Alternatives to flying into Venice for RT cruise = less flight segs, better lodging?

mikeerdas

Booking a RT Venice cruise from the U.S. the flight routings seem really lousy (too many plane changes). Probably because Venice is such a small place, there are less non-stop flights to it from the U.S.

Would anyone recommend flying into a larger airport (Milan? Florance? Munich? Somewhere in Switzerland?) and taking the train to/from Venice? Or flying into one larger airport and out of another large one, again connecting by train? I guess train strikes could be an issue there. But if I remember correctly, these are typically announced in advance.

Also, I'm thinking accommodations in Venice itself may be a bit dicey selection-wise and/or relatively more expensive than in other cities. We typically like to fly in a day or two before a cruise and explore. Would anyone recommend overnighting in another city, then seeing Venice during the day before our cruise? Or probably better, seeing Venice the day the cruise ends, then taking a later afternoon / evening / or overnight train out?

Wondering what the most solid and/or easiest train connections are from Venice to other major city airports. Might be nice to add in a "two-fer" before or after our cruise this way. Would love to see Alps, for example. Love mountain regions.

You could fly into Rome, then train to Venice. It is about 4.5 hours by train. Or, as we will be doing soon, flying to Frankfurt and connecting. Other cities, such as Swiss cities, will involve changing trains, and dragging cruise luggage all over the place.

There aren't non-stops from the US to a lot of cities. Don't let that stop you from exploring.

You could fly into Rome, then train to Venice. It is about 4.5 hours by train. Or, as we will be doing soon, flying to Frankfurt and connecting. Other cities, such as Swiss cities, will involve changing trains, and dragging cruise luggage all over the place.

There aren't non-stops from the US to a lot of cities. Don't let that stop you from exploring.

Thanks Bruce. Rome's a good option, especially if there is, like you say, non-stop service between Rome and Venice. We've been wanting to return to Rome some day. Although changing trains seems potentially a lot easier / less hassle than making a connecting flight. Any other good city options? Always wanted to see Bavaria. That would mean flying into or out of Munich. And most definitely some train changes. Lugging luggage is a pain, but we typically only travel with carry-ons. So it's something we're used to.

Milan seems like it could be easy. There's probably nothing in Milan that would interest us (we're not into shopping, fashion, etc). But there seem to be interesting places to visit on the train route between Milan and Venice like Verona, Padua, etc.

Can anyone speak to Florence as another possible option?

Florence is another tiny airport, with a very short landing strip, so there are no big planes (transatlantic) going in there. The international airport for that region is Pisa, but there are very few direct flights from the States to Pisa. For direct flights between the States and Italy, it's mostly Milan and Rome.

The closest big airport with lots of direct flights from the US is Milan. There are things to see/do there (the Last Supper being the most well known) that could fill your arrival afternoon and evening.

Thanks Bruce. Rome's a good option, especially if there is, like you say, non-stop service between Rome and Venice. We've been wanting to return to Rome some day. Although changing trains seems potentially a lot easier / less hassle than making a connecting flight. Any other good city options? Always wanted to see Bavaria. That would mean flying into or out of Munich. And most definitely some train changes. Lugging luggage is a pain, but we typically only travel with carry-ons. So it's something we're used to.

Milan seems like it could be easy. There's probably nothing in Milan that would interest us (we're not into shopping, fashion, etc). But there seem to be interesting places to visit on the train route between Milan and Venice like Verona, Padua, etc.

Can anyone speak to Florence as another possible option?

For Munich looks like there are non stop trains - almost 7 hours - someone else might know if it's scenic though. http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Planning a land trip in Germany in May so Bahn website is in my favorites right now. :)

Don't know where you are coming from but Delta has a non-stop from Atlanta to Munich. Lufthansa probably has a few from other cities.

we usually fly into London, overnight, then fly to Venice on Easy Jet or some budget airline. Last time we decided to go straight thru and flew JFK-Paris-Venice.

Lodging is much cheaper in Mestre, which is just across the bridge from Venice. Stay near the Mestre train station and you can ride the train into Venice for 1 or 2 E.

As others have mentioned, the OP needs to expand their thinking about Europe. One can easily turn a cruise into a cruise/land trip by flying into and out of other places (with open jaw fares you do not need to use the same airport for both flights). However, when it comes to Venice there is an excellent (and popular) daily USAIR nonstop flight out of Philadelphia. Since Phila is a Southwest Airlines airport, many folks can take advantage of SW to get to Phila as an alternative to booking through a single airline.

So lets think out of the box. For example: You could book round trip on USAIR (from Phila) but fly into Rome and home from Venice (no penalty for this booking since it is within the "open jaw" guidelines). When you arrive at FCO you could pick-up a rental car at the airport and spend a few days (or weeks) driving through Italy (we love driving trips in Italy). You then drop your car at Venice (Autoeurope and Kemwel can arrange one-way rentals from Hertz or Europcar with no drop fees), take the 1 Euro People Mover over to the port, and take your cruise. This is just one idea...and we could right a book with other options.

Hank

Thanks to all for the great info.

The flights to Europe will have to be on United or its partner airlines in the Star Alliance since we are booking award travel tickets. Otherwise, cost would bust our budget and force us to cancel the cruise.

If you end up in Bavaria (Lufthansa is Star Alliance) - you might want to also check the Bavarian pass rail tickets for the days you spend there. http://www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm Also good to for trips to Salzburg.

BTW for Bahn tickets to Venice - they start offering "saver fares" about 2 to 3 months before travel. Again, someone else more familiar with German rail could probably enlighten as to when they start the saver fares.

For Munich looks like there are non stop trains - almost 7 hours - someone else might know if it's scenic though. http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Planning a land trip in Germany in May so Bahn website is in my favorites right now. :)

Don't know where you are coming from but Delta has a non-stop from Atlanta to Munich. Lufthansa probably has a few from other cities.

That's what we are doing next summer, flying into Munich for five days then taking the train to Venice. The train ride is supposed to be very scenic.

Thanks to all for the great info.

The flights to Europe will have to be on United or its partner airlines in the Star Alliance since we are booking award travel tickets. Otherwise, cost would bust our budget and force us to cancel the cruise.

Us Airways flies non-stop to Venice from Philadelphia - we went last year Phx to Philly - then to Venice - it was easy!

That's what we are doing next summer, flying into Munich for five days then taking the train to Venice. The train ride is supposed to be very scenic.

Thanks buggins0402, Langoustine, and D4 (and all others who've replied).

Buggins, I will follow-up on the rail info. Thanks for that.

D4, we'll try to do what you suggest and spend at least one night in Venice. That would very likely be on the night when we disembark, since we fly home the next day. Any hotel suggestions near the city center for... well, USD $150 or less per night would be great. Don't know how realistic that is (or isn't). My wife and I are light sleepers and really only want a clean and quiet place (with its own bathroom). Don't need anything too fancy. When we were in Rome for a cruise, we stayed at Hotel Italia off Via Venezia (or Via ****onale) near Termini from recommendations here on CC. That was just perfect for us and don't think we paid more than 100 euro to stay there. We could walk to the Forum, Coliseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc. And it was set down a side street away from the noise of the main street.

Kirk, sounds great! We're in Raleigh too. Decided to rebook and got the following routing (United Economy Saver award tickets):

Departing flights:

One less flight segment than what we originally had. And I've enjoyed traveling Air Canada to Europe before:

* RDU > YYZ (Toronto) on Air Canada

* YYZ > MUC (Munich) on Air Canada

Return flights:

Same number of flight segments home as we originally had.

* VCE (Venice) > FRA (Frankfurt) on Lufthansa

* FRA > YYZ on Lufthansa

* YYZ > RDU on Air Canada

Not really too interested in Munich per se. No "must do's" I can think of (other than a good local beer garden possibly). But it makes sense as a starting point to get to Bavaria and then on to Venice via Switzerland.

We only have 3 nights max before embarkation day. Late morning when we fly in (Wed) we'll probably be too tired to want to do (much) more transit. Maybe we could find a hotel with interesting things to see within walking distance? Any parts of town anyone would recommend? So the day wouldn't be a complete loss. Or we'd at least have the option of seeing something.

The day after (Thu) should probably be a Bavaria Day, with the focus being Ludwig's castles. Wondering whether to do this as a day trip--either renting a car, taking a train, or doing a bus tour. Then also stay the second night in Munich. Or to overnight in a place like Fussen.

The third day (Fri), we need to either get to Italy or possibly overnight somewhere in Switzerland that is on the train route from Munich to Venice. From what I can tell, there aren't any trains from Fussen to Venice. Would be nice to travel on from Fussen so we don't have to backtrack to Munich. Any advice there? Would love to visit a town in the Alps and possibly do a short hike or ride a tram, etc.

Embarkation in Venice is on a Saturday. Not sure whether we should move things up and be sure to overnight in Venice on Friday to be ready to board ship. Or if it's worthwhile to linger in Switzerland and make the train journey to Venice on Sat morning from Switzerland. I typically feel more comfortable overnighting in the port town the night before embarkation. But I'm not sure I want to skip either the castles in Bavaria or Switzerland.

Thanks buggins0402, Langoustine, and D4 (and all others who've replied).

Buggins, I will follow-up on the rail info. Thanks for that.

D4, we'll try to do what you suggest and spend at least one night in Venice. That would very likely be on the night when we disembark, since we fly home the next day. Any hotel suggestions near the city center for... well, USD $150 or less per night would be great. Don't know how realistic that is (or isn't). My wife and I are light sleepers and really only want a clean and quiet place (with its own bathroom). Don't need anything too fancy. When we were in Rome for a cruise, we stayed at Hotel Italia off Via Venezia (or Via ****onale) near Termini from recommendations here on CC. That was just perfect for us and don't think we paid more than 100 euro to stay there. We could walk to the Forum, Coliseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc. And it was set down a side street away from the noise of the main street.

Kirk, sounds great! We're in Raleigh too. Decided to rebook and got the following routing (United Economy Saver award tickets):

Departing flights:

One less flight segment than what we originally had. And I've enjoyed traveling Air Canada to Europe before:

* RDU > YYZ (Toronto) on Air Canada

* YYZ > MUC (Munich) on Air Canada

Return flights:

Same number of flight segments home as we originally had.

* VCE (Venice) > FRA (Frankfurt) on Lufthansa

* FRA > YYZ on Lufthansa

* YYZ > RDU on Air Canada

Not really too interested in Munich per se. No "must do's" I can think of (other than a good local beer garden possibly). But it makes sense as a starting point to get to Bavaria and then on to Venice via Switzerland.

We only have 3 nights max before embarkation day. Late morning when we fly in (Wed) we'll probably be too tired to want to do (much) more transit. Maybe we could find a hotel with interesting things to see within walking distance? Any parts of town anyone would recommend? So the day wouldn't be a complete loss. Or we'd at least have the option of seeing something.

The day after (Thu) should probably be a Bavaria Day, with the focus being Ludwig's castles. Wondering whether to do this as a day trip--either renting a car, taking a train, or doing a bus tour. Then also stay the second night in Munich. Or to overnight in a place like Fussen.

The third day (Fri), we need to either get to Italy or possibly overnight somewhere in Switzerland that is on the train route from Munich to Venice. From what I can tell, there aren't any trains from Fussen to Venice. Would be nice to travel on from Fussen so we don't have to backtrack to Munich. Any advice there? Would love to visit a town in the Alps and possibly do a short hike or ride a tram, etc.

Embarkation in Venice is on a Saturday. Not sure whether we should move things up and be sure to overnight in Venice on Friday to be ready to board ship. Or if it's worthwhile to linger in Switzerland and make the train journey to Venice on Sat morning from Switzerland. I typically feel more comfortable overnighting in the port town the night before embarkation. But I'm not sure I want to skip either the castles in Bavaria or Switzerland.

Munich is an easy jumping off point to what you want to see (from my research - haven't done it yet). Fussen is doable by train from Munich (then bus to castle). Car rentals are pretty inexpensive also. And, the cost of guided excursions from Munich to the castles are also not horridly expensive - I've looked at all the options. Funny though, we rented a Rick Steves video and Ludwigs castles weren't doing anything for us....so we'll probably do the Samantha Brown route and go to Mittenwald. Right now it looks like we're just going to stay in Munich and do day trips from there when we're in southern Germany (we're doing Berlin also).

You might try to go over to the Germany board on Tripadvisor with specific rail questions (ie Fussen to Venice via Switzerland).

Can understand the problems with using FF into Europe. Right now we're only as far as Amsterdam on our Delta "peso" miles. Flights and trains are cheap from there though.

With a cruise on top of Bavaria and Switzerland - you'll definitely have a nice time! Have fun planning!

Another possibility would be to take a night train between Munich/ Venice.There are different kinds of compartments - nicer ones to cheap ones , 1- 6 people. For example: you leave in the late eve from Munich and wake up short before Venice, drop your luggage at the ship and then explore the city. And if you fly in and out of Munich you could take a train at day time back to Munich to enjoy the scenery- it is beautiful!

In this situation I'd absolutely rent a car and drive myself to Venice. This gives you maximum flexibility to go where you want, when you want to. You can usually get a good deal on three or more days rentals through either AutoEurope or Kemwel, and you can drive to the cruise port to drop off your stuff, then return the car at Piazzale Roma (a mile away). After you've returned the car it's a quick ride on the People Mover back to the cruise port.

My take on airfare.

A. Can you get a ride to the airport for free (or will you have to drive and park or take a train there)?

B. Will you be forced to spend two nights at hotel and then take a train to the port?

C. If there is a layover- is this really going to impact your trip? Since most hotels aren't going to let you check in at 9AM- is it really that great to get there in the AM?

Here is what I'm doing PHL-MAD (saved $ 500 pp by doing this versus Barcelona). Now for the added expenses- roundtrip train tickets to PHL from Baltimore $120 pp. 2 nights hotel in Madrid $ 250, train ride one way to Barcelona $ 125 pp. Flight from Barcelona- Madrid $ 80 pp. Overnight at Madrid airport $ 120 Grand total= $770. Yes- it is slightly cheaper and I get three extra nights in Spain... but there is a trade off. It is more convenient to fly directly to Barcelona and board the ship and not have to fool with luggage, taxis, trains and extra plane rides. Had I flown from BWI to Barcelona- I'd have gotten a free ride from a family member to and from the airport and could have flown in and out of Barcelona with no necessary overnights.

In other words- before you try to save money by flying to Munich, Rome or Milan.. check out US Air non-stops to Venice. One way or another-you'll end up spending money.

My take on airfare.

A. Can you get a ride to the airport for free (or will you have to drive and park or take a train there)?

B. Will you be forced to spend two nights at hotel and then take a train to the port?

C. If there is a layover- is this really going to impact your trip? Since most hotels aren't going to let you check in at 9AM- is it really that great to get there in the AM?

Here is what I'm doing PHL-MAD (saved $ 500 pp by doing this versus Barcelona). Now for the added expenses- roundtrip train tickets to PHL from Baltimore $120 pp. 2 nights hotel in Madrid $ 250, train ride one way to Barcelona $ 125 pp. Flight from Barcelona- Madrid $ 80 pp. Overnight at Madrid airport $ 120 Grand total= $770. Yes- it is slightly cheaper and I get three extra nights in Spain... but there is a trade off. It is more convenient to fly directly to Barcelona and board the ship and not have to fool with luggage, taxis, trains and extra plane rides. Had I flown from BWI to Barcelona- I'd have gotten a free ride from a family member to and from the airport and could have flown in and out of Barcelona with no necessary overnights.

In other words- before you try to save money by flying to Munich, Rome or Milan.. check out US Air non-stops to Venice. One way or another-you'll end up spending money.

Last year instead of flying from BWi we got a better rate on Air France (through Paris) leaving from Dulles. Luckily we had a family member to drive/pick up from Dulles. The savings were several hundred dollars.

D4, we'll try to do what you suggest and spend at least one night in Venice. That would very likely be on the night when we disembark, since we fly home the next day. Any hotel suggestions near the city center for... well, USD $150 or less per night would be great. Don't know how realistic that is (or isn't). My wife and I are light sleepers and really only want a clean and quiet place (with its own bathroom). Don't need anything too fancy. ...

We spent a few nights in Venice earlier this month after a cruise. We stayed at Hotel Santa Chiara which is highly recommended on this board. It might be the only hotel that you can get to/from the cruise ship using the people mover monorail (1 euro per person) without going over any bridges. The train station is very close, but you have to go over a big bridge with your luggage. This hotel is located in Piazzale Roma which is the farthest place in Venice that land vehicles can go. Land buses go from that piazza to the airport every 30 minutes for only 6 euros per person. So it is a great location for cruisers even if you're also using the train station or Marco Polo airport.

We stayed there off-season so the rates were lower. Venice is a very expensive city and it easy easy to understand why once you spend some time there. Everything goes in and out by boat, even the laundry for every hotel. You might be able to justify the higher hotel cost because you wouldn't need expensive transportation to/from the cruise ship/train station/airport. Their rates also include breakfast which has a wide variety of items.

Booking a RT Venice cruise from the U.S. the flight routings seem really lousy (too many plane changes). Probably because Venice is such a small place, there are less non-stop flights to it from the U.S.

Would anyone recommend flying into a larger airport (Milan? Florance? Munich? Somewhere in Switzerland?) and taking the train to/from Venice? Or flying into one larger airport and out of another large one, again connecting by train? I guess train strikes could be an issue there. But if I remember correctly, these are typically announced in advance.

Also, I'm thinking accommodations in Venice itself may be a bit dicey selection-wise and/or relatively more expensive than in other cities. We typically like to fly in a day or two before a cruise and explore. Would anyone recommend overnighting in another city, then seeing Venice during the day before our cruise? Or probably better, seeing Venice the day the cruise ends, then taking a later afternoon / evening / or overnight train out?

Wondering what the most solid and/or easiest train connections are from Venice to other major city airports. Might be nice to add in a "two-fer" before or after our cruise this way. Would love to see Alps, for example. Love mountain regions.

I would much rather fly INTO Venice than out of Venice...it's a crazy airport but it's nice once you get through the lines to board...but it's a smooth arrival..

Personally, I can NEVER get enough overnights in Venice but if you plan to do so, book EARLY...prices really go up the closer you get to your date..

We flew out of the Venice Marco Polo airport a few weeks ago. We had read lots of horror stories, but it was a breeze. We did fly out a few days after our cruise ended and no ships disembarked that day, so that may have made the difference.

A few weeks ago would mean late November or early December, which is well out of the high tourist season and probably accounts for an easier time at the airport (lucky you!). My last flight from Venice was just after the new year (a couple of years ago) and it was crazy busy, even though there were no ships in sight.

I would much rather fly INTO Venice than out of Venice...it's a crazy airport but it's nice once you get through the lines to board...but it's a smooth arrival..

Personally, I can NEVER get enough overnights in Venice but if you plan to do so, book EARLY...prices really go up the closer you get to your date..

Thanks D4, OneVacationLover, and Euro Cruiser.

My cruise disembarks on a Saturday in May. Flight out of Marco Polo airport scheduled departure time is 10am the day after (Sunday). How early should I leave the hotel to make it for my flight? I'm thinking about a 6am check-out time. Will that be enough time to dodge whatever craziness there might be? Should I check-out at 5am? Is there even public transportation running this early on a Sunday in May?

Any other hotel recommendations for Venice? Or are there any good threads I should check out? (versus starting a new one). Also interested in hotel recommendations for either Munich or Fussen; and possibly somewhere along the train route between Munich and Venice in Switzerland (alps) worth visiting.

I'll take a look into renting a car though. That does sound very efficient for the short time I'll have pre-cruise.

Archived