HAL Before 1980

geocruiser

Hi,

I have the same post going on Princess and thought I would try it here too.

My first cruise was in the mid 1970’s on Home Line’s Oceanic. Loved that ship! I left out NYC and if I recall I did see a HAL ship at the pier there too (black hull). I remember what it was like to sail on Oceanic back then. I would love to know from people who sailed on HAL before 1980 what it was like and how it has changed on HAL.

Before 1980? My grandfather wrote of crossing the Atlantic on the Noordam in 1902. She was a liner, not a cruise ship, and still had steerage passengers. A toast was offered to Queen Wilhemina's mother on her birthday.

My DH came to the US Cunard Line back in the 1930's. Got real seasick.

But the cruise ship were different when I started sailing. Only first and second sitting for meals. First sitting breakfast was at 6AM. Nights were more formal then as I recall. Ships were smaller too!

Perhaps one of the most major differences has been the change in the nationality of the crew. My first cruise was in 1970 and the personnel were all European, mostly Dutch. My second cruise was in 1971. That was the time when the Indonesians and Filipinos began to be introduced on the ships. On a July, 1971 cruise aboard Rotterdam V, several of us witnessed a confrontation on the bow as we were leaving a port between some of the European crew and some of those who were due to replace them. I turned around to look at the Bridge to see if anyone there was aware of what was going on. I saw Captain Lagaay standing at the windows. Very shortly thereafter, an officer appeared and sent everybody inside the vessel.

Our Dutch cabin stewardess acknowleded that some tension did exist between the newcomers and those who were going to loose their jobs.

Too bad because the European staff members provided excellent service. But, I think for us guests, the change is a wash since, as many of us know, our Indonesian and Filipino stewards also are providing excellent service as well.

I had only the one HAL cruise before I returned to stay in '92. That was my first-ever cruise, on the Statendam in '78.

I remember being so excited. There were sail-away parties aboard, as I remember when visitors were directed to disembark. There was confetti and streamers sent back to those ashore who were waving good-bye. Those days are sure gone! No one dares litter like that now!

Every night people dressed for dinner, went out for cocktails and dancing pre-meal, then gathered in the dining room. There was no where else to go, so the room was full---except for that one night when the seas were high.

The entertainers were names we all knew from TV, big names at the time, so that was exciting, too.

Passengers were totally interested in meeting others, sitting and chatting for a while while maybe sharing a drink. No one stayed in little groups. It was a different time.

Then back to my tiny cabin, with the bunk beds that had a thin mattress on a wooden pallet, and were so narrow it was dangerous to roll over in my sleep.

I sailed the Rotterdam in 1977 and 1978 out of NYC, it was a elegant ship, with great service, very similar in size to the Oceanic . Also did Statendam in 1980 but that was nothing special and after that I did not sail HAL for almost 30 years. No ships had balcony back then and I normally had a very small inside room ( traveled alone ). No credit cards, no open sitting and you dressed in jacket and tie every night.

rkacruiser

On Oceanic it was mainly Italian crew. They were very charming.

RuthC,

I remember all the confetti and streamers , it was such fun! People really did get to know each other. I can remember when we went to Nassau, they sent note in the daily paper that women should were sun dresses and not shorts. Show lounges have changed since then. It was a lounge on Oceanic, with cocktails tables and chairs. Not good for seeing the show. There was no stage just a dance floor. The midnight buffets were really something too. I recall very few deck chairs by the pool. They gave you a mat to sun bathe on! One of the things I like about modern HAL is I can get ice tea, coffee, hot tea any time I want it for no charge. Back then you could only get it with a meal. We were giving a pitcher of water in our cabin. The one thing I really loved was the small ship

George C,

I bet it was Rotterdam that was docked next to Oceanic.

We sailed on the Rotterdam for our honeymoon in 1964. As has been mentioned on this board she was an ocean liner rather than a cruise ship. She sailed with two classes when crossing the Atlantic but only one when cruising. I don't recall that there were any verandahs at all.

Had a Bon Voyage party on the ship in those more carefree days. Everything was much more formal than it is now. Pool was amazingly small (in retrospect). Not as much entertainment as nowadays.

As you may know, she is now a hotel in Rotterdam.

Another thing that would be done on Homes LInes (Oceanic) is when they got your bed ready for the night, your night gown/ PJs would be placed on the bed in the shape of a body. Most times just pinched in at the waist. We would hid our night gowns, but they would all ways find them and put them out on the bed at night!

Did HAL do this too!

Another thing that would be done on Homes LInes (Oceanic) is when they got your bed ready for the night, your night gown/ PJs would be placed on the bed in the shape of a body. Most times just pinched in at the waist. We would hid our night gowns, but they would all ways find them and put them out on the bed at night!

Did HAL do this too!

Not that I recall, and I think that's something I would remember.

I would be livid if my steward went into my closets for any reason. Were he to go in to touch my nightgown, take it out, and place it on the bed---I would be beyond reason about that.

Not that I recall, and I think that's something I would remember.

I would be livid if my steward went into my closets for any reason. Were he to go in to touch my nightgown, take it out, and place it on the bed---I would be beyond reason about that.

Ruth,

I feel the same way about it now. Back then I just knew it was part of the cruise. Believe me we would hid them, even in our suit cases. The steward would all way find them.

I did a search on it and found that it was also done on Sitmar

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23380329&highlight=night+gown#post23380329 Post 112

Hi,

I have the same post going on Princess and thought I would try it here too.

My first cruise was in the mid 1970’s on Home Line’s Oceanic. Loved that ship! I left out NYC and if I recall I did see a HAL ship at the pier there too (black hull). I remember what it was like to sail on Oceanic back then. I would love to know from people who sailed on HAL before 1980 what it was like and how it has changed on HAL.

Maria - that was my first cruise too:D:D how conincidental:D

My first HAL cruise was couple of years later - on the old Nieuw Amsterdam - I never forgot that cruise and 10 years later came back to HAL - I remember the oodles of flowers all over the ship - the flambees at the table - oops I better not go on - reminding people of what has gone by is only sad:D

I had only the one HAL cruise before I returned to stay in '92. That was my first-ever cruise, on the Statendam in '78.

I remember being so excited. There were sail-away parties aboard, as I remember when visitors were directed to disembark. There was confetti and streamers sent back to those ashore who were waving good-bye. Those days are sure gone! No one dares litter like that now!

Every night people dressed for dinner, went out for cocktails and dancing pre-meal, then gathered in the dining room. There was no where else to go, so the room was full---except for that one night when the seas were high.

The entertainers were names we all knew from TV, big names at the time, so that was exciting, too.

Passengers were totally interested in meeting others, sitting and chatting for a while while maybe sharing a drink. No one stayed in little groups. It was a different time.

Then back to my tiny cabin, with the bunk beds that had a thin mattress on a wooden pallet, and were so narrow it was dangerous to roll over in my sleep.

Our first cruise was Statendam to Bermuda in the late 70s. My experience was a lot like yours, but I don't remember the beds being like that. We did have bunk beds in an inside cabin, but I don't remember thin mattresses.

I do remember the nightgown "sculptures." I think that was on HAL. Could have been NCL many years ago. I tend to leave my nightgown under the pillow, and it was easy to find. As someone else said, it's a bit creepy to me now, but at the time, it was funny. However, the idea that they would go searching for it is definitely creepy!

I remember being so glad to be on Statendam and not Rotterdam, as she was too large to get into Hamilton Harbor. It was a long tender ride from her anchorage.

I remember being docked in Hamilton next to a Home lines ship a couple of times. One time, Italy had just won a big soccer match, maybe the World Cup. They celebrated all night long!

Interesting thread. Fun to read. I hope it continues.

We began cruising way back in the mid 1960's, but did not come to HAL until the mid

80's.

When we started cruising, I do remember the streamers and confetti at the dock at departure. The early ships also required you to step over the door thresholds in the hallways. Midnight buffets were extravaganzas. Drink prices on board were less than shore-side.

Shaking hands with the Master was routine. I have a stack of pictures from those reception lines.....a practice gone forever.

We sailed on the Rotterdam in 1971 and 72. In 1973 we sailed the Statendam but then we didn't sail HAL again until the 1990's. The 1971 cruise wasn't our first. The transition to Indonesian crew was very recent and there were still Dutch bartenders. My parents came to see us off and were able to board the ship and stay until the "all visitors ashore". We had an inside with upper and lower berths but loved every minute of it. My wife and I still talk about the amazing chocolate mousse we had one evening...never to be duplicated again on any of our cruises, HAL or otherwise. We loved the great movie theater, better than anything you'd find on land these days, that showed major pictures...I remember seeing Fiddler on the Roof. Great times. As Ruth related...coat and tie every night including the first night of the trip, first and second seating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but they had the Lido which was a first for us on any ship. That cruise still ranks as one of our best ever.

Our family came to Canada from Holland on one of HAL's ships, De Grote Beer, in 1959. Thousands of other Dutch emigrants came to North America on HAL ships in the 50's. The ships were not cruise ships, but served only to transport emigrants. I have heard some horror stories, but to us (parents and 5 children aged 6 - 13) it was fantastic! We had a great time, and made good friends during the 10 day crossing. We had an inside cabin with 4 sets of bunk beds, one bed for each of us, and one for all the suitcases. The bathrooms were down the hall. The food was great, in our opinion, and we felt spoiled and loved the experience. Our experience with HAL now is quite different, but that first trip kindled a love for cruising that just won't go away.

Maria,

Back in the mid/late 1970s your choice for cruising to Bermuda from New York was either the STATENDAM or the DORIC. Both vessels sailed Saturday afternoon, arriving and docking in Hamilton on Monday morning, ... STATENDAM at No. 5/6 (where VEENDAM docked the past three years) and the DORIC was at no. 1. Both ships sailed back to New York on Thursday at 2pm.

The other choice was ROTTERDAM or OCEANIC. Both sailed on Saturday afternoon. ROTTERDAM headed for Nassau and OCEANIC headed to Bermuda.... anchoring in Grassy Bay on Monday morning... departing in late afternoon for Nassau and then back to New York. Meanwhile RTOTTERDAM did the run to Nassau and arrived in Bermuda on Thursday morning, anchoring for the day..

There were many other liners calling at Bermuda but the ships noted above were the regular weekly callers.

In 1979 I decided to book a cruise. At the time I was working at sea and sailing as Chief Officer with Denholm Ship Management Limited. At the time we were the biggest shipping company in the world, operating about 1% of the world's deadweight tonnage. Our fleet numbered almost 100 ships ranging from 10,000 banana boats up to 500,000 ton oil tankers.

Anyhow, I decided on a busman's holiday. DORIC or STATENDAM did not appeal as they were just heading to NY and then coming straight back to Bermuda. One Monday morning I sat on the balcony at my brother's house having breakfast and watched the OCEANIC sail past on her way up to teh anchorage. What I beauty I thought! I was no stranger to the ROTTERDAM.... had visited the ship many times in Bermuda in the 1960s. But OCEANIC won. I called the agent and booked a cabin for the following week. I had a standard outside on Oceanic Deck as a single and paid $1250. Joined the ship the following Monday and expected to sail to Nassau and then New York and then down to Bermuda, a 7 day cruise. Once on board I discovered that OCEANIC was not making a Bermuda cruise the following week so I was kind of worried about how I was going to get home! The purser explained that on arrival New York I would transfer to DORIC for the run back to Bermuda. Fair enough I thought, two ships in one week. All went as planned. I expected to disembark in Bermuda on the Monday morningbut the purseer told me that I could stay until Thursday provied I got off before the ship sailed for New York.

Home Lines was a great company. On a par with HAL but with Italian style compared with HAL's Dutch style. They complemented each other nicely and of course gave the passengers a good choice. My next few cruises were the old VEENDAM, DORIC, OCEANIC, ATLANTIC but then Home Lines was disbanded and that was that.

Stephen

I have no recollection of ever hearing of Holland America until late 1994 when our TA at the time booked us on the then brand new Ryndam for March 1995. We'd taken a four-day "try-it-you'll-like-it" cruise on the Carnival Fantasy and based on that experience our TA steered us to HAL. Personally my previous "cruising" experience and memory had been in the form of transportation back from England to New York on the SS America in 1952. I was 5 years old and have faint memories of those four or five days. One that sticks out is that it was the first and last time I remember getting seasick. Another was that I had to wear this harness like contraption and even then felt like a dog on a leash. It had a red tag on it with all my passenger information and I remember that I ate it. :) I also remember the steward walking through the ship playing the chimes calling us to dinner. Even as a five year old I thought that was pretty neat. Twenty three years later and I hear the chimes on the Ryndam and it was an immediate flashback. :)

Another thing is I remember being on Rotterdam and being able to board other Hal ships such as Volendam to have a drink and check out the ship while in Bermuda ( also miss those Bob Voyage parties)

Oh my, yes! I was on my second cruise, on a Cunard ship, and docked next to the Rotterdam in St. Thomas. I was bopping around in nothing more than a swimsuit and cover-up when I wandered over to the Rotterdam, and found they had been giving public tours. Sadly, the time had passed, and I mentioned to the officer standing guard how disappointed I was that I didn't know, and had missed the opportunity.

He invited me to just walk aboard! Warned me to be off before they sailed, and sent me up to have the most fabulous afternoon!

I met a passenger who was friendly, and who showed me around the ship, then took me to a lounge (think it may have been the Ocean Bar) for a drink. Introduced me to his friends as his granddaughter, who was sailing on another ship.

What a fun memory! :)

Another thing is I remember being on Rotterdam and being able to board other Hal ships such as Volendam to have a drink and check out the ship while in Bermuda ( also miss those Bob Voyage parties)

Oh my, yes! I was on my second cruise, on a Cunard ship, and docked next to the Rotterdam in St. Thomas. I was bopping around in nothing more than a swimsuit and cover-up when I wandered over to the Rotterdam, and found they had been giving public tours. Sadly, the time had passed, and I mentioned to the officer standing guard how disappointed I was that I didn't know, and had missed the opportunity.

He invited me to just walk aboard! Warned me to be off before they sailed, and sent me up to have the most fabulous afternoon!

I met a passenger who was friendly, and who showed me around the ship, then took me to a lounge (think it may have been the Ocean Bar) for a drink. Introduced me to his friends as his granddaughter, who was sailing on another ship.

What a fun memory! :)

In March 1995 we were on the Ryndam when she docked in Nassau along side the old Westerdam. Back then you indeed were invited to visit a "sister ship" if docked in the same port. We were new to HAL so very interested and went over to the Westerdam for lunch that day. It was pretty quite as the Ryndam was just a few months into her inaugural year so many of the Westerdam passengers were on her. :) Interestingly I don't remember ever being in a port again with another HAL ship until we were on the Volendam in 2006 and tied up across from the then new Noordam in St Thomas. Unfortunately times had changed by then and due to security issues and procedures we were not allowed to visit the Noordam nor them visit the Volendam.

Maria,

Back in the mid/late 1970s your choice for cruising to Bermuda from New York was either the STATENDAM or the DORIC. Both vessels sailed Saturday afternoon, arriving and docking in Hamilton on Monday morning, ... STATENDAM at No. 5/6 (where VEENDAM docked the past three years) and the DORIC was at no. 1. Both ships sailed back to New York on Thursday at 2pm.

The other choice was ROTTERDAM or OCEANIC. Both sailed on Saturday afternoon. ROTTERDAM headed for Nassau and OCEANIC headed to Bermuda.... anchoring in Grassy Bay on Monday morning... departing in late afternoon for Nassau and then back to New York. Meanwhile RTOTTERDAM did the run to Nassau and arrived in Bermuda on Thursday morning, anchoring for the day..

There were many other liners calling at Bermuda but the ships noted above were the regular weekly callers.

In 1979 I decided to book a cruise. At the time I was working at sea and sailing as Chief Officer with Denholm Ship Management Limited. At the time we were the biggest shipping company in the world, operating about 1% of the world's deadweight tonnage. Our fleet numbered almost 100 ships ranging from 10,000 banana boats up to 500,000 ton oil tankers.

Anyhow, I decided on a busman's holiday. DORIC or STATENDAM did not appeal as they were just heading to NY and then coming straight back to Bermuda. One Monday morning I sat on the balcony at my brother's house having breakfast and watched the OCEANIC sail past on her way up to teh anchorage. What I beauty I thought! I was no stranger to the ROTTERDAM.... had visited the ship many times in Bermuda in the 1960s. But OCEANIC won. I called the agent and booked a cabin for the following week. I had a standard outside on Oceanic Deck as a single and paid $1250. Joined the ship the following Monday and expected to sail to Nassau and then New York and then down to Bermuda, a 7 day cruise. Once on board I discovered that OCEANIC was not making a Bermuda cruise the following week so I was kind of worried about how I was going to get home! The purser explained that on arrival New York I would transfer to DORIC for the run back to Bermuda. Fair enough I thought, two ships in one week. All went as planned. I expected to disembark in Bermuda on the Monday morningbut the purseer told me that I could stay until Thursday provied I got off before the ship sailed for New York.

Home Lines was a great company. On a par with HAL but with Italian style compared with HAL's Dutch style. They complemented each other nicely and of course gave the passengers a good choice. My next few cruises were the old VEENDAM, DORIC, OCEANIC, ATLANTIC but then Home Lines was disbanded and that was that.

Stephen

I remeber my parents taking a Cunard ship - THe Francnia - on a NYC / Bermuda run in the late 1960's. ceanic was a newer ship & sleeker than the grand Rotterdam...service on both were excellent food different but very very good(we preferred Home Lines). The onluy other line that competed was The French Line & the FRANCE...so chic & the food what we called high cuisine..tho she did not do a Bermuda run - it was a difficult choice tp pick a holiday on the FRance or on the Oceanic...we always thought the Oceanic & Homeric were more fun thanks to the Italian staff & officers....

I sailed in Oceanic, Rotterdam and others O

Archived