Elevator etiquette

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

The number one thing that gets me going is when an already full elevator stops at a floor and the people waiting outside the elevator "insist" that there is room for them. No offense to plus size people but it is usually them who does it. I usually say out loud "this elevator is full and I'm sure there will be another one coming". Most of the time it doesn't stop them from stuffing themselves into the elevator.

It's even worse when the people stuffing themselves into the already full elevator have body odor. Also there is actually a weight limit on elevators not a body count limit.

We usually take the steps to avoid all this.

It is usually plus size people who insist there is room? Yes, saying that is very offensive, very insulting, and grossly inaccurate. What someone weighs has nothing to do with their manners. As a somewhat plus sized person (as you may have guessed) I can tell you with certainty that most plus sized people are already very sensitive about their size and are likely more reluctant to push their way into an elevator for just that reason.

This is by far my biggest pet peeve on a cruise. Ignorant people who will not wait for others to exit before trying to board. I no longer have patience for this type person and they usually feel my elbow as I push them back as I exit.

Also, the ones as mentioned that try to push themselves on a full lift. Again, if I'm in the front, they don't push me back.

Ditto..

The biggest breach of elevator etiquette I ever witnessed was (and I am not making this up) a very drunk man peeing at the back of a packed elevator. :eek::eek::eek:

After that event all other breeches seem pretty tame. :p

I think most of my pet peeves have been addressed. I dislike it when people try to push into a full elevator. At the same time, I hate when the elevator clearly has room but those upfront refuse to move to let me in. I hate when people do not let those onboard exit before they enter, and also agree that people need to pay attention and exit when the doors open, especially when someone is waiting. Dislike the body odor of course, but sometimes it is someone coming back from a hot, sweaty shore excursion who has no choice. I personally hate being with someone dripping with stinky perfume - annoying and potentially even hazardous to someone with allergies.

We all need to take care with elderly or disabled passengers who need time and room for walkers and wheelchairs. In return, they need to follow the same rules of consideration. I am an AARP member myself and often travel with relatives with mobility issues so I am sympathetic to the challenges. But at the same time I can tell you it needs to work both ways. Awhile ago when I took a cruise that had a very elderly demographic and tons of wheelchairs, more than once I was literally practically knocked down as they pushed their way into the elevator with little consideration for others. Definitely not everyone of course, but it happened multiple times, I do not exaggerate. We all need to be considerate of others needs. Lastly, I think elevator crowding can be a cultural thing. Took a cruise with a high number of travelers from a certain area known for comfort with less personal space than Americans. They really jammed those elevators - it is acceptable in their culture, but we from the USA are just not used to that.

The elevators on S class seem to be the worst to us.

For starters there is one less bank of elevators than the other Celebrity ships which have a third, aft, bank of elevators so they seem much more crowded and the wait seems longer than on other ships.

It could be just my impatience when I'm waiting but to me they seem to be very slow and it often seems like several of the elevators are stuck on a single floor a lot of the time when I'm waiting.

Lastly the mid ship elevators are shaped in an impractical way with the area near the door narrow and the back of the elevator wide. This seems to cause a big bottleneck on crowded elevators which makes it more difficult for people in the back to exit.

All this seems to contribute to a frequently rude scene when using the elevators.

We too usually try to take the stairs when we only need to go up or down a few floors. It is amazing how often I see people take the elevators one floor. I know you can't always tell by looking at people if they have a physical issue which requires this so I don't judge people for this on an individual basis, but the large number of people who look very able bodied doing this as a whole shows there are a lot of lazy people on board who just are not thinking.

Last year I was on a short Millie cruise. I was at the back of a crowded elevator and a good sized man tried to get on. One woman yelled: push back and let him on, we can get him on in New York". Another man replied: Why don't you just go back to NY?" "I'm now in Florida" she replied. He then said: "If NY is so great why do you all move to Florida"? At that point I left.

I know, not all New Yorkers are like that and rude behavior can be displayed by anyone. Just giving the facts in this particular case.

The biggest breach of elevator etiquette I ever witnessed was (and I am not making this up) a very drunk man peeing at the back of a packed elevator. :eek::eek::eek:

You win the prize for the best story of all. Nasty though.:eek:

Not really a peeve but more a source of amusement are those that don't feel the up or down buttons are properly pushed until they push them. :rolleyes:

What about those who keep pushing the button when the elevator doors are still open? Just saw this on Connie. A guy kept pushing the UP button when the door for the elevator going up was still open. Heard him comment that "these damn buttons don't work". A miracle happened one the door closed: The button worked.

Try going on a Costa cruise for lessons in obnoxious elevator etiquette. Yikes! Lots of pushing and shoving to get on, not waiting for any passengers to get off.

No one should be in that much of a hurry on a vacation. Common courtesy in most countries......let the elevator empty as much as necessary, BEFORE you enter.

Continenta Europeans (not British) can be rude. We lived in Europe for four years and it is different from the USA.

We had a medical emergency, called for help, and the first aid team placed my husband on a gurney to transport him to sick bay.

When we got him to the elevator, a couple who were already on the elevator refused to exit so that the emergency team could enter.

They were ordered to exit - and that's the only time I've heard a crew member raise his voice to a passenger.

on another Celeb cruise (S class) they had a large group of observant Jewish people... The cruise line closed off two elevators on the sabbath for some type of automatic or assisted service only to that group.....(not really sure of the exact arrangements only that they closed two elevs to gen pax)

That left the rest of us without 2 of the elevs in the main bank...really made for slow transport to say the least...

the cruise line should have put elev operators in all the elevs or done something else to accomodate all of their guests......one drawback to S class is the lack of enough elevs....missing the third bank like on M class

on another note: We walk as much as we can but at night in high heels--not so easy!

We too usually try to take the stairs when we only need to go up or down a few floors. It is amazing how often I see people take the elevators one floor. I know you can't always tell by looking at people if they have a physical issue which requires this so I don't judge people for this on an individual basis, but the large number of people who look very able bodied doing this as a whole shows there are a lot of lazy people on board who just are not thinking.

I wish I had your insight as to who is lazy and who really has to take the elevator. Unfortunately, I can't tell someone with heart or breathing problems, from a healthy individual, so I don't judge them. I just don't worry about it and take the next elevator, because after all I'm on vacation and really not in a hurry to go anywhere or be anywhere.

Boy did this subject hit home! On Silhouette last March my DH and I were getting on to the elevator, which was empty except for 2 older women. My husband uses a walker and always tries to go directly to the back of the elevators in order to make room. He also closes the walker when necessary.

Well, these women wouldn't move at least to the side momentarily so he could get on and he actually lifted the walker so as not to hit them. Suddenly he falls head first into the rear glass of the elevator:mad: Needless to say they looked over to watch me help him up without saying a word. They didn't even say they were sorry they could have moved. Thankfully he was okay but his head did hurt for a while.

We can attempt to walk down 1 deck but it's almost impossible for him to go up. I also find myself getting very annoyed when you stand and wait for the elevators on the S class ships and folks just push you right out of the way.

BTW, I'm a born and raised New Yorker and I was taught manners. Please don't judge all New Yorkers by some folks. I know I will step out of the way for a wheelchair, walker or someone with a cane.

We just laugh at all those oversized folks who try to get on and then can't figure out why the elevator won't move;)

I think sometimes the cruiselines should give out "elevator manners" along with boarding instructions:p

Pat

Yikes!!!

I was just in your neck of the woods, near Sainte Anne de Bellevue this morning, beautiful area, near John Abbott College

On our last cruise, my family and I (4) were in the elevator with probably another 6-7 people, the door opened and a grumpy passenger shouted "There's enough space, everybody push back"

Puzzled, but politely, I responded that there was no fire, and that we were already a tight fit, his response was "well you better push back or I will push you back"

I responded that we choose to exit than stay in the elevator, as I left I said "This is a cruise, enjoy it"

What rude, or pushy passenger experiences have you had in elevators?

I think the same man was on our cruise last summer:D DH and I use the stairs most of the time up and down, sometimes several flights. We never saw other people using the stairs:confused:

The biggest breach of etiquette on elevators is people trying to get on before others get off. Happens all the time.

We've been trying to teach our young grandchildren now what is the proper ettiquette of getting on and off an elevator - wait for others to get off the elevator and when waiting on the elevator - don't stand right next to the door.

Hi Pat,

My wife and I were on that cruise too. I appreciate that your husband is willing to go to all of that trouble (he shouldn't have to). It's sad when someone can't move out of the way. One nice thing about letting people with walkers go to the back is there is typically hand railing they can hold on to as well and it allows them to move their walker out of the way temporarily (at least I assume this is true... I don't use a walker so I don't have any experience). It seems easy enough to allow people this courtesy.

Fortunately, my wife and I have the option to use the stairs and we often do when coming out of shows or back from the muster drill or other times when the elevator is not busy. I confess we are lazy sometimes and take the elevator when we don't have to, but not if it is busy with others. It's nice to have the strength still to have the option of using the stairs. It also helps us not gain so many pounds. Sometimes on fancy nights we use the elevator because our feet hurt from the &$*)($ shoes, but I digress.

Tom

Boy did this subject hit home! On Silhouette last March my DH and I were getting on to the elevator, which was empty except for 2 older women. My husband uses a walker and always tries to go directly to the back of the elevators in order to make room. He also closes the walker when necessary.

Well, these women wouldn't move at least to the side momentarily so he could get on and he actually lifted the walker so as not to hit them. Suddenly he falls head first into the rear glass of the elevator:mad: Needless to say they looked over to watch me help him up without saying a word. They didn't even say they were sorry they could have moved. Thankfully he was okay but his head did hurt for a while.

We can attempt to walk down 1 deck but it's almost impossible for him to go up. I also find myself getting very annoyed when you stand and wait for the elevators on the S class ships and folks just push you right out of the way.

BTW, I'm a born and raised New Yorker and I was taught manners. Please don't judge all New Yorkers by some folks. I know I will step out of the way for a wheelchair, walker or someone with a cane.

We just laugh at all those oversized folks who try to get on and then can't figure out why the elevator won't move;)

I think sometimes the cruiselines should give out "elevator manners" along with boarding instructions:p

Pat

Come on, guys, we don't need to apologize for taking the elevators up or down one floor or two. We're on vacation - what is lazy on dry land is relaxing on vacation - it's all in the perspective:). I rarely take the stairs at night because I would prefer not tripping with my dress sandals and barrelling down a few flights of stairs - that would ruin a cruise in a quick hurry (and heaven help the people I would land on in the process):D!

Very full elevator,I must use a walker.Two people insisted on getting on and everyone pushing back even tho the door wouldn't close.Some other people said ther is a walker back here. The woman ,I refuse to call her a lady,looked at me and said,"those things fold up don't they,so fold it up." I din't say any of the bad things I was thinking.LOL

TJ, They are lucky you are too polite to just fold it up and swing it at them!

Miss you,

Beth

Come on, guys, we don't need to apologize for taking the elevators up or down one floor or two. We're on vacation - what is lazy on dry land is relaxing on vacation - it's all in the perspective:). I rarely take the stairs at night because I would prefer not tripping with my dress sandals and barrelling down a few flights of stairs - that would ruin a cruise in a quick hurry (and heaven help the people I would land on in the process):D!

Depends on what you like. We actually prefer to climb the stairs instead of ride the elevator. We find it invigorating. :D

I am just guessing a bit. I wonder if the lack of elevator etiquette is a result of fewer people use the elevator in their home town!

If one lives in a much larger city where elevators are in almost all public buildings, the folks who use them are more accustomed to the right and wrong way of being on an elevator.

Jim

I wish that were the case. The last 3 buildings in which I've worked were 30, 60 and now 52 floors. People here are equally stupid. :D

They always look surprised when they attempt to board and there's someone exiting - as if they'd been expecting their own private car. As a larger mammal, I've taken to standing right up against the door when preparing to exit. If they try to hop on without looking as soon as the doors open, they bounce off me. Usually with a satisfying look of embarassment. :D

If people have no condition which would preclude them from doing so, I can't imagine why they'd want to stand and wait rather than taking the stairs. You're wasting valuable cocktail time. ;)

What I don't understand is why does anyone care if someone takes the elevator or not or why they would call someone lazy because they take the stairs. Everyone will get where they want to go, just wait for the next elevator or, if you want, take the stairs..

Archived