are jeans acceptable in port

buzzandjulie

We will be taking a TA in December the ports will be cool at around 55 is it acceptable to wear jeans in Florance and Barcelona

As noted by others, jeans are fine in Italy, Spain, etc. You'll see it "ALL" in Europe. Clearly, there are jeans that look nicer and better. As well as, those jeans that can look pretty marginal, sloopy and so-so. Depends on your style, comfort, body build, etc. Does your cruise start in Barcelona and will you have time there to explore and enjoy that great city with so much character, charm and history/architecture, etc.??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It's not unusual for people to ask these types of questions.

From time to time people ask this very question on the Europe ports of departure board as they do about items such as shorts and sports shoes.

Keith

I admire the OP for asking. What she may have in the back of her mind is the concept of covering shoulders and knees in European cathedrals and churches as a sign of respect. We're all new at something at some time.

I admire the OP for asking. What she may have in the back of her mind is the concept of covering shoulders and knees in European cathedrals and churches as a sign of respect. We're all new at something at some time.

Yes, and my view is all questions are good.

Keith

Yes, and my view is all questions are good.

Keith

Please tell me what I said that gave you the impression that I was questioning anyone's right to ask any question. I was merely trying to find out what was their concern. Were they planning to visit Churches? Were they going to sites where a dress code has been specified? The more information we receive about the reason for the question, the better the answer we can provide. Questions are important, but correct answers are equally important.

Please tell me what I said that gave you the impression that I was questioning anyone's right to ask any question. I was merely trying to find out what was their concern. Were they planning to visit Churches? Were they going to sites where a dress code has been specified? The more information we receive about the reason for the question, the better the answer we can provide. Questions are important, but correct answers are equally important.

Given that three people had already answered the original poster, I think probably elaborating on what you were asking would have helped just as you did this time around

Just my opinion.

Keith

Given that three people had already answered the original poster, I think probably elaborating on what you were asking would have helped just as you did this time around

Just my opinion.

Keith

Entitled to your opinion. Perhaps it is correct. However, I was trying to get more information from the OP and not suggest reasons why they might have asked. Nothing wrong with open ended questions. In fact, they usually lead to better dialogue. Case closed.

Well said. :) I remember the 1st few times we traveled. You naturally have a lot of questions and concerns, most due to a little nervousness and excitement too.

having never been to Europe and the fact that we will be visting some churchs I was concerned that our American casual is just too relaxed for Europe

You'll be fine in jeans. Most Churches only require that your knees be covered. Women should dress modestly. I want you to know that I was never questioning or attacking your question. Was only trying to get clarification. Some people just seem to jump to conclusions for whatever reasons they may have. Others see a post and that seems to trigger something. I regret that your legitimate question was turned into a point of contention and regret if I added to that. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

having never been to Europe and the fact that we will be visting some churchs I was concerned that our American casual is just too relaxed for Europe

Appreciate the added information. It helps!! Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

IIRC some churches, esp. St. Peters require women to have their shoulders covered as well as no shorts for anybody. Have fun. Eat lots of gelato. :)

If you go to Italy you'll see the trendiest jeans ever ---- or people who look so good in jeans it makes you jealous :D The only time to worry is if you are in a strappy top with your shoulders not covered and shorts so that they can see your knees.

:)

Dress topics tend to veer towards peoples wants/needs too unfortunately. I've read on countless threads here how wearing sneakers is basically the devil. Well I wear them daily, as that's the only way my bad feet will survive, and i've yet to have an issue in Europe. This year will mark my 4th cruise, 3 in the med and this year is more northern then med.

Wear your jeans. Just don't wear them on formal night in the MDR LOL :-)

As noted by others, jeans are fine in Italy, Spain, etc. You'll see it "ALL" in Europe. Clearly, there are jeans that look nicer and better. As well as, those jeans that can look pretty marginal, sloopy and so-so. Depends on your style, comfort, body build, etc. Does your cruise start in Barcelona and will you have time there to explore and enjoy that great city with so much character, charm and history/architecture, etc.??

Terry was the word sloopy a typo or is it actually a word? It is awesome and describes some jeans to a T. Frankly, I don't know how they keep them from falling off!

I think your question was very reasonable. We have found the Italians to be very well dressed and they wear beautiful shoes! I think nice jeans are fine. For church viewing, you will need a head covering and something over your shoulders if you do not have sleeves in your top. If it is 55, you probably will not be wearing sleeveless so you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip.

Terry, was the word sloopy a typo or is it actually a word? It is awesome and describes some jeans to a T. Frankly, I don't know how they keep them from falling off!

It's a typo!! Meant to say sloppy. But being from Ohio, Sloopy is a key and often-used word here. "Hang on Sloopy" is a very popular song by the pop group The McCoys which was #1 in America in October 1965 and is the official rock song of the state of Ohio and Ohio State University. The OSU marching band always plays it at home games to start the fourth quarter before 105,000 people in the Stadium. Was there yesterday and love that song. Yes, need to do that spell-checking more carefully. One letter can make a big different. Cute comment!! Good eye and catch by you.

It's a typo!! Meant to say sloppy. But being from Ohio, Sloopy is a key and often-used word here. "Hang on Sloopy" is a very popular song by the pop group The McCoys which was #1 in America in October 1965 and is the official rock song of the state of Ohio and Ohio State University. The OSU marching band always plays it at home games to start the fourth quarter before 105,000 people in the Stadium. Was there yesterday and love that song. Yes, need to do that spell-checking more carefully. One letter can make a big different. Cute comment!! Good eye and catch by you.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry are you a fan of the McCoys :D

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_mccoys/hang_on_sloopy.html

Archived