New menu

Clamett

I have read through the whole thread, and it's wonderful to see peoples reaction to a different menu. Royal Caribbean, for some time has been, well, close to the bottom of the feeding list......if that is an appropriate statement. In a nutshell, the company has known for some time that it lacks in the food department, compared to other cruise lines.

So, on command of Mr. Goldstein, a VP was put in charge of making some remarkable changes, and from all that I have heard, and, folks, they are still fine tuning the menu and product, to be able to bring their food standard up to what the competitors are doing, and having some fun with creating the same menu, within reason, that was served on the Royal Caribbean fleet in the 1990's.

Unfortunately, the VP in charge of the food change, who, by the way, is considered an expert in his field, and worked very closely with the executive chef, was relieved of his duties, right in the middle of putting all of this together. So, someone else will see to the completion, and I hope he is as good as his predecessor. I'm told my some of my cruise mates that have tried the new menu, that, for the most part, Royal Caribbean is regaining ground in the food department. That, to me is great news. I'm on the BR 12/1 and can hardly wait to try out some of the new dishes, as well, as what is being brought back from another era.

The gentleman that worked so hard, in conjunction with many others, that has left his post, is none other than Michael Bailey, the new President of Celebrity Cruises.

Thank you Michael, for all of your work to start to put Royal Caribbean back in the food business!! We will miss you, and hope that you appointed someone as good as yourself to finish the process.

So, that is some of the background on bringing us a new dimension to Royal Caribbean. I believe that when all is worked out, food will once again be talked about......hopefully in a more positive light......on Royal!!:)

Rick

Rick,

Very interesting and informative post! Thank you.

:)

Dee

Thank you, Rick!

I had no idea that Michael Bailey was the brains behind the new menus. I wish him all the best at Celebrity. :)

And, if you ever get that question on a Royal Caribbean trivia question......you will be the winner!!!:D

That information and a couple of bucks gets you a Starbucks onboard!!;)

Rick

I wasn't too worried about rising food costs for folks when my husband ate two lamb shanks. It appeared like MANY folks never bothered to go to dinner in the MDR. The My Time dining floor was always almost empty when we went to eat each night. I guess the Windjammer is busy at night, but we never went there.

I didn't notice it on the menus, but do they have any "sides" available everyday? For example, on Carnival they had a plain baked potato that you could get. It was on the everyday menu. I ordered this in addition to my meal a couple of times when I didn't like the side that came with my entree.

Maggie

I didn't notice it on the menus, but do they have any "sides" available everyday? For example, on Carnival they had a plain baked potato that you could get. It was on the everyday menu. I ordered this in addition to my meal a couple of times when I didn't like the side that came with my entree.

Maggie

You can get rice, veggies (usually broccoli, carrots or something similar), baked potato, mashed potatoes as sides. Just ask. DH always asked for mashed potatoes with some of his meals and they were gladly provided.

Edited by BND

A curious and perhaps silly question.......but, those of you who order

two entrees, do you order them both at the same time......or wait til

you finish the first? I 'm curious about the proper etiquette of this.

If in doubt about which entree to try, do it at the beginning in my opinion. It makes the waiter scramble around in a panic a tiny bit if you do it later. I guess they don't realize that you're totally willing to wait for it again and not expecting it to just appear instantaneously. I think it's a lot less effort and one less trip to get it for them to orchestrate. But overall, to do it at the beginning, but either way, it's fine.

But if you're ordering seafood, I will say we had better luck getting it LESS OVERCOOKED by ordering one for the table after we ate our first pick. It was fresher and hadn't sat and gotten rubbery we noticed.

Like I said, it seemed like many folks didn't bother going to the MDR at all on our cruise.

Edited by snackcracker675

Radiance (now in Australia for our summer season) looks like still old menu based on latest reviews from her recent repositioning cruise. Strange as looking at the new menus the produce and seafood as well as the beef and lamb would be much easier to obtain here and at a great quality and price point. Sailing on her for a NYE cruise around the south pacific for 10 days. Either way, new or old menus, I'm sure we'll find something to our taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by tangogulf

• 3 weeks later...
I just got an update from RCLDining with the remaining ships:

• FR - 8/19/2012
  • OA - 09/01/2012
  • AL - 09/16/2012
  • JW - 09/30/2012
  • EN - 10/04/2012
  • EX - 10/14/2012
  • MJ - 10/19/2012
  • BR - 11/12/2012
  • LB - 11/15/2012
  • AD - 11/18/2012
  • ID - 01/13/2013
  • MA - 02/??/2013
  • NV - 02/02/2013
  • GR - 03/01/2013
  • VI - 03/08/2013
  • SR - 05/12/2013
  • RD - 05/24/2013
  • RH - 05/31/2013
  • LG - TBA
  • SP - TBA
  • VY - TBA
  • MN - N/A (leaving the fleet on 04/01/13)

Per Royal's email to me the Mariner gets the new menu 2/17/13 sailing, week before mine. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

^That's new. I wonder if we'll get dates for the remaining three ships.

• FR - 8/19/2012
  • OA - 09/01/2012
  • AL - 09/16/2012
  • JW - 09/30/2012
  • EN - 10/04/2012
  • EX - 10/14/2012
  • MJ - 10/19/2012
  • BR - 11/2/2012 (or 11/12 or 12/2)
  • LB - 11/15/2012
  • AD - 11/18/2012
  • ID - 01/13/2013
  • MA - 02/??/2013
  • NV - 02/02/2013
  • MN - 02/17/2013
  • GR - 03/01/2013
  • VI - 03/08/2013
  • SR - 05/12/2013
  • RD - 05/24/2013
  • RH - 05/31/2013
  • LG - TBA
  • SP - TBA
  • VY - TBA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Since Allure leaves on Sunday is this the order of the menu?

Are formal nights Monday and Thursday day 2 and 5?

Thanks

The formal nights on Allure were Monday and Friday (at least on Eastern last month).

Do they have the new menu - I haven't read back through all the pages. I will be on the NYE cruise out of New Orleans - wondering what "special" things they might do - I've heard they give out party hats and noice makers in the MDR.

No more ships are scheduled to get the new menu between now and the end of the year, at least as of the last email I got from RCLDining.

• FR - 8/19/2012
  • OA - 09/01/2012
  • AL - 09/16/2012
  • JW - 09/30/2012
  • EN - 10/04/2012
  • EX - 10/14/2012
  • MJ - 10/19/2012
  • BR - 11/2/2012
  • LB - 11/15/2012
  • AD - 11/18/2012
  • ID - 01/13/2013
  • MA - 02/??/2013