Flagship of the fleet?

chita

Stephen, I couldn't agree with you more. That was one fine cruise, and my first taste of a longer cruise. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Back then people expected to get out there, and mix & mingle. Every night was a social occasion, with invitations to private parties---hosted by the passengers---a delightful change of pace.

It would be nice to be able to do that again, if only just once.

It sounds like someone needs to charter a cruise with that atmosphere. There are so many people, young and old, who would love to experience the cruising that many have described, without the class distinctions of Cunard. Cherie

The current HAL flagship is the Nieuw Amsterdam.

That is absolutely, positively, totally not correct. The HAL flagships are the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam.

The Amsterdam is not at all the same ship as the Nieuw Amsterdam.

That is not the way HAL sees it! They describe both the Amsterdam and Rotterdam as the flags ships. Their ships... they can decide which one(s) to call the flagship.

Would love to see a fresh link to where HAL describes these older vessels as the flagships.

However, "Nieuw Amsterdam" is a symbol of Holland America History and Glory. It's a synonim of HAL. The most famous Nieuw Amsterdam (1938) is on the cruise line logo.

The Nieuw Amsterdam (2010) is the newest, largest and the most sophisticated ship in the HAL fleet.

She proudly bears the name of the most famous HAL flagship, has it's bell on board.

There are no doubt what ship is a flagship whatever curious stories are related to other ships.

Would love to see a fresh link to where HAL describes these older vessels as the flagships.

However, "Nieuw Amsterdam" is a symbol of Holland America History and Glory. It's a synonim of HAL. The most famous Nieuw Amsterdam (1938) is on the cruise line logo.

The Nieuw Amsterdam (2010) is the newest, largest and the most sophisticated ship in the HAL fleet.

She proudly bears the name of the most famous HAL flagship, has it's bell on board.

There are no doubt what ship is a flagship whatever curious stories are related to other ships.

I would like to see a fresh link to provide the informaion that the NA is the flagship. Since you seem to think you are much more knowledgeable than the rest of the posters it s/b easy for you to provide it.

I would like to see a fresh link to provide the informaion that the NA is the flagship. Since you seem to think you are much more knowledgeable than the rest of the posters it s/b easy for you to provide it.

You have just quoted the information needed to know what ship is a flagship.

Well known facts.

No "special" knowledge required.:)

You are 100% correct as far as the current HAL logo (1938 Nieuw Amaterdam III + Henry Hudson's Halve Maen) and your description of the current Nieuw Amsterdam IV (newest, largest and most sophisticated)

Your are dead wrong about your assertion that Nieuw Amsterdam IV is HAL's current flagship! HAL, since September 2000, has designated Rotterdam VI and Amsterdam III as co-flagships of the line. Those designations did not change when Nieuw Amsterdam IV joined the fleet in July 2010

The gentleman whose paintings grace all fifteen of HAL's current ships, and who has an in-depth knowledge of those same ships, stated so in post #5

You are 100% correct as far as the current HAL logo (1938 Nieuw Amaterdam III + Henry Hudson's Halve Maen) and your description of the current Nieuw Amsterdam IV (newest, largest and most sophisticated)

Your are dead wrong about your assertion that Nieuw Amsterdam IV is HAL's current flagship! HAL, since September 2000, has designated Rotterdam VI and Amsterdam III as co-flagships of the line. Those designations did not change when Nieuw Amsterdam IV joined the fleet in July 2010

The gentleman whose paintings grace all fifteen of HAL's current ships, and who has an in-depth knowledge of those same ships, stated so in post #5

The Niew Amsterdam has in fact (technically, physically, historically) taken the position of the HAL flagship.

All the rest is very interesting to hear but it does not change the fact.

Love the paintings I saw on HAL ships! Thank you for letting me know.

But why "knowledge from the depth"?

Is it a corporate secret?

Why not have a few words written on a website, in a brochure?..

Well, from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Rotterdam

"Rotterdam is one of two flagships..".

In doing the internet search I did find several articles proclaiming N. Amsterdam to be the Flagship, by various travel writers. However, first, I would think HAL gets to determine it's flagship, not some travel writer.

Second, there were many references to Rotterdam and Amsterdam being the flagship in the late 2000s, then one mention of Eurodam being the flagship, then suddenly N. Amsterdam is the flagship. Totally skipping the whole Vista class, this breeaking the rule of newest ship being the flagship..

So, by some tradition, and certainly according to some travel writers, N. Amsterdam could be the flagship. BUT...., HAL does believe and state that Rotterdam and Amsterdam are the co-flagships.

Cruisetrail, nothing from HAL supports your position. So, a double negative- you claim nothing from HAL supports our position, except many, many many references from us who have heard and seen HAL state Rotterdam and Amsterdam are the flagships.

You can repeat it as often as you want, but it won't make it true. I have not seen HAL mention the Nieuw Amsterdam as a flagship.

In April 2009 this news release mentions flag ship Amsterdam - by your reasoning it should have been the Eurodam: http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=725

Because HAL had two flags!!!!:rolleyes:

The real reason is because when ROTTERDAM (no. 6) came into service at the end of 1997 she was taking over the honourary title from from the old ROTTERDAM (no. 5). Then HAL decided to build a sistership and she came into service as the AMSTERDAM so they became known as the 'Flagship Class' and so HAL, in their wisdom, decided that two flagships were better than one. It also meant that that the ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM could alternate takjing World Cruises. That was the basic idea anyway.

Stephen

For a good number of years now, the AMSTERDAM is the ship of the World Cruises.

The Niew Amsterdam has in fact (technically, physically, historically) taken the position of the HAL flagship.

A few words on the Holland America Blog (the 1st one in May 2012; the 2nd one last month)

#1 - http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2012/05/08/hals-rotterdam-welcomed-to-new-homeport-in-namesake-city/

With the hoisting of the city’s flag, Lord Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb welcomed Holland America Line’s flagship ms Rotterdam and its crew to their new homeport in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on May 2

#2 - http://www.hollandamericablog.com/category/ms-amsterdam/page/2/

Holland America Line’s flagship the ms Amsterdam set sail from Seattle Friday, Sept. 21, 2012, for her 75-day Grand Asia and Australia Voyage

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

The old Rotterdam was truly a flagship, loved that ship ,sailed her in 1977 and 1978 out of NYC and have cruised every year since. Most lines do not have a true flag ship in my opinion, not like the old days. Now cruise ships have 3 or 4 sister ships almost identical.

I don't own facts.

I source them from cruise ships.

The indisputable fact is that HAL has designiated the Amsterdam and Rotterdam as the company's flagships. Whatever you have to say about is it merely your opinion. ;)

Hello "John"

I indeed like you regularly change of your avatars – but your latest one / long time ago…..

Take care.

Happy cruising

G E R D

Gerd: I too like the way John changes his avatars but his current one is indeed a very old photograph. I wonder what he looks like today. Enjoy your cruise to the Canary Islands later this year. Can't believe how they have changed. First visited them from Canada in 1978. :)

Gerd: I too like the way John changes his avatars but his current one is indeed a very old photograph. I wonder what he looks like today. Enjoy your cruise to the Canary Islands later this year. Can't believe how they have changed. First visited them from Canada in 1978. :)

Should have read Enjoy your cruise to Canary Islands in 2013. :o

Archived