HAL Passengers Records

Sbilko

About what I'm spending, and what I'm spending it on? To just anyone? Why would HAL even ask?

For example, I use a particular credit card for all HAL expenses. I don't use it for anything else, ever, and I don't use another card for any HAL expenses, ever.

I do use my other credit card for all credit card expenses, except for gasoline, that have nothing to do with HAL.

Would my "other" credit card company reach out to HAL to sell the info? Would HAL reach out to the "other" credit card company to ask about my purchases with them?

I'm truly not following how HAL would know if I strayed.

Or, maybe I should just go back to checks and cash for travel. :rolleyes:

They wouldn't know. There is no way for them to know. Even if (and there's no reason for them to spend this money) they bought data there's no way to tie it to you.

Glad to know that HAL probably won't find out I'm cheating with another cruiseline. Kinda feels like a love triangle! :D

Thanks for the Facebook info, Sunshine. No, I haven't "liked" any companies there, so that's one avenue that's not been opened. Somehow, when I joined Facebook, I just knew that something didn't feel right, and I have stayed out of most activity there. I haven't even been to that site in ages.

I don't do loyalty cards, and yet I am certain that there is a whole lot of my private information out there in cyberspace.

Big Brother was just a little late to the party, I guess.

Glad to know that HAL probably won't find out I'm cheating with another cruiseline. Kinda feels like a love triangle! :D

Thanks for the Facebook info, Sunshine. No, I haven't "liked" any companies there, so that's one avenue that's not been opened. Somehow, when I joined Facebook, I just knew that something didn't feel right, and I have stayed out of most activity there. I haven't even been to that site in ages.

I don't do loyalty cards, and yet I am certain that there is a whole lot of my private information out there in cyberspace.

Big Brother was just a little late to the party, I guess.

if you used a credit card, you left a trail. did you post on another roll call? another cruise line forum? another trail...

Gee...I feel quite the opposite. More than happy to let HAL know that I have and will cruise on other lines. I like them but I'm not in love with them. :D

We do not sail any other cruise lines but if we did, it would be okay with me for anyone to know.

It's not something illegal or to be ashamed of. :D

Actually, it's good for a company to know they are competing for your business. Maybe they try a little harder?? Like by sending a Cruise Atlas ;)

When a cashier asks for an e-mail addy I just politely refuse & say that I don't like to give one out until I've read a privacy policy. This is true. I do actually read them. You just never know what a company might do with your e-mail until then. And most cashiers tend to agree with me - "big bad corporate." :D

A phone number - oh no. Not unless it's a place like the grocery store & I've forgotten my discount card. You know, a store where I've already signed up for the privilege of having the store mine me for all the data they can squeeze out of me.

Now, I WILL give a zip code. That's anonymous. And who knows, maybe someday decent stores WILL come to the retail desert we call home. :rolleyes:

Miss Ruth - It's not just credit cards. You're on Facebook, right? Have you "liked" any FB pages, like HAL? Or your Patsies? Or the Olympics? Or maybe a brand of toothpaste? It could be anything - companies pay FB for that info & now you see ads on your FB page for those or similar products. Anything we put out there in the vast cyberworld can be mined as data. It's kinda scary.

That's another reason why I have never joined Facebook.

if you used a credit card, you left a trail. did you post on another roll call? another cruise line forum? another trail...

Yes -- I admit that I have posted on sections of CC -- and HAL knows we are looking for other cruises.

And yes -- I belong to a couple of other cruise forums.

Of course I use a credit card.

I left lots of trails.

Yes -- I admit that I have posted on sections of CC -- and HAL knows we are looking for other cruises.

And yes -- I belong to a couple of other cruise forums.

Of course I use a credit card.

I left lots of trails.

i like that hal knows i spend my money elsewhere, as others have posted. all they need do is look at my signature to see the "where" and "why".

• 3 months later...
We all know that you can track a lot data on computers. I would like to ask how many people believe that HAL tracks passenger’s records, behavior, and loyalty.:confused: For example:

1. Have the passengers, cancelled their cruise often?

2. How much money did the passengers spend on the ship?

3. Total amount spent with HAL for a cruise?

4. Have the passengers increased/ decreased the service charge?

5. The passengers rate the crew, but do the crew rate the passengers?

6. Passengers offered upsell, did they accept or counter with a lower other offer?

7. Did the passengers complain about the service or the ship?

8. Are the passengers loyal to HAL, or have they sailed with another line?

9. Are the passengers loyal to the Carnival Group, or not?

I have no inside information, but was wondering what CC members think?

On our Noordam 2012 Fall TA, which was great by the way, I did some further investigation. Please do not ask me the names of the Noordam crew I talked to, but HAL tracks all of these items and more and “Yes” the crew rate the passengers.

Holland America also stores your photo. On check in, the clerk mentioned my last security photo.

I know that Holland America must have your passport information to cruise, but I do not like their using the birth date that I had to supply to send me birthday wishes.

On our Noordam 2012 Fall TA, which was great by the way, I did some further investigation. Please do not ask me the names of the Noordam crew I talked to, but HAL tracks all of these items and more and “Yes” the crew rate the passengers.

This does not surprise me. Thanks for the follow-up!

Doesn't bother me, I like the crew and hopefully because I have the highest repect for what they do, they like us too.

We actually do keep tract of our cruises, where, what ship, how long, how much it cost so I would think Hal has a pretty good record on us too.

I just paid off my upcoming cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam and went to "online check in." I've checked in many times since HAL stopped sending out documents, and each time it was the tedious process of filling out the information passenger by passenger. To my surprise, HAL had retained all my and my family's information including passport numbers, expiration dates etc. The only thing I had to add for emergency contact number. It saved me time, but also goes to show how they do keep a profile on all their past passengers. I'm sure they use those profiles for advertising and incentive programs that draw passengers to the HAL brand. It doesn't bother me. In fact, as I sit here typing, I have both webcams for Port Everglades and the Port of Miami on my screen, and there is an advertisement for a mail order company I frequent surrounding the port cam screens. It doesn't bother me, its just how business is today.;)

I recently was dismayed when during the course of a recent conversation with my PCC at HAL, he was able to pull up a letter I wrote to Mr. Kruse over 8 years ago...and that was at near the beginning of our relationship so I would guess....yes they know you... or at least they seem to know me...:)

Joseph

Crew do not rate the psgrs.

The rest - they keep records for everything.

On my cruise on board Rotterdam we had ouor balcony in terrible condition, and I have coplained about it. Finally the have painted it after 2 weeks of cruise.

When I came abord ms Ryandam after 1 year from that I found the letter in my cabins saying that they know that I have experienced some problems before and in order to satisfy me they have painted the balcony for me here on ms Ryandam. :)

It was very funny, and I checked - they painted only my balcony, not the neighbors.

Yikes. Call me naive, but I had no idea companies were butting into my privacy to this extent. And you probably haven't told me the half of it. Can't say I'm happy with my new-found knowledge.

It is really a good idea to read those boring "privacy policy" letters that companies send out on an annual basis. They print them in really small type and fill them with legalese to dissuade consumers from really reading them.

Also keep in mind that if you use a store's loyalty card or tag to save money, you are tagging everything you buy -- they know how often you buy toilet paper and what brand you prefer. They know I buy beer twice a week... but they don't know I don't drink, my sister does...

That said, I'm not a privacy freak, so HAL having access to any of the information listed in the original post doesn't really bother me. I would hope that if the crew on my one past cruise rated me, I got good marks. ;)

Yikes. Call me naive, but I had no idea companies were butting into my privacy to this extent. And you probably haven't told me the half of it. Can't say I'm happy with my new-found knowledge.

Any company or person (claiming to be a potential landlord) can get your full credit report with just a little information that you have provided, like your SSAN and DOB.

Even employers can get that.

It's the way it is nowadays, and I'm OK with it. After all, there's nothing out there that I'd want to hide. Yes, I've written letters to complain, and dropped HAL for a while, and I'm fine with them keeping track of that. And I've had a wonderful time and that's a good thing to keep track of as well. In my opinion, the company that doesn't track their customer's information does so at their peril.

Rest assured that Carnival sells any and all info that you provide to them, and all that they gather on you, if (a) someone is willing to buy it, (b) it is legal to do so (and cruise lines may have much less restriction on this than other kinds of consumer businesses operating in the US), and © they are contractually permitted to do so.

Also the credit card companies are selling much more of your info to firms who merge any number of databases (e.g., census data, court records, property tax info, supermarket loyalty club records, etc.) in order to paint a very sophisticated, detailed, and accurate portrait of who you are and your habits. Privacy is a total myth - you can buy scads of personal info about pretty much anyone in the US. All the anti-terrorism fearmongering of the last decade just made it easier for the federal govt to make more use of it.

Sleep well, lol.

Also the credit card companies are selling much more of your info to firms who merge any number of databases (e.g., census data, court records, property tax info, supermarket loyalty club records, etc.) in order to paint a very sophisticated, detailed, and accurate portrait of who you are and your habits.

Census information on individuals has a strict 72 yr privacy rule in the US. Even other branches of the government (such as Immigration) is denied access. One can get their own info, in limited circumstances, but you have to go through hoops to do so.

RE: posters comment about Seaborn having their information already although they have not sailed with them before.

In the mid-late 1980s (before much of the high tech stuff available to the masses) I booked a cruise on some cruise line (I do not remember which one). The line also knew all about me and gave me credit for being a prior cruises with them, although my address was an old one. Well, I had not been with them before so I asked my TA about this. She said, well a few years ago you sailed on Royal Viking Line and when they went out of business they sold their passenger list to ...(whatever line I was on) and some of their ships to xxxx (another line). So even back then some information was for sale although certainly not as much as they could provide today I would suspect.

Thanks for this update.

Archived