FCD's - New Terms Begin on Friday

sail7seas

Another consideration would be that I don't "know" anybody on the other boards. It has taken years to get comfortable here and to know who to listen to. It would mean starting from scratch somewhere else and I am not too sure I would bother. I really like CC and don't want to move.

Enjoyed your post about your tour, Sapper. Most interesting your last paragraph...I totally agree with you.

Because HAL isn't sailing to Bermuda any longer, and because next May is our 45th anniversary, I've booked Celebrity "Summit". But I just can't bring myself to post with strangers!

Another consideration would be that I don't "know" anybody on the other boards. It has taken years to get comfortable here and to know who to listen to. It would mean starting from scratch somewhere else and I am not too sure I would bother. I really like CC and don't want to move.

I bet you wouldn't find anyone like me there either:D:o:p:eek:;). Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading about it.

I certainly do not like this new arrangement. We take longer cruises. So now when onboard instead of putting down $200 for a future cruise we will need to put down $1000.00. This is not good. It seems to be going back to 10% of the purchase price.

It was nice while it lasted. And I don't get onboard until next Wednesday.:mad:

I wonder if HAL is making these changes so that passengers will have more skin in the game, so to speak, and not be likely to cancel without good reason. It is possible that, under the expiring program, people with future cruise deposits were booking on a whim and cancelling and rebooking and cancelling, etc. With people expected to make a greater financial commitment, perhaps HAL figures they might be more serious about the booking, and HAL yield management will get a better feel for how each sailing is selling without having to bargain bucket cabins before final due date.

I wonder if HAL is making these changes so that passengers will have more skin in the game, so to speak, and not be likely to cancel without good reason. It is possible that, under the expiring program, people with future cruise deposits were booking on a whim and cancelling and rebooking and cancelling, etc. With people expected to make a greater financial commitment, perhaps HAL figures they might be more serious about the booking, and HAL yield management will get a better feel for how each sailing is selling without having to bargain bucket cabins before final due date.

I agree.

The only 'loss' most U.S. and Canadian HAL cruisers would suffer for cancelling prior to final payment was non-refundable insurance premiums. I don't that is the case for cruisers from U.K. and Australia, for example.

:) Actually it is ALL Good News for the changes coming to the Future Cruise Deposits.

First if anyone has a Future Cruise Deposit in waiting absolutely nothings changes on that.

But starting on Friday on board the ships of HAL there will be a new Break Down in Purchasing Future Cruise Deposits that you will sort of need to know what type of cruise you will be purchasing and this also will apply if you book a New cruise on board the ship.

Sailings of 3 to 10 days will now be a $100.00 deposit or Future Cruise Deposit per person with the same Ship Board Credit received as before. The difference here is that I believe that those under 7 days will now receive Ship Board Credit they did not previously.

Sailings booked that are 11 -21 days in length will require a deposit of $250.00 per person and will receive the Ship Board Credit that was given previously for the longer voyages with the Future Cruise Deposit.

Sailings 22 - 50 days will require a $500.00 per person deposit and yes there is a whole new set of Ship Board Credit for this that is higher but I do not have those figures as of yet.

51 days or Longer will be $1000.00 Deposit with Ship Board Credit as well that is more.

Previously when you purchased a Future Cruise Deposit it could only be used for sailings up to 36 days now you will be able to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit for theose longer sailings even though you are not yet ready to book or that sailing has not yet been released such as World Cruise Segments.

It really is all good and they are not taking away anything other than those that book longer cruises with the $100 FUture Cruise Deposit they will have to use a Future Cruise Deposit that cost a bit more but while I did not get the exacts I want to say there was a bit more in Ship Board Credit with the $250.00 Future Cruise Deposit but I could be mistaken.

Lisa: Thank you for clarifying the situation.

The new rules actually went into effect last Friday, September 21st while we were on the Westerdam.

It might be going ship by ship like roll outs often do. But at any rate did they give any kind of break downs in writing?

One of contacts had stated that they thought it was not going into effect till October 1st while another thought it was this next Friday.

I will be very curious if some of the questions asked on the posts above are addressed.

:) Actually it is ALL Good News for the changes coming to the Future Cruise Deposits.

First if anyone has a Future Cruise Deposit in waiting absolutely nothings changes on that.

But starting on Friday on board the ships of HAL there will be a new Break Down in Purchasing Future Cruise Deposits that you will sort of need to know what type of cruise you will be purchasing and this also will apply if you book a New cruise on board the ship.

Sailings of 3 to 10 days will now be a $100.00 deposit or Future Cruise Deposit per person with the same Ship Board Credit received as before. The difference here is that I believe that those under 7 days will now receive Ship Board Credit they did not previously.

Sailings booked that are 11 -21 days in length will require a deposit of $250.00 per person and will receive the Ship Board Credit that was given previously for the longer voyages with the Future Cruise Deposit.

Sailings 22 - 50 days will require a $500.00 per person deposit and yes there is a whole new set of Ship Board Credit for this that is higher but I do not have those figures as of yet.

51 days or Longer will be $1000.00 Deposit with Ship Board Credit as well that is more.

Previously when you purchased a Future Cruise Deposit it could only be used for sailings up to 36 days now you will be able to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit for theose longer sailings even though you are not yet ready to book or that sailing has not yet been released such as World Cruise Segments.

It really is all good and they are not taking away anything other than those that book longer cruises with the $100 FUture Cruise Deposit they will have to use a Future Cruise Deposit that cost a bit more but while I did not get the exacts I want to say there was a bit more in Ship Board Credit with the $250.00 Future Cruise Deposit but I could be mistaken.

Thank you for posting this helpful information.

I was speaking with someone today who mentioned new FCD rules starting Friday but we did not get into just what the changes are?

Anyone know ?

I suspect it is not in 'our' favor. :D I think it will take away the shipboard credit and benefit will only be we can put down low deposit but I'm not sure.

I would contact th First Lt. of the ship for the rules as to whether the FCD/ OIC and CIC coordination is for.. to what lenghts to be determined. I suggest 6000 yds .

Your section officer or chief will clarify the FCD.

NATOSC will have specific parameters for your FDC and on what basis to interdict , determined by SOG/NSG. or better

I think your XO and OD on the specific situationwill have more detailed nformation from COMPACOM. for FYI/ NTKCOM

Remember FFOGFYG....

I would contact th First Lt. of the ship for the rules as to whether the FCD/ OIC and CIC coordination is for.. to what lenghts to be determined. I suggest 6000 yds .

Your section officer or chief will clarify the FCD.

NATOSC will have specific parameters for your FDC and on what basis to interdict , determined by SOG/NSG. or better

I think your XO and OD on the specific situationwill have more detailed nformation from COMPACOM. for FYI/ NTKCOM

Remember FFOGFYG....

?????????

Enjoyed your post about your tour, Sapper. Most interesting your last paragraph...I totally agree with you.

Because HAL isn't sailing to Bermuda any longer, and because next May is our 45th anniversary, I've booked Celebrity "Summit". But I just can't bring myself to post with strangers!

Bermuda will be lovely for a special anniversary.

I like the line about not posting with strangers. Sort of an updated version of Mom's first rule. :D

Well the food was amazing and, peeking in the shop windows, there seemed to be clothing you might actually buy. I loved the elegant wood panelling and the tasteful furnishings.

The cabins were smaller than HAL on a level to level comparison. There were no cabins with double basins unless you took an Owner's Suite. The rep I spoke with said they did not put them in the new builds either. The bathrooms were extremely small.

The cabins we visited were occupied and my husband found out from a rep that the occupants received OBC's for allowing the tour. Each cabin had a crew member standing guard as the visitors filed through.

My husband did not like the low ceilings. The dining room ceiling was very low and gave an enclosed feeling. I kind of agreed with him on that point.

The presentation was very well done and they had several suits from head office for the gathering. I would say there were about 100 of us in all. We knew many of the participants and a number of them bought the FCD's that were offered.

We both felt that we did not experience the intangible comfortable feeling we get when we board a HAL ship so we passed on the FCD'S. Now the Queen Mary2 tour tomorrow just might make converts out of us. Who knows?

How wonderful that you are getting tours of so many ships.

I am looking forward to your report on the Queen Mary 2.

We already weren't particularly fond of spending much time with the FCC's after a couple of less than satisfactory experiences so this kind of seals the deal for us. I guess for those who have planned out their cruises even further than we can or do or are able to take a number of cruises over a short period then this new policy might be good. In the whole scheme of things it probably doesn't make much difference to us and may or may not be good for others.

We are just off the Eurodam (amazing cruise apart from check in). We booked our future cruise letter on Friday morning - no mention was made of the changes to conditions. We found this out later in the day - as did other members of our CC group.

As we had only paid the $100 deposit, we were worried about how this would affect our next booking as we normally take longer cruises. The FCC has assured us we will be able to pay the increased deposit when we book our next cruise. He also said that those holding an earlier generic letter would have to pay the increased deposit if the booked a cruise longer than 10 days.

The FCC also said he had spent the day dealing with irate cruisers.

So confusion reigns.

We already weren't particularly fond of spending much time with the FCC's after a couple of less than satisfactory experiences so this kind of seals the deal for us. I guess for those who have planned out their cruises even further than we can or do or are able to take a number of cruises over a short period then this new policy might be good. In the whole scheme of things it probably doesn't make much difference to us and may or may not be good for others.

Thank you, Randy.

I was thinking I was the only one who does not enjoy working (some) of the FCC's on the ships. It rarely works well for me.

They earn their living doing what they do but they don't always understand we are spending our earnings while on our vacation and don't care to do their whole concept of how the interaction is going to proceed. I've been told some fairly outrageous things and have 'overheard' them give downright incorrect information to others. I KNOW they are wrong but it isn't for me to correct them in front of their 'client'. It leaves me feeling very badly knowing those folks depended upon the information the 'expert' just told them.

JMO......

Well the food was amazing and, peeking in the shop windows, there seemed to be clothing you might actually buy. I loved the elegant wood panelling and the tasteful furnishings.

The cabins were smaller than HAL on a level to level comparison. There were no cabins with double basins unless you took an Owner's Suite. The rep I spoke with said they did not put them in the new builds either. The bathrooms were extremely small.

My husband did not like the low ceilings. The dining room ceiling was very low and gave an enclosed feeling. I kind of agreed with him on that point.

The presentation was very well done and they had several suits from head office for the gathering. I would say there were about 100 of us in all. We knew many of the participants and a number of them bought the FCD's that were offered.

We both felt that we did not experience the intangible comfortable feeling we get when we board a HAL ship so we passed on the FCD'S. Now the Queen Mary2 tour tomorrow just might make converts out of us. Who knows?

After three cruises on HAL (and two on other lines), my Dad and I took two cruises on the Regatta. The impressions you got on your tour match our impressions after spending about 25 days onboard.

I cannont tell you the number of jokes we've made about the bathrooms. We tried the MDR one time and found the noise level uncomfortable. Most of our meals were in the equivalent to the Lido on the back deck where it was quiet. Re the intangible comfortable feel ... we did get that feel from some of the crew on each cruise, but it wasn't an overall feeling from all of the crew. Re the Message Boards ... no message board is as friendly as the HAL message board.

Thank you, Randy.

I was thinking I was the only one who does not enjoy working (some) of the FCC's on the ships. It rarely works well for me.

They earn their living doing what they do but they don't always understand we are spending our earnings while on our vacation and don't care to do their whole concept of how the interaction is going to proceed. I've been told some fairly outrageous things and have 'overheard' them give downright incorrect information to others. I KNOW they are wrong but it isn't for me to correct them in front of their 'client'. It leaves me feeling very badly knowing those folks depended upon the information the 'expert' just told them.

JMO......

I guess the biggest benefit was or is the reduced deposit aspect of using the FCC. That has always been a mixed benefit to us as we've always felt we were going to pay the full fare sooner or later and the deposits aren't all that onerous to us but understand it is or can be a big benefit for some. I think there are, or sometimes are, some small OBC's but my recollection is they're not that significant but again I guess even $25/$50/$100 is better than nothing.

Anyhow, we gave it a try or more correctly tried to give the FCC our business a couple of times. The first instance the FCC was busy most of her time at the desk and very nicely asked if she could set up an appointment with us. Sounded great and we set a time to get together. She didn't show for the appointment that I saw her write down with our names and cabin number. OK...stuff happens so we see her at her desk the next day, which was the last day of the cruise, and all she said was that she was too busy to see us. The second was when the FCC set up a special time in the Neptune Lounge. She did show up but apparently had friends on the cruise and they all gathered around the table in the NL and talked about everything but cruises. Finally asked her, when she seemed to be running out of chit chat, about future cruises. She handed us the brochure and said she'd run out of time and had to leave. That was the last time we considered working with an FCC. :(

We are just off the Eurodam (amazing cruise apart from check in). We booked our future cruise letter on Friday morning - no mention was made of the changes to conditions. We found this out later in the day - as did other members of our CC group.

As we had only paid the $100 deposit, we were worried about how this would affect our next booking as we normally take longer cruises. The FCC has assured us we will be able to pay the increased deposit when we book our next cruise. He also said that those holding an earlier generic letter would have to pay the increased deposit if the booked a cruise longer than 10 days.

The FCC also said he had spent the day dealing with irate cruisers.

So confusion reigns.

so, if I am reading your post correctly - it sounds like the old FCD's will not be grandfathered??? Since I don't trust what a lot of FCC's say at times, it'll be good when the program is formally announced and we can figure it all out.

HAL would have been smart to send out an email announcing all this so that people would not have been taken aback - I can certainly understand why there would be irate cruisers on the sailing. I feel for the FCC.

I find it very odd that apparently the non-expired outstanding future deposits purchased before the rollout of the change might not be grandfathered ... and perhaps people will be expected to pay an additional deposit for their cruise. It makes it seem that there were serious problems with the old program ... or that HAL now is in a serious situation of having to grub for dollars.

I understand that Princess recently changed their program ... and all who were holding future deposits were grandfathered in for the original terms. I wonder what gives with HAL.

Archived