do not wear them, but there's a very simple reason.

It's now trendy in all the wrong places. 2 or 3 years ago, they were very chic to wear, now they kind of like what is often touted as "Mom" jeans or Capris. Like any other clothes they're meant for a certain body type. Everything doesn't look good on everyone, but when everyone wears it, an item often starts to lose it's charm. A good one is made out of quality fabrics as well and now that you can buy them anywhere that's not always the case.

I think of it kind of like people putting red bottoms on their shoes to mimic the look of Louboutins. Not an exact analogy, because Maxi dresses aren't a brand, but it's that feeling.

When I'm looking to wear something cool, feminine and summery I just go for a classic cotton dress. A maxi skirt is a nice alternative as well as they haven't been over done as yet.

So no you're not the only one that shies away from Maxi dresses.

Xenagurl, I got rid of a few maxi dresses last year that I'd had in the closet for 5 years or so and wasn't wearing, so I doubt it's a current trend. I bought a maxi dress on my honeymoon (one of my favorite ever) on our honeymoon over 26 years ago.

The styling really doesn't change all that much, kind of like flared jeans. I wore those with platforms disco dancing over 35 years ago. I wore cropped tops, tube tops, mini dresses...all that in the disco era. I suppose if you live long enough you just keep seeing the same styles recycling.

Now for trends that are here that will look ridiculous and trendy very soon, I think it will be dresses that are long in the back, short in the front. Not attractive on anyone, I think they make legs look fat. They will go the way of thong underpants hanging out of low slung jeans, gaucho pants, leg warmers, huge shoulder pads, etc... Trendy is just not good.

But, I do agree with you to a certain point, younger women will embrace a trend and let it go faster than older women will. I do think going with a trend in a subtle way can be good and modern, trendy is what you will be embarrassed to see in a photo 5-10 years from now. A little bit of a fine line there.

I have several maxi dresses. LOVE them, but I want them to fit a certain way. I've tried on more that I don't like than do.

I appreciate a maxi on a cruise because I don't have to worry if my skirt is blowing up like with a shorter dress or skirt. It can get so windy on those outside decks.

Hi stranger:).....you know that is a typical post.:rolleyes::(....

Yep, typical.:rolleyes:

I own a black and white one and I am 35 years a sr from 20somthing.

I wore it on my recent cruise and LOVE IT:)....they look awful

if you are not in your 20s??? omg...talk about a ----- statement:mad:

Yes, that black and white one was beautiful and isn't it the one someone was looking for?

I wish people would just say something is not for them and let it go at that. Remember what mother always said....."if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut". Ha, ha, I changed it a little. They are probably wearing something that others don't care for.

Yep, typical.:rolleyes:

Yes, that black and white one was beautiful and isn't it the one someone was looking for?

I wish people would just say something is not for them and let it go at that. Remember what mother always said....."if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut". Ha, ha, I changed it a little. They are probably wearing something that others don't care for.

Yes, Cruise Kitty was asking about it:) I believe Keith found the

photo too:D

I have a couple of maxi dresses - they are very versatile as they can take you from the beach as a cover up, to lunch, a shopping trip or a day sightseeing. I do have a maxi that is smart enough for dinner on a cruise, but in the main, they are just very useful for daytime.

Frumpy? Really? Also I am 34 and wear Maxi dresses all the time! I certainly do not feel like I cannot wear them because I am not 20! I love all kinds of dresses and wear dresses pretty much all the time, short, long, maxi... I love them all! People should just wear what they like and feel comfortable in! If you do not like Maxi's then do not wear them. It is really simple. I personally think capri pants look terrible and matronly on everyone! They make legs look shorter and heavier than they really are. Lots of people love them though and it is certainly your right to wear them!

I am kissing 60 (58) so to me anyone 45 and younger are kids. I think you are still young enough to wear many styles, unless it screams teenager, you should be okay.

I have a couple, but I am particular about which ones I buy. Some just do not flatter my body and make me look larger than I actually am, or else I look like a 60 year old pregnant woman which is NOT a good look. Perhaps they do not flatter my body BECAUSE they are meant for someone younger-LOL!

The maxi's I like on me are slightly loose but not "sacky," fitted in the bust area, but are not cut too low, as I do not think it appropriate to show too much cleavage at my age. I have found they are fine even a spaghetti strapped dress-if the fit is okay on me. However, as KS said, braless would not look pretty on me, so I wear a short sleeved jacket or else a scarf. I do not care for halter style dresses on me though even with jacket. That style just does not flatter me anymore

As far as too hot for wearing in the summer, I like the 95% cotton 5% spandex. I find this very comfortable. I wore a maxi on disembarkation day in Barcelona, and we took a tour of the city after leaving ship. It was 90 plus that day-so hot-but I stayed reasonably comfortable-or as comfortable as you can be on a hot summer day out in the sun doing a lot of walking as I was.

Now my daughter has several jersey ones that are halter dresses. They are fine for her-but no that style or material would not work for me.

Archived