Recently on Jewel?

Just curious about your experience. We just got off Oasis and KNOW this will be a huge difference but that's what we want. A little more relaxation this time. Have been on Brilliance but don't remember much about the ship. Is Jewel still in good shape and how was your time onboard. We always enjoy our time on any cruise but want to know any recommendations for this ship. Thanks for any input and Happy New Year to all! Deb

Jewel is our favorite ship and we were on her for the westbound transatlantic and the repositioning cruise from Boston to Tampa. Her physical condition is superb and her staff is among the very best and most friendly in the fleet. We were most recently on the Allure so the contrast between the two classes of ships is quite significant but we had wonderful times on both, If you don't spend a lot of time concentrating on the differences between the two classes of ships you should have an equally excellent time on both.:)

We sailed on the JOS for 4 sailings in December. The ship and staff are great. The only area we wish they would improve on is nightly entertainment. Schooner piano music can be very dull unless you get the guy on a good night. The performers in the Centrum are amazing! Dennis is the CD, but he is on vacation until January 5th. Steve is filling in for him which was a nice change up. He taught the guests the Thriller dance that we performed on the last night of each sailling. Overall cruise experience was good.

We sailed on the JOS for 4 sailings in December. The ship and staff are great. The only area we wish they would improve on is nightly entertainment. Schooner piano music can be very dull unless you get the guy on a good night. The performers in the Centrum are amazing! Dennis is the CD, but he is on vacation until January 5th. Steve is filling in for him which was a nice change up. He taught the guests the Thriller dance that we performed on the last night of each sailling. Overall cruise experience was good.

We were on the Jewel in December and truly enjoyed our cruise. We also had Steve D. as our CD and enjoyed his energy, youthfulness and we also joined in to do the Thriller Dance. His singing of "Shout" was amazing in the Farewell show! The rest of the staff was very helpful and seem to always have a smile on their face.

Thanks for the quick replies. We were wondering if Jewel has the suite seating by the pool, or the suite seating at breakfast by the Windjammer? We really like the idea of LESS to do, since we were exhausted trying to do everything on Oasis. That is why we booked this one, to relax. We booked 9078, a regular balcony at the back on the hump and wonder if it is a little larger balcony like the one we had on Brilliance. None of this will affect our enjoyment...just wanted to dream ahead. Deb

We've had that cabin before, and the balcony is quite large. As for seating, no on both counts. There isn't any reserved seating anywhere on the pool decks, and none in the WJ. There's a D,D+, Pinnacle.Suite breakfast area in Tides, but that's about it.

We just got off Jewel this morning,and while the ship and crew are great, we were disappointed with the holiday decorations (or lack thereof) this year. We were on Jewel last year for NYE, and this year the gingerbread village was missing, the tree in the centrum (and the centrum itself) was not as festively decorated, and other than random poinsettia plants scattered around the ship, there really wasn't much decoration. Even the lighted wireframe "tree" over the pool bar was missing.

Had a really good time and the highlight was my 8 yr old winning the grand prize at bingo yesterday.... A free cruise for two!

Cant say that the food "wowed" us ....certainly no better than Carnival....good but not great.

Jewel OTS definitely has a lot less riff raff than your typical Carnival four day cruise.

Took the Jewel in October from Boston to Canada. Great ship. Real good crew, and Dennis the CD was excellent. He came to our Meet and Mingle and was an excellent MC. No sales promo, just wanted to know who we were and where we were from.

To the OP. We were on the Oasis last year. Jewel did not disappoint.

Had a really good time and the highlight was my 8 yr old winning the grand prize at bingo yesterday.... A free cruise for two!

Cant say that the food "wowed" us ....certainly no better than Carnival....good but not great.

Probably why we saw the captain, hotel director, purser, and cruise director eating in WJ right after the top tier party:)

Probably why we saw the captain, hotel director, purser, and cruise director eating in WJ right after the top tier party:)

The food in the WJ was absolutely amazing on Jewel. There is a great team there right now and we were sure to tell the Supervisor just that. The food, presentation, and selection far outshone anything we have ever seen in any WJ previously. Just superb. :)

The food in the WJ was absolutely amazing on Jewel. There is a great team there right now and we were sure to tell the Supervisor just that. The food, presentation, and selection far outshone anything we have ever seen in any WJ previously. Just superb. :)

Just off her this morning and could not agree more with this post. Was just commenting to my family that it was the best WJ offerings we've had in some time. The ribs for lunch on the last day were one of the best meals I've had on a ship.

We just got off Jewel this morning,and while the ship and crew are great, we were disappointed with the holiday decorations (or lack thereof) this year. We were on Jewel last year for NYE, and this year the gingerbread village was missing, the tree in the centrum (and the centrum itself) was not as festively decorated, and other than random poinsettia plants scattered around the ship, there really wasn't much decoration. Even the lighted wireframe "tree" over the pool bar was missing.

I was on the Xmas cruise and it was fully decorated. The gingerbread village was in the hall leading into windjammer. During the night of our arrival most of all of it was taken down. I went up to get coffee and the village was gone as was many of the other items. Since I have taken several Xmas cruises as well as new year's I imagine since your sailing was inbetween the holidays they took most away to prep for new years.

I did Oasis in Dec and Jewel a few weeks later in February, so I know what you are thinking! But I will tell you I loved both cruises for different reasons!

My reviews are in my sig- the Jewel cruise really is where I make "comparisons" ; but really there are no comparisons- they are very different ships. On Oasis, I felt there was too much to do (that's not a bad thing, IMO) and we had to make choices about what things we could fit in. On Jewel, on a short W Caribbean trip, I had enough to do, but knew, for me, I would need a port intensive itinerary to be happy on a Jewel cruise longer than 4-5 days.

But I think Jewel is a beautiful ship and so perfect for a port intensive or short cruise! If I were on Oasis just for ports, I'd be disappointed by the distance to the "main areas" she needs to dock ( except Labadee and maybe Falmouth- but I haven t done Western on her), so each ship has its strengths!

Good luck and happy sailing!

If I were on Oasis just for ports, I'd be disappointed by the distance to the "main areas" she needs to dock ( except Labadee and maybe Falmouth- but I haven t done Western on her), so each ship has its strengths!

Good luck and happy sailing!

I am not sure what you mean by this. She docks in the same place where every other RC ship that I have been on docks in each port except for St. Thomas.

I was on the Xmas cruise and it was fully decorated. The gingerbread village was in the hall leading into windjammer. During the night of our arrival most of all of it was taken down. I went up to get coffee and the village was gone as was many of the other items. Since I have taken several Xmas cruises as well as new year's I imagine since your sailing was inbetween the holidays they took most away to prep for new years.

Then that is doubly dissapointing. On our past two NYE cruises out of Tampa (Radiance in 2010 and Jewel in 2011, all of the decorations stayed up until after new years. Seeing Jewel this year stipped of all of that decoration was pretty pathetic. Other than the tree in the centrum, it may as well have been a mid-february cruise.

Familygoboston, ITA with you on the over-abundance of things to do on Oasis. We never really relaxed but we don't even care if we leave the ship on Jewel. Just want a good book, a chair in the sun and a good waiter!

That's pretty much how we feel about the 2 ships. The Oasis and Allure are for our "on-the-go" vacations. The Jewel is for total relaxation.

Archived