Snacks: Do you ever bring food with you?

KruzPrincess

I eat gluten free, and on my last cruise I took some gluten free cereal bars with me. I brought them with me when I left the ship in case I had trouble finding gluten free food. I was happy I had them, because at one beach I wasn't able to find enough gluten free food to buy to fill me up, so the cereal bar was a good supplement.

We always like to travel with nuts. We like to have cocktails on the balcony and its nice not to worry about what to bring back to the room. It's just there for whenever we want them. We also bring the type of nuts we enjoy the most.

I also bring raw almonds because a handful each day keeps me from getting leg cramps(high in magnesium). I have contacted UK immigration to make sure I can bring in my almonds from the US for my b2b next June. (They said yes) I don't want to have to worry about finding a place that carries them there before we board the ship.

We always like to travel with nuts. We like to have cocktails on the balcony and its nice not to worry about what to bring back to the room. It's just there for whenever we want them. We also bring the type of nuts we enjoy the most.

I also bring raw almonds because a handful each day keeps me from getting leg cramps(high in magnesium). I have contacted UK immigration to make sure I can bring in my almonds from the US for my b2b next June. (They said yes) I don't want to have to worry about finding a place that carries them there before we board the ship.

I didn't know that about almonds and leg cramps. Thanks.

I think I'll be on my way to the store in LA to get some nuts before I board the Sapphire Princess this week. Thanks for your responses.

Alawys have trailmix and peanut butter crackers when we are crusing to foreign ports that I am not too sure how the local food might be. Ate a lot of my "stash" on our last cruise from Singapore to Vancouver. Had a good many private tours that included lunch and just couldn't make myself eat the food. DH got a double helping of everything - someone had to eat what we paid for.:)

Yes' date=' they do on the Aussie ships, don't fret..... but we do our long cruises on US ships and they don't always have it! Why, l don't know :eek::D[/quote']

Phew, what a relief to read that ... thanks Billy and Charlie's Mum. :D

I am Coeliac (Celiac - Gluten Free) so I take on some GF rice crackers, GF cornflakes, GF Cookies as they do not have them on board, I have asked on board for these particular food items but never stocked to my knowledge. I do advise the line re diet, but I appreciate they cannot provide everything, so I am reasonable about it.

I have also taken on GF beer and last year on Coral Princess, doing Panama Canal cruise, I ordered a carton of GF Beer (Redbridge) from Princess and they put it on board for me at Fort Lauderdale. Good service.

Maybe I could bring on a few GF Pizza bases and get the Pizza Cook on board to make me a pizza now and then?

I'm also Celiac and Princess has done a fine job of stocking all kinds of Gluten free crackers, cookies, breads and yes… now beer. GF pizza has been offered for at least the last 3 years. I still take my own pre-packaged snack bars for excursions (where getting GF is iffy) and my own bread, which is much better than the one Princess uses. I've noticed more and more snacks being offered to me on recent cruises.. I think more passengers are showing up with our condition.

I agree with others that you certainly won't starve on a cruise ship without snacks, but sometimes it's good to have some crackers to tide you over. When I took my mom on a cruise we ended up scouring ports for chocolate because all the desserts on board were cake or cookies, no actual chocolate (and she's sort of addicted to the stuff :rolleyes:).

Have not read all the replies, but wanted to add that people bring snacks onboard for various reasons, and mine is that I am diabetic and require a specific type of snack. I bring high fiber bars and individual packages of almonds to take with me on excursions or just in my purse for the airport. It's not like I can just grab a couple of cookies - that is not a healthy snack for me. So yes, I bring snacks. Feel free to do the same, but just know that you cannot take food off the ship unless it is pre-packaged. If you bring on a large can of nuts for your in-cabin consumption, that is fine, but you can't take it on and off the ship at ports. If you need something to munch on in port, it should be in pre-packaged, unopened form.

Have fun. :)

I'm going on a 14 day cruise next week and I went to the store to day to pick up some odds and ends. I really like nuts and I started wondering if I could go for 14 days without nuts. I talked myself out of buying some, but I'm pretty sure I'll be searching for nuts in the gift shop. I know I've seen chips and candy there. Nuts? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I guess I could go look for them in port if I had to. I'm going to Hawaii, so I know there will be macadmia nuts there. I feel silly thinking about bringing food on a cruise ship. Is there anyone who brings food with them?

I took some packaged pb crackers with me. It was a snack I knew I liked and easy to carry around in ports. Basically just something to tide me over until I could get a meal.

This time I'm intending on bringing a huuuuuuge amount of snacks on the ship.

Cause I'm heading straight back to NZ after my cruise and want to load up on my fav American goodies, the hard to find here sort.

This time I'm intending on bringing a huuuuuuge amount of snacks on the ship.

Cause I'm heading straight back to NZ after my cruise and want to load up on my fav American goodies, the hard to find here sort.

From watching TV (Nothing to Declare), I had the impression that pretty much all food from elsewhere was banned from entering New Zealand. So there are things you can bring back? What are your favourite "exotic" American goodies? I adore candy corn.

Yes, we bring snacks with us. It is nice to have granola bars and nuts to take off the ship with you when you have a long day in port ahead of you. Just off the 14 day to Hawaii on Golden (10/24- 11/7)and I know I wasn't the only one that brought snacks from home. I did observe something interesting, though. We were eating our lunch at Horizon court and we observed someone who had obviously picked up the entire bowl of pistachios at the salad bar and taken it to her table. She pulled a ziplock bag out of her purse and poured the entire bowl into the bag. People are amazing. We love sitting on our balcony with a glass of wine and enjoying our favorite crunchy Chinese cracker/nut mix to snack on.

Hi Jan - we were on the same cruise with you and I saw a lady pick up the whole tray of chocolate covered strawberries one evening in Horizon Court and take them back to her table (for only her and her husband). I actually saw passengers do a lot of things on that trip that were pretty amazing to me. I agree with you though, we enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony with some snacks and since DH is allergic (severely) to nuts - we are very, very careful what we select from Horizon Court. So, it is easier for us to bring our own "snacks". Small containers of Pringles, cheese crackers and this time we brought along the small individual containers of dips and peanut butter.

I can't believe someone would be so blatant!

I usually bring a bag of M&Ms (or something similar, depending on time of year) and granola or protein bars to take with us on excursions.

We bring a large (Family size) bag of peanut M&M's, just to have a few while we're in our cabin. But, between my DW & I, they're usually gone by about the second or third day of the cruise.:( We've yet to make a bag last all week.

I've brought things such as granola bars and individual packets of nuts and fruit to take with us on excursions. For our cruise tour to Alaska, I brought enough breakfast items that we did not have to purchase breakfast on the land portion. That saved us a lot of money.

Archived