Obvious things a newbie cruiser might not know

RoonilWazlib

Thanks for starting this excellent thread and also to the seasoned Celebrity cruisers who have posted such helpful and informative information. We are sailing with Celebrity for the first time next year and from reading the posts on this thread we can see that quite a lot of procedures are different to those on Princess. Keep the info coming! You've saved me lots of posts:).

Despegue, thank you for your post, it was very informative! And especially helpful was the following:

During the drill, you DO NOT wear your lifevest. You can leave the vest in your stateroom.

I would have been one of those people bringing mine because I wouldn't be sure if I should or not. Would probably be looking pretty silly as the only one... Haha

Don't know how much you've travelled in Europe, but pickpockets are a really big problem there, so be very careful. Many of these thieves are children, or well dressed adults working in pairs where one of them distracts you. I have never been robbed, but my sister and a number of people from our roll calls have been. Keep a close eye on your purse and your wallet, especially in airports. There are also special products you can buy, such as purses by PacSafe, that provide more protection. But as always, common sense is the best deterrent.

Cynbar, I wouldn't have thought to be extra vigilant in the airports like I would be on the streets! Geez! Thank you for the tip!

Wondering if anyone can explain the online check-in for me? How early do you do that? And why do I need special luggage tags? Besides name and cabin number, is anything else on them?

Also, I'm still wondering about the time zone thing. When do you change your alarm clock and watch when crossing time zones? Does the ship always line up with the ports it's visiting? (Don't want to be late for my private tours!!)

Thanks!

Hello Roonil. A fellow HP fan here :)

If someone tells you the food is bad even though you liked it, you are not wrong.

If someone tells you that the service is bad and you've just tipped, you are not wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even when they are wrong :p

Cynbar, I wouldn't have thought to be extra vigilant in the airports like I would be on the streets! Geez! Thank you for the tip!

Wondering if anyone can explain the online check-in for me? How early do you do that? And why do I need special luggage tags? Besides name and cabin number, is anything else on them?

Also, I'm still wondering about the time zone thing. When do you change your alarm clock and watch when crossing time zones? Does the ship always line up with the ports it's visiting? (Don't want to be late for my private tours!!)

Thanks!

I think that airports should be treated like anywhere else but are probably slightly safer airside just because the general public cannot go there. However, I have read reports in the UK of bags being robbed during flights. You should always exercise common sense.

Online check-in can be started as soon as you set up your reservation in My Celebrity. It is a good idea to start early - it is another job you can tick off your list. You cannot print you express pass until after final payment and it is made available by Celebrity. You should receive an email when this is. At that stage you can order/print your luggage labels. [Not sure of the current status of luggage labels.] I prefer to use the labels supplied because they are in a standard format and colour coded to assit in getting your bags to your stateroom. They are also barcoded but I have never found anyone who can tell be if the bar codes are used and what information they hold!

Opps, I knew there was another wuestion I meant to answer earlier. You will not have any problem knowing when the clocks change. It will be in the daily information sheets and your stateroom attendant will leave your TV showing a message about it while you are at dinner. If you ned to check the time, it will be shown on the telephone display. We usually change our clocks/watches before we go to bed. Always stick to ships time. Very, very rarely that will be different to the time in port and all times to get back to the ship are given in ship's time. All private tour operators understand about the times ship are in port and the need to get you back to the ship at the right time.

Sue

Are we allowed to decorate our doors, then? I wouldn't have thought that!

Use something that will not mar the door/walls. Scotts 3-m hooks, poster putty. etc. NO Nails, NO Tape. Door decorations are FUN. We have a wooden sign we have used for years, and ALWAYS comments.

My advice is always make up your own mind as peoples opinions are subjective, what I think is earth shattering the next person thinks is lame.

Only by trying things for yourself will you know, as an example whilst on a tour of Florence the guide took us to a lovely church but said don't waste your time going inside. We did go inside and were rewarded hansomely.

We had the same concerns as you and were 1st timers but no need to worry, Celebrity make things really easy and simple. Your Stateroom attendand can be a great ally and will answer any concern you may have.

My tip: have luggage tags well attached to your luggage before porters walk of with it.

Also you need to be really organised on a Mediterrean cruise. Make sure you know what exactly you would like to see and how long it takes to get there. But also schedule in some down time, especially if you are going in the hot months.

However, if flying don't place the tags on your liggage until after you get bags from your flight . I've known a few who put them on prior to boarding the plane and they were lost.

For motion sickness: Bring ginger tablets; eat green apples; wear seabands; eat fresh ginger from the sushi bar; or take dramamine.

Daily Sheets: I always ask for two in my cabin, one to carry with me druing the day and one to bring home. I read them each night and mark what I'd like to do the next day.

Cruise with Celebrity to earn enough credits to become an Elite member and receive extra perks: 90-minutes internet use; some laundry services; elite happy hour between 5-7pm, etc. You earn one credit per week and an additional credit for concierge and above. 3 credits max per cruise.

Before having lunch, check out the various menus (main dining room, buffet area, etc.) and then make your choice. There's lots to choose from on the ship!

You can ask for a bucket of ice and carafe of water in your room.

Monica

Also, if I keep my phone on airplane mode and just use it for an alarm clock, will that work to avoid the roaming charges and such?
You can also set a "wake up" call on your cabin phone

Ship's time does "line up" with local time. There will be ample warnings the night before any time change - in print; on the ship's tv channels; the ship's clocks will all change; and if you are eating in the MDR, your waiter will remind you.

First of all please excuse my spelling of cities and ports :)

But In general, for a European cruise, be sure to do your homework. There are some ports where you can simply "walk off" and be there (Ville France, Rhodes, Tallinn spring to mind), some where you are pretty close (Mykonos, Split, Stockholm), some where you definately need to come up with transportation (Athens, Barcelona, Copenhagen, -- figure out the train, taxi, private tour, ship's "on-your-own" excursion), some where the "real" desination is well inland (Katacolon-Olympia; Kusadasi-Ephesis; Crecitevecia-Rome; Naples-Pompeii/Amalfi/Capri) and you'll need to plan ahead; finally those few spots where you may be "afraid" to do your own thing (mine is St. Petersburg) or those that just defy catagorization (Venice :)). The guide books help once you get there, but the destination boards and your "Meet and Mingle" are probably the best sources for how to get from the ship to the sights. Be certain that whatever you are reading will apply to your ship (some lines use different piers).

Also be aware that based upon how busy a port may be, the situation may change -- Mykonos for example is a "first come, first serve" kind of place. They have one pier that is a short shuttle ride to town, One pier that is very walkable to town, and when those are full your ship will tender (and the tender will leave you off in a different spot). Work with experienced private tour companies, make certain that they know your cruise line and ship name (during the "high" season a line may have more than one ship in port, and some of the ships names are similar or identical) -- If the tour co is good and knows that you are on Celebrity Solstice, their driver and/or guide will do the research and will know where to meet you.

Evaluate whether "cards" may be a good buy for you -- many tourist cities have cards that you can purchase that are good for 24-hour period and allow you admission into museums and sights; and access to public transportaion. Some can be great deals, others may not work well for you.

Ship's tours -- some people like them but be aware: 1) they tend to be rather large, and 2) the ships have agreements with local merchants so many tours include a stop or two at some shops (generally way off the beaten track so you may feel like you are being held hostage or are at minimum wasting some of your port time). But if a ship's tour is running late, they will generally hold the ship and if they cannot they will help you get to the next port. And when you are at tendered ports, you can often get off the ship more quickly (Santorini springs to mind)

On a port heavy itinerary like Europe, use room service as your wake up call. Order off the TV or with the breakfast listings found in your service book in your cabin. You specify a time and room service will call to say they are coming. A great way to wake up without worrying about a clock. The only clock in the room will be on the telephone!

If your room key gets demagnetized, just go to Guest Relations to get another one. One trip I worked my way thru 3 of them before realizing it was my evening bags fault.

If you like gelato, you'll buy it at the shop next to the Cova. But there is wonderful free ice cream everyday available in the buffet area. You can get toppings for the ice cream there as well, or even just the toppings to munch on- jelly beans, M & Ms, etc. Yummy!

Keep reading CC and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Hello Roonil. A fellow HP fan here :)

YES! You're the first to mention it! Woohoo! I'll be loading that up on my e-reader to take with me on my cruise!

These tips from everyone are so amazing! I think maybe I need to start a Word document with all the tips and print it off right before we go!

Another wondering: What is the reasoning for letting your ship take your luggage from you the night before and picking it up outside the next day? Why can't I just keep it with me and walk off the ship with it?

We have a pretty early flight the next day, and I've heard stories about having trouble finding suitcases during debarkation. I'd rather just keep it with me, since we aren't planning on taking large suitcases anyway.

Another wondering: What is the reasoning for letting your ship take your luggage from you the night before and picking it up outside the next day? Why can't I just keep it with me and walk off the ship with it?

We have a pretty early flight the next day, and I've heard stories about having trouble finding suitcases during debarkation. I'd rather just keep it with me, since we aren't planning on taking large suitcases anyway.

You can opt to carry your own off for express debarkation. We travel carry-on and do all the timer.

Anorthedr thing a first time cruiser may not know is that it is traditional that if traveling with anyone from "Baie d'Urfe" you buy that person a drink. :rolleyes::p:D

free-scotch-073010-xlg.jpg

We just passed thru your "territory" last month! Until we did, I pictured you living off the coast of Africa or from an island in the Pacific!

That is a very good point. I recently got to watch the panick that ensues when a guest accidentally leaves their passport inside of their luggage.

Once they take your luggage at the curb you do not see it again until it is in your room.....so don't leave your passport in your luggage.......or else you will have some pretty frustrated porters and crew members search for a bag that is "black and rectangular".....needless to say it took a lot of effort to find their bag.

I am sorry I do not know the answer because I only have an American credit card. If you are worried about crazy holds just bring travelers checks and set up your account with the travellers checks or cash.

I made a small banner that said 'Happy Anniversary' in semaphore flags (about an inch each) glued to a ribbon and glued that to small magnets for the door - we always knew where we were.

Don't miss the brunch that's held on a sea day - chocolate fountains, breakfast and lunch items - and Swan Puffs!!!

One of the channels on the TV is taken from the bridge - fun to watch if you are pulling in to a port.

And read your dailies - so much info as to what is going on all day and night - where musical groups will be, lectures, games, bar hours and locations, etc.

Have a great time!!!!

you usually watch a video, now. You get to learn how to put on a life vest, where to meet in case of emergency, and what the ships horns(alarms) mean. Also, you get to check out who's on board and make snarky comments about what people are wearing.;)

lol!

Archived