Which Noordam do you prefer??

CretaMed88

No Contest......

Noordam IV

Our very first HAL cruise was on Noordam III and we loved the crew, the cruise line and knew we had found our cruise line of choice however the vibration on that ship bothered me tremendously. It did not bother DH at all. I spoke with Captain Jack about it several times and he acknowledged there were some people who it disturbed and there was nothing that could be done.

I did like Piet Hein a lot though. ;)

I did not like the ship had no verandas.

Noordam IV...... HAL really did it right in all respects with this ship, IMO. :)

Gotta agree w/Sail (usually do ;)). But our experiences are remarkably similar.

Noordam III was our first HAL cruise in 1997. We weren't totally convinced that we even wanted to be on a cruiseship, either - and we hadn't even paid for that voyage! It was awarded to John as an incentive thru his work. Let's just say there were a whole lot of heating & a/c types on board that week. :eek:

Actually that was our second cruise ever. On our honeymoon we had cruised for 3-4 days on the Big Red Boat - what a waste of steel. :( That cabin was like steerage; the bath was all stainless, basically a shoilet; we remember the crew with hands out seeking tips. Just not an overall enjoyable experience. So we never looked at cruising again.

But a few years later when we walked on Noordam's teak deck, Oh, THIS is what cruising is all about! Our cabin was configured so that the twin beds were head-to-toe in an L-shape - we had such an amazing time, it didn't matter. We came home from that Noordam cruise & immediately booked another one - on Veendam.

We've now sailed Noordam IV three times, including her inaugural. I think she will always be our favorite ship. It's not exactly like coming home; more like arriving at that beach house your family rents each year. It's just that exciting, stepping onto her decks. But we also are branching out a bit, since we want to see what the rest of the fleet looks like. :)

The old NOORDAM was a very special ship. Sure, no bells or whistles but beautiful ship to sail in.

New NOORDAM is good, no doubt but I'd opt for the older ship any time.

But remember the vibration!!!!

She(N III) does look like a ship; not a floating hotel. You should compare the newer Noordam vs. NCL's Epic. Noordam wins!!

I guess people nowadays have to have the balconies. We've been sailing the S and R's now and don't care if we don't have a balcony. DH wouldn't like the vibrations though from III.

Still,the Noordam is our fav. Vista ship!! Love those captains also.

We have sailed on both Noordam III and Noordam IV.

We enjoyed the cruises that we did on both ships -- itineraries were way different.

Our (DH & Me) first cruise ever was on the Noordam 111, we went from SF to Alcapulco, 7 days, I didn't even know there was anything but inside and outside cabins. I loved walking the teak promenade deck every day.

one of our stops back then was Zajuanteneo (sp)/ Ixtapa!! and just cruised past Cabo San Lucus!! We were on the Noordam 1V in 2007 Ny to Sea, panama canal. Loved it... actually I loved both of the Noordams.

I prefer the smaller Amsterdam though, and of course I love a verandah, but have opted to sail just outside, so I can sail more ofter!!:D

I loved the Noordam III. You don't need a balcony every cruise.:)

Yes, speaking only for ourselves, we do.

We have sailed with balcony and without and we do not wish to sail without one again.

I love having the balcony and get so much use from it we never doubt getting 'our money's worth'.

Works for us; not for everyone.

Noordam III still sails for Thompson. You could still sail her if you wish.

Gotta agree w/Sail (usually do ;)). But our experiences are remarkably similar.

Noordam III was our first HAL cruise in 1997. We weren't totally convinced that we even wanted to be on a cruiseship, either - and we hadn't even paid for that voyage! It was awarded to John as an incentive thru his work. Let's just say there were a whole lot of heating & a/c types on board that week. :eek:

Actually that was our second cruise ever. On our honeymoon we had cruised for 3-4 days on the Big Red Boat - what a waste of steel. :( That cabin was like steerage; the bath was all stainless, basically a shoilet; we remember the crew with hands out seeking tips. Just not an overall enjoyable experience. So we never looked at cruising again.

But a few years later when we walked on Noordam's teak deck, Oh, THIS is what cruising is all about! Our cabin was configured so that the twin beds were head-to-toe in an L-shape - we had such an amazing time, it didn't matter. We came home from that Noordam cruise & immediately booked another one - on Veendam.

We've now sailed Noordam IV three times, including her inaugural. I think she will always be our favorite ship. It's not exactly like coming home; more like arriving at that beach house your family rents each year. It's just that exciting, stepping onto her decks. But we also are branching out a bit, since we want to see what the rest of the fleet looks like. :)

YES!!! :)

Try Eurodam.... I think you might like her.

We were amazed to find we like her as much as we do.

OP..... GREAT photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

She(N III) does look like a ship; not a floating hotel. You should compare the newer Noordam vs. NCL's Epic. Noordam wins!!

I guess people nowadays have to have the balconies. We've been sailing the S and R's now and don't care if we don't have a balcony. DH wouldn't like the vibrations though from III.

Still,the Noordam is our fav. Vista ship!! Love those captains also.

Noordam has a new Captain.

Captain Scott is still Master but Captain Mateboer no longer sails Noordam. I forget which ship he moved to. A newly promoted Captain has replaced him. :)

The old NOORDAM was a very special ship. Sure, no bells or whistles but beautiful ship to sail in.

New NOORDAM is good, no doubt but I'd opt for the older ship any time.

But remember the vibration!!!!

Ahh, but we love those Bells and Whistles..... very much. ;)

I agree Noordam III was a beautiful ship and we loved her except for that vibration. It bothered me sufficiently I could not sail her again. :(

We had a great cruise in her though.

HAL had far fewer ships at that time..... 1986

The fleet consisted of Nieuw Amsterdam III, Noordam III, Rotterdam V and I think the 'old' Westerdam.

Nieuw Amsterdam III and Noordam III are sister ships.

You have to admit the old Noordam was much prettier than the newer one. I like ships that look like ships, not ones that look like a hotel on a barge. Hard, if not impossible, to find "pretty" ships nowadays.

In the old Noordam days there were few ships with balconies. I think Prinsendam was one of the first ships with balconies - it first cruised as Viking Sun if memory serves.

You have to admit the old Noordam was much prettier than the newer one. I like ships that look like ships, not ones that look like a hotel on a barge. Hard, if not impossible, to find "pretty" ships nowadays.

In the old Noordam days there were few ships with balconies. I think Prinsendam was one of the first ships with balconies - it first cruised as Viking Sun if memory serves.

No.... I think no such thing. I think the current Noordam a beautiful ship and prefer her in just about all ways to her predecesor. JMO........

Royal Princess (the one that precedes the current) was one of the first ships to have a number of verandas.

We loved the old Noordam, haven't yet sailed on the new Noordam. To us sailing on the old Noordam was so beautiful it was like living in a European museum. The current Maasdam reminds us of the old Noordam and that is why we liked her so much.

Jane & Gary

I think Prinsendam was one of the first ships with balconies - it first cruised as Viking Sun if memory serves.

It was the Royal Viking Sun. Big difference, Ted.

Royal Viking was an upscale, luxury line.

Archived