Our 50 Night Reflection Odyssey

C 2 C

I agree. I would kill for the chance to be on board that ship right now, despite the problems. In my opinion, complaining about these things and spreading rumors on what is going on (keep in mind, I am aware of the issues, and know what the actual problem is, and there is NOTHING to be concerned about) is starting to make others question their cruises---not professional in my opinion if the OP is going to project himself as an opinion leader.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your cruise, forget about the negatives! You only live once!

Thanks for the reassurance. We sail in less than 4 weeks and I have to say I'm starting to get worried that our cruise will be cancelled and then we will be scrambling last minute to try and find an alternate. Not the kind if anticipation I was planning on having this close to vacation!

Hello Arno,

Hope whatever you have is getting better. Is Joann doing ok without "Farmville?":)

In reading your posting does it mean that the coupons are good in the Martini Bar, as your image attachment did not show up??

November 18th: Barcelona

Dear Elite Member,

We’re glad to welcome you aboard Celebrity Reflection’s first transatlantic voyage. Due to the extraordinary popularity of this sailing with our Elite members, we will be offering you the choice to enjoy your evening cocktail around various bars and lounges across the ship. We hope you take this opportunity to experience each location’s unique ambiance.

Elite Beverage Vouchers:

· Valid from 5:00pm – 7:00pm daily, excluding the evening of embarkation

· For use in bars or lounges, excluding Molecular Bar, Michael’s Club, Cellar Masters and Cafe al Bacio

· Not valid in the main Dining Room or Specialty Restaurants

· Beverages not on the menu will be charged to your Seapass account

· Kindly present your Voucher and Seapass card at the time of ordering

· Vouchers will be delivered on embarkation day and cannot be replaced if lost

· Vouchers are not transferable or redeemable for cash

Please enjoy the selection offered on the Captain’s Club Cocktail Menu:

We value your loyalty and thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.”

The first few rollout voyages on any new ship are never perfect. Always bound to have some minor issues like these minor ones on Reflection, considering it's size and complexity, but on other hand always fun to be onboard when its brand spanking new, and that's always the allure.

Sounds like overall very good as nothing that affected comfort or safety, just a few little bugs that they seem to work out as they get used to her

The lusitania er reflection popped up with a broken propulsion out of the blue after at 90 days of use and after 10 days they still haven't fixed it with no resolution date in mind... Beyond all the changes in itinerary that occurred there was a noticeable lack of updates after about the second day, but we could all see the problem from the sunset bar and there were numerous sightings of the Germans sent over to fix it (maybe they liked the new ship too).

The thing that troubles me is that corporate apparently decided to send it across the Atlantic and if this problem could happen to one propulsion unit why not the other? Sounds to me they are playing fast and loose with the odds here but given their information blackout I'm only guessing.

As for the ship itself, it smells fresh, doesn't seem crowded except for midship elevators and has some really hardworking people on it working to give you a good vacation just not sure that applies to the officers or corporate.

I agree. I would kill for the chance to be on board that ship right now, despite the problems. In my opinion, complaining about these things and spreading rumors on what is going on (keep in mind, I am aware of the issues, and know what the actual problem is, and there is NOTHING to be concerned about) is starting to make others question their cruises---not professional in my opinion if the OP is going to project himself as an opinion leader.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your cruise, forget about the negatives! You only live once!

Hi, since you know the problem maybe you can help out. We are booked on the December 5 and 8 cruises and are truly getting concerned this problem could interfere or cancel our vacation. Will Reflection need to go into dry dock once Stateside?

First off if a ban member is telling his Gf what he thinks or knows what the problem is then state it. do not grt on this thread and act like you know without telling people who are cruisinf soon. .very bad form!

Second - I know the OP and he is not bored at all. he is stating facts as he knows them. he has a right to give his opinons to all of us.. No cruise is prefect and he is stated his idea thru his eyes.

We might not agree with all of them but i am glad to heard all of them.

i rarely go to Elite events as they are busy. .i also hate the pool deck and try to get up on the Solstice deck.

some people love Blu and i do not but i love AQ for the extras..

Yikes. I don't know how you folks can so quickly slam the OP who is only relaying the info (or lack thereof) that -X- is providing the pax.

Despite adversity, he's been kind enough to submit frequent blogs, and it's easy to discern what is fact vs. his personal opinions, which he is clearly entitled to.

All facts are not known yet and I hope the OP continues to communicate them as they unfold after having endured several undeserved lectures and mean-spirited conjecture by readers.

As my dad used to say, "it's nice to be nice."

Thanks again, Arno, for your posts--good or bad.

Hi, since you know the problem maybe you can help out. We are booked on the December 5 and 8 cruises and are truly getting concerned this problem could interfere or cancel our vacation. Will Reflection need to go into dry dock once Stateside?

An excellent question. She does not even have to state the exact nature of the problem as she understands it, just answer whether or not it can be fixed without going into dry dock. How about just a yes or no? Although I fear if it could have been fixed without a dry dock, it would have been by now.

And dpryo319, your comments about rumor spreading relating to Arno are a bit out of line.

Anne

We are booked for Dec 5 and 8. We are watching and waiting. Not worried. If she does not sail, we will figure something out. (I think she will sail).

As to folks wanting X to be more forthcoming - it is not that simple. These things can be rather complex and they need to do what they need to do. Bottom line -they are not going to send 3-4,000 across the Atlantic if they think something will go bad.

As to letting the "rumor mill" running things, even if everything was shared, the rumors would continue. 100% sure of that.

As to the folks onboard posting - thanks for posting what you know.

Go hang at the bar.

In my opinion, complaining about these things and spreading rumors on what is going on (keep in mind, I am aware of the issues, and know what the actual problem is, and there is NOTHING to be concerned about)

I think the problem is that X has not been forthcoming with information. If you are correct that it is NOTHING to be concerned about, then why do they not let the passengers know what is wrong?

Have we all forgotten the Costa already? I certainly hope Celebrity hasn't.

Why cause a panic both onboard the ship and apparently on these boards by giving ongoing updates when the problem is still being worked on. I would hope they are focused on assessing the situation carefully and considering the safety of their passengers and crew first and foremost.

I doubt missing one port and some upset passengers the highest priority here - I certainly hope not.

No, I don't expect that you were looking for problems, but I do think much of your complaining is about minor things. You seemed to have convinced yourself that the worse will happen and it apparently is affecting your enjoyment of the ship. Instead of worrying about what may happen (or may not happen), why not put it out of your mind and enjoy your cruise until it does happen (if it ever happens at all)?

I did not find the ship crowded as you do. But, I am not Elite so do not attend those crowded functions for your group, which is where I think your complaint of crowding is stemming from.

Perhaps you cruise too much and no longer can enjoy it as much as we average cruisers do. I don't have as many opportunities as you have to cruise, so I savor every hour I am on a cruise, and don't focus on the problems as you have done on this thread. Cruising may becoming boring for you.

I believe the OP is doing a great jop with his LIVE reports sharing real news with us.

How different it is from those "invaluable" reports like "OMG we had chicken for dinner yesterday, the ship is stunning!".

As for S-class being crowded - yes it is!

This is what I observed during my cruise. It's not because I am Elite. It's because the ship is designed that way.

And surely the Reflection with decreased public space and increased number of passengers produces even more crowded feel than the original S-Class design.

Especially in comparison with Princess that has pool decks twice as large as Celebrity, huge open observation deck and wrap-around promenade that the Reflection lacks.

I see two issues.

One has to do with the mechanical issues of the ship. Thank you Arno for giving us what information you have been given. It is important for me to be able to make an informed decision about what ship to sail, and I will take all accounts into consideration. I will also take into condsideration how Celebrity handles this situation.

Second has to do with a review of one person's experience of the ship. Thank you Arno. Some information and some opinions you have posted will help me decide what to do onboard, what cabin to book, etc. Thank you for taking your time to do this. Some things that are bothersome to some may not impact me at all. It is always good ( MHO) for me to know as much beforehand so I can avoid things I will dislike, and not miss things that I will like.

Arno and Joanne, Even thought I have never met you, I wish you the best for the rest of the cruise. Happy Sailing.

There is a big difference between a problem with a pod and a problem with the electrical generators/distribution system.....however if they tried to explain that to the passengers, there would be so many confused that it would be mayhem.

In a nutshell, they would not (IMHO) sail across the atlantic with only one operational pod. That's like flying a 777 to Europe with only one engine. Aside from being dangerous, it would be a legal nightmare if something happened.

More likely, there is an issue with one of the main generators that provide pod power and they are running the ship without all the main generators working. That could be equally unsafe (depending on the number of main generators) except there are multiple other generators on the ship and power could be diverted to the pods if necessary in an emergency. Likely they could run at full speed if the passengers didn't mind no lights and cold food....but that's not necessary.

Most all problems can be solved on the ship if they have the parts....but also likely they don't have them on-board...they will meet the ship in Florida where they will be able to install them. Depending on the parts, that could be one day or last into the next cruise, in which case the lower speed would also have to be taken into account....and the itinerary would change.

If there is a change to the next cruise, it is highly unlikely that Celebrity will announce it in advance....can you imagine all the calls with folks wanting to cancel, reschedule, get a full refund, etc.

Things will get better...at some unknown time..but until then it's still a beautiful ship and someone else is cooking the food and cleaning the room :)

ghstudio you talk sense here,

when she arrives in Miami she does 2x 2 nite cruises to nowhwere for naming and party/VIP cruises, so she could stay docked in port while its fixed.

Yes, they do have some buffer time upon arrival in Miami. Following the Party/VIP dates,they have a 3 day from Dec 5-8 as well. Lots of things can, might, might not happen.

This is certainly an interesting thread and I can see why it might have generated concerns in some passengers.

As I see it, the OP expressed views and as they are a regular cruiser these attracted a lot of interest. When a regular cruiser posts, they have expectations of what should happen and I will admit when I have posted back from cruises, I have to remember, what will the average cruiser expect to hear, not can I spot one or two minor areas where there were lapses or differences, areas I might only notice because I have been so frequently exposed to the product. I have a sympathy for the cruise line, how do you exceed expectations with a very regular cruiser? And, if the cruise is not living up to their higher expecations, I have sympathy for the OP

One area though that did concern me was the OP's personal concerns about issues with the mechanical issues of the ship took on a life of their own and seeds of disbelief that the cruiseline were being honest were liberally sprinkled in posts including the OPs.

Undoubtedly there is a mechanical issue that is being addressed, but as others have said, if there was any big issue, would they send the ship transatlantic - after all, you are taking the vessel away from the locale of the yard that built it and I am sure if there had been an issue, they would have taken the ship back to Holland for more work.

I am amazed that there is such a high expectation of information from guests and extrapolation of information today to problems down the line.

In every walk of life, sometimes our expectations increase way above where they should be, and this often comes more often when we looking at products/services we are frequently using. When I find that happening, as I did with my favourite airline, I walked away from the product, tried others and then came back. Not because the alternative was good or bad but because I had regrounded my sense of reality!

UKtog - "I am amazed that there is such a high expectation of information from guests and extrapolation of information today to problems down the line. "

As they say "ignorance is bliss"! In our time of "information at the touch of a fingertip", I wonder if too much information is a bad thing! Many would be quite content if nothing were known - but are almost hysterical when they can't find out the most up-to-date information - even if there is nothing they can to with said information.

Stop for a moment - it's a vacation (holiday). Have fun and enjoy your vacation regardless of the speed of the ship....slow down and enjoy life! Me, I'd be happy to just stay at the port and let the crew wait on me hand and foot!!!

We just returned from the Nov. 4th Reflection cruise and I think this is a case of "you have to be there to understand". We were on the Century Med. cruise that was cancelled on the second night of twelve nights in 2010, so you can imagine how we felt when the Captain announced that there was a problem with the ship and we would not be stopping at Rhodes. Deja vu! Then, we got almost no informatioin. We honestly wondered if this cruise was going to be cancelled as well. I heard a passenger telling another that the Captain sent out an SOS! The rumors were flying. I'd much rather have too much information than not enough and in my mind, we did not receive enough information from the Captain.

We just returned from the Nov. 4th Reflection cruise and I think this is a case of "you have to be there to understand". We were on the Century Med. cruise that was cancelled on the second night of twelve nights in 2010, so you can imagine how we felt when the Captain announced that there was a problem with the ship and we would not be stopping at Rhodes. Deja vu! Then, we got almost no informatioin. We honestly wondered if this cruise was going to be cancelled as well. I heard a passenger telling another that the Captain sent out an SOS! The rumors were flying. I'd much rather have too much information than not enough and in my mind, we did not receive enough information from the Captain.

I'm very sorry for your ordeal. It's easy to spout platitudes/judgments on this board when you're not on the ship wondering what in the world is going on.

I guess you need to be in the inner circle like dpryo319 to get the scoop.:rolleyes:

Thank you for taking the time to post. I hope you have/had a pleasant journey home and that your next cruise will be an uneventful one.

Alright folks, here's the deal. What it sounds like is that in Athens, it was planned to be repaired, but there weren't the correct materials. So, in Miami (after the TA) it will be getting repaired. They clearly do not want panic over this when it will be getting repaired, QUICKLY, in Miami :-) Good news!!

Also to clear up a rumor there is NOT norovirus on board. That is false. Some passengers came down with some nasty colds, and they are of course being overly careful about sanitization! More good news!

Change of topic, shall we??? :-)

I do feel for Arno, and many on board, 9 sea days is just....a lot... Wow. I can tell you Rory is a little apprehensive , with his sea sickness..

Thanks for posting DaMara, even after you have been unfairly criticized by certain posters here.

i sure hope Rory is ok and has lots of seasickness meds. I know I wouldn't care for that many days at sea myself. Look forward to meeting him in January. (Ask him to practice some a Springsteen tunes for me. :-)

It's being reported as a non-threatening electrical issue: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5086

Arno, I hope you are feeling better and that your stateroom is quiet and comforting for this leg of your journey. Thank you for your consistently informative and objective reports! As a fellow cruiser who is excited about boarding in December, I am delighted to hear your high praise of the food and service! I hope you and your wife enjoy your remaining days.

Archived