Inside cabin question

Pennipops

I am planning to go to Hawaii in 2014. Its an expensive holiday for us, and we are saving like mad! My question is this. I am considering an inside cabin, we would obviously rather have an OV but it is several hundred pounds more for the the 3 of us. A balcony is literally thousands more and frankly out of the question. I am aware that the rooms have a t.v. and that this can show the 'bridge cam' all the time. Has anyone booked an inside and used the 'bridge cam' as a free window? I'm sure its not the same as a window, but I'm keen to save money where possible. Any opinions greatfully recieved :)

Hi There

Having spent a few months in an inside will try and help,

the inside is dark even during the day pitch black,

when we wake up we switch on the tv to look at the bridge cam,

to see what the weather is like are we docked etc,

as to during the day, do not use it much, as we do not spend any real time there,

the santuary for us gives us a balcony experience if we want one,

any questions please ask and will try and help

yours Shogun

Our feelings are that if you're on the ship....it's a good thing. For the amount of time you spend in your room, the TV will give you a glimpse of what is happening but when you wake up, you will not want to stay in your room. A word of advise though, pick a room mid ship or second best, in the back. You won't feel the rocking as much.

Have fun....get on the ship....get out of your room and enjoy your trip.

We are booked on an inside for our march hawaii sailing, we are on plaza deck ( a first ) and quite looking forward to the location. The price pp was £620 for a inside and £860 a window, with 3 of us travelling thats a big difference

I am planning to go to Hawaii in 2014. Its an expensive holiday for us, and we are saving like mad! My question is this. I am considering an inside cabin, we would obviously rather have an OV but it is several hundred pounds more for the the 3 of us. A balcony is literally thousands more and frankly out of the question. I am aware that the rooms have a t.v. and that this can show the 'bridge cam' all the time. Has anyone booked an inside and used the 'bridge cam' as a free window? I'm sure its not the same as a window, but I'm keen to save money where possible. Any opinions greatfully recieved :)

I would get an inside on Plaza or Lido Deck . We usually have a balcony on warm area cruises.

I usually sail in inside cabins. They are really great for sleeping.

I remember one time on the Star two years ago I left my non smart phone on thinking it would be good for knowing the time. I woke up the first morning and my phone said 6:30. I was excited as I felt rested and was awake in time to see the sunrise. I got dressed and headed out. I was really surprised how busy it was. Not used to so many people that early..

Well it was after 9:30 and the entire ship was awake!! I guess being out of range of the cell towers your phone doesn't keep accurate time.

I am very light sensitive and I didn't find our first inside cabin pitch dark. There is a lot of light from the hall that comes through the bottom/sides of the door all night long. The only time I missed a window was first thing in the morning but we booked near the aft doors on the Riveria deck. Perfect to walk out and check the weather and also have that aft view. I loved our balcony in Alaska but didn't use it much in the Mediterranean since we were on the go so much. I do love balconies but loved the inside price. The webcam was used but if you get near an outside door - that was more beneficial.

Insides are not so bad. I just bring a nite light to go to the bathroom. A plug for charging and the nite light is helpful.

DSCF1588.jpg

Might try for an obstructed ocean view on emerald deck 8. Just had 16 days on the Diamond Princess and was very pleased by our cabin E410 at the midships stairs. Looking at the Renmar site that shows the view from window you can choose a cabin with almost no obstruction and for a much lower price than window or balcony. I liked the cabin in a similar position on the Star even better because the bed was not placed in front of the window.

Our cousin travels with us and she usually has an inside room because of the single supplements. She does just fine. When she wants to sit on Deck she usually takes her book to Deck 7 with the lounge chairs on the promenade deck. I know many elite cruisers that prefer the inside cabins and many who choose the inside so that they have the cheapest "ticket to ride" and can go more often. I see no advantage to being higher deck for inside rooms so choose midships for gentle ride and convenience or base on price -- insides more alike than different since no view to compare and no balcony to be covered or not covered:rolleyes:

We usually get inside cabins -- to save on $. Not a big deal for us as we like to be out and about the ship as much as possible. I will often have the webcam station or the navigation channel on.

Sometimes we'll leave the bathroom light on and the door slightly ajar for any night time trips there.

6 cruises, the last was our first inside, it was fine. We were on the Star on deck 12. Our inside went the long way with the hall, different. Had lots of room and storage, was very quiet. Didn't like the fact when you open the door the first thing some one might see was the bed, but it's not a big deal. Some light came from under the door, not much. Be sure to bring an alarm because you are never sure of the time because of the light issue.

The difference in the cost of rooms made it worth it, big time. We're not in the room all the much any way. Would we do it again? Already have, we have booked 2 more cruises, both insides. The cost savings have made it all possible.

I just returned from 14 days on the Caribbean Princess and I had an inside cabin, on Plaza Deck forward. It was the third time I booked an inside on Plaza deck, so obviously I had no problem with it. Like others, I leave the cam on all night (or if I nap during the day), so I can see if it's day or night when I wake up. It acts as my nightlight, and the music they play is very nice. Don't want to hear the music? Put it on mute. It would be great to have a window, but the ship's cam is a good substitute and I can sail at least twice a year this way.

Last week on the Crown, I was a bit disappointed that the single camera (there are often 2 on HAL) was often misaligned so that all you got was a view of the deck or superstructure most of the time. When they did point it at something else, it was always forward so that the impression of it being a side window (as with an ocean view cabin) could not be gained. It also needed cleaning as you could not discern the colour of the sky - it always looked a dirty brown even on very sunny days.

We are booked on an inside for our march hawaii sailing, we are on plaza deck ( a first ) and quite looking forward to the location. The price pp was £620 for a inside and £860 a window, with 3 of us travelling thats a big difference

Thanks all for your replies! You don't know how many hours I spend pouring over my Princess brochere, my husband said I won't need a map when we get there! The prices quoted above are beyond amazing, do you mind me asking when you booked as on the Princess site the prices are much higher? Many thanks.

Archived