Whirlpool bath...jets clean?

irisheileen

If I contracted athletes foot from a shower on vacation, I'd bring plastic flipflops and wear them in the shower. Better to be safe than sorry.

We already planned on that, as well as trying to sanitize the shower ourselves before using it.

I should probably state, for anyone that might get paranoid from our experience, I did NOT have any problems. I did not get the athletes foot, even though I used the shower just as much as my husband. However, my husband is diabetic, which makes him more vulnerable to foot infections then the average healthy person. Diabetes is one of the main causes of foot amputations, often due to infection.

If you're reasonably healthy, you probably would not have had a problem either.

I should probably state, for anyone that might get paranoid from our experience, I did NOT have any problems. I did not get the athletes foot, even though I used the shower just as much as my husband. However, my husband is diabetic, which makes him more vulnerable to foot infections then the average healthy person. Diabetes is one of the main causes of foot amputations, often due to infection.

If you're reasonably healthy, you probably would not have had a problem either.

My uncle was diabetic, so I know about the foot issues. Your husband should probably wear flipflops in any shower away from home. And around pool areas. A friend got athelete's foot from a pool area on a cruise, so now I'm paranoid about any pool deck or locker room.

US Public Health Service requires every cruise ship to super chlorinate those jets every 7 days. The procedure must be documented and the documents are inspected every time a ship has a surprise USPH inspection.

FYI - The shower heads must be super-chlorinated every 30 days.

Check the inspection reports for your ship on the CDC's VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) page on the internet.

US Public Health Service requires every cruise ship to super chlorinate those jets every 7 days. The procedure must be documented and the documents are inspected every time a ship has a surprise USPH inspection.

Check the inspection reports for your ship on the CDC's VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) page on the internet.

Are the room stewards responsible for these procedures?

Thanks to BruceMuzz -- US Public Health Service requires every cruise ship to super chlorinate those jets every 7 days. The procedure must be documented and the documents are inspected every time a ship has a surprise USPH inspection.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2011.pdf

I found this on the website to share with you all:

Recreational Water Facilities (RWFs); 65

6.5.1 Maintenance

6.5.1.1 Cleaning (10)

Private WHIRLPOOL SPAS located in individual passenger cabins must be cleaned and disinfected, including associated recirculation systems, between occupancies or weekly, whichever is more frequent. DISINFECTION must be accomplished with an appropriate HALOGEN-based DISINFECTANT at 10 ppm for 60 minutes, or an equivalent CT VALUE.

6.5.1.2 Maintenance (10)

Manufacturer’s operation and maintenance instructions must be available to personnel who service the units.

6.5.1.3 Records (10)

A record must be maintained outlining the frequency of cleaning and DISINFECTION. The record must include the type, concentration, and contact time of the DISINFECTANT.

Records must be retained on the vessel for 12 months.

So, do you think they really do this between sailings? The red means the jets, correct?

In Dec we were on the Noordam for 21 days in a mini-suite with a whirlpool. Unfortunately when I turned on the jets, black oily "stuff" (not specks) came out. I was so disappointed but the room steward came and cleaned everything but I just couldn't bring myself to use it again.

We've owned several homes with whirlpools and the instructions always say to never use oil, bubble bath etc. with it because residue can stay in the lines. I'm sure most people don't know that. I wouldn't have EXCEPT I've read the instruction booklets that were with my whirlpools.

We now have a large soaking tub with forced air bubbles where the user can and is encouraged to use oil, bubble bath, etc. The water is not circulated through tubes. Air is just forced through lots of tiny holes. Love it!

Thanks to BruceMuzz -- US Public Health Service requires every cruise ship to super chlorinate those jets every 7 days. The procedure must be documented and the documents are inspected every time a ship has a surprise USPH inspection.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2011.pdf

I found this on the website to share with you all:

Recreational Water Facilities (RWFs); 65

6.5.1 Maintenance

6.5.1.1 Cleaning (10)

Private WHIRLPOOL SPAS located in individual passenger cabins must be cleaned and disinfected, including associated recirculation systems, between occupancies or weekly, whichever is more frequent. DISINFECTION must be accomplished with an appropriate HALOGEN-based DISINFECTANT at 10 ppm for 60 minutes, or an equivalent CT VALUE.

6.5.1.2 Maintenance (10)

Manufacturer’s operation and maintenance instructions must be available to personnel who service the units.

6.5.1.3 Records (10)

A record must be maintained outlining the frequency of cleaning and DISINFECTION. The record must include the type, concentration, and contact time of the DISINFECTANT.

Records must be retained on the vessel for 12 months.

So, do you think they really do this between sailings? The red means the jets, correct?

I really doubt with the short turn around time that every cabin that has whirlpool jets is being cleaned to these specification every week.

We have never had a jetted tub on a cruise. For those that have, for more than a week, have you ever come across the steward performing this procedure for your tub? Remember, it would take an hour so there is a good chance someone would walk it while it's running.

Several years ago while at disembarking time, we went to the Lido for a quick breakfast. When we came back to our cabin to get our things, the room steward was already filling the tub getting ready to sanitize it.

I really doubt with the short turn around time that every cabin that has whirlpool jets is being cleaned to these specification every week.

We have never had a jetted tub on a cruise. For those that have, for more than a week, have you ever come across the steward performing this procedure for your tub? Remember, it would take an hour so there is a good chance someone would walk it while it's running.

Yes, we have. It was sometime in the middle of a 14 day cruise, in the middle of an afternoon. They did leave the tub filled with water for about an hour and told us not to use it, came back later and finished up whatever they were doing.

I don't recall exactly which day of the cruise it was. We didn't pay much attention because we had not been using the jets, having previously read somewhere about health hazards that could possibly arise from using jetted tubs in hotel bathrooms, so didn't want to take the risk.

At the time, I remember wondering why they didn't do that at the beginning of the cruise instead of waiting until the middle, but now, thanks to BruceMuzz, I have the answer.

I hope that they had also done it before we boarded, and that it is something they routinely do between passengers, whether or not anyone is watching.

Thanks, everyone! We have an ocean view guarantee, so no whirlpool tub for us. I'm not much of a tub person, but my DH is. Maybe if we like Holland America we'll try a balcony with the whirlpool tub next time. I have heard the cabins are nice. I'm very excited to get my assignment!

Save your money & choose an inside stateroom, & 'pretend' that the 'hot tub' at the Lido pool is a 'whirlpool tub', (once the jets have been activated)! ;)

Several years ago while at disembarking time, we went to the Lido for a quick breakfast. When we came back to our cabin to get our things, the room steward was already filling the tub getting ready to sanitize it.

That's reassuring! Thanks

Saw the same thing as well:):) Thanks to Bruce Muzz for explaining:D Just shows how that there are a lot of things that are done on board that we are unaware of;)

I realize it is personal choice, but after working in managing biomedical waste for the province of Ontario for years, and being in that position when the reports started circulating of the bacteria and other pathogens that were contained in the water of hot tubs/spas in the change rooms of gyms, I have never stepped foot in them again. I verified all the reports and did sampling in the gym I went to and had it all confirmed. But that was in the early 90s so I know technology has advanced since but I just can't get over it.

My kids were both begging to use a jetted tub in a hotel about 3 years ago so I filled the rub with clear water (did not add anything) and turned the jets on for 2 minutes and then turned them off and wated for the water to go still (no ripples). It was shocking, to say the least, to see what was floating on the top of the water.:eek: Skin and hair comprised the most of it but there was also mold. The kids wanted no part of that tub and both had showers!:p

Someone mentioned the proceedures taken by HAL and that is reassuring but I personally could not use it. On our cruise last year we watched a very large man sit in a hot tub for a very long time on the lido deck with his arms up on the side and the jets clearing out his armpits......even my husband looked at me and said "I could never use a public hot tub again". I know they are clorinated, but the visual cured my family of any desire of getting in one.

The bubble tub is the only answer for us! But I am a freak over health and safety....self professed.....since my son can get sick and be hospitalized in a matter of hours. No chances are taken.

That said we never used flip flops in the shower and I did my "inspection" when we first entered our cabin and I found no deficiencies. I do this everytime we go into a 4 star of better hotel chain and I admit it is rare for me to find nothing wrong. And we were "only" in an inside room so HAL does take cleaning seriously. We loved our cruise, just avoided the hot tubs.

I realize it is personal choice, but after working in managing biomedical waste for the province of Ontario for years, and being in that position when the reports started circulating of the bacteria and other pathogens that were contained in the water of hot tubs/spas in the change rooms of gyms, I have never stepped foot in them again. I verified all the reports and did sampling in the gym I went to and had it all confirmed. But that was in the early 90s so I know technology has advanced since but I just can't get over it.

My kids were both begging to use a jetted tub in a hotel about 3 years ago so I filled the rub with clear water (did not add anything) and turned the jets on for 2 minutes and then turned them off and wated for the water to go still (no ripples). It was shocking, to say the least, to see what was floating on the top of the water.:eek: Skin and hair comprised the most of it but there was also mold. The kids wanted no part of that tub and both had showers!:p

Someone mentioned the proceedures taken by HAL and that is reassuring but I personally could not use it. On our cruise last year we watched a very large man sit in a hot tub for a very long time on the lido deck with his arms up on the side and the jets clearing out his armpits......even my husband looked at me and said "I could never use a public hot tub again". I know they are clorinated, but the visual cured my family of any desire of getting in one.

The bubble tub is the only answer for us! But I am a freak over health and safety....self professed.....since my son can get sick and be hospitalized in a matter of hours. No chances are taken.

That said we never used flip flops in the shower and I did my "inspection" when we first entered our cabin and I found no deficiencies. I do this everytime we go into a 4 star of better hotel chain and I admit it is rare for me to find nothing wrong. And we were "only" in an inside room so HAL does take cleaning seriously. We loved our cruise, just avoided the hot tubs.

Well, thank you for putting me off hot tubs forever! :rolleyes: ;)

If the bubble tub had been around when I had my bathroom remodeled, I might have done that instead of the jetted tub. But too late now, and I do disenfect my own tub.

I used the jet cleaner and did sit in the jet tub in our suite on Zuiderdam, and I saw nothing icky floating, and I did not catch anything. Not to say you COULDN'T catch something, because I've read some of those articles about hotel jetted tubs. Very icky.

We were on Zuiderdam for 10 days and never saw them clean the tub. But we spent long days in port, and if they did the cleaning on the day between the Alaska 7-day and the coastal that followed (which seems like the logical time to do it), we were out all day in Vancouver and wouldn't have seen it.

One of my peeves about the hot tubs on deck is that people eat and drink while they're sitting in it. You really don't want to be sitting in bits of somebody's lunch. Another "ick" factor.

We would never use the whirlpool bath nor do we use the hot tubs on deck.

We do not consider them to be very clean nor to we have any confidence in the cruise line's (any cruise line) ability to keep them clean. Perhaps we are just too fussy.

Nor would we ever consider taking bleach or any cleaner on a vacation. That is what we take a vacation from.

We do not consider them to be very clean nor to we have any confidence in the cruise line's (any cruise line) ability to keep them clean. Perhaps we are just too fussy.

Nor would we ever consider taking bleach or any cleaner on a vacation. That is what we take a vacation from.

This only confirms my opinion that I would never utilize a hot tub or whirlpool in a stateroom or pool deck.

I contracted a serious case of "mosaic warts" from a nail salon which took me more than 3 years to cure. If I want a pedicure, I'll do my own or go to my podiatrist.

Be careful out there...

This only confirms my opinion that I would never utilize a hot tub or whirlpool in a stateroom or pool deck.

I contracted a serious case of "mosaic warts" from a nail salon which took me more than 3 years to cure. If I want a pedicure, I'll do my own or go to my podiatrist.

Be careful out there...

Sorry for the question:o but I'm wondering if, when you used the whirlpool bath, was the water from the jets clean?

The reason I asked is that we have a whirlpool jetted tub at home and one time I used the jets after a long period of time of inactivity. Black specks came out of the jets because it had been such a very ling time since we had used the actual jets in the soaking tub. Following manufactor's suggestion, I filled the tub with water, bleach and I think Cascade and turned the jets on for cleaning.

So, if I assume that NOT alot of pax USE the jets feature, have you ever noticed anything not up to par with the whirlpool bath? Do you use it at all?

Kinda creeps me out a bit :o, but I'd like to use it.

OH...just had a thought! Maybe I could bring a travel sized container (3oz) of bleach from home and fill tub with water and bleach and cycle it through myself? Go ahead, tell me if I'm odd. LOL

Thanks.

This is NOT a stupid question. Women can get very sick from the bacteria in those jets. We would prob not book a suite w/o one (want as good as home or better)

First Hal cruise major issues w spewing tons of black bacteria after being cleaned twice...

Now I just take 3oz of bleach and liquid soap and run for an hour.

Funny when I read this I thought wow... Thats what I do... Lol

We want one in any suite we book so im willing to clean it myself to ensure safety. Cant risk that again.

Well, thank you for putting me off hot tubs forever! :rolleyes: ;)

If the bubble tub had been around when I had my bathroom remodeled, I might have done that instead of the jetted tub. But too late now, and I do disenfect my own tub.

So sorry! For the record though, if it was our jetted tub in our home I would use it (and clean it) so please use yours. It is "public" jetted tubs and hot tubs that we stay clear of. I also cringe when I see parents bringing their little darlings, still wearing diapers, into a public hot tub. Just what bacteria loves...heat, dark and moist.

Enough said.

Archived