Live from the Freedom of the Seas - October 7, 2012

Daghis

We just got back from St. Maarten. We had a good time watching the planes land and take off at Maho Beach, then lunch and some brief shopping in Philipsburg.

It did rain briefly at Maho Beach. Fortunately, we had brought umbrellas, just in case. :)

Tonight is the Platinum/Emerald Crown & Anchor event. It's interesting that they broke it up so that there's not a single "High Tier" event.

The next couple days are at sea, and I have little planned... just the way I like it!

Thanks for posting.

Eagerly waiting the second leg of your B2b, we love the Western better.

So Marc, how is the scavenger hunt going???

Everyone but me figure out the "Y"

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

My second half of my semi-B2B is on the Monarch of the Seas after we return. We're not doing the Western Caribbean on this trip.

As far as the Y goes, think of a nightclub.

I got to spend some nice time in the Champagne Bar this morning while knitting and enjoying a few breakfast pastries from Café Promenade.

Then it was time for lunch in the Windjammer.

Later on, I tried the slot tournament but failed to qualify. Of note, though, my friend who's traveling with me is currently in the lead for the tournament!

Tonight is Portofino with our group. I'm looking forward to the twin lobster tails again. :)

No, Royal Caribbean is putting us up at the Doubletree Hilton by the airport.

Hi Marc

Would be interested in your thoughts on the DoubleTree as that is where RCI have put us before we sail on Freedom in 8 days time...

Loving all of this review as it's bringing our cruise closer to us!!

Thanks for taking the time to do all this :)

Heard from some friends your Saturday was rather windy and ship rocking. This information is comming from a first time cruiser. Would like to hear your comments.

Tim

It was definitely rocking more than I was expecting. There was some evidence of seasickness spotted around the ship. It wasn't very bad, but enough to make it a significant challenge to walk a straight line.

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to post more. The lesson I took from that was that it wasn't wise to try and do a live thread when traveling with a group of friends. One's time gets taken up very easily that way.

Portofino was very good, as expected as well. We all enjoyed it and the experience was wonderful. They did discontinue the twin lobster tail menu option, though, and that was a slight disappointment as I was looking forward to it.

Graham's comedy show was excellent as always. Most of his routine was the same as last time (and his DVDs), but it was still good. My friends really enjoyed it.

Disembarkation generally went smoothly, but our bags didn't arrive with the rest that were similarly tagged with #10. They did show up mysteriously about 30-40 minutes later while the #22 tags were going around the conveyor belt.

Customs/immigration was weird. The guy took my customs form and handed my passport back time... unopened! He didn't even check my identification. Very strange.

We waited about 20 minutes for the Avis shuttle and then got our rental car. That went smoothly and we were on our way to Kennedy Space Center where we spent the day.

After that, we had dinner and did laundry in preparation for tomorrow's cruise.

All in all, it was a great cruise, made even more special by the presence of my friends. We're even planning our next cruise together! I'm looking forward to it!

We are just off FOS today also. Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on the gentleman who warranted the Alpha, Alpha, Alpha call on the St. Thomas day?

We were in the main dining room when the ambulances were there. We were told that they were doing CPR on someone, but that it ultimately wasn't successful. :(

He was not onboard. He was an older gentleman and had what appeared to be a heart attack while in line to return to the ship at the aft entrance. We were on deck 8 starboard hump cabins and it was all going on below us as we watched. We looked out after hearing the Alpha call and the commotion on the pier. Not sure if he was in a wheel chair when it happened or if a chair was brought to the scene. He was on the pier with several working on him including at least 2 shocks to the heart and about 25 minutes of CPR. Finally, he was loaded into an ambulance that did not rush away. Clearly it seemed he didn't make it.

He was not onboard. He was an older gentleman and had what appeared to be a heart attack while in line to return to the ship at the aft entrance. We were on deck 8 starboard hump cabins and it was all going on below us as we watched. We looked out after hearing the Alpha call and the commotion on the pier. Not sure if he was in a wheel chair when it happened or if a chair was brought to the scene. He was on the pier with several working on him including at least 2 shocks to the heart and about 25 minutes of CPR. Finally, he was loaded into an ambulance that did not rush away. Clearly it seemed he didn't make it.

How sad!!!

In case you haven't figured it out, look at the sign for The Crypt.

WHEWWWWWWWW!

Now I can sleep tonight.

No really.

Never figured it out.

Never went in the crypt:(

Guess I would have been a loser on your sailing as far as the scavenger hunt went.

Thanks for remembering to post.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

Hey aren't you still cruising?????

Where???

So Daghis, can you confirm that formal nights were Tuesday and Friday? Those on my roll call want to know, even though we are missing CoCo Cay for Nassau:( I suspect the formal nights are as usual only on sea days!??

I was on the same cruise. Formal nights were Monday and Friday. If you're looking for the best night to eat at a specialty restaurant I would suggest Thursday -- it had the least amount of items on the menu that interested me. (still loved ever MDR meal, btw).

Archived