New menu

Clamett

I have tried my best to read all of this most informative forum. Alot of great information.

My questions are about "My time dining." Since there are 13 of us, 8 adults and 5 children, we signed up for the above. With that request, we had to prepay gratuities. If we eat several nights at Windjammer, do our prepaid grats carry over to Windjammer or do we have to pay them again?

What flexibility do we have for dining each night? I think our dining time can be changed on a daily basis, if done ahead of time. No problem. Did not realize we would not be in the mail dining room. Can we go in there for a night, if available or have to remain in the "my time" dining room?

Just trying to understand how all this works, so we have no problems.

Thank you SO much. Susan:confused::confused:

I have tried my best to read all of this most informative forum. Alot of great information.

My questions are about "My time dining." Since there are 13 of us, 8 adults and 5 children, we signed up for the above. With that request, we had to prepay gratuities. If we eat several nights at Windjammer, do our prepaid grats carry over to Windjammer or do we have to pay them again? If you have prepaid gratuities, that covers all your gratuities (including your stateroom attendant), no matter where you eat.

What flexibility do we have for dining each night? I think our dining time can be changed on a daily basis, if done ahead of time. No problem. Did not realize we would not be in the mail dining room. Can we go in there for a night, if available or have to remain in the "my time" dining room? My Time dining IS in the main dining room. You can change your dining time ahead of time, or just show up without having a reservation.

Just trying to understand how all this works, so we have no problems.

Thank you SO much. Susan:confused::confused:

See answers in RED above.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On my recent Jewel cruise, the everyday escargot had been replaced on the printed menus by a "Salmon and Crab Gratin", which was small pieces of salmon and crab served in the same dish and butter mixture as the escargot was. The salmon pieces were a bit dry, but the crab was good.

There were a few other differences as well, such as the watermelon pudding being called a soup and the veal t-bone missing.

Edited by ahecht

• 2 months later...
Dont forget, this is only 7 menus. I am sure that there are at least 21, probably 28 different menus that were created. It is very possible your sailing will have that Grand Marnier souffle

Is this menu fleet wide?

• 1 month later...
You know before the Cruise Critic became really popular and not too many people (only we true Geeks) used the internet, a preview of the menu meant that you walked back to the MDR about an hour after lunch was finished and you could see what was on the menu for dinner.

It was kind of a surprise. At one time the description of Strawberry soup would have made me laugh. Who would eat a soup made from Strawberries? Why would anyone want an Onion Tart? And what about Escargot, eating snails!!! Yuck.

Well because I found my self sitting at a table with a group of seven or eight other people and because I had such a great day and had put on my Tux for dinner and all the other people looked so elegant, especially the ladies, you know I just thought I would step outside the comfort zone and try some of those things that sounded so strange. And guess what I liked them.

Now we look at a menu that someone post a month, six months, a year ahead of when we are going to eat the food. We say how did it taste? And we judge based on hearsay, based on one or two people's opinions.

We all have our own tastes. Something like Baramundi may taste bland to one person but to someone else may taste succulent with a faint essence of something or other that just excites the depths of the pallet.

The only way I can tell you if the new menu, or any menu for that matter is good for me is to taste the food. The great thing about a cruise is I can order two appetizers, a salad, an entree and if I like it get a second one, if I don't like it I can ask for something else. I can have a desert and the cheese plate. And at the end of the meal I can say to the table of eight "I'll pick up the check".

It does not matter how many glasses of wine I have or cognacs, I have a designated driver, well actually a team of them.

I will tell you if the menu I have on the Oasis is good for my pallet on the week of September 10th, that is when I will be back from my cruise.

DITTO! Thank you Steve G! :D You made me smile! I'm thankful to CLAMETT for posting the menus because the new choices give me something to look forward to. I've never been hungry on a cruise and for me the dining experience is more about the friends, fun and memories made than the food.

• 2 months later...
Such old posts...any updates or changes in the menu?

That was my first thought. I have read that Surf & Turf (Steak with a shrimp on it) has been removed but I can't confirm that. There is also reports that most ships do not have escargot on the everyday menu anymore.

I took the time to type out the menu back when this post originally started. I plan on verifying the menu next month on the Freedom.

Printer Friendly Menu Does not take into account changes that may have occurred since the new menus were introduced last year.

These are in the order they are currently being offered on the Freedom Western Caribbean, not sure about the order for any other sailings.

BonVoyage

Dawna

A curious and perhaps silly question.......but, those of you who order

two entrees, do you order them both at the same time......or wait til

you finish the first? I 'm curious about the proper etiquette of this.

I order 2 entrees and use one of them instead of an appetizer--usually a pasta dish.

No Escargot!!!! its Bay Scallops I guess a world wide shortage... We just got off the Freedom this past Sunday not a big fan of a couple things they got rid of, no more cheese sauce at breakfast to take the taste away from the scram eggs in Windjammer, no more doughnut's!!!

No Escargot!!!! its Bay Scallops I guess a world wide shortage... We just got off the Freedom this past Sunday not a big fan of a couple things they got rid of, no more cheese sauce at breakfast to take the taste away from the scram eggs in Windjammer, no more doughnut's!!!

NO MORE DOUGHNUTS????? What is the world coming to. How can I live without chocolate covered doughnuts.:o

You may not know that Royal no longer serves lobster without an additional charge. I am stunned as "lobster night" was always a highlight. I am disappointed.

I certainly wasn't aware of that. Is this a recent development or am I just behind on the news? Wow...if that's the case, I'll get my lobster in one of the Specialty restaurants. There's NO WAY that I will pay extra for lobster in the MDR...all of those meals are supposed to be covered in the base price of the cruise! (or so I thought...):confused:

There was "cheese sauce"? Hmmm...how did I miss THAT?!?

You may not know that Royal no longer serves lobster without an additional charge. I am stunned as "lobster night" was always a highlight. I am disappointed.

Are you sure? There is an upcharge Maine (cold-water) Lobster on the new menu, but that is in addition to, not instead of, the Langouste (warm-water) Lobster in the fisherman's platter on 5+ night American cruises. There hasn't been lobster on Med cruises or cruises under 5 nights for years.

Edited by ahecht

We had lobster last month on Freedom. Perhaps it was just your sailing??????

We were on a 15 day TA on the Brilliance. First cruise I've been on without a lobster night. I will admit that I am speaking about "real" lobster...one that would be a meal by itself. Asked my waiter which night it would be since I did not want to go to a specialty on that night. He told me that no lobster would be served. This at a time when lobster is a real bargain. We saw lobster in restaurants in New England for $17.95 for two! Just disappointed that it was not served on the cruise. Always made it a special night for the table.