Elevator etiquette

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

On our last cruise, my family and I (4) were in the elevator with probably another 6-7 people, the door opened and a grumpy passenger shouted "There's enough space, everybody push back"

Puzzled, but politely, I responded that there was no fire, and that we were already a tight fit, his response was "well you better push back or I will push you back"

I responded that we choose to exit than stay in the elevator, as I left I said "This is a cruise, enjoy it"

What rude, or pushy passenger experiences have you had in elevators?

You're going up and the elevator stops on a floor where the folks ask: "is this elevator is going down?" You have to shake your head and wonder why they pushed the up button if they were going down. :eek: It's just the annoyance that bothered me. :D

I was on a Bermuda cruise where there were a lot of families on board. I got on an elevator at Deck 3 heading up to the buffet area as two youngsters were getting off in a hurry. As I got on, I noticed every button was pushed, all the way up to Deck 11. :D

This is by far my biggest pet peeve on a cruise. Ignorant people who will not wait for others to exit before trying to board. I no longer have patience for this type person and they usually feel my elbow as I push them back as I exit.

Also, the ones as mentioned that try to push themselves on a full lift. Again, if I'm in the front, they don't push me back.

Last cruise, I was trying to get on the elevator; this person wouldn't let me on, then they had the gall to wish me an enjoyable cruise. :D

:DNice to have cruised with you!

...and is it just me or is it inapropriate to enter an elevator dripping wet from the pool?

My biggest pet peeve is people who push both buttons up and down somehow believing they can override the lift. Had it once on deck 5, waiting with an elderly couple who it now appears had pushed both buttons; empty elevator arrives showing up where I wanted to go, they went in first (I did remember my manners!) there was much pushing of the buttons, I then pushed for deck 14.

Cue unbelievable rant as the elevator went up (stopping at several floors en route) as my rudeness and timerity to "override their needs and not respect my elders" was loudly shared with all joiners

I feel I had the last laugh as I am approaching the age where there are fewer "elders" around me every year

The biggest breach of etiquette on elevators is people trying to get on before others get off. Happens all the time.

Often because the people already in the elevator are not ready and prepared to get out!

Many times an elevator has stopped, doors open with nobody standing waiting to get out, we go to get in only for someone to then detach themselves from the back of the elevator and tut because they want to exit - wake up people.

This is by far my biggest pet peeve on a cruise. Ignorant people who will not wait for others to exit before trying to board. I no longer have patience for this type person and they usually feel my elbow as I push them back as I exit.

Also, the ones as mentioned that try to push themselves on a full lift. Again, if I'm in the front, they don't push me back.

Bingo, this is the most widely used rude elevator behavior.

Logically, to make room, the people that wish to get off must do so before those wishing to enter.

We have a rule while cruising. Unless we have to walk up more than three flights of stairs, we walk.

Bingo, this is the most widely used rude elevator behavior.

Logically, to make room, the people that wish to get off must do so before those wishing to enter.

We have a rule while cruising. Unless we have to walk up more than three flights of stairs, we walk.

I've walked up and down the stairs 6 floors because in the evening the elevators take forever to come and when they do come they are way over full. I'm on deck 6 this time and will have to walk 8 floors up to get to the buffet and pool.

Maybe it was an abberation or just luck, but we recently took our first Celebrity cruise (on Constellation) and the lift etiquette seemed so much better than on other lines we've been with. So much so that I even commented about it on the review I posted.

I guess I notice this stuff more than other people, because I'm either on crutches or in a wheelchair. Perhaps people just spot my situation and shuffle to make room in the lift a bit more easily than they might do for Mr Average.

There's no doubt in my mind that people try to maintain a little too much of their personal space in a lift and there's usually a lot more room to be had with a bit of nifty footwork.

But if you ever want to figure out how lift etiquette works, just hang around the lobby immediately after muster drill. If you get a ride without any bruises to show for it, you've done well.

Maybe it was an abberation or just luck, but we recently took our first Celebrity cruise (on Constellation) and the lift etiquette seemed so much better than on other lines we've been with.

Or maybe it's because Constellation is an "M" class ship with 3 sets of lifts (forward, midships and aft) rather than the more common 2 sets. Makes it much easier to get on or off because the lifts are normally less crowded.

I am just guessing a bit. I wonder if the lack of elevator etiquette is a result of fewer people use the elevator in their home town! Most of the buildings with businesses around central Illinois have fewer than 5 floors and it is an easy ingress/egress situation. The last time I was on an elevator around here was at the medical clinic and that is only 2 floors! I ride up due to arthritis, but walk down because it doesn't cause as much pain.

If one lives in a much larger city where elevators are in almost all public buildings, the folks who use them are more accustomed to the right and wrong way of being on an elevator.

Jim

Or maybe it's because Constellation is an "M" class ship with 3 sets of lifts (forward, midships and aft) rather than the more common 2 sets. Makes it much easier to get on or off because the lifts are normally less crowded.

No, I think not. The Cunard Vista ships have three sets, totalling twelve and they seem marginally larger. The Constellation etiquette was noticably better.

I agree about trying to stuff so many folks into relatively small elevators being a poor idea, esp. when many are not of average size. I always worry about my toes getting stepped on or rolled over.

My pet peeve is folks taking huge plates of food and hot coffee into the elevators..esp when they are full up.....invariably there is a spill.

On one recent cruise someone spilled very hot cofee all over me as we were heading to disembark. No time or way to change my outfit & I smelled like coffee the entire way home..really awful!

If folks are patient another elev. will eventually come along....

Try going on a Costa cruise for lessons in obnoxious elevator etiquette. Yikes! Lots of pushing and shoving to get on, not waiting for any passengers to get off.

No one should be in that much of a hurry on a vacation. Common courtesy in most countries......let the elevator empty as much as necessary, BEFORE you enter.

I've had a couple of "scary" experiences on the S-Class ship elevators. For whatever reason, as I've aged, I've developed an ever increasing uneasiness of/with heights. On the S-ships, with the glass round circle cut-out thing on the elevator floor AND the glass walls, I have to squeeze myself up against a solid wall up front and just stare straight ahead at the doors. If not, I'd have to get down on all fours on the floor. As the elevator gets more and more crowded, I have had people forcing their way into the very crowded elevator and shout at me to "move to the back" as they tromp on my toes and shove elbows and arms in my direction. Then I have had to apologize and explain my fears etc. and suffer the embarrassment and see the eyerolling. It's very hard to relate to this phobia if you have not experienced it. I would have never believed what it's like until it happened to me...

Very full elevator,I must use a walker.Two people insisted on getting on and everyone pushing back even tho the door wouldn't close.Some other people said ther is a walker back here. The woman ,I refuse to call her a lady,looked at me and said,"those things fold up don't they,so fold it up." I din't say any of the bad things I was thinking.LOL

Here's a story.

Our very first cruise, before the turn of the millenium was from Florida to the Carribean with Carnival. It's fair to say that some of the passngers were generously proportioned. My DW was in the lift, alone, coming up from the bottom deck where our cabin was. It stopped at a higher floor and a whole family of plus plus plus sized people squeezed in. Literally.

The doors stayed open and the buzzer to indicate an overweight load sounded. No-one moved. The buzzer continued to sound. They all looked at DW. She replied to the unspoken expectation. "I'm not getting out", she said.

So there was a stand off. After an eternity, one of them stepped out. The buzzer continued. Eventually a second stepped out, the doors closed and the journey resumed.

The number one thing that gets me going is when an already full elevator stops at a floor and the people waiting outside the elevator "insist" that there is room for them. No offense to plus size people but it is usually them who does it. I usually say out loud "this elevator is full and I'm sure there will be another one coming". Most of the time it doesn't stop them from stuffing themselves into the elevator.

It's even worse when the people stuffing themselves into the already full elevator have body odor. Also there is actually a weight limit on elevators not a body count limit.

We usually take the steps to avoid all this.

snip.... Also there is actually a weight limit on elevators not a body count limit.

...snip

All the elevators that I have been on have both, a weight limit and a person limit. Most often though, the two do not make sens together..and neither match the actually size of the elevator!

What I experience constantlt if patiently waiting for another elevator to arrive and waiting for it to empty, only to have newcomers push there way on first.

The other thing I experience a lot is the expectation that because I am younger than most (and look younger than I am), I am expected to give up my place on the elevator...tour bus...seats etc...Does anybody ever think that maybe...just maybe...I havve a medical condition too?!:rolleyes:

Archived