Pizza in Naples

Can'tstopcruising

Americans are used to relatively thicker crust, with a focus on toppings- usually a large number of toppings. Europeans are, as cruise mom says, focused on fresh cheese, wonderful seasonings, the best one or two topping pizzas I have ever had. The after taste is excellent.

And I was a diehard major combo pizza guy. I love European pizza.

Personally, having had pizza in Naples (several times and at different places) we are not overly impressed. Its usually very good...but so is pizza in many places. We think the best pizza is found in the US and DW would say that the best place in the US is in New York City. Others would probably argue for Chicago.

Hank

Personally, having had pizza in Naples (several times and at different places) we are not overly impressed. Its usually very good...but so is pizza in many places. We think the best pizza is found in the US and DW would say that the best place in the US is in New York City. Others would probably argue for Chicago.

Hank

Thank you Hank for saying this! My opinion exactly. American pizza has come a long, long way. Naples pizza is delicious, yes, but it's no longer head and shoulders over what I can find at home. Not that I would pass up the opportunity to enjoy a piece of pizza in bustling Naples though. Hmmm, maybe that's why Naples pizza has such a marvelous reputation...it's one part pizza and one part ambiance. The latter of which I could never find at home. ;)

Antonio e Antonio in downtown Naples

Wonderful pizza, fresh EVERYTHING, was just there in May, may never eat another American pizza...this was excellent. The outstanding thing about Naples pizza is that it is NOT overloaded with toppings the way most American pizza is, the fresh tomatoes, and home made mozzarella were so much better than anything I've found in Florida. Yes, American pizza is getting better....but this was head & shoulders above anything I've found here......and the restaurant itself had excellent service too. Wish I could have some of that pizza today!!!!

I realize it is better than commercial American pizza. But from what you all are saying' date=' it is not better than pizza in Rome (for example) or even a fine pizza place in North America.[/quote']

"Better" is subjective. It is a different style of pizza from what you'll find in Rome. (In Rome, the crust is traditionally thinner and crispy at the edges.) New York's pizza is delicious but again, different from Naples -- at least from what I've had.

And yes, I think part of it is the experience itself.

"Better" is subjective. It is a different style of pizza from what you'll find in Rome. (In Rome, the crust is traditionally thinner and crispy at the edges.) New York's pizza is delicious but again, different from Naples -- at least from what I've had.

And yes, I think part of it is the experience itself.

So is it a thicker doughy crust?

The pizza in Naples is very good . The rest of Italy it is pretty bad . The problem is where you live in the U.S. makes a difference as to what you are used too. Where I live (Phila. area) we have a lot of good pizza and many kinds to choose from ,here they are very few chains because people are used to high quality pizzas.But if you lived in say Florida you would be used to chains and some pretty bad pizza. I dont mean to pick on Fla. but it is true you would have to spend a lot of gas to find a good pizza in the whole state. There was a thread on the Italy boards a while back with pics. and directions to good spots in Naples.

The very worst pizza we have ever had was at a little restaurant right in front of the Pantheon in Rome 2 years ago. Burnt to a crisp and pretty much inedible! When we complained about it we were told we were paying for the view. They also charged $8 for an 8 oz bottle of coca cola!:eek:. Later we found a couple of great cafes just around the corner behind there. Now I'm very leery of having ANY pizza in Italy. We'll be in Naples in Oct., so I might get brave and try it one more time.

The very worst pizza we have ever had was at a little restaurant right in front of the Pantheon in Rome 2 years ago. Burnt to a crisp and pretty much inedible! When we complained about it we were told we were paying for the view. They also charged $8 for an 8 oz bottle of coca cola!:eek:. Later we found a couple of great cafes just around the corner behind there. Now I'm very leery of having ANY pizza in Italy. We'll be in Naples in Oct., so I might get brave and try it one more time.

I think I was at THAT place last September buy my coke was 7Euros not $$!!! They're right about paying for the view....those are the "tourist traps" and the cafes off the beaten path serve far better food!! Our pizza at Antonio e Antonio in Naples was the best we've ever had. wish I were enjoying one there right now!! LOL:D

Americans are used to relatively thicker crust, with a focus on toppings- usually a large number of toppings. Europeans are, as cruise mom says, focused on fresh cheese, wonderful seasonings, the best one or two topping pizzas I have ever had. The after taste is excellent.

And I was a diehard major combo pizza guy. I love European pizza.

The best pizza I have ever eaten was in Venice! It was fantastic~!:)

I heard that the #1 pizza restaurant is in Naples, could someone tell me if it is in downtown. My group will be in Naples and like to have a bite from one of the best (top 10 pizza in the world) Thanks

I don't know if it's "#1" or not but Antonio e Antonio is in downtown Naples and certainly gets my vote for best!!!

I think I was at THAT place last September buy my coke was 7Euros not $$!!! They're right about paying for the view....those are the "tourist traps" and the cafes off the beaten path serve far better food!! Our pizza at Antonio e Antonio in Naples was the best we've ever had. wish I were enjoying one there right now!! LOL:D

I’ll see if I can find Antonio e Antonio's this Fall & check it out. Thanks!. We plan to do the museum & a DIY walking tour of Naples.

Would someone be kind enough to explain to me what is so wonderful and unique about the pizza in Naples. Thanks!

I love the outer ring of the pizza in Naples -- the center not so much. The more authentic the Neapolitan pizzeria, the more likely the center of the pizza is going to be undercooked with the water from the tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella pooling in the center.

Pizza in Naples is fired in a wood-burning oven at staggerinly high temps: 950 degrees F. However, the cooking time is incredibly short: no more than 60 to 90 seconds. This cooking time is controlled by law! In fact, I've provided a link to an English translation of the Italian government's legal definition of Pizza Napoletana for members of the EU. (Check out the cooking times in #5)

Incidentally, you'll quickly notice that Neapolitan pizzerias serve their pizzas whole on the plate. This is to allow additional cooking to take place as the intact pizza is being carried to the table.

The first time I visted Naples and was served what I considered to be undercooked pizza, I thought that I was being ill-treated as a tourist. I quickly learned the procedures -- now codified as EU rules -- for cooking time. With such short cooking times, if the oven is not quite as high as it is supposed to be, the results will be undercooked pizza for everyone, local and tourist alike.

And don't freak if you see the pizza-maker exposing the outer rim of crust to the open flame in a spot or two. The contrast between the small char marks on the crust and the "sweetness" of the uncharred crust is part of the style.

Link to the Italian government's regulations for pizza: http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html

I love the outer ring of the pizza in Naples -- the center not so much. The more authentic the Neapolitan pizzeria, the more likely the center of the pizza is going to be undercooked with the water from the tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella pooling in the center.

Pizza in Naples is fired in a wood-burning oven at staggerinly high temps: 950 degrees F. However, the cooking time is incredibly short: no more than 60 to 90 seconds. This cooking time is controlled by law! In fact, I've provided a link to an English translation of the Italian government's legal definition of Pizza Napoletana for members of the EU. (Check out the cooking times in #5)

Incidentally, you'll quickly notice that Neapolitan pizzerias serve their pizzas whole on the plate. This is to allow additional cooking to take place as the intact pizza is being carried to the table.

The first time I visted Naples and was served what I considered to be undercooked pizza, I thought that I was being ill-treated as a tourist. I quickly learned the procedures -- now codified as EU rules -- for cooking time. With such short cooking times, if the oven is not quite as high as it is supposed to be, the results will be undercooked pizza for everyone, local and tourist alike.

And don't freak if you see the pizza-maker exposing the outer rim of crust to the open flame in a spot or two. The contrast between the small char marks on the crust and the "sweetness" of the uncharred crust is part of the style.

Link to the Italian government's regulations for pizza: http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html

Thank you for the information. I Can't get excited about undercooked pizza (soggy) and charred edges!

The very worst pizza we have ever had was at a little restaurant right in front of the Pantheon in Rome 2 years ago. Burnt to a crisp and pretty much inedible! When we complained about it we were told we were paying for the view. They also charged $8 for an 8 oz bottle of coca cola!:eek:. Later we found a couple of great cafes just around the corner behind there. Now I'm very leery of having ANY pizza in Italy. We'll be in Naples in Oct., so I might get brave and try it one more time.[/quote

We had a favourite pizza place years ago. We had margherita on two different trips. If you are standing at the Pantheon, looking away, it was the first place on the left. This was many years ago.

Thank you for the information. I Can't get excited about undercooked pizza (soggy) and charred edges!

Ah! but you haven't tasted the perfectly-cooked ring of pizza. Sublime! As others have said, the quality of the ingredients puts Neapolitan pizza in a category above. Besides, you won't go hungry even if you don't eat the undercooked center; the pizzas are big enough that you'll probably be satisfied without eating the whole thing.

Before eating Neapolitan pizza, I felt the same way about the char. I discovered I liked the small dots of char on the crust contrasting with the uncharred dough.

Try it at home before you go! There is a branch of the Neapolitan DOC that controls the pizza quality standards here in the US.

If you go to their website, http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org and click on members, you can see if there is a member restaurant in your vicinity.

My standard for pizza tasting is the Margherita. Love it. Nothing fancy, just a little red sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil. Yum!!!

Archived