transatlantic-Ryndam or Prinsendam?

pv girl

Advice please! Looking at last-minute booking for transatlantic late October.

Pricing and itineraries similar for Ryndam from Barcelona and Prinsendam from Rome. So here are the considerations and questions---

Never been on Prinsendam so this would be a great opportunity to experience this highly recommended ship. However, this goes into drydock on arrival in Florida and wondering if some maintenance will begin on the sea days at the end. People always advise not going on a cruise right before or right after drydock. And wondering if some maintenance will be deferred to the drydock and supplies limited as they try to "use up" everything and not restock.

Another consideration is that pre-cruise costs in Rome will be higher and more time-consuming - getting from airport to town for hotel and then train to port etc.

We have sailed Ryndam before and really liked the ship. Barcelona is much easier to navigate than Rome - and hotels are cheaper - and just a taxi to port.

HAL experts - what do you think? Take the easy way out and do Ryndam from Barcelona? Or use this as a chance to be on the Prinsendam in spite of some difficulties with Rome and the drydock?

We are 3* and would be doing an OV guarantee.

M wife and I considered the 3 later TATL cruises (Noordam while cheapest was too early and Maasdam too expensive/ and too late). People say the work on the Prinsendam is to enclose the current buffet outdoor seating area. Barcelona would have cost more for us to get to from where we'll be (Austria), and Barcelona hotel prices aren't cheap! We decided to go with Prinsendam as we'll take the chance to explore a bit more of Italy before we cruise out.

If I were you, I'd rent a car when you get to FCO and head to southern Tuscany, and get back to Civitavecchia day of cruise. Hertz (and Sixt) have offices very near the port entrance.

You can't go wrong with either choice; I would be happy with either one.

I have taken two longer cruises (32 days each) on ships that were heading to drydock when I disembarked. On neither one was there anything going on during the cruise that interferred one iota. The last night on the Rotterdam, during late dinner, the padding of the elevators started, and the shops started packing things away, but that was it. Anything done was behind the scenes.

I would never hesitate to take a final cruise prior to drydock.

I would only hesitate to take the first cruise post-drydock if there were extensive reconstruction work being done. Most drydocks have routine work done, and there are no reports of problems afterwards.

The choice is a toss-up, but I would seriously consider that this is an opportunity to check out the Prinsendam to see if you like it. She is different from the other ships in layout, service, atmosphere.

I was recently (May) on the Ryndam, and she was in fine form.

Depending on how far in advance you want to arrive, you don't have to stay in Rome. You could head straight to Civitevecchia, stay there and enjoy it's charm, then head to the ship.

To me the biggest disadvantage of the Prinsendam to a newcomer is the itineraries. It's not for everybody and most of the opportunities to try it out are long and expensive. I would say that if you have any thought that you MIGHT like the Prinsendam this is a unique opportunity to experience it without that big a risk.

My hunch is that if you like Ryndam you will LOVE Prinsendam, but only you can be sure after you try it.

Roy

We did an eastbound T/A on Ryndam in the spring and loved it. But If the Prinsendam had been available we would have gladly taken her. She is, to our mind, simply the finest ship in the fleet, or any competing fleet.

She really is....and I am comparing her to Regent. Not there, but very close. We are now spoiled and won't sail another HAL ship.

...the Prinsendam over the Ryndam (been on both) but you certainly will have a great time on whichever you select. Super staff on either ship.

I wouldn't worry about preliminary pre-dry dock stuff work. I would be more concerned about taking a cruise immediatly after the dry dock during the first "shakedown" cruise.

Have a Graet Cruise!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

For Prinsendam lovers we really must enjoy this thread. Lets be real honest. The Prinsendam is old, has too much rust, the roof of the bridge (the view from the Crows Nest) is patched, has bubbles, is corroded, etc......smoke from the crew deck can be smelled anywhere near the stairway to the crew deck, plumbing may not work all the time, A/C may not be balanced, the stage in the showroom really limits what they can do with shows, etc etc. There must be 50 reasons to hate the Prinsendam and yet many of us love this old ship. Go figure :) Now if HA would simply bring Tom Faulkner back as the CD on this ship we would be booking today :)

Hank

I have to say it has been many years since I have sailed. But when we did it was always HAL. They always treat you like a king or queen. Yes,yes, I know, we are booked on RCCL next year. We'll see how it goes ;)

Unless you have special attachments to a particular ship for personal reasons....all things being equal I would go with the larger ship in terms of motion alone. In the Med or Caribbean, even on a small ship you rarely feel anything. But in the open ocean, you will have movement. I would guess the larger ship would be more smooth on open water. Just my opinion

~Bob~

Unless you have special attachments to a particular ship for personal reasons....all things being equal I would go with the larger ship in terms of motion alone.

Not when the smaller ship is the Prinsendam! Her hull is shaped differently, and she cuts through the waves (as she was built to do), rather than ride them. She's a smooth old gal.

Not when the smaller ship is the Prinsendam! Her hull is shaped differently, and she cuts through the waves (as she was built to do), rather than ride them. She's a smooth old gal.

Interesting. I have no open ocean experience so just speculation here. Been through some rough weather in January around Hatteras though.

~Bob~

..................... Now if HA would simply bring Tom Faulkner back as the CD on this ship we would be booking today :)

Hank

Not sure if you are aware but Thom switched over from CD to Future Cruise Consultant alongside his wife Tina. They were both on Prinsendam in that capacity until about a month ago

Well I will just 'chime' in and vote for the Prinsendam too. The ship is not for everyone - she's smaller but the spaces on her are larger.

I for one fell in love with this ship and the fact that the economy has offered deals on her this year makes me jealous as we have used most of DH's time off.

I'd be grabbing that cruise on her in a minute.

I agree with Ruth - this ship cuts through the waves. She was built to sail the oceans and her captains are fabulous. She rides beautifully.

If guarantees are not a requirement check your deck plans, make sure you have one of her walk in closets:D and don't book the 'new' cabins (AB).

Any other cabins on her is just fine with me:):) (heck just look at my signature and see which ship I"m spending 31 days on next;))

For Prinsendam lovers we really must enjoy this thread. Lets be real honest. The Prinsendam is old, has too much rust, the roof of the bridge (the view from the Crows Nest) is patched, has bubbles, is corroded, etc......smoke from the crew deck can be smelled anywhere near the stairway to the crew deck, plumbing may not work all the time, A/C may not be balanced, the stage in the showroom really limits what they can do with shows, etc etc. There must be 50 reasons to hate the Prinsendam and yet many of us love this old ship. Go figure :) Now if HA would simply bring Tom Faulkner back as the CD on this ship we would be booking today :)

Hank

Your post hit the nail on the head. And, it put a smile on my face. I totally agree about Thom, too---in 23 cruises--he was the BEST!! For us, it's not about the newness and beauty of the ship. There are lots of those out there, which have limited appeal to me!! We have 2013 reserved on Prinsendam and waiting for January (hopefully) to see if they are repeating the next itinerary we are interested in---which would allow us to see Meteora!

We will be on the Ryndam on the 26th from Barcelona. I saw somewhere that the Ryndam will be going into drydock in Tampa after this trip. That

aside, this will be our first voyage on the Ryndam, our 2nd translantic cruise, our 3 previous cruises have been on the Vista Class ships.

We chose this cruise over the Rome repositioning becaue we have been to

Rome 3 times and have not been to Barcelona plus this was such a great deal.

Infrequentcruisers

I have sailed on a transatlantic on Prinsendam from Athens (Pireus) to Ft. Lauderdale leaving on October 30th and arriving in FLL around November 22. She went into drydock immediately on arrival. Prinsendam handles waves at sea far better than the S class ships IMHO. She was a bit tired looking and needed some sprucing up, but we really didn't notice any serious problems. She's old but she was built for ocean cruising and she was built to last. She's a beautiful, comfortable ship.

Prinsendam's big advantage is the ports she can enter. I'd compare itineraries as well as cost. I'd also see which ship takes the more southerly route across the Atlantic as you're likely to have smoother sailing on an autumn transatlantic. If you have a chance to see Madiera, don't pass it up.

Choose a port side cabin on either ship, so you get the warm sun on the way home and choose a verandah for those lovely sea days if you can afford it. Check on these boards to see if certain cabins have had problems reported (A/C, plumbing, etc.) and avoid those.

Whichever ship you choose, have a wonderful cruise. I just wish I could be on the Prinsendam this fall.

Prinsendam's big advantage is the ports she can enter. I'd compare itineraries as well as cost. I'd also see which ship takes the more southerly route across the Atlantic as you're likely to have smoother sailing on an autumn transatlantic. If you have a chance to see Madiera, don't pass it up.

Prinsendam is skipping Madeira completely for Horta, Azores while the 4 other HAL westbound TATL sailings will stop at Funchal. I have an old 2011-2012 cruise brochure and I believe the itinerary did change from Funchal. The added bonus is cruising up part of the Tagus river or perhaps just the bay) in Lisbon.

Advice please! Looking at last-minute booking for transatlantic late October.

Pricing and itineraries similar for Ryndam from Barcelona and Prinsendam from Rome. So here are the considerations and questions---

Never been on Prinsendam so this would be a great opportunity to experience this highly recommended ship. However, this goes into drydock on arrival in Florida and wondering if some maintenance will begin on the sea days at the end. People always advise not going on a cruise right before or right after drydock. And wondering if some maintenance will be deferred to the drydock and supplies limited as they try to "use up" everything and not restock.

Another consideration is that pre-cruise costs in Rome will be higher and more time-consuming - getting from airport to town for hotel and then train to port etc.

We have sailed Ryndam before and really liked the ship. Barcelona is much easier to navigate than Rome - and hotels are cheaper - and just a taxi to port.

HAL experts - what do you think? Take the easy way out and do Ryndam from Barcelona? Or use this as a chance to be on the Prinsendam in spite of some difficulties with Rome and the drydock?

We are 3* and would be doing an OV guarantee.

I have to say it has been many years since I have sailed. But when we did it was always HAL. They always treat you like a king or queen. Yes,yes, I know, we are booked on RCCL next year. We'll see how it goes ;)

Unless you have special attachments to a particular ship for personal reasons....all things being equal I would go with the larger ship in terms of motion alone. In the Med or Caribbean, even on a small ship you rarely feel anything. But in the open ocean, you will have movement. I would guess the larger ship would be more smooth on open water. Just my opinion

~Bob~

No question about it, we would always choose the Prinsendam...The Prinsendam was built to go around the World & agree this ship sails beautifully...We've been on both & loved them both, but we're booked in an OV on the Prinsendam for 68 days in Jan & really can't wait to get back on her..She truly is an "Elegant Explorer":..And as Kazu mentioned, the walk in closets are wonderful..Another nice thing is that there are only about 800 Psgrs with a wonderful crew..

quote=RuthC;35085746]Not when the smaller ship is the Prinsendam! Her hull is shaped differently, and she cuts through the waves (as she was built to do), rather than ride them. She's a smooth old gal.

I agree she is a "smooth old gal"

cheers...:)Betty

• 2 weeks later...

Prinsendam was the overwhelming choice of all who responded to my question. So we did it and booked yesterday - and the price went down again while we were deciding! Found a reasonably priced room in Rome for two nights before the cruise, so we are almost ready.

This is a wonderful opportunity to try the ship, so we feel very fortunate and are very excited. HAL service is almost always superb and everyone says Prinsendam is a "notch up" so we can't wait to get spoiled again. :):):)!

Prinsendam was the overwhelming choice of all who responded to my question. So we did it and booked yesterday - and the price went down again while we were deciding! Found a reasonably priced room in Rome for two nights before the cruise, so we are almost ready.

This is a wonderful opportunity to try the ship, so we feel very fortunate and are very excited. HAL service is almost always superb and everyone says Prinsendam is a "notch up" so we can't wait to get spoiled again. :):):)!

good for you:):) I hope you enjoy her as much as we did.

Have a wonderful cruise:D

Like an excellent cognac. I would choose Prinsendam. Last time I was on Ryndam I received a comp upgrade. Not great. Cabin was right above a glass recycling depot. My 6:00 A.M alarm clock every day of the cruise was the sound of breaking/smashing glass. That was cabin 791 on A deck.

Archived