Those on Monarch 12/21.. don't expect to stop at CoCo Cay

Loyal2RCCL

We're on Majesty now and after stopping at CoCoCay this morning the Captain just announced the seas and wind are too high to make tendering safe. Which is no surprise given the fact that the ship was really rocking and rolling last night. We are about to leave and instead we will spend a day at sea. Monarch is sailing off our Starboard side now, and unless the conditions improve you should not expect to make your Port Call at CoCoCay tomorrow.

Capt.Dustin told us we will arrive into Nassau tonight, rather than tomorrow morning.

And if the temperatures are as cold as they are in Florida right now, it won't be too busy anyway. Who wants to go to the beach with your winter coat on?:)

Just wondering

How cold is it?

Right now it is 21 F where we live.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

I think that he is a frustrated writer of the notes inside fortune cookies!!!!!:D

Yeah good one!:)

I'm still trying to comprehend all of the wisdom...

"The moon is for lovers, not navigators"

He sure does beat the majority of captains...

"I am pleased to say we are at longitude 54.7, latitude 33.6, sailing at 17.47 knots."

Uh, sure, so happy to hear about our longitude!

It wasn't too cold onboard, but that was mainly due to us coasting along at 9 knots.. Temp was 74 degrees and not windy. However, once the sun started to set, the wind picked up and it got chilly. We circled Nassau until a few ships departed, then we pulled in around 7pm. We'll have an overnight here and leave at our normal time tomorrow at 5pm. Some people have gone ashore to explore Nassau's nightlife.. most stayed onboard and are waiting for tonights Pool Deck party at 1130pm.

The cruise has been great so far.. the ship is in excellent shape, and of course the crew is excellent. We decided to just do the WJ for all meals, as we're hopping on Vision for the 11 night Southern Caribbean when we get back on Monday, and in order not to have to unpack all of clothes, we're staying casual and living out of the suitcases for these quick 3 nights.

We've taken a few cruises on NCL and experienced the same thing....just too windy to stop at their private island.

We did manage to stop there once and although we enjoyed it, the weather still was too cold for us....We live in Florida and just think Nassau isn't warm enough in December for us.

Barbara

Wow... a RCI cruise in the Caribbean that skips Coco Cay

OH WAIT... that is every cruise for me! I haven't stopped there yet!

You and me both! :D I'm 0 for 4. I've resigned myself to the belief that Coco Cay is an imaginary island and the reviews are a hoax perpetrated upon the uninformed by the informed. ;)

We made it to Coco Cay last March, just barely. It was cool, rainy and windy. It was a choppy ride over and a rainy choppier ride back. No thanks. I'll take the pier at Labadee anytime over Coco. We missed Grand Cayman our one and only attempt there.

Every time I read others experiences on tender ports I keep crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. I thought FOR SURE on my recent cruise last month that stopped in GC that my good luck would run out since my whole family was onboard. That morning I kept looking outside as it had rained all night and it was very wavy. Much to my surprise, when we anchored, the tenders were running!

My count so far:

Coco Cay: 4 for 4

Great Stirrup Cay: 3 for 3

Grand Cayman: 3 for 3

Cozumel: 2 for 2 (back when we used to have to tender into Coz--but it was nice being dropped off at the downtown pier)

Belize: 1 for 1

St. Thomas: 1 for 1 (on SS Norway and had to tender)

Every time I read others experiences on tender ports I keep crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. I thought FOR SURE on my recent cruise last month that stopped in GC that my good luck would run out since my whole family was onboard. That morning I kept looking outside as it had rained all night and it was very wavy. Much to my surprise, when we anchored, the tenders were running!

My count so far:

Coco Cay: 4 for 4

Great Stirrup Cay: 3 for 3

Grand Cayman: 3 for 3

Cozumel: 2 for 2 (back when we used to have to tender into Coz--but it was nice being dropped off at the downtown pier)

Belize: 1 for 1

St. Thomas: 1 for 1 (on SS Norway and had to tender)

Grand Cayman has more to do with which direction the wind/waves are and less to do with the fact there are waves. When the wind comes into the port, it makes it too dangerous to tender (this from Captain Rob on Freedom last year when we missed the port) and happens more certain times of the year due to fronts.

Archived