Is a GS on Allure worth it ?

Hello, we are thinking of an Allure cruise later this year. We usually book a GS on our cruises but on smaller ships that seem to be more affordable. We are used to all the perks that go with it, but looking at the price of the room on Allure we are going to have to sell our first child to go ! Putting it off till the end of the year would give us time to pay for it, but my question is are the perks that go with it worth the extra money, or should we go with a JS instead ? Thanks in advance !

Would you mind telling us your sail date and the price you paid?

I just checked most of the September and October Allure sail dates and it looks like the GS is ranging from $2449 to About $2800 which is actually not bad this far out. To give you a point of reference, I paid $2449 for a GS on my upcoming Allure sailing and that was with a senior discount. We booked with MIL in that cabin so we could get it. Without the discount the lowest I have seen it go for my sailing was $2879 or something very close to that. So I would say the pricing is not far off BUT, in my experience, you can often get even better deals in September and October because of back-to-school, start of hurricane season, etc. There is no way to know for sure, though. Especially when a suite is involved as there are fewer of them to be had.

If someone who has sailed Oasis or Allure during those months last year could give you some info, that might better help you make a decision.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if D+ are allowed in the reserved seating area in the shows, and at poolside? I know they are allowed in the CL Thanks for your reply.

Shows: Yes, Poolside: No.

Which is good.

Reserved show seating is much more precious than pool seating because of the scheduling of the shows on Oasis/Allure.

It's still in the thinking stage, we still haven't sold the kid yet......but we are looking at Sept/ Oct timeframe. The price varies for certain dates !

Please be aware of hurricane season. I have cruised on Oasis/Allure for the past four years in the final week of August. (occasionally going a day or two or three into September).

Every single one was affected by a hurricane.

Which is good.

Reserved show seating is much more precious than pool seating because of the scheduling of the shows on Oasis/Allure.

I guess it depends, I found the reserved "poolside" area on deck 17 to be a lot more worthwhile than the Concierge being able to get me reservations, which I had mostly made anyway. I particularly liked the padded loungers and the uncrowded conditions.

Doing allure cnd march break - cost $2440 per pr - doing an Aqua Suite - have never seen a review of this room?? Anyone used this suite?

Have a 6 & 8 yr old - hope they can enjoy some of the shows right from the balcony booked into 9730 - cannot sell my first born - she has to look after her kids on this cruise!!

I guess it depends, I found the reserved "poolside" area on deck 17 to be a lot more worthwhile than the Concierge being able to get me reservations, which I had mostly made anyway. I particularly liked the padded loungers and the uncrowded conditions.

I like deck 17 also. It is a bit like the San Tropez area on the Voyager and Freedom class ships with the chairs that are like those in the solarium of the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Please be aware of hurricane season. I have cruised on Oasis/Allure for the past four years in the final week of August. (occasionally going a day or two or three into September).

Every single one was affected by a hurricane.

We always get insurance. We were affected by Isaac last year, but still had a great cruise once we got out to sea !

We just sailed Allure in a Junior Suite on the hump (AWESOME balcony space) and a GS a few doors down. This gave us a great comparison. Our 2 cents...

My thoughts - the JS gave a good amount of open floor space and sitting room space. Coupled with the larger balcony, it made the room feel incredibly more spacious than the regular balcony cabin we've had in the past. If you go with a JS, try to get a "hump cabin" for the deeper balcony. Hump balcony was deeper than the GS balcony and had 2 full lounge chairs along with a table and chairs. It also has a walk in closet and full bath like the GS. Having spent a lot of time in both that week I determined I wouldn't bother with the extra cost of the GS unless I could REALLY afford it at the time.

Perks - I think you just decide if you'll REALLY, really use them: We didn't book our GS for the perks to be honest. We only booked it for the extra space as my sister traveled with her baby and would have a pack n play and stroller in the room. She also wanted the bigger bathroom for ease in bathing the baby, etc. Our personal experience was that we didn't end up using the perks for the most part so we wouldn't see it as a reason to get the GS again. Here's how they panned out for us:

1) If you love the idea of eating in the concierge lounge away from the hustle and bustle it really is a beautiful space and you do get the free drinks. Needless to say, it sounded great, but in the end, we found we only went into the lounge three times the whole week. Perfectly happy with the other dining venues and don't drink enough to be excited by the alcohol.

2) We used the gold card reserved seating for one show and never again as we discovered the location of that seating was never a desirable viewing spot for us. Never had a problem finding seating on our own.

3) We never used the gold card pool deck seating either. We checked it out and instead opted to sit happily right below it everyday inside the beautiful solarium on equally great lounge furniture instead.

4) We didn't need the concierge to make any kind of reservations as you pre-book shows and most specialty dining on Allure anyway as someone mentioned. He DID make all the phone calls and stay on top of people to help get us our pack n play in a timely manner on the first day so the baby could go down for a nap.

5) We DID take advantage of the opportunity to easily rent a cabana for the day in Labadee, Haiti inside the gold card beach area. It made for a lovely, quiet day on the beach with good food provided. (of course cabanas can be purchased by anyone in the other beach area too - you just need to jump on them as soon as excursions are available for your cruise date). (if you're even sailing that itinerary)

My sister's final thoughts: The GS is CLEARLY a more "luxurious" feeling room with more space. So if you're getting it for the extra space and upscale feeling it delivers on that account. She simply wanted the space. She wouldn't think about doing it for the perks and if she were traveling without the baby she would get a JS and be perfectly happy.

Thank you all for the great input . Very informative review S&D. Thanks for your 2 cents ! There is only the 2 of us, so the extra room in a GS is more than enough. I really enjoy the extra perks with a gold card and from what I have read it might be worth it as far as priority seating at the shows and pool with all the people onboard. The best perk is being able to order off the main menu, especially for breakfast. I think I'm talking myself into the GS but still undecided. I'll keep you posted....thanks again !

Thanks for the input Ocean Boy and 39august, when you are in the room, it doesn't matter what the info on Royal's site claims, you definitely feel the difference. We love the GS but were a little disappointed in the size on Oasis. Didn't make us enjoy any less just would probably go for the JS next time since we are D+ now anyway. But, again, thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me who could feel the difference. Deb

Archived