New menu

Clamett

[quote name='crusinpeg']I'm sorry I never got to try the famous Vidalia Onion Tart...but maybe they'll bring it back?[/QUOTE]

Google it....the recipe is all over the internet..and here too if you search...not really hard to make
Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

[quote name='crusinpeg']I'm sorry I never got to try the famous Vidalia Onion Tart...but maybe they'll bring it back?[/quote]

From the RCI cookbook:

[SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Pie Crust (purchased)

3 T Xtra virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup julienned Vidala Onion (3 lg onions)
1 T chopped Thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 C Shredded Gruyere cheese

Filling:
3 eggs
1/3 C heavy cream
1 T chopped parsley
1 T chopped chives
1/2 t ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper

Red Pepper Coulis:
4 red bell peppers
1 T Xtra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Garnish:
1 medium [B]Vidalia[/B] Onion
1/3 C vegetable oil
Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350.

Blind bake pie crust for about 7 mins, remove and let cool.

warm olive oil in small sauce pan over medium heat and saute onions unti translucent, about 4 mins. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onion evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In medium bowl, beat eggs lightly, add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over onions and cheese. Bake 40 mins.

For Coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 mins. Cool over ice and remove skins.

In blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='OGCFreddie']From the RCI cookbook:

[SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Pie Crust (purchased)

3 T Xtra virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup julienned Vidala Onion (3 lg onions)
1 T chopped Thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 C Shredded Gruyere cheese

Filling:
3 eggs
1/3 C heavy cream
1 T chopped parsley
1 T chopped chives
1/2 t ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper

Red Pepper Coulis:
4 red bell peppers
1 T Xtra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Garnish:
1 medium [B]Vidalia[/B] Onion
1/3 C vegetable oil
Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350.

Blind bake pie crust for about 7 mins, remove and let cool.

warm olive oil in small sauce pan over medium heat and saute onions unti translucent, about 4 mins. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onion evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In medium bowl, beat eggs lightly, add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over onions and cheese. Bake 40 mins.

For Coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 mins. Cool over ice and remove skins.

In blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE

Thanks so much...I'll have to give it a try....

[quote name='jules815']Have they taken the Vidalia Onion Tart off of the menu??[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]It is not on the new menu, however most ships still have the older menu. The new menus are being rolled out in stages. Ships currently in Europe will thave their rollout when they return to the states.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Just off the 8/26 cruise as well and our table of 6 vegetarians were very disappointed, very few veggie offerings unless you think pasta passes as a vegetarian option EVERY night. That is what RCI seems to think. We were very fortunate to know our Head Waiter from previous cruises and he hooked us up with the Indian specials that were being offered to the 400 Indian folks traveling with us. Otherwise we would have been in the Jammer every evening (went twice as it was). Not impressed with the new menu.

[quote name='Johnny Thunder']Just off the 8/26 cruise as well and our table of 6 vegetarians were very disappointed, very few veggie offerings unless you think pasta passes as a vegetarian option EVERY night. That is what RCI seems to think. We were very fortunate to know our Head Waiter from previous cruises and he hooked us up with the Indian specials that were being offered to the 400 Indian folks traveling with us. Otherwise we would have been in the Jammer every evening (went twice as it was). Not impressed with the new menu.[/quote]
Just crious. Did everyone let the dining room know that they were vegetarans ahead of time? I know that, in the past, the staff has gone out of their way to accomodate.

[quote name='littlesteelo']I just found out that the new menus will be on Independence for my cruise :D I wonder what the 14 night menus will be like.[/quote]
Hi we are sailing 13th july 2013,do you know if its available then?how did you find this out?many thanks sam x

That does not bode well for me. I have one DD who is vegetarian and one DD who is vegan.

I intend to write RCCL before hand. I hope that I fare better than the previous poster. I know when we were on the EPIC we had issues. She ate pasta marinara at least 4 times and got stuck with just steamed veggies the rest. We wound up going to the Asian fusion a few times and hit up the sushi bar a few times.

At least on the Allure they can do sushi but they always look forward to the Indian food on the menu. RCCL makes a mean aloo gobi.

[quote name='littlesteelo']I just found out that the new menus will be on Independence for my cruise :D I wonder what the 14 night menus will be like.[/quote]

Sailing on IOS in February. When did they say the new menu's would start?

[quote name='Arubamoose']That does not bode well for me. I have one DD who is vegetarian and one DD who is vegan.

I intend to write RCCL before hand. I hope that I fare better than the previous poster. I know when we were on the EPIC we had issues. She ate pasta marinara at least 4 times and got stuck with just steamed veggies the rest. We wound up going to the Asian fusion a few times and hit up the sushi bar a few times.

At least on the Allure they can do sushi but they always look forward to the Indian food on the menu. RCCL makes a mean aloo gobi.[/QUOTE]
There are always vegetarien items in the MDR, but honestly they are limited. The windjammer always has a large variety of fruits, vegetables, pastas, plus meatless Indian dishes.

For those curious about new menu roll-outs on ships not already listed, you can e mail RCCL. Vision of the Seas is scheduled for March 18,2913. Too late for our January cruise, but no biggie. Al least the famous Vidalia Onion Tart should be available for those who crave it !

[quote name='erbunny']For those curious about new menu roll-outs on ships not already listed, you can e mail RCCL. Vision of the Seas is scheduled for March 18,2913. Too late for our January cruise, but no biggie. Al least the famous Vidalia Onion Tart should be available for those who crave it ![/quote]
what email address did you use?

[quote name='OGCFreddie']Just crious. Did everyone let the dining room know that they were vegetarans ahead of time? I know that, in the past, the staff has gone out of their way to accomodate.[/QUOTE]
Yes, we have checked the vegetarian box on every cruise we sail, have all been on the RCI ships many times. They did bring steamed veggies twice and raw vegetables once, but they did not appear again even though I had asked for the same every night. We did not complain, just not our way.

[quote name='sml3']Sailing on IOS in February. When did they say the new menu's would start?[/quote]

[email]RCLDining@rccl.com[/email] told me January for IoS, so we should have the new menu on our cruise in February.

In somewhat related news, there is an article at [URL]http://dailygrill.com/wp-content/uploads/5-14-12-Flavor-The-Menu-2.pdf[/URL] that interviews, among other chefs, Josef Jungwirth, Director of Culinary for Royal Caribbean International. There's two sections on Royal Caribbean, one near the beginning and one near the end, where he describes some of the techniques and equipment that they use. He talks about the [URL="http://www.alto-shaam.com/product/cid/2.aspx"]Alto-Shaam combi ovens[/URL],[URL="http://www.elro.ch/elro-english/elro-products/pdf/ELRO_Pressure_Cookers_2300.pdf"] ELRO pressure cookers[/URL], and [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide"]sous vide[/URL] meats.