Pool towels, what's the dilly doo?

Kaboochi

I just read a review where the poster wrote that there are no pool towels in the cabin - that I know. The poster also wrote that in order to get a pool towel you must leave your sign Nd sail pass at the towel desk. Is this true? I would like to take a ship towel on beach excursions. This would not work. Clarification please:rolleyes:

I just read a review where the poster wrote that there are no pool towels in the cabin - that I know. The poster also wrote that in order to get a pool towel you must leave your sign Nd sail pass at the towel desk. Is this true?...

I'm so sorry about this because, sadly, that member seems to perpetuate the falsehood that one must physically leave their card in order to get towels. As stated, this is not true. One swipe and the towels are in your hands, but don't forget to take them to the pool desk on the last evening and have your card swiped again, thus clearing your "account".

Have fun on your cruise. :D

I just read a review where the poster wrote that there are no pool towels in the cabin - that I know. The poster also wrote that in order to get a pool towel you must leave your sign Nd sail pass at the towel desk. Is this true? I would like to take a ship towel on beach excursions. This would not work. Clarification please:rolleyes:

If you read the entire thread that that poster started, you would see that EVERYONE disagreed with what he posted. EVERYONE.

I am new to Royal Caribbean, sailing on FOS in May. We have sailed Carnival our last 5 cruises, and we were always left clean beach towels in our cabin every day. Did Royal Caribbean do this in the past, and stop for some reason? I know it's not a big deal...just surprised. I thought going on Royal Caribbean would be heads above service from Carnival. It will be interesting to see.

I am new to Royal Caribbean, sailing on FOS in May. We have sailed Carnival our last 5 cruises, and we were always left clean beach towels in our cabin every day. Did Royal Caribbean do this in the past, and stop for some reason? I know it's not a big deal...just surprised. I thought going on Royal Caribbean would be heads above service from Carnival. It will be interesting to see.

A few years ago Royal started the towel check-out process. The story was that too many guests either left them at the beach on excursions, took then home, or otherwise consumed them. Now if towels are not turned in before the end of the cruise, Royal charges $25 per missing towel.

You will see a separate line at the purser's desk for people disputing their towel charges on the last day. My husband went on the last night to turn in four towels, two for each of our cabins, and the attendant had no idea what she was doing. She only checked in two of the four so we we were charged for two. He went down in the morning and had not problem getting the amount credited - just had to go to the pool towel line and wait.

Anyone know if suite guests have pools placed in their suites, or do they have to be checked out at the pool deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the ship. We got them on Monarch in a GS, but not Radiance. Sometimes we get them in a JS, and sometimes not.

Anyone know if suite guests have pools placed in their suites, or do they have to be checked out at the pool deck?

They did a couple years ago on Serenade...but I'm not sure if they still do now...the ones we had left were the tan ones, not the new blue ones..which was fine with me...one less thing to keep track of...

Yes, RCI does have a department called "What can we do to annoy the passenger" and the swipe your sea-pass card for towels is one of their major accomplishments.:rolleyes: In all fairness though overall RCI does a great job.

Just one person's opinion...

If you are unhappy with the policy, blame the thieves!!!!! Place your anger or disgust where it belongs. Yes, it is a pain, but we head to the pool all the time, so it simply means we do not have to carry them around...For shore excursions, we grab a cup of coffee, poolside, then get the towels, then get off the ship.

We were planning on bringing our own towels for shore excursions (we live near port and have plenty of room in our suitcases) but when we're just by the pool we were going to use RCI towels. It seems that most people talk about checking them out at the beginning and then keeping them (trading for clean when necessary) for the duration of the cruise. Can we check them out as needed and then check them back in on the same day? Do you think doing this would make it more or less likely that we will be mistakenly charged for them?

Is there a way to tell how many towels RCI thinks you "have" during the week?

And if you think about it, if someone can complain that they're being charged for towels they've turned in and RCI "fixes" the mistake, what's the point?

Just ask the towel attendant at the pool.

I'm so sorry about this because, sadly, that member seems to perpetuate the falsehood that one must physically leave their card in order to get towels. As stated, this is not true. One swipe and the towels are in your hands, but don't forget to take them to the pool desk on the last evening and have your card swiped again, thus clearing your "account".

Have fun on your cruise. :D

Because of that, for the next year people are going to be constantly referring to this because "They read somewhere" that this is the new process...

I know the suites were big but not that big!

I think the policy of checking out the towels serves two purposes:

It cuts down on towels being taken home as keepsakes and it also cuts down on chairhogs just throwing a towel on a chair to save it.

I did like having pool towels placed in our rooms. I also liked having pillow chocolates. This last cruise on Liberty, four nights--we had the adorable towel animals only one night of the cruise. We also have to ask for ice in the room. Ice used to be automatic...no requesting required. I do miss those amenities. They were a kind of old fashioned hospitality I appreciated.

I even liked the little gifts we used to get. I still use the hang-up toiletry bag we were given several years ago. We still have the beach towels we were given as gifts on the Allure inaugural voyage. The tote bags have lasted well also.

All of those nice gestures have gone along with luggage tags. I do miss those little things. They added to the cruising experience.

Archived