RCCL private island

Hi,

So a relative of mine (she cruises Carnival mostly:p) said that on her last Carnival Cruise a guy had some photos of Carnival's private island in the Bahamas and Royal Caribbean's Private Island in the Bahamas and he said it was the same island....I really don't think that is the case. I just don't see RCCL paying Carnival to use their island....so what's truth???

Hi,

So a relative of mine (she cruises Carnival mostly:p) said that on her last Carnival Cruise a guy had some photos of Carnival's private island in the Bahamas and Royal Caribbean's Private Island in the Bahamas and he said it was the same island....I really don't think that is the case. I just don't see RCCL paying Carnival to use their island....so what's truth???

Different islands.

I'm pretty sure Carnival goes to Half Moon Cay for their private island...Royal is Coco Cay...as much as I love Royal...I do like Half Moon cay better than Coco for a private island...

I have only been to Half-Moon but it really was an amazing experience. The softest sand I have ever felt and the most beautiful water. Just loved it!!

Half Moon Cay is owned by Holland America Cruise Line, a Carnival corporation subsidiary.. Carnival Cruise Line does not own their own private island, but does have access to Half Moon Cay so long as a Holland ship is not using it. Holland America ships always have priority, but since Holland pulls their ships out of the Carribbean during hurricane season, Carnival Cruise Line ships do use this island for a good chunk of the year, especially during the summer months.

Seems to me the names are purely marketing names and not geographic names. Half-Moon Cay shows (via GoogleEarth) as being the island of Little San Salvador and Coco Cay shows as Little Stirup Cay, part of Barry Islands at the end of Grand Stirup Cay - where NCL has private beach so Coco and Grand Stirup are close enough (about a mile) for ships to look like they are at the same island but there is water between. Carnival's Half-Moon and Coco are 150 miles (as the seagull flies) apart.

No - they are not the same. RCI holds the lease on Coco Cay and it is for the exclusive use of their passengers.

EXACTLY! It's for the use of RCCL and Celebrity ships.

Seems we are the only folks on the planet who like Coco Cay better than HMC ... but we do. :D

~~~~

Both are in the Bahama's chain...but are different islands! Coco Cay is very nice and pretty! Really, tho, if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen 'em all!

That is what you have said before about ALL of the Caribbean islands.:rolleyes:

You are correct about the names being marketing names.

In regards to the RCCL and NCL islands and their closeness. There was an interesting incident that happened several years ago.

RCCL and NCL had ships at their respective private islands. One was scheduled to leave earlier than the other. The earlier ship's passengers were on-board, and the ship was ready to leave. The other ship was still tendering their passengers back to the ship when the seas got rough.

The Captains got on the radio to each other, and the earlier leaving ship moved over to act as a breakwater near the other ship. The later departing ship passengers were thusly able to safely disembark from the the tenders and reboard their ship.

Seems to me the names are purely marketing names and not geographic names. Half-Moon Cay shows (via GoogleEarth) as being the island of Little San Salvador and Coco Cay shows as Little Stirup Cay, part of Barry Islands at the end of Grand Stirup Cay - where NCL has private beach so Coco and Grand Stirup are close enough (about a mile) for ships to look like they are at the same island but there is water between. Carnival's Half-Moon and Coco are 150 miles (as the seagull flies) apart.

You are correct about the names being marketing names.

In regards to the RCCL and NCL islands and their closeness. There was an interesting incident that happened several years ago.

RCCL and NCL had ships at their respective private islands. One was scheduled to leave earlier than the other. The earlier ship's passengers were on-board, and the ship was ready to leave. The other ship was still tendering their passengers back to the ship when the seas got rough.

The Captains got on the radio to each other, and the earlier leaving ship moved over to act as a breakwater near the other ship. The later departing ship passengers were thusly able to safely disembark from the the tenders and reboard their ship.

Interesting story, thanks.

Archived