Labadee, The best port ever. Pics too...

whitshel

Great pictures of Labadee! Thanks for posting.

My son(12) and I will be headed to Labadee on Allure this coming April. Out of the public beaches, which one would you say is the nicer beach - Nellie's beach or Columbus Cove? We're not renting a cabana, so I'm trying to figure out which beach would be nice to hang out at for the day. Nice sand, clear and calm waters...? Any advice?

Thanks! :D

We were there that day too in a beach cabana (Enchantment). One of the best days ever!

We also had the Nellies Beach Cabana and agree- one of the best days!! Great location, easy access to the beach, not many steps and ours, not that we needed it, had a ramp as well as a short staircase- My only negative comment, is bring bug spray as my hubby got insect bites on his feet and legs.

We also had the Nellies Beach Cabana and agree- one of the best days!! Great location, easy access to the beach, not many steps and ours, not that we needed it, had a ramp as well as a short staircase- My only negative comment, is bring bug spray as my hubby got insect bites on his feet and legs.

A ramp to get into the cabana?? That would be great for my father in law since it is hard for him to get around..Do you know which one it was by chance?

Wow these pics are great - we are on 2/24 Indy sailing - trying to decide about a cabana - can anyone tell me whether a beach or over the water one on Nellies beach is better? The difference is $25 more for over the water.. just curious so thanks for any help!

Wow these pics are great - we are on 2/24 Indy sailing - trying to decide about a cabana - can anyone tell me whether a beach or over the water one on Nellies beach is better? The difference is $25 more for over the water.. just curious so thanks for any help!

That's a no brainer, definitely go for the over the water ones.... especially for $25. The beach ones are actually up and further back and behind a small wall. I attached a pic, you can see the short yellow wall in front of the cabanas.

IMG_1122.JPG

A ramp to get into the cabana?? That would be great for my father in law since it is hard for him to get around..Do you know which one it was by chance?

I think this is the cabana they are talking about, #10 and #9. You can see the ramp going into the water. You access these 6 all the same way, from behind there is about a 6 ft walkway(sand) and then a small yellow wall. You can see the yellow wall behind the cabanas....

IMG_1122.JPG

Edited by whitshel

I have booked an over the water (not suite). Do you need water shoes to get into the water? I hate when you have rocks, coral at the edge of the water and you have to walk over it to get into the water.

No, it wasnt too bad. A few big rocks at the end of the stairs but thats it. This beach is really sandy

I've really enjoyed lying on the couch looking at your pictures on this Sunday afternoon. We leave on Indy in 41 days. I'm just really looking forward to being back down in the Caribbean. We will be in Labadee with Explorer and they are scheduled to get there about 2 hours before us. I hope those guys don't get all of the choice real estate.

Gorgeous pictures! Love Labadee

Guess I am one of the few that don't get the obsession with the cabanas. Why anyone would want to be on a pile of rocks and have to walk down stairs and crawl down a ladder to get to the beach is beyond me. I go to the beach to feel sand b/t my toes! I know people love them and the cruise lines are making a killing with them, but just something I would never be interested in, especially ones on the rocks. Our friend rented one on the beach at Nellie's and they are with us on Jewel, so will be interesting to see what that is like when we visit them. They invited us to "share" with them, but we declined. I want to sit on the beach, not in a hut enclosed on 3 sides.

My thoughts exactly lol I don't get it...when I'm at the beach I want to sit in the sun on the sand and walk 10 feet to get in the water :D

Gorgeous pictures! Love Labadee

Guess I am one of the few that don't get the obsession with the cabanas. Why anyone would want to be on a pile of rocks and have to walk down stairs and crawl down a ladder to get to the beach is beyond me. I go to the beach to feel sand b/t my toes! I know people love them and the cruise lines are making a killing with them, but just something I would never be interested in, especially ones on the rocks. Our friend rented one on the beach at Nellie's and they are with us on Jewel, so will be interesting to see what that is like when we visit them. They invited us to "share" with them, but we declined. I want to sit on the beach, not in a hut enclosed on 3 sides.

My thoughts exactly lol I don't get it...when I'm at the beach I want to sit in the sun on the sand and walk 10 feet to get in the water :D

I'm trying to be nice but if you've never had one, why would you think you should 'get it?' Wouldn't you need to have experienced a cabana in order to understand the appeal of it? You both just sound critical of those that do 'get it.' Full disclosure, I've never had one but don't question why people like them.

Edited by SPDBigG

I've really enjoyed lying on the couch looking at your pictures on this Sunday afternoon. We leave on Indy in 41 days. I'm just really looking forward to being back down in the Caribbean. We will be in Labadee with Explorer and they are scheduled to get there about 2 hours before us. I hope those guys don't get all of the choice real estate.

Oh boy, a Freedom class(no call it the Independence Class:cool:) and a Voyager class, that's going to be a lot of peeps. Hopefully its not too crowded for ya. The good thing is they should leave a couple hours before you guys:D

Well if you look, there are only 8 steps down to the water from our cabana:D

IMG_1064.JPG

Thanks so much for posting these pictures. Looking forward to our cabana in May!:)

How was your cabana attendent for getting drinks etc? How was the upgraded buffet?

I talked a little bit about the food in post #28, it was good, not great. I guess I was a lil underwhelmed. But it was still good.

Our attendant was great, always willing to get us what ever we wanted, drinks, call for the golf carts etc. Like I said before our towels didn't arrive til after lunch, they actually come from the ship, so when we didn't have any he went and found out where they were etc... I know there are other posts out there about tipping, but please tip these guys, they work hard and will do just about anything for you.:o

There are always people who will be critical of others and what they

like or don't like for that matter.:eek: Why does anyone have to "get it"

or not. You don't want a cabana? Great, more choices for others.:)

Personally, I think the cabanas are wonderful (will be having my

first one in April:D)....I don't want to be out in the sun the whole time.

It is much too hot to stay out there without any shade and I will

be happy to have my cabana and share it with some other folks

on my roll call:)