Our 50 Night Reflection Odyssey

C 2 C

Alright folks, here's the deal. What it sounds like is that in Athens, it was planned to be repaired, but there weren't the correct materials. So, in Miami (after the TA) it will be getting repaired. They clearly do not want panic over this when it will be getting repaired, QUICKLY, in Miami :-) Good news!!

Also to clear up a rumor there is NOT norovirus on board. That is false. Some passengers came down with some nasty colds, and they are of course being overly careful about sanitization! More good news!

Change of topic, shall we??? :-)

I do feel for Arno, and many on board, 9 sea days is just....a lot... Wow. I can tell you Rory is a little apprehensive , with his sea sickness..

Quickly meaning no dry dock needed? And thanks for returning. No panic here, just do not want to pay for air I will not be able to use. Again, thanks.

Anne

Quickly meaning no dry dock needed? And thanks for returning. No panic here, just do not want to pay for air I will not be able to use. Again, thanks.

Anne

If anything like this did stop you flying surely it would be a valid claim on your travel insurance?

Alright folks, here's the deal. What it sounds like is that in Athens, it was planned to be repaired, but there weren't the correct materials. So, in Miami (after the TA) it will be getting repaired. They clearly do not want panic over this when it will be getting repaired, QUICKLY, in Miami :-) Good news!!

Also to clear up a rumor there is NOT norovirus on board. That is false. Some passengers came down with some nasty colds, and they are of course being overly careful about sanitization! More good news!

Change of topic, shall we??? :-)

I do feel for Arno, and many on board, 9 sea days is just....a lot... Wow. I can tell you Rory is a little apprehensive , with his sea sickness..

All this is Rory Boltons fault, why because when He plays that electric guitar in the Reflection Show he takes that much power and BLOWS the fuses....:eek::cool:.

In Miami they are to install STRONGER fuses.....:rolleyes:;)

Sunday, November 18th: Barcelona

In the Spotlight:

· Master: Captain Nicholas Pagonis

· Chief Engineer: Manolis Voulgaris

· Staff Captain: Tasos Kafetzis

· Guest Relations Manager: Alex Stylianou

· Hotel Director: Damien O’Connor

· Cruise Director: Nick Weir

· Food & Beverage Manager: Mark Tomley

· Executive Chef: German Rijo

The new itinerary for our 13 night sailing includes the ports of Palma De Mallorca and Malaga Spain followed by 9 days at sea.

“As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank you for your cooperation, Celebrity Cruises will provide your stateroom with an onboard credit in the amount of $150. The credit will be applied directly to your onboard account and may be applied to any onboard purchases. Any unused portion of this will be refunded to you.”

A mystery to some of us is the fact that the distance from Palma to Malaga is given as 136 nautical miles but with a departure of 6pm on Monday, we do not arrive until 8:00am on Wednesday November 21st. One would think that we could have sailed at 10 knots and have arrived on Tuesday and have spent a day in Tenerife. There must have been some provisioning details that required us to sail so slowly and not arrive in Malaga even at a slow speed. (On Nov. 20th our speed has varied between 20 and 11Kts between 2 and 4pm)

On Monday afternoon we were given our 6 drink vouchers dated for today only. The Sky Lounge was filled beyond capacity last night and when we passed through Ensemble on the way to Blu at 6:45 there was a line up of 5 couples ahead of us. When we left at 7:30 Blu was nearly full and the line up was twice as long. A consecutive Cruisers Special Invitation scheduled an officer’s reception in the Solarium at 7:30pm for some and 7:45 for others.

Tuesday November 20th: At Sea

We arrived in Tuscan at 9:20am and, as expected, there were very few available tables. After two cups of Espresso we headed for the Cruise Critic gathering scheduled for 10pm. The first 20 minutes was taken up by the morning announcement from the bridge and translation into other languages. Over 300 CCers signed up for this sailing. Host Joe gave away some Cruise Critic items to those knowing the correct answers to Reflection trivia. I was awarded a prize for the most original answer: guessing the ship’s normal draught as being Heineken.

Today was beautiful balcony weather; temperature in the mid 60’s, seas almost as smooth as glass. The Sky Lounge started filling up a little earlier today as people scouted out table locations to meet friends. At 4:45pm a cumulative trivia started that also attracted a crowd to the lounge not associated with the “social hour”. Tonight is formal night and the lounge’s attire ran the gamut from shorts to tuxes.

Hi Arno,

Did you enjoy breakfast this morning? ;)

Posted outside the Cathedral with the bells merrily chiming

Bruce and Gail

The truth...? :(

Wednesday, November 21st: Malaga.

We started our day by breakfasting in Blu. If you arrive at about the same time as many other pax, be prepared to wait for service. We arrived at 8:45 and although we were seated next to another couple who arrived 15 minutes earlier, our orders were not taken for another half hour. Our breakfast finally arrived at 9:35 and we rushed to be able to get our espresso in Tuscan with only minutes to spare before it closed down. This occurred on a port day with many passengers already ashore. I dread a day when everyone decides to stop by for breakfast. Our first time change occurs tonight and we are planning an earlier visit to Blu tomorrow.

Malaga is an absolutely wonderful port of call. We experienced another sunny day with temperatures in the mid sixties. The walk into town is only 15 minutes along the waterfront or you could take the celebrity shuttle for a one mile ride to a drop off point for a “nominal fee” of $8.00!!! pp round trip.

When we had dinner in Blu tonight we arrived at 6:45 and service was excellent. We noticed many people around us bringing their fresh voucher drinks in for enjoyment while waiting to be served. It will be interesting to hear comments about the voucher system’s impact on dining room wine and beverage revenue, an unintended consequence of not limiting free drinks consumption to one lounge.

Our 9 day trek across the ocean started at 5:00pm tonight. It will be interesting to see the impact on various lounges as passengers seek their favourite locations to eat, drink & rest, eat, drink & read, eat, drink & sleep, and eat and play with no excursions to thin the crowd. Time to post, read and have a night cap, Bye for now.

All this is Rory Boltons fault, why because when He plays that electric guitar in the Reflection Show he takes that much power and BLOWS the fuses....:eek::cool:.

In Miami they are to install STRONGER fuses.....:rolleyes:;)

Hahahahaha!! Love it!

My parents are on this ship, doing the back to back 2 weeks previous to the two week TA, they seem to be having a great time. They did mention the mechanical situation, but alas, what can you do? Better to relax and enjoy yourself while you can. Just my opinion.

Boy, I can say that when I cruise I certainly have so much I want to do rather than sit waiting for internet and posting lengthy information for many people who are perfect strangers to me. So, I really do appreciate and value Arno's time and opinions, though I have never met him.

We've sailed Celebrity twice and LOVED it, and long ago learned that there is no such thing as a perfect cruise, though we all strive for that perfect vacation. Our next cruise will be on Celebrity and perhaps, by golly, it will be the Reflection! :)

Thursday November 22: Sea day

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends.

Just before 10 pm last night we passed the “Pillars of Hercules” and entered the Atlantic Ocean. When we awoke this morning we noticed a distinct “motion of the ocean”. We are cruising along at a leisurely 15Kts to 18Kts depending on the variable winds of 8 to 15Knts and a substantial swell that is rocking the ship from side to side. The temperature is pleasant (for Northerly types anyways) in the mid 60’s with partially sunny skies.

Today is the first of four Captain’s Club party. The division consists of Starboard early dining at 12:30 followed by late seating starboard at 2:30. Select dining can pick either seating and if the last cruise was typical, many will attend both. The Port side celebration is the day after tomorrow with a similar split according to dining time. There are nearly 2,300 Captain’s Club members on board and splitting numbers into 4 roughly even divisions, an average of almost 600 could attend a lounge that can seat 220 at a time. The number of Elites and qualified VIP suite guests now approaches 1,100. We have heard some elite grumbling about the loss of “their” lounge and “their” evening aperitifs. However when asked how they would resolve the crowding issue to the satisfaction of all members they fall back on well “we should have been told before hand.” I will be among the first to admit that the art of communication has never been in the top 100 reasons to sail with Celebrity Cruise lines. However I can probably think of 101 reasons to keep on coming back despite their reluctance to inform passengers in a timely fashion of any significant change to policy or itinerary.

Welcome to Celebrity Wi-Fi

Internet link is down. Please try again in a few minutes

They have obviously learned a lesson (we all have to do that sometimes, don't we?) and for next Saturday's Silhouette transatlantic Celebrity are doing their best and emailing guests to let them know there will be vouchers rather than an Elite Lounge. Your point about suggestions by those complaining for an alternative is one of my main issues here. There aren't any, just a feeling of being slighted. Hell hath no fury like an Elite member who doesn't feel loved!

Phil

Hell hath no fury like an Elite member who doesn't feel loved!

Phil

...... or believes in conspiracy theories about perk reduction

Glad to hear there is at least a workable solution being proposed Arno on board re the party - do you get honoured at all 4 or how do they handle that one?

I cannot believe what you post about people having the nerve to attend more than one party if they are not asked to by the Captain! But then I am beginning to never cease to be amazed by what some folks do/say/grumble about and that is not a comment confined to these boards!

Currently on the reflection has no issues getting on the wifi at all. The ship is not at all crowed unless you go to captain club events then it is madness. Over 2200 people way too many they will need to change captains club.

As for the engine issues all you need to do is ask an officer and they will tell you the problem. No need for dry dock! The ship is safe and fantastic as you would expect from celebrity. Blu is a bit busier and needs more staff however I have already given them my feedback

Friday November 23rd: At Sea west of Funchal

We are still rocking a bit as we sail at 18Kts in moderate seas with whitecaps pushed along by 13Kt winds from the south. The skies are sombre and overcast but the sun is attempting to breakthrough occasionally and raising the temperature above the mid 60`s.

Because the itch problem that I picked up on the previous voyage had turned my legs practically purple, I went to see the doctor on Monday. He diagnosed it as contact dermatitis, gave me 9 Prednisone tablets and 10 Benadryl tablets and sent me a bill for $117.80. According to the doctor there is nothing in the shower gel nor the chemical spray that could have caused the problem but there must have been some external change in my environment (can`t think of anything but the ship. I don`t use public bath tubs called whirlpools and never sit on a lounger without a new towel covering the surface.) Joanne was talking to another passenger who needed ten thyroid pills but had to pay the $111 doctor`s fee to get them. To all members of the CRS club, count your pills before you leave home and bring along a med kit.

Last night we dined at 6:00pm, finished at 6:45 and enjoyed an after dinner voucher drink to avoid the 5:00pm rush. Tuscan coffee in the morning does get busy and noisy. However people are happy with perks and complaints have died down. The only way to avoid the crowding caused by a popular program is to sail on cruises shunned by the cruise addicts.

At 3:00pm : Welcome to Celebrity Wi-Fi

Internet link is down. Please try again in a few minutes.

Glad to hear there is at least a workable solution being proposed Arno on board re the party - do you get honoured at all 4 or how do they handle that one?

We were honoured at the first one. There are two couples with over 100 cruise points and another just below. It's nice to spread the cheer around.

Hi Arno and Joanne, we were pleased to see the Reflection sailing merrily on its way past Madeira on the AIS web site early this morning (our time) .

We wondered if Joanne is keeping you up to speed on the number crunching at expresso time in the mornings, are you still up for the challenge?

Glad you are trying new ways with the voucher system, no doubt you will find one that works for you, but we know we would miss our happy hours in the elite get together.

We are slowly getting back into the old routine but having withdrawal symptoms at 5pm. Hope the Dr. fee doesn't set you back too much and the leg gets better, I would have rubbed on some whiskey sour!! Would have made me feel so much better!!

Happy and safe sailings.

Ruth and Mike

Friday November 23rd: At Sea west of Funchal

We are still rocking a bit as we sail at 18Kts in moderate seas with whitecaps pushed along by 13Kt winds from the south. The skies are sombre and overcast but the sun is attempting to breakthrough occasionally and raising the temperature above the mid 60`s.

Because the itch problem that I picked up on the previous voyage had turned my legs practically purple, I went to see the doctor on Monday. He diagnosed it as contact dermatitis, gave me 9 Prednisone tablets and 10 Benadryl tablets and sent me a bill for $117.80. According to the doctor there is nothing in the shower gel nor the chemical spray that could have caused the problem but there must have been some external change in my environment (can`t think of anything but the ship. I don`t use public bath tubs called whirlpools and never sit on a lounger without a new towel covering the surface.) Joanne was talking to another passenger who needed ten thyroid pills but had to pay the $111 doctor`s fee to get them. To all members of the CRS club, count your pills before you leave home and bring along a med kit.

Last night we dined at 6:00pm, finished at 6:45 and enjoyed an after dinner voucher drink to avoid the 5:00pm rush. Tuscan coffee in the morning does get busy and noisy. However people are happy with perks and complaints have died down. The only way to avoid the crowding caused by a popular program is to sail on cruises shunned by the cruise addicts.

At 3:00pm : Welcome to Celebrity Wi-Fi

Internet link is down. Please try again in a few minutes.

I also have a reaction to something onboard. I never use their shower gel (I bring my own). I blame it on what they use on the floors to disinfect them. I always carry benadryll and a cortizone cream because of this.

Dreaded leaving the ship in Barcelona. Really wish I had the time off available to do the T/A as well. Someday! Needed a lot of sea days after such a port intensive itinerary.

I'm sure it was lucky timing but we did not have an issue with lines at Blu, and we dined there 11 of 14 nights. I did see a line as I was headed to Tuscan one night, so I know it happened.....just not to our group of 4.

Would sail on Reflection again in a heartbeat!

As a fellow sufferer of the "contact dermatitis" club, while on board I no longer allow Purell near my skin. I have found a brand of hand sanitizer that doesn't cause my hands to swell, and I bring it along and use it. I also had to ask that the sheets be removed from the bed and re-washed in hot water only, no detergent, no fabric softener. The Hotel Director, on seeing the rash, quickly arranged for same. I'm bringing a vat of hydrocortisone on my next cruise, as well as benedryl, and keeping my fingers crossed. The ship is in Code Red and I always ask that any special sanitizing not be applied to anything in my stateroom. I feel your pain :(

We were honoured at the first one. There are two couples with over 100 cruise points and another just below. It's nice to spread the cheer around.

What a nice way to handle spread the cheer around - an advantage of having to split the events up

Saturday November 24th

On a dreary day the skies are almost a solid grey intermingled with a little sunshine and the occasional rain drop. As we continue to “roll” along at 18Knts most of the whitecaps are gone but Reflection is being affected by wave action from side to side, quite unsettling to some passengers. With a temperature of 70, more people are enjoying the deck area.

Last night we went to the Passport Bar on Deck 3 for our social hour and an opportunity to dance to the music provided by the DJ. At 4:45 there was only one group of chairs not already occupied. Friends who dropped by at 5:15 told us there were no empty chairs in any of the inside lounges where vouchers could be used. Time fell back another hour last night and both Blu and Tuscan filled up very quickly for breakfast this morning as passengers took advantage of the extra hour of rest to arrive early for seats.

Saturday November 24th

On a dreary day the skies are almost a solid grey intermingled with a little sunshine and the occasional rain drop. As we continue to “roll” along at 18Knts most of the whitecaps are gone but Reflection is being affected by wave action from side to side, quite unsettling to some passengers. With a temperature of 70, more people are enjoying the deck area.

Last night we went to the Passport Bar on Deck 3 for our social hour and an opportunity to dance to the music provided by the DJ. At 4:45 there was only one group of chairs not already occupied. Friends who dropped by at 5:15 told us there were no empty chairs in any of the inside lounges where vouchers could be used. Time fell back another hour last night and both Blu and Tuscan filled up very quickly for breakfast this morning as passengers took advantage of the extra hour of rest to arrive early for seats.

First... Arno, thank you so much for taking your time and $$$ to update us almost on daily basis.

Second, the more I read your posts and other threads about Reflection the more I realize that the ship is a mess, huge mess! I am trying to stay positive, but looks like nobody is really thrilled by the ship. There are a lot of problems with the ship (original design and added mechanical issues) and Celebrity doesn't look to be in a hurry ot fix them. ...

Archived