are jeans acceptable in port

buzzandjulie

Terry are you a fan of the McCoys?

YES!! Appreciate the link with the wording. I have a good friend who grew up in Dayton where that group was from and started. He helped get the state law passed to make that song "official" as the rock song of the state. Fun song and history!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Well, Terry, you have just coined a new word for describing some kinds of jeans.:D

THANKS! Sloopy and sloppy could both be close cousin to scruffy, slovenly and slobbish, etc. Lots of word to describe less than ideal standards and appearance. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

I think your question was very reasonable. We have found the Italians to be very well dressed and they wear beautiful shoes! I think nice jeans are fine. For church viewing, you will need a head covering and something over your shoulders if you do not have sleeves in your top. If it is 55, you probably will not be wearing sleeveless so you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip.

I don't know of any churches in Europe that have required a head covering for many years. A few mosques might, however, if visiting somewhere like Istanbul.

I don't know of any churches in Europe that have required a head covering for many years. A few mosques might, however, if visiting somewhere like Istanbul.

Excellent added info from super-expert Cynthia. At the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, they would provide some coverings for you to use while visiting, plus you would need to remove your shoes.

I think your question was very reasonable. We have found the Italians to be very well dressed and they wear beautiful shoes! I think nice jeans are fine. For church viewing, you will need a head covering and something over your shoulders if you do not have sleeves in your top. If it is 55, you probably will not be wearing sleeveless so you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip.

I have been to Europe every year for the past 11 years and have never seen a Church that requires a head covering and believe me I have been in all the major Churches including St Peters. We were also in Istanbul, visited the Mosques and a head covering is not required by someone who is not Muslim..

Jeans are fine everywhere and worn by tourists and the locals everywhere.

YES!! Appreciate the link with the wording. I have a good friend who grew up in Dayton where that group was from and started. He helped get the state law passed to make that song "official" as the rock song of the state. Fun song and history!!

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Aha! So that explains why when I googled the song a pic of the Buckeyes stadium came up. :).

Dress topics tend to veer towards peoples wants/needs too unfortunately. I've read on countless threads here how wearing sneakers is basically the devil. Well I wear them daily, as that's the only way my bad feet will survive, and i've yet to have an issue in Europe. This year will mark my 4th cruise, 3 in the med and this year is more northern then med.

Wear your jeans. Just don't wear them on formal night in the MDR LOL :-)

I would say that sneakers are about as inappropriate in many restaurants in Europe as jeans are on a formal night.

As a European I can say:

There is no dresscode on the streets of Europe. You can wear whatever you please, just like in your country I would say.

Now for indoors:

It al depends on the type of place. Fancy restaurant, they wouldn't refuse you if dressed shabbily. Be prepared though for some frowns.

Low end restaurants, no problem.

Just sightseeing: anything goes.

And like some-one said before, dress appropiately when visiting places of worship.

LOL, wow, "The McCoys", haven't heard of them in a few years! Talk about dating one's self!!:D

I can tease you because i am from the same era!;)

Don't feel bad, I was reading this thread from the last post up and thought you were talking about "The Real McCoys" TV series with Walter Brennan. Hang on Sloopy was a great song, remember it well, its on my IPOD. When you speak about dating yourself, my kids get ticked off at me because I still call jeans dungarees...

One of DWs big complaints about Italy is how many Italian men have traded-in their gorgeous Italian tailored suits (and shoes) for jeans and sneakers (or sandals). She loves people watching (as do I...but of the opposite sex). We were in Europe for a very long cruise this past March, April and May and its the first time I took a pair of jeans on a European cruise. The weather was chilly in many of our ports (we had 31) and I lived in those jeans in just about every port. The Europeans have really adopted jeans and many would agree with DW that its a shame :). By the way, we were once window shopping on Capri and spotted a ragged torn pair of jeans in a boutique window that only cost 600 Euros! Go figure.

Hank

Archived