Luggage - weight & # of pieces

mouseterd1

This is likely a dah! question, But....

I am not restricted by flights and I know I am wanting to take too many clothing items with us on an B2B Alaska cruise, but do two 26" cases and a duffle bag for jackets, boots, etc seem like a lot? (and there may be a small carry on too).

My reasoning - I don't really wish to avail myself of the laundry if I don't have to and we both have quite a few nice pieces of clothing that we hardly get to wear. And because this is a no flight cruise for us, I just need comfort that I am within bounds of 'normal' even if the normal may have been prior years before the airlines started getting sticky with weight and the number of cases.

a big thank you :)

That is not unreasonable to me at all. When we do not have to fly I tend to overpack. I like to be able to have lots of choices and not have to ever do laundry on a cruise. Thankfully, Princess has not limits on number of pieces of luggage. Enjoy your B2B cruise!!!

I am not restricted by flights and I know I am wanting to take too many clothing items with us on an B2B Alaska cruise, but do two 26" cases and a duffle bag for jackets, boots, etc seem like a lot? (and there may be a small carry on too).

My reasoning - I don't really wish to avail myself of the laundry if I don't have to and we both have quite a few nice pieces of clothing that we hardly get to wear. And because this is a no flight cruise for us, I just need comfort that I am within bounds of 'normal' even if the normal may have been prior years before the airlines started getting sticky with weight and the number of cases.

Why are you taking boots? :confused:

Take all you want but remember it will all have to be stowed in your cabin. You don't seem to be taking an unreasonable amount. And taking the things you use infrequently is fine when there are no airlines with which to contend.

~Doris~> who hates flying

Umm - we taket this much with us no matter which cruise we are on. And often it is 3 cases - and we have to fly no matter where we are cruising from. If we have luggage costs - it is considered part of the vacation cost. And for Alaska - it is tricky to pack - you need layers and bulky jackets and lots of times, hiking boots or rain shoes, etc.

You will have plenty of space left in your cabin - that will fit under the bed just fine - and for reference, our room stewards have always offered to store luggage for us for the cruise if it doesn't fit in the room.

Enjoy1

Don't forget to check the weather just before leaving, Alaska can have summer weather too! That way you can make any adjustments, taking some shorts and short sleeved shirts of you need them.

We overpacked for our Alaska cruise, I took to heart packing suggestions here on CC and packed 2 pair of shoes for each of us (4 ppl) and we really didn't need them, major waste of space and weight in the luggage. We took bulky jackets, never needed them, just a couple light layers and a raincoat.

Since you aren't driving you really dont need to worry about space or weight, when we cruise local all we worry about is being able to handle our own bags.

I believe in the terms and conditions there is a 50 pound per piece weight limit. I think you'd have to be fairly egregious (no anvils) for them to enforce it. I would not worry about it. On Embarkation Day, they are not out to be rulesy, they are trying to get you and your stuff on board in an efficient manner.

I have not read all your replies, but I don't ever think there has been a limit on how much luggage you can bring on the ship.

I know you said you don't fly, but that is why I like Southwest, as I don't have to pay for luggage.:) This may sound a little funny, but we almost bring our house/home with us. We, like you have nice things to wear and don't have many places to wear them, so that is why we have "extra." Normally I have shoes for every outfit I wear, and shoes are HEAVY.:(

We don't do laundry either, unless it is something we can wash out by hand and hang up in the bathroom to dry. I always carry a large trash bag for any dirty laundry that I might bring home.

I believe in the terms and conditions there is a 50 pound per piece weight limit. I think you'd have to be fairly egregious (no anvils) for them to enforce it. I would not worry about it. On Embarkation Day, they are not out to be rulesy, they are trying to get you and your stuff on board in an efficient manner.

Yeah, I have a hard time envisioning hem actually putting your luggage on a scale..

Is this for one person or two?

I have not read all your replies, but I don't ever think there has been a limit on how much luggage you can bring on the ship.

I know you said you don't fly, but that is why I like Southwest, as I don't have to pay for luggage.:) This may sound a little funny, but we almost bring our house/home with us. We, like you have nice things to wear and don't have many places to wear them, so that is why we have "extra." Normally I have shoes for every outfit I wear, and shoes are HEAVY.:(

We don't do laundry either, unless it is something we can wash out by hand and hang up in the bathroom to dry. I always carry a large trash bag for any dirty laundry that I might bring home.

Although Southwest doesn't charge for luggage under 50 lbs. (2 pieces) be real careful not to exceed that limit. They do charge $50 for overweight pieces. I've seen articles written regarding airline baggage fees, Southwest collects just as much in fees as other airlines do.

Someone else stated you have to keep the bag under 50lbs. for the ship, not true, they don't weigh you luggage at cruise terminals. Some lines state 200 lbs. per person, others state "a reasonable amount".

Is this for one person or two?

For two people. I noticed that I omitted that. If for one, it would have really seemed like a lot!

I've since re-jigged things and now happier taking 2-26" cases and each a carry on. I've really found Alaska to be hard when packing dress items, jeans, sweat shirts, jackets, fleece, hiking and dress shoes, etc. And even though we're not flying into Vancouver, I have split our clothes between the two cases...just in case too!!!

Thanks for all your comments.

We are doing the 13 day cruise tour in september . We plan on taking a 26inch case for each of us and 1 small backpack type carry on each that will fit on the bus and train . I always overpack . This time no overpacking . For the cruise 2 dressy tops and slacks . No suit for DHjust dress shirt and slacks . The rest casual cloths for ports and lodges

For our similarly-arrayed alaska trip we had 2x26" pullmans, 2x rollaboard, a suit bag, a large duffell and our briefcase/backpacks and a camera bag each.

I've also hauled a framed oil painting from Seattle to LA via Vancouver on Pacific and Sapphire, roughly 4x6 when boxed. The Seattle-Vancouver was a one-night repositioning, and when people asked, I said "Oh, we don't care for the art in the staterooms, so we always bring our own - don't you?"

Archived