Location & past Cruises

e150club

The Mod's moved it from CCL boards. Thats where I wanted to get responses from.

I'm guessing you originally posted this thread in the Carnival forum. And I'm guessing the mods thought this was a general question, rather than one specific to Carnival.

Many people want to be general in their location or they don't feel it's any one else's business what city they are from.

As far as cruise history, I do like to see that as it adds an air of credibility when someone posts about a particular ship, cruiseline, itinerary or cruising issue. For example, there was someone who had never been on a cruise, but shortly after joining CC would post as if she was knowledgeable. Apparently she would read a person's post and then post elsewhere as if an authority. But someone else who has been on several Carnival cruises could be good at answering questions about Carnival...but most likely not be too helpful in answering specific questions about Cunard if they haven't sailed on that line.

But not everyone sees the need to post their past cruising history. Maybe they've been on several cruises (there are members here who have been on other 50 cruises) which would be a lot to list, or else they feel it's boastful to list their cruises.

I'm guessing you originally posted this thread in the Carnival forum. And I'm guessing the mods thought this was a general question' date=' rather than one specific to Carnival.

Many people want to be general in their location or they don't feel it's any one else's business what city they are from.

As far as cruise history, I do like to see that as it adds an air of credibility when someone posts about a particular ship, cruiseline, itinerary or cruising issue. For example, there was someone who had never been on a cruise, but shortly after joining CC would post as if she was knowledgeable. Apparently she would read a person's post and then post elsewhere as if an authority. But someone else who has been on several Carnival cruises could be good at answering questions about Carnival...but most likely not be too helpful in answering specific questions about Cunard if they haven't sailed on that line.

But not everyone sees the need to post their past cruising history. Maybe they've been on several cruises (there are members here who have been on other 50 cruises) which would be a lot to list, or else they feel it's boastful to list their cruises.[/quote']

Agree with your last statement. Think it is boastful so I don't bother with listing my cruises.

I'm one of those who signed on years ago and didn't feel like listing where I am from -- and I have never bothered to change it. That's just me.

As for cruises -- it would take me forever to list them in my signature and I don't think there are really that many people who cares what ship, where we have cruised, when, etc.

I prefer to keep some privacy, so I don't list my from location.

With regards to signatures, I actually have the setting configured to not display signatures, so I don't even see what everyone else puts in theirs, so why would I populate mine?

On that note though, I do have a pet peeve of people that cut and paste their posts offline and automatically paste their signature as part of their post. Makes the thread too long, IMHO.

Many do not want to share history or information about themselves.

Keith

I do not see how anyone could possibly figure out exactly where you live unless you are in a town where the welcome to and you are livng sign are on the same pole :D.

Many people, even residents of my county, have no idea where Erial is, much less figuring out how to find me.

As for cruises completed I do not consider it boasting but something that gives added credibility to advice and comments made on these boards. If you have a great many cruises under your belt, maybe just listing how many on each line helps in evaluating the credibility of your posts.

We started cruising in the mid 80's. I lost track of how many cruises/ships we've been on. When we both worked it was one a year. This year we've been on 11 cruises and have New Year's booked. We are true cruise-a-holics! Last year we were on 7 cruises.

I used to list the cruise lines, not ships as that would take up too much room. Five of the cruise lines no longer exist- Dolphin, Premier, Commador, Regent and Cape Canaveral Cruise Line.

Carnival has become a favorite because of the variety of passengers and ages. We are Diamond on Carnival with 269 days and the 4 1/2 hour drive to Charleston, SC for the Carnival Fantasy is so easy we cruise her a lot.

Am I an expert? Who knows? Been on many ships, some many times and have some great stories about cruising and on one ship the captain took us to his cabin for a visit with him.

I don't have the town we live in, just the area, the NC coast. Once someone contacted me who's husband managed a favorite restaurant of ours, they live close and she had questions about a 1st cruise. We ended up talking on the phone!

I tend to assume people believe what I tell them. If they don't, it's their problem not mine. So I don't need to justify myself with a long list of cruises, besides which I have no inclination to trawl through 20 years of diaries to find out where I've been.

I've just never bothered.

I will tell you now, I have been on 25 cruises, 8 different lines so far. I live in Mission Viejo, CA. Does any of it make a difference?

I never considered the credibility, the post counts, or where a person is from when reading posts. The long lists of cruises people post...I just scroll right by them.

I'm also guilty of not Facebooking, Twittering or any other social media, I just don't care to put that information about myself online. If I want to contact a friend I'll call or email them. Is CC social media? I have no idea.

<snip>

As for cruises -- it would take me forever to list them in my signature and I don't think there are really that many people who cares what ship, where we have cruised, when, etc.

Ditto......

We've been on well over 90 cruises.

Does anyone really care to read the list? :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt it. :D

A cruiser's past voyages can very occasionally be useful, demonstrates that they've had good (or nil) experience of a given ship or cruise line. Wouldn't help with me - mebbe I'm a Jonah, a lot of ships I've cruised have changed hands, been scrapped, gone bust, etc. None, to date, have sunk ;)

But a poster's vague location is invaluable - this is an international forum and so many factors are different according to a poster's location & nationality - visas, passports, insurance, currency exchange, travel to port, etc.

Many times I've seen advice given which is correct for the advisor but totally incorrect for the questioner's location/nationality. Often only noticed from clues in the questioner's posts on other threads.

JB :)

It seems many people tend to not put their hometown location or past cruise history in their signature. Why? I like to see where people come from and what cruises they have been on.

It's just a matter of how people like to personalize their profiles and posts. Some do nothing, some display history, and some display their loyalty status. I like to see histories also, and in no way do I see it as bragging. People who feel that way can turn off signatures. After all, this is supposed to be "A Community of People Who Love To Cruise." :)

Enjoy my signature.....;)

Thank's for all your responses. The reason I asked the ? last night was because, Someone on the CCL boards posts some rude answers with no location or past cruise history made me wonder where this person is from. I have seen many people putting "Too many to list " or just upcomming cruises in their sig.

But a poster's vague location is invaluable - this is an international forum and so many factors are different according to a poster's location & nationality - visas, passports, insurance, currency exchange, travel to port, etc.

Many times I've seen advice given which is correct for the advisor but totally incorrect for the questioner's location/nationality. Often only noticed from clues in the questioner's posts on other threads.

I agree about the location. It can be very helpful in many ways. One does not have to be specific. Even mentioning state or country can be enough.

I have only cruised to Alaska and I spend a lot of time on the Alaska board. I like to show that I live in the Seattle area so that people cruising out of Seattle know they can ask me questions. Others on that board who live in AK or Vancouver area will show that so people know they can ask them questions and trust their answers. Same reason for showing my cruise history - 5 Alaskan cruises means I may know more than someone who has never been, but not nearly as much as people who have been 20+ times! Just don't trust anything I say about Caribbean cruises since I've never been on one! LOL! :D

Having been on close to 150 cruises over the past 40 years, I'd think most folks couldn't care less what ships/itineraries I've been on. I do think including your location is helpful, especially if you are asking a ? about air travel, cruise departure cities, etc. IE: which airport to fly to, what airline, etc. For instance, if you live in Columbus Ohio, someone else from that area would be more of an "expert" as to what airline, creative routing to maybe reduce the price, who flies non-stop, price etc might be something you'd want to check out, especially since every airline does NOT fly to/from every city. And since we have a number of members who do not reside in the USA, it would seem even more important. Obviously, if you lived in the UK, British Airways service would be information you could use whilst Delta service from Columbus is useless.

I'm one of those who signed on years ago and didn't feel like listing where I am from -- and I have never bothered to change it. That's just me.

:D DITTO :D

LuLu

~~~~

Thank's for all your responses. The reason I asked the ? last night was because, Someone on the CCL boards posts some rude answers with no location or past cruise history made me wonder where this person is from. I have seen many people putting "Too many to list " or just upcomming cruises in their sig.

Find one of their posts & click on their name - this will bring up their profile (though probably equally anonymous) and all their posts - you might get a few clues.

Find one of their posts & click on their name - this will bring up their profile (though probably equally anonymous) and all their posts - you might get a few clues.

Empty profile. It's not so important any more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived