Booking on board a cruise?

deedee290

We got a 2 category upgrade (2b to 1a), OBC and an early booking discount. The OBC is dependant on the length of cruise. As we are from the Uk we had to pay full deposit but I believe US travellers get a reduced deposit - I think it was about $100 pp. You can also transfer your booking to a TA if you think they will give you a better deal. We decided to stay with Celebrity, the price has since dropped and we were able to get our price reduced too - very easy rather than having to go through a TA for everything.

We often book a future cruise while on board. We will be on the Equinox in April on a pair of B2B cruises booked on the Infinity, and will be on the Century next fall on another pair of B2B cruises booked actually on the Century last October. While on the Equinox I plan to book a set of B2B2B 2014 cruises on the Solstice.

Jo42 is correct: US passengers pay a deposit of only $100 per person. And while I've encountered one future cruise sales manager who I thought was really poor at her job, the other ones I've dealt with are very knowledgeable, and frequently really know the Celebrity ships since they live on them.

Reduced deposit....no matter the length of the cruise you are booking...it will only cost (US citizens) $100 per person. OBC based on the length of the cruise. Yes, the category upgrade.

And the FCC can be transferred to any other cruise you want if you decide you don't want to take the one you booked. Just transfer that booking reservation number (via your travel agent or Celebrity) to whatever new cruise you want. You will lose the category upgrade but will still have the reduced deposit and OBC.

And the deposit is refundable. If you purchase an Open Passage certificate onboard that is NOT refundable.

On our first cruise last year we each purchased an open booking certificate for $100 each, which would allow reduced deposit and an additional obc based upon length of cruise.

We recently booked our second cruise (late enough to require full payment) during the 123 promotion and were told we could not receive any benefit from the open booking since Celebrity will not allow more than one benefit on a cruise booking. We kept the beverage package, of course.

Since we are not sure if we will be cruising much we decided to have the open booking numbers transferred to our TA and then applied to the cost of this cruise. We will waive any benefit (such as increased obc) from the open booking purchase, but will at least get a credit for our $200 paid.

Since it appears that Celebrity nearly always has a promotion of some sort, and does not allow the 'stacking' of benefits, the open booking concept is really not worth much. Any other opinions?

First, its important to those unfamiliar with the terms to determine if you are talking about the Open Passages certificate....which I agree is not a great idea/value....or the Future Cruise Certificate where you picked a ship and so forth. The later is always a good idea IMHO to buy because although it often cannot be combined with other offers X may roll out later....at the very least you can still take advantage of the only $100 per person to reserve the cruise you have or may transfer it to. For example, I had a FCC on a cruise on Eclipse in February of 2014. I just transferred it to a cruise on Equinox in January of 2014 under the 123go promo. I did lose the OBC the FCC would have given me...but I gained the complimentary beverage backages and still have a cruise booked with only $200 instead of $900 deposit.

And there is always the possibility that there may one day be a cruise that does not have a special promo linked to it!

Since it appears that Celebrity nearly always has a promotion of some sort, and does not allow the 'stacking' of benefits, the open booking concept is really not worth much. Any other opinions?

I've booked my last three cruises onboard, including one for June 2013, but I am beginning to beleive that the benefit of booking on board is illusory if Celebrity is going to have specials like 123.

That's probably quite true. We only book onboard if we have something specific in mind and we want to secure a specific cabin - we cruise about an average of every 11 months to 14 months. We typically like an S1 cabin so the $100 deposit is definitely a lot better up front than the $450.

That's probably quite true. We only book onboard if we have something specific in mind and we want to secure a specific cabin - we cruise about an average of every 11 months to 14 months. We typically like an S1 cabin so the $100 deposit is definitely a lot better up front than the $450.

Does the $100 deposit apply to suites? I didn't think so.

This is something that I've never done. This will be our second time on X and I am thinking that I would like to book my next cruise while on board. What are the perks in doing so????

It DOES GUARANTEE you a specific cabin, on a specific cruise, with upgrades and an OBC. If that is foremost in your list of priorities, go for it. :cool:

It also gets you the "privilege" of paying whatever (usually VERY high) price Celebrity puts on their cruises at "rollout." :confused:

Unless it is an EXTREMELY popular, low supply/high demand itinerary, that price will ALMOST CERTAINLY drop (quite often by a SIGNIFICANT amount (50% to 75%)) prior to sailing. :eek:

If pricing is a priority, (and you have flexibility in timing) shopping for cruises through online sites can net HUGE savings that most people refuse to believe possible. ;)

(Like $499pp for a 15 day transatlantic this past December and 599pp for one this April)

Last October we were on the Solstice for a Med cruise. During the cruise we payed into the Celebrity Open Passages booking $200 for future cruise and on board credit (the amount depends on the length of the cruise).

This past December, we wanted to take advantage of the $1000 on board credit. We booked another Med cruise on the Reflection for this October. When we asked for the on board credit and $200 pre paid deposit from Open Passages, Celebrity told you have choice. Either you take $1000 on board credit promotion offered or you use your Open Passages credits. Naturally we took the $1000 promotion and save the Open Passages for another cruise. I think you have 5 years to use it. I do think that was unfair of Celebrity since nowhere was that spelled out that you cannot combine promotions.

Celebrity doesn't want to discount their cruises like they did in the past.

So they are going to add 'value'.

The 123 promo has been their best promo yet. ( not combinable with other offers ).

If they're smart, they will offer it every WAVE season.

So, the Celebrity Passages is not a good value anymore.

Last October we were on the Solstice for a Med cruise. During the cruise we payed into the Celebrity Open Passages booking $200 for future cruise and on board credit (the amount depends on the length of the cruise).

This past December, we wanted to take advantage of the $1000 on board credit. We booked another Med cruise on the Reflection for this October. When we asked for the on board credit and $200 pre paid deposit from Open Passages, Celebrity told you have choice. Either you take $1000 on board credit promotion offered or you use your Open Passages credits. Naturally we took the $1000 promotion and save the Open Passages for another cruise. I think you have 5 years to use it. I do think that was unfair of Celebrity since nowhere was that spelled out that you cannot combine promotions.

It never expires and in the terms and conditions it's spelled out that it's not combinable with other offers.

It never expires and in the terms and conditions it's spelled out that it's not combinable with other offers.

You are right, just re-read it and does say it does not expire. That's good. Nowhere do I see about not combining it with other offers/promotions.

When we sail on the Reflection, I will bring the document they gave me and talk with them at the future cruise office.

If I have to, I will use on a 3/4/5 day cruise out Miami or Port Everglades in the future.

• 11 months later...
I've booked my last three cruises onboard, including one for June 2013, but I am beginning to beleive that the benefit of booking on board is illusory if Celebrity is going to have specials like 123.

I certainly agree with you on the Illusion comment. We booked onboard last August and was told we could take advantage of up to 2 future promos before our balance was due. Well turns out "not so" Celebrity turned around and said we couldnt take advantage of 123 and would have to rebook the cruise at current prices ($600 more pp) if we wanted it. Guess we should have had them put that down in writing :mad: Live and Learn as they say.

I'm really confused. I thought that a cruise booked on board is combinable with one other promotion (eg, 123). Is that not true?

Also, what's this multi-category upgrade you guys are talking about? I know that if you're Select you get a 1-step upgrade WITHIN a category...never heard of moving up 3 levels or whatever by booking on board.

This is the first time that I have done it. I always know the prices of the cruises that I want to take before I set sail. Previously the booking on the ship was not good. Last week while I was on the Eclipse, I booked a cruise that had a great rate. I knew it before I booked. In fact, the fare has jumped up a lot since I disembarked from that cruise. I have the option to canceling if I want. $100 deposit is refundable. Future cruise open booking is not refundable. If the price decreases, I have the option to rebook. Nothing to lose. Looking forward to my next cruise.

If you do want to book while you are on a cruise, do it early. Do not wait until an at sea day or the last 2 days of your cruise. The lines to see the booking agent are very long at those times. Good luck. Know prices before you cruise.

You can stack 123 promotion and Open Passage Certificate if it purchased after 08/01/2013. So it still does make sense to book on-board IMHO.

FYI, after I posted yesterday, I called X. Now they're allowing ppl to combine "old" Open Passages with promos, BUT the OBC given will be the new amounts for Open Passages, not the amounts stated on the "old" Open Passages.

We booked a specific future cruise on board in April and got TWO of the 1-2-3 perks as well as the reduced deposit. We chose the drinks package and didn't even know we had also gotten free gratuities until we called to switch our cruise, which we were allowed to do. We ended up losing the free gratuities, but were offered a one category upgrade instead. I understand picking two perks is an offer with certain European sailings, but the one we originally booked was a February 5 night western Caribbean. Too bad we had to let that one go! I am looking forward to Bermuda though.

First, its important to those unfamiliar with the terms to determine if you are talking about the Open Passages certificate....which I agree is not a great idea/value....or the Future Cruise Certificate where you picked a ship and so forth. The later is always a good idea IMHO to buy because although it often cannot be combined with other offers X may roll out later....at the very least you can still take advantage of the only $100 per person to reserve the cruise you have or may transfer it to. For example, I had a FCC on a cruise on Eclipse in February of 2014. I just transferred it to a cruise on Equinox in January of 2014 under the 123go promo. I did lose the OBC the FCC would have given me...but I gained the complimentary beverage backages and still have a cruise booked with only $200 instead of $900 deposit.

If you're going to make a point of mentioning specific terms, you should really call what you are calling the "future cruise certificate" by its correct name -- Reserved Passage. Also, when I think of a future cruise certificate, I really think of what the Open Passages is, a certificate that can be used on a future cruise that you pick later, and that's not what you're describing.

And while you say that the Open Passages is a bad idea, in your case it would have allowed you to get the OBC it came with as well as the 123 promo!

Details are here:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/13033187_CEL_Onboard_Passages_Form.pdf

I'm really surprised that the Reserved Passage is combinable with 123. I had originally thought it was not and booked a Bermuda cruise for June with my TA, even though I'll be on Silhouette in a week. Now that I've determined that they can be combined, I will be rebooking while on board and then I'll cancel my original reservation.

Edited by MisterBill99