Comparison of Oceania and Regent

Hambagahle

We sailed on Oceania for the first time on 13 January on a 10 day cruise to the Yucatan. Prior to this we have been sailing on Regent for about the last ten years. Tough we have had some wonderful times on Regent, we were not at all satisfied with our last cruise, and also have noted that many things, including food and service, were somewhat erratic. Very good sometimes, not so good another.

1. Cost

We had booked an identical cruise on the Navigator, sailing 4 days later. We were booked in a PH suite but were about to upgrade to a Navigator suite when we decided to make the move to Oceania. We had an Oceania suite on the Riviera. We cannot use Regent included airfare, and we do not use the hotel before sailing so the comparison below takes this into account.

In a Navigator suite we would have paid USD8599.00 per person which includes all drinks, tips and excursions. Hd we taken a Grand suite we would have paid USD10799.00 and a Masters suite would have been USD12599.00 pp.

Our Oceania suite was 1000sq ft so roughly the size of the Masters suite on the Navigator. Our NET cost, including a bonus discount of USD1000.00, a gratuities package offered by our TA, and no air was USD7255.00 pp. to which we added 3excursions for a total of USD330.00 pp a liquor package at 499.50 pp and an unlimited Internet package at 225 for a grand total, per person, of USD8309.50 per person.

2. The ship

Riviera is larger than any Regent ship, with 1250 passengers. She is new, and drop dead gorgeous. This ship has some of the most beautiful sculptures on her that I have ever seen. The decor was very tasteful, and very modern in colour scheme. The public space was large. We never felt that we were on such a big ship. We never, ever queued for anything including for the buffet meals at the Terrace. I did not see any other stateroom than our own, but it is well known that the "normal" ones on Oceania are a lot smaller than the normal suites on Regent. The cost of these is also a lot less. I feel that the decor on the Regent ships is in dire need of a change, ship wide. I have become tired of the brown/orange etc in the suites. It is dated and no longer fresh. Our last Mariner cruise we had a Seven Seas Aft suite. The furniture did not fit the size of the sitting room...and it needed repair (a large mark on the couch!) the carpet in the bedroom has been repaired with duct tape, and it left a sticky smear that was unpleasant and one could not avoid walking over it in bare feet. It isn't fair to make a comparison of the upkeep of the two ships as Riviera is so new. BUT when Regent bills itself as a luxury product, small things like this should be attended to.

3. Cuisine

Regent can produce some excellent food, but even in Signatures I think we all agree that it can be great -or not. I have had one really good meals on Regent. I have also had plates put in front of me with thumbprints from the waiter, with sauce congealed because the plate had sat on the passe for too long, plates badly presented and plates where the decoration had come "unstuck" somewhere between the kitchen and the table. Service in the Compass Rose, especially for breakfast, can be s l o w... The food on the Riviera was quite simply top notch. In every dining venue, and at every meal we had. Service in the restaurants was impeccable. We neither waited too long for a dish nor were we served so fast that we fet like we were at McDonalds. Even in the Terrace restaurant, which is buffet, we were served at each station. When I mentioned that on Regent one serves oneself from the buffet an Oceania staff member was shocked. And because we were served, each plate looked nice AND more importantly staff were constantly aware which dishes were running low, becoming too warm or too cold. There were a LOT of wait staff serving in that buffet restaurant!

4. Excursions

Since one department at PCH handles excursions for both lines I have to assume they are identical, with the same local tour operators etc. We do not normally take a lot of excursions (mainly because we have usually been to the port before and are familiar with it and what we want to do) so included excursions are not a plus for us. On this cruise we had two excursions to the Mayan ruins and both - one in Belize and one in Mexico - were outstanding.

5. Entertainment

We don't go to many shows...and our impression was that the entertainment at the ones we did go to were the same on both lines. We absolutely loved the string quartet that played as we boarded the Riviera. A real touch of class! And the same quartet played during tea at Horizons. It was lovely. My husband remarked one day that it reminded him of the Palm Court at the Plaza in NY!

6. Butler and stewardess

No difference between the lines. We happened to have the best butler ever on the Riviera, and our stewardess was superb. But this could go either way.

7. Miscellaneous

There was one thing that stood out on Oceania - people in the higher end suites are paid a lot of attention. On Regent everyone seems to be treated the same. I am not a particularly "egalitarian" person. And I really like the fact that I did get some special treatment along the way because I was in a larger - and more expensive - suite. For example: priority boarding. We boarded at 11am and our suite was ready for occupancy right away. Our luggage arrived within an hour after boarding (my Regent experience re the luggage is roughly the same). We did not have to obtain tender tickets but just arrived at the tender platform, showed our suite cards and were off. We had priority on dinner and excursion reservations, and were able to make two dinner reservations per restaurant instead of one. All this combined to give us the impression that we were appreciated. That we were being looked after. And that we had an all round luxury experience.

We came away from the cruise feeling that it was the best one we have ever taken. Perfect in every way. And also with a real respect for the way Oceania is run, from the top - Mr. Del Rio is very much admired and loved by all his staff and is a real "presence" in the company. There is a family feeling amongst the Oceania people and you do not get this in a company by luck. I have never experienced anything like this on Regent.

I know that this has been long... And I apologise but there is a lot to say. I am also sure I have left things out. So I am happy to answer any questions.

thank you so much for this review - we too, have sailed several times with Regent, but because of some of the reasons you mentioned, we're now sailing with Crystal - but we have booked an Alaskan cruise with Oceania, and I am so happy to read your VERY positive review! - we are excited now! -

Glad you enjoyed your cruise

I only have 1 nit pic about your review

You did not give the sizes of the suites on Regent for comparison:(

The cabins on the Navigator are smaller than the Riveria with the exception of the Master suite which is slightly larger than the Oceania suites

The difference on the other 2 Regent ships is the PH are only 30 sq ft larger than Oceania PH suites ...which is probably a deal breaker for some Regent cruisers

I have not been on Regent mainly because we do not take ships excursions nor drink very much so why pay upfront for those items that are optional on Oceania

You have to choose what works best for you.... each line has it's pro's & con's

Overall I thought your comments on your experiences were what most Oceania cruisers love about the line

Lyn

Huh. Interesting read to say the least. Not having sailed Regent in almost two years, I'm somewhat concerned with this review. I have read many, many posts and trust Hambagahle's reviews - and this leaves me a bit worried about our upcoming cruise on Mariner in August...

I'll try and keep an open mind, but I certainly hope that I have the typical Regent experience that I remember from previous cruises. Six months to address these issues - let's see if they can do it!

Oh, and excellent review (as always!) Thanks!

Gerry, thank you for your review of the Riviera and of Oceania in general. Some time ago I did a comparison of the two lines on the Regent Board and ask for a response which I did not receive. I would like to know why Oceania, which is billed as a premium line, is receiving reports of being much better than Regent. I have not sailed on Oceania so I am going by reports on CC. Since the two lines are owned by the same company that is run by FDR it appears that Regent is deliberately being downgraded by management. WHY??

Hambagahle,

Thank you for your time and effort, both in this thread as well as in your other "live" one.

I followed them both closely. We have only sailed on Regent once and while it was perfectly fine, we saw no reason to go back since we love Oceania so much.

Of course, in our case it makes even more sense as we do not drink and rarely take ships's shore excursions - thus no advantage on Regent for us.

I would take Regent again but only for a unique itinerary that is not available on Oceania/Azamara (ditto for Seabourn and Silversea).

We found an excellent fit for our needs on Oceania and thus have been loyal to her.

We sailed on Oceania for the first time on 13 January on a 10 day cruise to the Yucatan. Prior to this we have been sailing on Regent for about the last ten years. Tough we have had some wonderful times on Regent, we were not at all satisfied with our last cruise, and also have noted that many things, including food and service, were somewhat erratic. Very good sometimes, not so good another.

1. Cost

We had booked an identical cruise on the Navigator, sailing 4 days later. We were booked in a PH suite but were about to upgrade to a Navigator suite when we decided to make the move to Oceania. We had an Oceania suite on the Riviera. We cannot use Regent included airfare, and we do not use the hotel before sailing so the comparison below takes this into account.

In a Navigator suite we would have paid USD8599.00 per person which includes all drinks, tips and excursions. Hd we taken a Grand suite we would have paid USD10799.00 and a Masters suite would have been USD12599.00 pp.

Our Oceania suite was 1000sq ft so roughly the size of the Masters suite on the Navigator. Our NET cost, including a bonus discount of USD1000.00, a gratuities package offered by our TA, and no air was USD7255.00 pp. to which we added 3excursions for a total of USD330.00 pp a liquor package at 499.50 pp and an unlimited Internet package at 225 for a grand total, per person, of USD8309.50 per person.

2. The ship

Riviera is larger than any Regent ship, with 1250 passengers. She is new, and drop dead gorgeous. This ship has some of the most beautiful sculptures on her that I have ever seen. The decor was very tasteful, and very modern in colour scheme. The public space was large. We never felt that we were on such a big ship. We never, ever queued for anything including for the buffet meals at the Terrace. I did not see any other stateroom than our own, but it is well known that the "normal" ones on Oceania are a lot smaller than the normal suites on Regent. The cost of these is also a lot less. I feel that the decor on the Regent ships is in dire need of a change, ship wide. I have become tired of the brown/orange etc in the suites. It is dated and no longer fresh. Our last Mariner cruise we had a Seven Seas Aft suite. The furniture did not fit the size of the sitting room...and it needed repair (a large mark on the couch!) the carpet in the bedroom has been repaired with duct tape, and it left a sticky smear that was unpleasant and one could not avoid walking over it in bare feet. It isn't fair to make a comparison of the upkeep of the two ships as Riviera is so new. BUT when Regent bills itself as a luxury product, small things like this should be attended to.

3. Cuisine

Regent can produce some excellent food, but even in Signatures I think we all agree that it can be great -or not. I have had one really good meals on Regent. I have also had plates put in front of me with thumbprints from the waiter, with sauce congealed because the plate had sat on the passe for too long, plates badly presented and plates where the decoration had come "unstuck" somewhere between the kitchen and the table. Service in the Compass Rose, especially for breakfast, can be s l o w... The food on the Riviera was quite simply top notch. In every dining venue, and at every meal we had. Service in the restaurants was impeccable. We neither waited too long for a dish nor were we served so fast that we fet like we were at McDonalds. Even in the Terrace restaurant, which is buffet, we were served at each station. When I mentioned that on Regent one serves oneself from the buffet an Oceania staff member was shocked. And because we were served, each plate looked nice AND more importantly staff were constantly aware which dishes were running low, becoming too warm or too cold. There were a LOT of wait staff serving in that buffet restaurant!

4. Excursions

Since one department at PCH handles excursions for both lines I have to assume they are identical, with the same local tour operators etc. We do not normally take a lot of excursions (mainly because we have usually been to the port before and are familiar with it and what we want to do) so included excursions are not a plus for us. On this cruise we had two excursions to the Mayan ruins and both - one in Belize and one in Mexico - were outstanding.

5. Entertainment

We don't go to many shows...and our impression was that the entertainment at the ones we did go to were the same on both lines. We absolutely loved the string quartet that played as we boarded the Riviera. A real touch of class! And the same quartet played during tea at Horizons. It was lovely. My husband remarked one day that it reminded him of the Palm Court at the Plaza in NY!

6. Butler and stewardess

No difference between the lines. We happened to have the best butler ever on the Riviera, and our stewardess was superb. But this could go either way.

7. Miscellaneous

There was one thing that stood out on Oceania - people in the higher end suites are paid a lot of attention. On Regent everyone seems to be treated the same. I am not a particularly "egalitarian" person. And I really like the fact that I did get some special treatment along the way because I was in a larger - and more expensive - suite. For example: priority boarding. We boarded at 11am and our suite was ready for occupancy right away. Our luggage arrived within an hour after boarding (my Regent experience re the luggage is roughly the same). We did not have to obtain tender tickets but just arrived at the tender platform, showed our suite cards and were off. We had priority on dinner and excursion reservations, and were able to make two dinner reservations per restaurant instead of one. All this combined to give us the impression that we were appreciated. That we were being looked after. And that we had an all round luxury experience.

We came away from the cruise feeling that it was the best one we have ever taken. Perfect in every way. And also with a real respect for the way Oceania is run, from the top - Mr. Del Rio is very much admired and loved by all his staff and is a real "presence" in the company. There is a family feeling amongst the Oceania people and you do not get this in a company by luck. I have never experienced anything like this on Regent.

I know that this has been long... And I apologise but there is a lot to say. I am also sure I have left things out. So I am happy to answer any questions.

Gerry,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!! I felt the same way after sailing on the Marina last year. We sailed on the Navigator(Regent) in May of 2011(12 night cruise) and found the ship dated and even though it is a small ship....the ship felt crowded and not spacious at all. The Navigator pales in comparison to the Marina. I was worried that the Marina would be too large a ship since my husband and I sail on smaller ships but the Marina never felt large and was easy to get around.

I agree that it isn't fair to compare a brand new ship with an older one but we sailed on the Paul Gauguin last year (Feb.2012) and the ship has totally been redone in Jan.2012. The ship was built in 1997. It is a gorgeous ship and the decor is beautiful and modern.

Gerry,

Thank you for your excellent and well written review. I am glad that you enjoyed your maiden voyage on Riviera, as did we. I do want to reiterate what the other poster wrote, that the standard verandah cabins are not that small. In fact, as one who usually cruises on Crystal, but for only having one sink in the bathroom, I found that the suite felt roomy.

I am a Regent loyalist and regular and except for one cruise on Seaborne Sojourn I haven't sailed with any other line. So it was more than interesting to read Hambagahle's comparison with Oceania. Especially so since I have sailed with Gerry and Ken, dined with them, and even been a useless member of their Trivia team. I trust absolutely their opinions and know that if they have compared prices that comparison will be "apples for apples".

However my last cruise on Regent Voyager less than a year ago showed none of the faults they found on their last Mariner cruise. I have never been subject to the "greasy spoon" treatment in any of the dining outlets and I have never had a staff member be less than friendly, pleasant, hard working and courteous, without being servile.

I, personally, expect and hope that once having paid and boarded, everyone is treated equally and I am not happy about sailing with a line that offers some guests a lesser service. Luxury to me means that everyone should get the best treatement and service, not 100% for some and 90% for others.

Hambagahle, thank you for your review. We are sailing on the Rivieria in April and thoroughly looking forward to it. Recently we have been considering Regent for the right itinerary but prefer the Oceania 'style' of drinks optional and excursions not included.

Hambagahle, many thanks for your thoughtful comparison. I very much agree with your analysis. We sailed Regent Mariner only once (Dec '11) but that was enough for us to realize that we much preferred Oceania. I think Regent has confused all-inclusive with luxury, while Oceania offers a premium experience that is luxurious. And the new Oceania ships just can't be beat!

I was reading on the Regent board the same topic

the lead "cheerleader" complained about not being able to serve yourself in the buffet on Oceania

If serving yourself is Luxury I will stick with Luxurious :rolleyes:

Lyn

Hambagahle, many thanks for your thoughtful comparison. I very much agree with your analysis. We sailed Regent Mariner only once (Dec '11) but that was enough for us to realize that we much preferred Oceania. I think Regent has confused all-inclusive with luxury, while Oceania offers a premium experience that is luxurious. And the new Oceania ships just can't be beat!

I think you have hit the nail on the head... Thanks for stating this... I am not sure Oceania does not bill itself as a luxury line. To me it is.

It is very true though that Regent has bigger suites...staterooms...whatever at the lower level of their pricing. Once you spend more Oceania's suites are larger, I think. I suppose the Oceania PH suite compares to a normal one on Regent, and that needs to be taken into account. If space in your stateroom/suite is not an issue, and space in public areas and a larger choice of restaurants is - then a "normal" stateroom on Oceania will do. We like larger accommodation, butler etc. that is our personal take on it.

and we are now changing everything to Oceania from Crystal. We did not like the depressing beige on Regent. We do believe in first class when you pay first class, and we felt on Regent the crew was totally demotivated because they were not tipped. As I just posted on the Regent board, we just got off a ship where there was considerable Norovirus and at the point that A LOT OF PASSENGERS AND CREW were affected..then they served the buffet. I believe this is the most sanitary way and I am so glad to hear that Oceania does this.

You can probably count us among the 'Regent Refugees' who will be trying Oceania in future.

Very hard to consume enough of everything 'inclusive' to bridge the gap between the Regent and Oceania prices these days :)

We never go near the buffet on Regent due to self-service so happy that is an option for us on Oceania.

We were deeply underwhelmed by Prime 7 on Navigator on our last cruise so we are prepared to trade some of the 'small ship' aspects for a bit more variety and we certainly see no problem with the occasional reflection of cabin status in aspects of the on board experience.

After 50+ cruiseson various lines since the 1970's the last few years has had me searching for a line that I could grow into....more 5 Star - Ritz Carlton & Four Seasons level at sea.

Relatives had sailed on Seabourn & Royal Viking for years, friends swear by Regent. I felt I was too young for these lines & have felt disenchanted with them since they were sold a few years back(as have my relatives & friends). I tried Azamara and thought it was ok but the ship was lacking...not quite delivering what was advertised.

Then Oceania arrives....the ships(both old & new ) are quite appealing, the itineraries interesting & the food delicious(friends did a few weeks on one of the new ships & raved about their meals) and the service outstanding(again according to these friends).

Nothing is perfect but I am hoping that I'll find Oceania a good fit.

Thoroughly enjoyed your review here, and earlier, onboard. We have convinced friends who sailed twice on Regent to try Oceania, so I was pleased to read your comments. Of course so much comes down to what's important to each person, but since we would never take a ship's excursion and only have one glass of wine with dinner, the price difference was too great for us to consider Regent. Regarding the tired decor and worn furniture on Regent: on our second O cruise we had a worn loveseat in the cabin. Not terrible, just piping that was coming undone. I mentioned it on the mid cruise comment card and it was replaced the next day. Now that is good customer service!

As Gerry knows, I'm happy to read all of this, since I'm another Regent refugee who is sailing Riviera this fall.

But I must make a couple of comments.

We sailed Navigator this spring and it was lovely--none of the issues that I read from this review. (In a standard cabin, not a named suite.) And the named suites have all been completely renovated in 2012 as well. Loved P7 and Compass Rose.

Also, the standard veranda suite on Riviera is just a tiny bit smaller than the standard suite on Voyager, and about the same size as Mariner. No big diff.

I too miss Diamond--only sailed on her once, but the main dining room was to die for.

As Gerry knows, I'm happy to read all of this, since I'm another Regent refugee who is sailing Riviera this fall.

But I must make a couple of comments.

We sailed Navigator this spring and it was lovely--none of the issues that I read from this review. (In a standard cabin, not a named suite.) And the named suites have all been completely renovated in 2012 as well. Loved P7 and Compass Rose.

Also, the standard veranda suite on Riviera is just a tiny bit smaller than the standard suite on Voyager, and about the same size as Mariner. No big diff.

I too miss Diamond--only sailed on her once, but the main dining room was to die for.

"Refugee"? -- Wendy, hilarious description of your status

I see you are returning to the PG -- so jealous -- I may have to do the same in 2015

"Refugee"? -- Wendy, hilarious description of your status

I see you are returning to the PG -- so jealous -- I may have to do the same in 2015

I think someone else coined the phrase actually! And yes, we're doing the PG again--can't quite believe it. It's the "repeater's" cruise. So we'll add another 10 days to our 42 days onboard, and hopefully do a memorable pre-cruise as well.

My favorite part of the cruise was the listening to the outstanding string quartet every night before dinner.

That string quartet.. Playing In horizons at tea time... Now that is pure luxury. We loved it. And the widely spaced tables, everything served at your seat. So very lovely.

Archived