Is JS cabin 1100 worth the extra $$

Mark42

We are going on our 1st and probably only,Alaska cruise next May 31st.

Currently have corner aft cabin #8168 booked.

JS Cabin #1100 just became available so I put a hold on it, and now I am deciding.

Cost is add'l $1200 total

Our airfare was free using miles

Our hotels are free using points

We have $325 on Board credit, for "stuff"

I really want this cabin, but I am trying to justify the exrta $$$

As a footnote we are empty nesters and don't struggle to pay bills, but I still am cost concious!

Would appreciate some opinions.

We are going on our 1st and probably only,Alaska cruise next May 31st.

Currently have corner aft cabin #8168 booked.

JS Cabin #1100 just became available so I put a hold on it, and now I am deciding.

Cost is add'l $1200 total

Our airfare was free using miles

Our hotels are free using points

We have $325 on Board credit, for "stuff"

I really want this cabin, but I am trying to justify the exrta $$$

As a footnote we are empty nesters and don't struggle to pay bills, but I still am cost concious!

Would appreciate some opinions.

Alaska is an expensive cruise, so pricing has to be looked at with that in mind. Normally, $1200 would be too much for us for that kind of upgrade, but in this case I'd be very tempted to do it. JS 1100 is a corner aft also, which is really nice for the visually spectacular Alaska scenery. Also, if the deck plans are accurate, the balcony on 1100 seems to have more visibility off to the side than 8168. Maybe some Radiance experts can chime in here, but if that is the case, I'd go for it.

We have had both 1100 and 8168. The balcony on 1100 is slightly bigger but both have great field of vision. My rule of thumb is that if it is between $35 - $40 per day per person more for a JS I take the JS. Any more and I stick with the D2. There is nothing wrong with 8168. We had it on the Radiance for a 14 day Alaska repo cruise a few years ago and it was outstanding.

I have pictures of both balconies.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

I am all for bigger cabins....BUT....In all honesty....I think $1200 is a pretty steep jump on that class ship to go to a JS. I was on Radiance in Alaska this June in a D1...I used the balcony for less than a total of half an hour for the entire week...it was just to darn cold to enjoy any time out there.....and the time you were outside...you wanted to be up on deck with a 360 view.

Edited by bajathree

I always book the min of a JS...and #1100 is one of my favorites to sail in when it's available.

However, I could have had it for our May 17, 2013 Alaska but I opted to go for # 1042. Even though we could have great weather...for Alaska I prefer a cabin with a little more protection and less exposure.

Any other itinerary if I had it booked it would stay booked ;):D:D

• 4 years later...

Have spent a total of 30 nights on the Radiance in JS 1100, just booked Alaska in 2018 for another 7 in #1100. Loved that cabin, quiet, and the Balcony is just marvelous.

Highly recommend #1100 any chance you can get, except on any cruise I'm on. LOL.

Last was on in April 2016, Sydney to Vancouver, and then it went into refit---- anybody know what upgrades were made in 2016?

... Last was on in April 2016, Sydney to Vancouver, and then it went into refit---- anybody know what upgrades were made in 2016?

No major changes, primarily the required periodic marine maintenance and inspection.

Cabin 1100 has to be my favorite of all time. That being said, after our Alaska trip, I said if we were to do it again I may not bother with the balcony. We weren't out there enough to make it worth the while (as opposed to being up top where you can see all around as mentioned previously). We did the Caribbean when we were in 1100 and loved it (it was on Brilliance but I'm sure it is the same).

Ooh that's a tough one. 1100 is an amazing cabin/balcony, but since you already have 8168 I'd be inclined to pass for $1200. But only you know your finances! We were in 9256 in Alaska last time, it was amazing. We did need blankets to stay outside for any length of time.