Flagship of the fleet?

chita

Why two flagships? :confused:

Because HAL had two flags!!!!:rolleyes:

The real reason is because when ROTTERDAM (no. 6) came into service at the end of 1997 she was taking over the honourary title from from the old ROTTERDAM (no. 5). Then HAL decided to build a sistership and she came into service as the AMSTERDAM so they became known as the 'Flagship Class' and so HAL, in their wisdom, decided that two flagships were better than one. It also meant that that the ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM could alternate takjing World Cruises. That was the basic idea anyway.

Stephen

The real reason is because when ROTTERDAM (no. 6) came into service at the end of 1997 she was taking over the honourary title from from the old ROTTERDAM (no. 5). Then HAL decided to build a sistership and she came into service as the AMSTERDAM so they became known as the 'Flagship Class' and so HAL, in their wisdom, decided that two flagships were better than one. It also meant that that the ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM could alternate takjing World Cruises. That was the basic idea anyway.

Stephen

Thanks for the information.

Along with KK, thanks for the information, I didn't realize there could be two flag ships. I knew when the Rotterdam came out she was considered Hal's flagship but then when the Amsterdam came out I thought it took over being the flagship.

Melodie,

Be careful. If you cannot answer questions like the above you will get stripped of one Mariner Star!:eek:

Stephen

Stephen

Thank you for the enlightenment, Stephen. Always nice to know this kind of stuff about HAL. Fondly recall meeting you with my late husband in the Ocean Bar on Rotterdam V while at Sea out of Vancouver on 15 October 1995. You very kindly autographed our copy of GRANDE DAME: Holland Americal Line and the S.S. ROTTERDAM along with Captain Edward G. Van Zaane. Very happy memories.:D

Thank you for the enlightenment, Stephen. Always nice to know this kind of stuff about HAL. Fondly recall meeting you with my late husband in the Ocean Bar on Rotterdam V while at Sea out of Vancouver on 15 October 1995. You very kindly autographed our copy of GRANDE DAME: Holland Americal Line and the S.S. ROTTERDAM along with Captain Edward G. Van Zaane. Very happy memories.:D

Gail,

Ah! The Grand South Pacific! What a great cruise that was and you are right... very happy memories.

The old ROTTERDAM really was the best and HAL in thoser days was in top form. Cruising has changed so much since then and I'm not convinced it has changed for the better. Back then we didn't need any As You Wish or Lido dining and we had Formal, informal and casual dress codes. We didn't have thee Spa or lanai cabins... heck... not a balcony in sight ! But the atmosphere was better and I think we had more fun and HAL sure made money in the bars!

I am sorry to hear that you have lost your husband.

Stephen

Why two flagships? :confused:

Stephen

Stephen, thank you for the explanation! :) (And there was no need for you to use the 'sarcastic' emoticon)! :mad:

The old ROTTERDAM really was the best and HAL in thoser days was in top form. Cruising has changed so much since then and I'm not convinced it has changed for the better. Back then we didn't need any As You Wish or Lido dining and we had Formal, informal and casual dress codes. We didn't have thee Spa or lanai cabins... heck... not a balcony in sight ! But the atmosphere was better and I think we had more fun and HAL sure made money in the bars!

I couldn't agree with you more. Sailed dozens of cruises on the old ROTTERDAM. You are so right---we didn't have (or need) As You Wish or Lido dining, or even room service back in the 70s-80s. No spa, lanai or balconies. No early boarding, guests allowed on board, great bon voyage parties. Bands playing in every lounge during embarkation. Bands playing Anchors Aweigh outside on deck as the ship slowly pulled away from the dock. Weekly runs to Bermuda from NY. Great Captain's Cocktail parties on first formal night, as well as, great pictures with the captain entering the Queens Lounge for those parties.

You are so right the atomsphere was so much better, the bars packed every night. Loved that Tropic Bar---some great entertainment there many nights particularly during Jazz cruises when many of the guest musicians would jam together until the very wee hours of the morning. Times certainly have changed.

Ah! The Grand South Pacific! What a great cruise that was and you are right... very happy memories.

Stephen, I couldn't agree with you more. That was one fine cruise, and my first taste of a longer cruise. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Back then people expected to get out there, and mix & mingle. Every night was a social occasion, with invitations to private parties---hosted by the passengers---a delightful change of pace.

It would be nice to be able to do that again, if only just once.

I couldn't agree with you more. Sailed dozens of cruises on the old ROTTERDAM. You are so right---we didn't have (or need) As You Wish or Lido dining, or even room service back in the 70s-80s. No spa, lanai or balconies. No early boarding, guests allowed on board, great bon voyage parties. Bands playing in every lounge during embarkation. Bands playing Anchors Aweigh outside on deck as the ship slowly pulled away from the dock. Weekly runs to Bermuda from NY. Great Captain's Cocktail parties on first formal night, as well as, great pictures with the captain entering the Queens Lounge for those parties.

You are so right the atomsphere was so much better, the bars packed every night. Loved that Tropic Bar---some great entertainment there many nights particularly during Jazz cruises when many of the guest musicians would jam together until the very wee hours of the morning. Times certainly have changed.

Oh Boy, you really brought back the memories. I can still see us pulling away from Canada Place in Vancouver with the band on deck playing Anchors Away. Loved that Tropic Bar too along with Frank on the Piano.

Loved the 3 different dress codes and that beautiful, magical double main staircase. There was nothing not to love on the SS Rotterdam V. :D

Loved that Tropic Bar too along with Frank on the Piano.

Frank Gusto, the best ever. How I miss him whenever I enter a Piano Bar.

I still have a fistfull of his "funny money". Remember how he would ask if we could request a song he didn't know, he would give $1000? Got a few that way, which was a surprise as he knew 'em all. Got a lot more by knowing the names of obscure songs he did play.

Frank Gusto, the best ever. How I miss him whenever I enter a Piano Bar.

I still have a fistfull of his "funny money". Remember how he would ask if we could request a song he didn't know, he would give $1000? Got a few that way, which was a surprise as he knew 'em all. Got a lot more by knowing the names of obscure songs he did play.

Almost got him on a silly song my mother taught me that she learned as a young girl with the Canadian Girl Guides. It is called "A Poor Old Slave"- I sang the first line, he chimed in then another female pax chimed in and sang along with me. Great fun. I too think of him whenever I enter a Piano Bar.

What does this actually mean? I know it's the Rotterdam,but why?

In passenger fleet - usually the largest, most advanced ship.

A leader.

The current HAL flagship is the Nieuw Amsterdam.

HAL Flagship class - "Signature Class" (the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam).

A leader.

That is not the way HAL sees it! They describe both the Amsterdam and Rotterdam as the flags ships. Their ships... they can decide which one(s) to call the flagship.

A leader.

Please see post #5:cool:

Archived