best movies to watch to prepare for FRANCE

whtdog

:D Greetings everyone, when we plan for our trips we love to watch a few old movies that include the locations, the atmosphere, the history of where we will visit. Any ideas? Would love some book ideas too...:rolleyes:

PARIS

VERSAILLES

GIVERNY

NORMANDY

OMAHA BEACH

AVRANCHES

ST. MONT MICHEAL

ST. MALO

AMBOISE

LOIRE VALLEY

The tour guides at Normandy will suggest Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brother's episode relating to D-Day, as well as the The Longest Day.

There are many books about D Day. One I found the guides used was D-Day, by Anthony Beevor. Very in depth, long and thorough. I would say read the first third to half before you go.

:D Greetings everyone, when we plan for our trips we love to watch a few old movies that include the locations, the atmosphere, the history of where we will visit. Any ideas? Would love some book ideas too...:rolleyes:

PARIS

VERSAILLES

GIVERNY

NORMANDY

OMAHA BEACH

AVRANCHES

ST. MONT MICHEAL

ST. MALO

AMBOISE

LOIRE VALLEY

Watch "The Longest Day" before visiting Normandy.

Amelie is a good one. Bourne Identity is also actually fun to watch. Midnight in Paris is decent, but conventional. The more recent Hugo is a good take as well. If you like Adam Goldberg and all of his quirks and insecurities, 2 Days in Paris is good. Saving Private Ryan probably gets you there for any D Day tour.

• 3 weeks later...
Watch "The Longest Day" before visiting Normandy.

I totally agree with this suggestion. The film is corny and dated, but great prep for the D-Day sites. We did exactly this before our visit last May (had seen the movie when we were kids, but re-watched it) and were very glad we did. In fact, our guide made a number of references to it along the way...

So i had one day off from work....and watched a few movies :)

even the old black and white huntchback of Notre Dame. Really liked to paris with love for an old movie.

Having a lot of fun planning this trip!

Thanks for the ideas

sunny:D

The already mention "Midnight in Paris" is fantastic and led to us going there last October!

DH is really "into" old movies and "The Man in the Eiffel Tower" proved very interesting since it was shot in the late 40s in Paris and really provided a great contrast between then and now!

• 1 month later...
The already mention "Midnight in Paris" is fantastic and led to us going there last October!

DH is really "into" old movies and "The Man in the Eiffel Tower" proved very interesting since it was shot in the late 40s in Paris and really provided a great contrast between then and now!

I 3rd and 4th MIDNIGHT IN PARIS. My husband and I saw the movie when it came out, we had been to Paris some years back---the movie made me change my plans and have a stop-over in Paris--(but the airlines wouldn't cooperate....)

Here is a great video resource file on the beautiful French Riviera. Our son is a professional videographer and filmed/produced 19 short films for the "Avid Cruiser" last summer. Sit back and join Chris and Ralph as they spend one month exploring this wonderful area of the world!

http://amberpacificstudios.com/2012/...-monster-post/

• 2 weeks later...

For something totally different, get on the web and watch the shows Anthony Bourdain did for Paris in No Reservations and The Layover. A little R rated (for language), but pretty entertaining. If you're going to Barcelona and Rome, look at his shows on these, too.

Archived