Biggest difference between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean

Norwegianlatvian

we sailed with Celebrity in June, on the Solstice it was only our 2nd cruise, last year year where on adventure of the seas... both time with our (now almost 18) 17 year old son.

For us, we loved the cabin on the Celebrity cruise, the bars, the dining.... but on the A O S the staff were so much friendlier, they new us by name, with in the 2nd day... now some of the staff did on the solstice, but some were just bordering on "rude".

Our room just wasn't cleaned to the same standard as what it was on the AOS.

But when sailing again, we would choose celebrity...just for the cabin and food.... excellent!!

I feel the advantages for Celebrity are:

-very few announcements during the day

-no advertising over the loud speakers

-much better no smoking policy

-food is generally better quality

-more 'refined' experience

I feel the advantages of Royal Caribbean are:

-cold fruit soups nightly

-higher activity level on ship and more active passengers

-more physical activities such as ice skating, etc.

-guests generally seemed to be less pretentious

-wider age span with a younger crowd

• 3 weeks later...

I love being able to order room service off the Celebrity MDR menu at dinner time. SOmetimes I just don't feel like getting dressed after a long excursion in port. I can wear my shorts... or heck even a robe.... yet still have a really nice dinner, either on my balcony or in my cabin.

I love being able to order room service off the Celebrity MDR menu at dinner time. SOmetimes I just don't feel like getting dressed after a long excursion in port. I can wear my shorts... or heck even a robe.... yet still have a really nice dinner, either on my balcony or in my cabin.

How soon in advance do you need to tell them you want dinner in your stateroom? Who do you call?

How soon in advance do you need to tell them you want dinner in your stateroom? Who do you call?

You ask your room steward for the menu and he/she will take your order. I assume the more notice, the better.

We prefer Celebrity for the great specialty restaurants, the lack of kids, and the drink packages.

I've done 4 RCCL and 10 X cruises. The last RCCL cruise was 6/06 and it was wonderful. ALL of my cruises have been wonderful, but I have been sticking with X. Friends who've sailed RCCL in the last 3 yrs have reported a slight dip in the food and service areas. I would probably do a RCCL cruise again if X didn't have the itinerary I wanted, but I don't think that will ever be a problem.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal (partial transit+4 other W. Carib.ports)

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords 1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib.

6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia 2/12 Summit S. Carib. 8/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour

2/13 Summit S. Carib.

There is nothing wrong with RCCL (except their more lenient smoking policy) but overall I vastly prefer X. I think the service is generally better. The atmosphere is more refined/relaxed than activity-driven. There are fewer children so the ship tends to be more quiet (not complaining about kids - it just is what it is). I think overall in bars and restaurants people tend to be more quiet and laid back on Celebrity. I would give an analogy (which I'm sure will rile up some) that RCCL is more akin to going to TGI Fridays or Red Lobster, and Celebrity is more akin to going to Mortons Steak House or Capitol Grill. All are enjoyable, it just depends what you are in the mood for. And onboard each line you will find some options similar to both types of places but I am describing the overall ambiance of the cruise. My opinion

I love how Celebrity offers cold water and chilled towels when you line up to reboard the ship. It's a small thing, but much appreciated after a long day on a hot island beach.

And I love how the passengers of the ship berthed on the opposite side of the quay look longingly at this wonderful amenity.

I will sail the Solstice next year in a veranda. So you can order fronthe MDR menu as a non suite guest??? Really??? Wow. I did not know that. Hummm Who brings the food to you? Who do you tip?

Gosh. Never realized we were low class.

Rick

:cool:Not at all Rick. We have high class, low class, middle class, then the most of the rest. Then we have TEXANS. A breed of them selves LOL. Lived in Grapevine for 6 years. Both girls born in Dallas. Got me two native texans. Loved it there. A breed apart. :cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

..so I booked a 12 night cruise with Celebrity Constellation in November 2013, while I was on a 12 night cruise with Mariner of the Seas.

So far I got 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean. What is the biggest differences between a Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely food - much, much better - quality and choice, on Celebrity.

..so I booked a 12 night cruise with Celebrity Constellation in November 2013, while I was on a 12 night cruise with Mariner of the Seas.

So far I got 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean. What is the biggest differences between a Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise?

Thanks in advance!

The biggest difference is that Celebrity always pulls in straight and Royal backs into their slip. :rolleyes::p

48701696.jpg

I would say food and service.

Keith

Agree over all much more classy-that and there will not be tons of kids on board. Also the Connie has those great glass elevators where you can see the ocean as you ride-beautiful ship! The Connie compares more to Jewel of the Seas than Mariner of the Seas when it comes to beauty. The only thing I liked about Mariner of the Seas was the ice show-no ice show on Connie-LOL! but I can easily live without an ice show on a cruise-especially since the rink is very small compared to seeing an ice show at Philip's Arena in Atlanta.

Edited by momofmeg

I will sail the Solstice next year in a veranda. So you can order fronthe MDR menu as a non suite guest??? Really??? Wow. I did not know that. Hummm Who brings the food to you? Who do you tip?

Your steward and you still tip for room service-at least I do.

However, I did think it was conceriage class and above that could order off the dinner menu-I guess I was wrong. My daughter was in CC and they did that and she said their steward brought their food. We were in a skysuite so our butler brought ours.

We had an aft cabin once and had the Steward bring us dinner which we ate there. It was wonderful. there's nothing like eating dinner while watching a city recede and then the wake. We gave him a large tip and next day he asked if we wanted dinner there again.........

Rick: I didn't say everyone was lower class. There was a certain group (small percentage) of people who were loud, discourteous and annoying on the recent Allure cruise that was not on the Celebrity cruise a little earlier. This was the case on the Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise last year also. Everyone had moved away from this group or those like this. No one is talking about you. Don't be so sensitive.

:cool:Not at all Rick. We have high class, low class, middle class, then the most of the rest. Then we have TEXANS. A breed of them selves LOL. Lived in Grapevine for 6 years. Both girls born in Dallas. Got me two native texans. Loved it there. A breed apart. :cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Yes, yes we are:D:D;)