To use spinner luggage or Not use it?

Angiet75

I find them definitely easier to move with, especially since you can roll them ahead of you down a narrow gap or aisle. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't stand still on even a very mild decline, so if the floor isn't level they will roll away if you don't hold them. Not a big deal, but it still catches me by surprise some times.

You don't really "need" them, as long as your existing luggage serves; but the next time you buy luggage, you should certainly consider it -- so much easier to roll along -- especially down an airplane aisle.

That's my plan...as soon as my existing luggage dies I will upgrade to the spinner luggage.

The extra wheels add about an extra pound of weight.

You need to decide if it is worth it to you.

Saw a great 22" carryon bag an an airport. The two wheels were on the short (8") side of the bottom.

All of the newest luggage we have purchased have the spinner wheels. It is definately easier if you have multiple pieces of luggage you are moving. It has also been good for my Mom who has mobility issues. Much easier for her to move (when she is traveling on her own).

All of the newest luggage we have purchased have the spinner wheels. It is definately easier if you have multiple pieces of luggage you are moving. It has also been good for my Mom who has mobility issues. Much easier for her to move (when she is traveling on her own).

Spinners are great on smooth flat surfaces. Not so great if there are cracks or on cobblestones etc. I don't like them on high loft carpeting. I do not like clamshells (half on one side half on the other) because very hard to open and close. To add just one thing or to grab a sweater out and the whole thing tends to spill out. I think the TSA messes up the clamshell more too so I end up with everything in separate plastic bags. Hard to put a clamshell open on a luggage stand and I don't like dirty luggage on the bed where I will sleep in a few hours.

For carry on I love my Olympia Sport rolling tote bag. Zipper at the top. 2 largeish wheels and a wobbly handle but still useable. It is true that it is known to tip forward but I know that weight in the bottom towards the handle takes care of that. If the bag can't be rolled due to crowds or rough path the strap handles are long enough to put over shoulder for carrying. I can do a weekend out of this bag. I own at least 5 different bags and husband even has a black one for his carryon (camera bag fits in the bottom then extra shoes then spare clothes then small tote bag with reading material jacket food drink etc for in plane seat and jacket in top. Placed in overhead bin with handle out very easily fits. Best this great piece online or at T.J. Maxx is often priced at $20 -$30.

Also watch the weight of any suitcase. Weight it yourself to be sure. My rolling tote is less than 4 pounds, my duffle bag is 5 pounds (rolling) and my polycarbonate spinner (24 inch ) is 7 pounds and my regular cloth suitcase (25 inch) with zippered pockets and dividers is a whopping 12 pounds empty. Lightweight luggage is a really flexible wording:rolleyes:

Almost always go with the rolling tote and the rolling medium large duffle bag. I want the main suitcase UNDER 42 pounds for use in metric (20 KG) and because the 50 pound bag makes my shoulder and back hurt.

Thank you all for your input. I do need new luggage ( thanks to my recent trio to Colrado and the baggage handler and my other cruise for my big case torn in 2 spots) Saw some great spinner ampsonite at Marshalls. 69.99 red tag for a 28 inch and 59.00 for a 21 inch that matched. may go back and get them. Thanks all.

I would stress that you want good quality spinners, so make sure you test them before you buy them. See how they work both forward, backward and sideways. We had one cheap bag and three nicer bags, the cheap one was often a struggle on carpet tiled areas.

Thank you all for your input. I do need new luggage ( thanks to my recent trio to Colrado and the baggage handler and my other cruise for my big case torn in 2 spots) Saw some great spinner ampsonite at Marshalls. 69.99 red tag for a 28 inch and 59.00 for a 21 inch that matched. may go back and get them. Thanks all.

I would take a tape measure and make sure the 28 incher will not be 'oversized' by the airlines. I bought a 25 inch just to be sure that even in Europe I could meet the size restrictions (including handles and wheels).

I had a spinner suitcase for about 2 trips until the airline knocked one of the wheels off. I replaced it with a regular rolling suitcase. It was great while standing in line at the airline check-in. You could scoot it forward little by little. Otherwise I didn't find it to be that much of an advantage, and it was heavier.

My wife and I have Samsonite luggage, same size, same model...BUT my wife has the newer spinner and I have the older 2 wheels. She loves the spinner but it is a bit smaller inside do to the extra wheels. Maybe this is just true for all make/model luggage and not true for all spinner luggage? Just something to thing about.

I *had* a 4 wheel 28" Heys spinner upright suitcase.... It went on a plane.... 6 hrs later I had a 3 wheel 28" upright...

Awesome to move around with 4 wheels... Not so much with 3!

I'm back to the good ole 2 rollerblade style wheeled suitcases... Much sturdier!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

We have a large Tripp from Debenhams with spinning wheels and I have to say it is a total NIGHTMARE. As Bowie meme said, it's fine if you're walking on a smooth, flat surface but for example on a recent trip to Paris, the case kept toppling as we were walking to the station as there were various cracks in the pavement and a cobbled surface. Even using pedestrian crossings was a challenge

My husband refuses to use it any more and I add various attachments to make it easier to move when it's full of clothes for a cruise :). Am hoping Father Christmas will be kind to me and bring me new luggage before we cruise again, so I'll follow this thread for hints so I know what to write in the letter I send to him :D

Wait a while and get one of those bags that move via bluetooth using your smartphone. The smartphone acts like a remote control and sends a signal to the bag to follow you through the airport. Just read about it in the UK Daily Mail.

Archived