Eclipse - don't think we will be back

thames_side

I indeed love the ambience and atmosphere when I am able to hear the live band from the upper decks. Of course, never heard anything in my cabin. And we always choose a cabin close to to atrium in the back.

What I don´t like is the loud and piped music at the pool.

It seems that they have cut the play time of the band by the pool. I miss that, since it was a classy way to sail and listen to some live beats.

But the canned music-no way...

Back from cruise to Iceland, Faroes and Norway. Great itinerary with

fantastic scenery.

Doubt if we will return to Eclipse. Very smart ship, nice big cabins,

excellent snacks in the coffee shop but oh the noise. Loud taped music

everywhere, and the same tape every day. You can set your watch by each song

as it comes up again at the same time. The band when it plays in the atrium

has to have a mike for each instrument linked to the sound system so loud

that it shakes the walls all the way to the top (including in the library).

A band that size could fill the Albert Hall with sound with no amplification

at all. The sound in the theatre is only bearable with your hands over your

ears, but perhaps I'm oversensitive.

I guess in hot weather, perhaps in the Caribbean or the Canaries, you could

find a quiet spot somewhere on deck but on a dull or wet day, when everyone

is stuck inside, the only place to retreat to is the cabin.

Doug

We encountered the same issue on Silhouette in April to the Caribbean. Loud music blaring all over the

Ship. One night at dinner there was Broadway show tunes blasting so loud we couldn't hear the waitstaff. Not only was the noise level unacceptable for the MDR but thechoice was awful. We requested that it beturned down and they did but the next night itwas back to screaming loud music.

ship. One night in the MDR themisic was blasting Broadway show tunes so loudwe could not hear ourwaiter

I think what would make the majority of people happy is a mix of quite spaces, areas with mellow classical, and a few places in the evening ( Martni bar ) with a louder , younger music mix.

I , personally like the music in the Martini bar in the evening. I don't like the music loop everywhere all the time though. It didn't annoy me, but I could do without it. There are evening venues like Michaels club with a music style that doesn't appeal to me, but that's fine.

Everyone should have an area of the ship that suits their style, and music tolerance. No single " group " should be able to dictate a preference that is adopted ship wide.

Well put. No problem with having some loud and lively areas for those who prefer, but recently on my Celebrity cruises I have found noise to be an issue. There is virtually no place on the ship you can go without some kind of background music piped in; sometimes soft, sometimes quite loud. The atrium on S class is beyond civilized. On my first RCCL cruise, one of the things I hated was the atrium and the extremely loud music and crowds. Due to the fact that it impacts pretty much all comings and goings from one end of the ship to the other it is not a place one can choose to go or not - at some point you will almost certainly need to traverse the noise and crowds due to the central location (more an issue on the actual floor, but with an impact all the way up). Imagine my dismay when I first cruised Solstice and realized that had brought that very annoying concept to Celebrity (one of several reasons I prefer M class). I hope Celebrity is listening to our feedback. So many people have written on comment cards, email to the new CEO, on these boards, etc., about having an issue with this. Keep a bar or two pumped up with music, but for heavens sake give the rest of us some peace and quiet. If I wanted a party ship I would sail Carnival! :D

I didn't notice that the music was too loud on either of the Eclipse cruises I've done nor on the Equinox.

What I did notice however on our last Eclipse cruise in May was that every time we left the cabin and went into the lift area, the Titanic film theme music was playing :eek:

The door bangers in the next cabin however were another story, also our cabin steward was a terrible door banger :mad:

It's exacerbated by the way the cabins are designed in tandem so the doors to these tandem cabins are right next to each other. It's a neat way of doing it to maximise use of space, but there is no insulation between them if doors are left to bang.

Phil

We answered a knock on door during last trip...person actually knocked on neighbors door...I agree with tandem door disappointment.

I didn't notice much "piped in noise" in public areas.

I thought Royal Caribbean catered for the younger customers. quote]

I was on the Summit just over a week ago and had a conversation with one of the senior officers on this very topic. The target demographic they are aiming at is now the 35 - 60 year old.

The only place I was very aware of music was on deck by the swimming pool. There are several speakers over the entire area. I was not able to listen to my own music due to this. I resolved my dilemma by going up on to a higher deck and further aft. This meant of course anything I needed involved a longer walk. It was however the only option for me.

Sue

fantastic scenery.

Doug

Phil and Doug,

We love the S Class ships and have done 3 cruises on the Eclipse. Some with you Phil. I love that we can sit up on our deck after and before dinner and listen to the band playing below. The late night concerts are great fun for us.

Most likely the sound level depends on the cruise director...and I bet if we followed them, we would see a pattern emerge. Some focus on the few folks who play the games and party and not on the majority who are just trying to relax....of course it depends on the cruise.

It would be nice if Celebrity stopped playing the music everywhere on the ship...leave one or two areas without speakers blaring. Perhaps that's a suggestion for the new ceo.

I concur with this - it would be nice if the music were an option. I haven't noticed it as a problem, so I suspect I haven't been on the same cruises as those who were bothered.

B

Probably easier to choose a cruiseline that siuts you than to get the line to change!

Personally I loved the millenium class ships, but have adapted to the solstice class and now love them too!

We love sitting high in the atrium and listening to the fun with our daughter. We have never noticed a problem with the music, in fact we were very puzzled to hear complaints about the loud music in the theatre when we had been right at the front and werent troubled at all!

Angie

I thought Royal Caribbean catered for the younger customers. quote]

I was on the Summit just over a week ago and had a conversation with one of the senior officers on this very topic. The target demographic they are aiming at is now the 35 - 60 year old.

Mmmm, at 64 and 65 and about to take our first Celebrity cruise I guess they aren't interested in our money then. I will take note of that.

But, why do they think that raising the decibels on the music everywhere throughout the ship will attract those in the 30 to 60 demographic? Who have they got researching this? Are they doing market research and the question comes up 'what would encourage you to cruise with Celebrity' and all they get back is 'loud music throughout the ship'??!!:confused:

Don't they know it is the older end that have the money to spend?

Probably easier to choose a cruiseline that siuts you than to get the line to change!

Personally I loved the millenium class ships, but have adapted to the solstice class and now love them too!

We love sitting high in the atrium and listening to the fun with our daughter. We have never noticed a problem with the music, in fact we were very puzzled to hear complaints about the loud music in the theatre when we had been right at the front and werent troubled at all!

Angie

I've only had 1 cruise on solstice class ships, so maybe it is just what you get used to, but I think I would rather sail on Millennium Class...I really enjoy walking outside on Deck 4 almost the entire ship length (with lifeboats above you). The Solstice Class (I assume all are identical) have only a small area on deck that you can actually see the water (lifeboats below).

Mmmm, at 64 and 65 and about to take our first Celebrity cruise I guess they aren't interested in our money then. I will take note of that.

Don't they know it is the older end that have the money to spend?

Make your own decisions after your first cruise. We rarely find a problem with noisy music and frankly the demographics still sway heavily toward older passengers. Last cruise there weren't more than 50 under 45.

Sometimes it is like we sailed in an alternate universe when I read some reviews which are so very different from our own.

It does happen.

Princess ships have four separate pool areas for all tastes.

Yes they do have four and the main one has the MUTS blasting away most of the time to provide the entertainment. Then they have adult quieter pools just like the S class has. So the snoozing can happen in those spots.

My only point was that the cruise lines will have areas that have high energy (which means high volume to most) areas. To expect no loud music is not realistic. But I do agree that there should be a mix. I just carry ear plugs to use if the volume bothers me rather than expect the world to match what I want.

There are places where I would expect loud music - Quasar for example (although that nearly always appears to be empty).

I also am not bothered if music is played in the bars etc BUT, in my opinion, the music should be background (unless it is a live act which is advertised in the daily newspaper so you know where to go and where to avoid if you don't want to hear it). In places like the Martini Bar I want to sit in lovely surroundings, with music playing at a level which allows me to have a conversation with my OH or other passengers.

To all of you who are asking "WHY" is Celebrity doing this..... Here is the answer:. To appeal to a younger generation who have grown up with walkmans, ipods, and now smartphones... constantly blaring music in their ears at all times.. They want, and NEED, loud pounding music following them wherever they go.. They do not appreciate, nor want, the tranquility and serenity of just being in the moment... with music merely acting as background ambiance... Instead, this pulsating loud music needs to be the main focus of whatever they do and wherever they are..

Celebrity recognizes this, and is now focusing their main attention on these groups of individuals so that they have new customers who will be on their ships for the next 50 years or so.

- Rick

I agree

I'll second this Tony, next we'll be talking about the loud music in the martini bar...

Remember that thread going on forever .

Don't get me started lol

Our first experience on a S class on a fairly new Solstice some years ago now, brought comments from our group that perhaps X and RCL had set out on a path to attract RCL cruisers to their next ship rather than maintain the "Old" feeling on X.

For us it seems even the Century has been over run by louder Techno type music in some venues.

Oh well ..I keep mentioning it as often as is reasonable to people that can do something about it.. onboard and head office in survey after survey.

Not going to ruin my cruise ...besides my hearing is going and soon it likely will not be an issue. (for me)

In reply to Mr. Bayley's personal email to me on becoming President and CEO, I welcomed him and suggested he join us to take in the X experience in Hawaii in November for a few days. Should he take me up on that I will (as I'm sure all the "Mates" on board will also) casually mention our mutual problem. :D

I've commented on loud music and amplification in the Theater before so will not comment here. I have yet to find any cruiseline perfect. Perhaps no line can ever be perfect. Celebrity is the best fit for me when I consider the alternatives. I hope that the OP finds the right line for their interests and desires.

fantastic scenery.

Doug

Did the Solarium have loud music?

I have no problem with the level of music on live shows. But the tecno crap they play on their muzak system is what I really have a problem with. My wife and I were sitting in the oceanview buffet on Eclipse one afternoon in March and we could not carry on a conversation over the stuff they were playing. It got to the point we just laughed at the situation. And, when walking on the outdoor track I could actually hear the piped in music even though I was wearing headphones and listening to my personal ipod.

fantastic scenery.

Doug

I want to book the Eclipse. Now, I must continue watching the boards for news that the over-amplification has been addressed.

The PROBLEM IS TOO MUCH SOUND SYSTEM not just in the Atrium, the library, the theater, but EVERYWHERE !!!

Has Celebrity Management fallen asleep!!!

I want to book the Eclipse. Now, I must continue watching the boards for news that the over-amplification has been addressed.

The PROBLEM IS TOO MUCH SOUND SYSTEM not just in the Atrium, the library, the theater, but EVERYWHERE !!!

Has Celebrity Management fallen asleep!!!

As I said on the other thread, you are asserting that your view is the right view and therefore Celebrity Management must have fallen asleep.

Let me assure you, without any inside knowledge of celebrity, that they know exactly what they are doing, they do surveys and they follow industry surveys that, by the way, show that bars that play loud music sell far more drinks than those that are quiet. Celebrity must attract over 800,000 passengers a year to fill their cruises (yup, figure it out)....and I'm going to venture that the demographic they are trying to attract prefers music everywhere all day and night. If they lose you, they hope to gain two or three more....and they are betting that you probably will just grouse and complain but you'll travel with Celebrity next time because you like the rest of their offerings.

You are no more right on music volume then the folks who believe that formal night should be formal only night, etc. Everyone has their own opinion...but please don't speak for all of us because we are not all in agreement.

My husband and I did an Alaska cruise on the Infinity at the end of July, and had a similar problem. The atrium/grand staircase wasn't so bad during the day, but during the evening the "music" coming from the martini bar was deafening. They started the music in the Oceanview cafe way too early in the morning, too. But what we really noticed was the over-amplification in the theater. When Brent Nixon, the naturalist, was speaking, there was no problem, but during a show I had to use the earplugs I always carry with me, just in case.

(Yes, I have sensitive hearing and always use earplugs at movies.)

I told Celebrity of my concerns on the comment form at the end of the cruise.

When we were on the Century last winter we would sit in the martini bar with friends and shout over the music, but at least you could shout over the music! On the Infinity we just ran past, hands over our ears.

We're going on the Eclipse next summer (the August Iceland/Norway cruise) and I sure hope they've dialed things back a bit by then.

Passengers should not have to tolerate deafening music.

I can't visit with others when I have my hands over ears or using ear plugs.

Celebrity MUST do something about this problem.

Archived