TS/ Hurricane Leslie

Julma

Per this article in the Royal Gazette, they're expecting the Dawn to go to the Bahamas, with NCL making its final decision by Friday, the ship's departure day from Boston. Plans for the Star are less certain because that ship doesn't depart NY until Sunday afternoon:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120905/NEWS/709059949

Cruise ship agents are also weighing up alternative destinations. The Norwegian Dawn is due in from Boston at 11am on Sunday.

Vice President of Maritime Operations at Meyer Agencies, Joe Semos said: “Tentative arrangements are being made for her to go to the Bahamas instead of Bermuda this weekend.

“We will know for sure by Friday when the ship boards in Boston,” he said.

It says tentative arrangements are being made, which sounds like a contingency plan, not an expected outcome.

I agree! Bonine and lots of champagne always works for me :D

And can you believe a remnant of Isaac is returning to the Gulf as Invest 90 - supposed to bring rain to us in Central FL.

Forget champagne!!

Try the Dark n Stormy instead - they help better as they contain ginger .... The NCL ships do serve them.

Cheers!

You'll all be safe-cruise ships can outsail a hurricane or storm and have all the latest equipment/radars/data etc. The captain and crew will not put their own lives at risk. Your Captain isn't off the Costa Concordia.

I doubt very much Bermuda will be hosting any cruise ships in the next week. When they were hit with Fabian, years ago, the hurricane took out the bridge, most of the port, and really made a mess. We were on the first sailing back to Bermuda after the port was closed for about 3 weeks. The bridge was closed to buses so anywhere you wanted to go that involved going over the bridge to the other side of the island, was by taxi. I remember it cost us about 40.00 to go to Swizzle Inn. :eek: The first cruise that was supposed to go to Bermuda when the storm hit, went north. Most folks did not know this until the very last minute. The others after that went to the Bahamas. You just never know what will happen with Bermuda..:)

On the other side of the coin....we are leaving NY for a 10-day trip to Eastern Canada, including a scheduled stop in Halifax, NS on Mon., 9/10. This was the day that Leslie was supposed to pass close to NS and/or Newfd. Wondering if we may have a change in itinerary due to Leslie.

Kind of ironic--usually Canada is where they send ships when a hurricane is threatening Bermuda or the Bahamas.

Oh, well, we'll take what comes and enjoy the cruise anyway!;)

On the other side of the coin....we are leaving NY for a 10-day trip to Eastern Canada' date=' including a scheduled stop in Halifax, NS on Mon., 9/10. This was the day that Leslie was supposed to pass close to NS and/or Newfd. Wondering if we may have a change in itinerary due to [u']Leslie[/u].

Kind of ironic--usually Canada is where they send ships when a hurricane is threatening Bermuda or the Bahamas.

Leslie is not supposed to be even close to NS in that time frame. Monday and Tuesday it is supposed to be far offshore of New Hampshire and Maine. By the time it gets up close to Halifax, you guys will be long gone.

I doubt very much Bermuda will be hosting any cruise ships in the next week. When they were hit with Fabian, years ago, the hurricane took out the bridge, most of the port, and really made a mess. We were on the first sailing back to Bermuda after the port was closed for about 3 weeks. The bridge was closed to buses so anywhere you wanted to go that involved going over the bridge to the other side of the island, was by taxi. I remember it cost us about 40.00 to go to Swizzle Inn. :eek: The first cruise that was supposed to go to Bermuda when the storm hit, went north. Most folks did not know this until the very last minute. The others after that went to the Bahamas. You just never know what will happen with Bermuda..:)

Leslie is not as strong as Fabian and will have no where near the impact Fabain had. It also appears that Fabian is heading east of Bermuda which means the most damaging winds on the East side of the eye will be further from Bermuda. I doubt that the Sunday sailings to Bermuda will be effected.

On the other side of the coin....we are leaving NY for a 10-day trip to Eastern Canada' date=' including a scheduled stop in Halifax, NS on Mon., 9/10. This was the day that Leslie was supposed to pass close to NS and/or Newfd. Wondering if we may have a change in itinerary due to [u']Leslie[/u].

We're on the same sailing so we've been watching the storm too. It looks now like it won't reach NS until Tuesday so we'll be gone by then. It will probably be a rainy day on Monday though. It's several days away yet, so anything can happen. We'll find out on Saturday, but I'm with you. We'll enjoy the cruise no matter what happens. I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

See you at the M&G on Sunday.

Leslie is not as strong as Fabian and will have no where near the impact Fabain had. It also appears that Fabian is heading east of Bermuda which means the most damaging winds on the East side of the eye will be further from Bermuda. I doubt that the Sunday sailings to Bermuda will be effected.

I never said that it would have the same impact, did I? Depending of how fast the storm moves will tell how long the port stays closed, IF it does at all. :) I was just stating what happened to us.

Like I said, you never know...:) Read on..

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/06/world/americas/bermuda-hurricane-leslie/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

NCL just updated their website, seems Dawn will sail but they won't make the call on turning towards Bermuda or heading south until well under way.

Tropical Storm Update

Updated Thursday, September 6, 2012 @ 12 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Leslie which is forecast to impact Bermuda this weekend.

Norwegian Dawn will sail as scheduled tomorrow from Boston. Depending on the path of the storm, we may need to alter the itinerary. We will keep guests updated on board.

Norwegian Star will sail as scheduled on Sunday, September 9 from New York.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding.

# # #

Forget champagne!!

Try the Dark n Stormy instead!

Thanks! Will do :D

darkandstormy_5013.jpg

ttss_dark_n_stormy_01_h.jpg

All kidding aside, here's wishing smooth seas and sunny skies to all sailing soon, wherever you end (hic)up..

Oh and BTW this is an interesting site to read about what is happening on the islands:

http://stormcarib.com/reports/current/bermuda.shtml

I believe I just read on the Celebrity board from someone who's on the Summit that the Star is leaving today at 5pm instead of tomorrow. He also said seas were rocky.

I can't believe that someone from the CELEBRITY SUMMIT has to tell us that the STAR was leaving Bermuda today at 5 PM. Isn't there anyone on the STAR that can let us know what's going on???

I can't believe that someone from the CELEBRITY SUMMIT has to tell us that the STAR was leaving Bermuda today at 5 PM. Isn't there anyone on the STAR that can let us know what's going on???

Someone from the Star posted it in on their roll-call - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35232765&postcount=456

Its rude of them not to let us know what the heck is going on isn't it:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me, the LAST thing in the world I'm thinking about on a cruise is posting information on my current one LOL

Fabian was a solid cat3 with the eyewall passing directly over the island. This is going to miss quite a ways now if the current models pan out. (which no one is going to complain about for sure!)

It will be rocky coming to and fro but most people will enjoy it. Don't worry, the barf bags will be by the elevators for those lightweights that need 'em. :D

Cheers,

Norman

We have friends on Star and were tracking her on http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ for the last two days. She did spend time at the dockyard and did leave at about 5 p.m. tonight. From other Bermuda reports, there are high winds and waves in the Atlantic and they will have a bit of a rough ride home to NY. While in Bermuda, the weather was not the best. Beaches were closed, the locals were shutting down for the storm. Not shore how much Star guests could do ashore. Can't wait to hear from out friends when they return home on Sunday.

Rick and Deirdra

I'm back on island.

When we flew in at 1:30 pm today (Thursday) I saw just the NCL Star berthed at Dockyard. No sign of X Summit - I reckon it left prolly yesterday or earlier today.

We had a smooth flight home and it wasn't windy. But we did see high surf along South Shore. This is normal to receive high surf several days before the hurricane or TS visit.

As it happens, Leslie changed her bearings and is veering east of island which means we'll get TS winds after all.

Archived