Getting giddy!

magandab

Three weeks from today I'll be flying on a Jet Plane to Sydney to meet all my new best friends and to see a part of the world I never ever thought I would. The packing is ongoing as I add and subtract and weigh, plus monitoring my mom doing the same.

It feels like a real countdown now!

New Zealand was like nothing we've ever seen before... you will love it! Clean and pristine!

One thing we remembered from our flights there and back was that while Delta allowed 50 lbs per bag going, the return flight allowed 22 kilograms per bag, something just shy of 50 lbs. (this in 2009). Actually, it comes to 48.5 pounds. My MIL had to re-arrange some weight to make everything work. So check and be sure you're good both ways on whatever airline you fly.

Again, you'll love your cruise!

I would LOVE to go to that area, but can't stand the length of the flights. Have even thought of flying first to CA, staying a day or two, then off to Hawaii for a few days, then on from there.

Does anyone know of any round trips out of CA?? That could work much better.

Donna

I would LOVE to go to that area' date=' but can't stand the length of the flights. Have even thought of flying first to CA, staying a day or two, then off to Hawaii for a few days, then on from there.

Does anyone know of any round trips out of CA?? That could work much better.[/quote']

It wasn't as bad going over to Auckland as I thought it was going to be. It's a long flight south, but the time zone differences aren't all that many.

I did fly out to LAX, then stayed overnight to rest. I slept in, did an afternoon tour of Hollywood, ate a relaxing supper, then took a late, overnight non-stop flight to Auckland. I gave myself three days to recover before boarding the ship, but really needed two, at most.

I'm sure there are non-stop flights between LAX and Sydney, too.

You can do a round-trip from home to LAX, then add an open jaw routing LAX that includes Auckland and Sydney.

I'm sure there are non-stop flights between LAX and Sydney, too.

We're flying non-stop from LAX to Sydney. Unfortunately, we're arriving in Sydney and start the cruise the same day. I'm already taking three weeks off work and couldn't arrange more. It's a 14-hour flight, leaving LAX at 10:30 pm so am hoping, praying and drugging myself so I'll sleep at least enough to get me through the day until bedtime on the ship. We arrive in Sydney at 8:30 or so, a.m.! I figured it out that from getting up in the morning until a reasonable bedtime onboard, will be 42 hours! Eek and double eek!

We're flying non-stop from LAX to Sydney. Unfortunately, we're arriving in Sydney and start the cruise the same day. I'm already taking three weeks off work and couldn't arrange more. It's a 14-hour flight, leaving LAX at 10:30 pm so am hoping, praying and drugging myself so I'll sleep at least enough to get me through the day until bedtime on the ship. We arrive in Sydney at 8:30 or so, a.m.! I figured it out that from getting up in the morning until a reasonable bedtime onboard, will be 42 hours! Eek and double eek!

We did this in 2009 from LAX to SYD in coach on a Delta 777 and found that we could indeed sleep and be coherent once we arrived in Sydney. This was after a 5 hour MCO to LAX flight going and coming home. However, we did overnight in Sydney before boarding our cruise and afterwards, so that did help. Good luck with your arrangements and I know for a fact you'll love every minute of your cruise. The people of NZ and Australia are friendly and very "matter-of-fact" and frank. Everyone you meet there will treat you as a "long-lost friend". And just being "down-under" will be a treat! Enjoy! :D

The countdown began? Which one To me, before travelling, there's about 5 countdowns: First counting down months, then weeks, then days, hours and then finally the countdown to boarding ;D

Seriously, I'ven been counting down every single day now to my November 25 cruise. And it's not really going with an acceptable pace, but rather slooooowmoooooo

Archived