Renting a car to the port?

kwagmyre

I have seen a few reviews where people will rent a minivan to drive to the port. My question is, how can this be done affordably?

So far research has indicated that to either rent a car, and drop off in another city is actually more expensive than just renting it for the week we are on the cruise and returning to the original city. But even that seems to cost like $800.

At that price, we could almost fly. What am I missing here?

If it's a family of say two adults and two children, the airline tickets with the additional baggage charges, could add up to a lot more than the $800 for the mini van rental. Then again, you have to add on the gasoline charges for the trip.

There are also the people that are afraid to fly or the ones that don't want to put the additional miles on their own vehicle. Especially the ones that have leased their vehicles and don't want the additional miles on them.

I have seen a few reviews where people will rent a minivan to drive to the port. My question is, how can this be done affordably?

So far research has indicated that to either rent a car, and drop off in another city is actually more expensive than just renting it for the week we are on the cruise and returning to the original city. But even that seems to cost like $800.

You don't mention where you are from. That can make a difference in the answers you get.

Also, a one way rental will avoid the $100+ it costs to park at PE. for a week. Don't forget to add in the cost of fuel/meals/overnight stays. Before long you can afford to fly in a day early, stay overnight near the ship and have a relaxing morning before you board.

Flying might be good! :)

So you'd be looking at about $400 per person to fly, vs. a 14 hour drive.

Assuming that you would fly in one night before the cruise, you'd have the same one hotel night if you broke the drive up into two days, arriving the morning of the cruise departure.

Therefore, your comparison is the relative cost of a hotel room along the road vs. at Miami, plus the cost of gas, tolls, parking, and car rental (if you choose to rent) round trip, vs. approximately $800 to fly.

If you get about 20 miles to the gallon, gas to travel 1,800 miles will cost approximately $300 - $350. I know there are tolls roads in Florida, and possibly elsewhere along your route, so throw in $50 for tolls. If using your own car, parking of $100. Leaving aside the issue of wear and tear on your own car, driving your own car costs about $400 less than flying (assumes $100 for transfers on both ends in the flying option).

If you can rent a car for the week for less than $400, or two one way rentals for less than $500 (because with two one ways you avoid the parking fees in Miami), you'd break even (not accounting for your own time, which should be worth something in this comparison).

If you rent with Avis, pickup at TYS and drop off at MIA, the rate is $358.65.

If you rent with Avis, pickup at TYS and drop off at MIA, the rate is $358.65.

Yes, but I believe that's just one way though, right? I have to get back home, too. ;) So really, at double that, flying is still probably not cheaper, but certainly competitive. It's 2 adults, 3 kids. Without baggage fees, flying would probably be a no-brainer. Allegiant can do $66 apiece one-way from Knox to Ft. Lauderdale. But their baggage fees are a deal-killer. Too bad we don't have Southwest here.

So you'd be looking at about $400 per person to fly, vs. a 14 hour drive.

Assuming that you would fly in one night before the cruise, you'd have the same one hotel night if you broke the drive up into two days, arriving the morning of the cruise departure.

Therefore, your comparison is the relative cost of a hotel room along the road vs. at Miami, plus the cost of gas, tolls, parking, and car rental (if you choose to rent) round trip, vs. approximately $800 to fly.

If you get about 20 miles to the gallon, gas to travel 1,800 miles will cost approximately $300 - $350. I know there are tolls roads in Florida, and possibly elsewhere along your route, so throw in $50 for tolls. If using your own car, parking of $100. Leaving aside the issue of wear and tear on your own car, driving your own car costs about $400 less than flying (assumes $100 for transfers on both ends in the flying option).

If you can rent a car for the week for less than $400, or two one way rentals for less than $500 (because with two one ways you avoid the parking fees in Miami), you'd break even (not accounting for your own time, which should be worth something in this comparison).

I think Allegiant would be a bit cheaper on the flights, but add in the baggage fees and I am probably at least back to your $800 estimate, yes. Another factor is that I have family in Miami, so I wouldn't have transfer fees if I flew, or parking fees if I drove. Driving my own car is certainly cheaper, but yes the wear and tear is a consideration as it is older, and I don't want to take any chances.

So yes, it looks like flying and driving a rental are pretty close in comparison. Not accounting for the time cost factor as you point out. But, a van rental would allow us to overpack, since we have two cabins and five people, so that is pretty much the plan. Since 3 are kids and the wife is a bit of a clotheshorse, I don't think travelling lite is a realistic option for us.

I am going to have to put her on a pretty strict luggage diet if we do Alaska next summer...

I would only drive to and from a port if it was less than 0-6 hours away...longer than that, it's flying for me! The time...the cost of gas...sounds ok for the trip TO port...but coming home...what a pain that would be!

After our cruise is over, I want to get home NOW! Driving more than 6 hours is a no-go for me!

I think Allegiant would be a bit cheaper on the flights, but add in the baggage fees and I am probably at least back to your $800 estimate, yes. Another factor is that I have family in Miami, so I wouldn't have transfer fees if I flew, or parking fees if I drove. Driving my own car is certainly cheaper, but yes the wear and tear is a consideration as it is older, and I don't want to take any chances.

So yes, it looks like flying and driving a rental are pretty close in comparison. Not accounting for the time cost factor as you point out. But, a van rental would allow us to overpack, since we have two cabins and five people, so that is pretty much the plan. Since 3 are kids and the wife is a bit of a clotheshorse, I don't think travelling lite is a realistic option for us.

I am going to have to put her on a pretty strict luggage diet if we do Alaska next summer...

Obviously with five people the financial analysis is strongly in favor of driving, even with the cost of a rented vehicle.

Now you need to start thinking about things that will make those 14 hours bearable for everyone in the car.

Yes, but I believe that's just one way though, right? I have to get back home, too. ;) So really, at double that, flying is still probably not cheaper, but certainly competitive. It's 2 adults, 3 kids. Without baggage fees, flying would probably be a no-brainer. Allegiant can do $66 apiece one-way from Knox to Ft. Lauderdale. But their baggage fees are a deal-killer. Too bad we don't have Southwest here.

You could fly Frontier from Knoxville to Orlando, then possibly rent a car from Orlando to Miami, or pick up a connection in Orlando to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

It comes down to a cost/benefit tradeoff.

There is not a "one size fits all" answer.

In some situations it pays to rent a car to drive to the port, and in other situations it doesn't.

At some locations there is a hefty drop charge for a one-way rental, and at other locations there is not.

In some cases it pays to do one rental for the entire time and leave the car parked while you are on the cruise. In other cases it is better to do two one-way rentals.

Many people like to rent a car on vacation to avoid putting the wear and tear on their own car, or so they can travel in a more comfortable vehicle than they have at home.

But a major reason to rent a car for a vacation trip is that if you drive your own car and it develops problems along the way, you are stuck with it and you are responsible for getting it repaired. In some cases you may be stuck out in a remote area and the repair may require parts that are not readily available.

However, if you rent from a major rental car company and the vehicle develops a problem of any kind, it is not your problem.

You just call their toll free 800 number, they bring you out another car, and you continue on your way.

It comes down to a cost/benefit tradeoff.

There is not a "one size fits all" answer.

In some situations it pays to rent a car to drive to the port, and in other situations it doesn't.

At some locations there is a hefty drop charge for a one-way rental, and at other locations there is not.

In some cases it pays to do one rental for the entire time and leave the car parked while you are on the cruise. In other cases it is better to do two one-way rentals.

Many people like to rent a car on vacation to avoid putting the wear and tear on their own car, or so they can travel in a more comfortable vehicle than they have at home.

But a major reason to rent a car for a vacation trip is that if you drive your own car and it develops problems along the way, you are stuck with it and you are responsible for getting it repaired. In some cases you may be stuck out in a remote area and the repair may require parts that are not readily available.

However, if you rent from a major rental car company and the vehicle develops a problem of any kind, it is not your problem.

You just call their toll free 800 number, they bring you out another car, and you continue on your way.

If your rental develops problems on the road, be prepared to call he 800 number and NOT be happy with the service. I waited 2 hrs for a jump after finding out that my car ad a short in it and a dead battery in an airport lot. Luckily, the lot offered free jumping or I'd sill be there. When you call that toll free number for roadside assistance, you are calling a contract agency, not the rental company.

If your rental develops problems on the road, be prepared to call he 800 number and NOT be happy with the service. I waited 2 hrs for a jump after finding out that my car ad a short in it and a dead battery in an airport lot. Luckily, the lot offered free jumping or I'd sill be there. When you call that toll free number for roadside assistance, you are calling a contract agency, not the rental company.
Waiting a few hours for them to bring you a replacement rental car certainly beats being stuck out in the middle of nowhere for 4 days waiting for some local company there to try to get parts for your own car.

When a company like Hertz or Avis gives you an 800 number to call, it is a central number from which they farm the contract out to a local company close to wherever you happen to be.

It is not realistic to expect the response to be instantaneous, but if you are not satisfied with the service you get, you can call back to let them know and they can send someone else to take care of you.

Of course there is always the possibility of bad service or slow response anywhere. But the important point is that you are not stuck there, and you are not in the vulnerable position of being overcharged for service in an unfamiliar location, as often happens to people who run into such problems when driving their own cars.

Worst case, you can just leave the rental car where it is, let them know, and make other plans.

If you have to be stuck anywhere with a car that doesn't start, an airport lot would be a good place to have it happen if you are in a hurry because if you had a serious problem, you could just leave the car there, rent another one, and continue on your way.

But if you only need a jump start, you can get that from anyone.

Even if you have to pay for it, you just let the rental company know, save the receipt, and they deduct the cost from your bill or refund you the amount.

Archived