Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

So if a transfer of passengers to another cruise shipwas not feasible, why not use the Elation to tow them instead of tugboats. They would be at least twice as fast if not more. The Elation and legend were both there. Oh that's right, I forgot, it would have cost Carnival more money.

Neither of those ships is designed to tow anything. You really can't just throw a line off the back of a ship and say tie it to something and I will give you a tow.

So if a transfer of passengers to another cruise shipwas not feasible, why not use the Elation to tow them instead of tugboats. They would be at least twice as fast if not more. The Elation and legend were both there. Oh that's right, I forgot, it would have cost Carnival more money.

Good grief, you would think the people on this board had been in the sun longer than the people who are TRULY ONBOARD!!!!! That HAS TO BE the best suggestion yet!!!!:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

I wonder how many people that have posted so far, would feel if they were on that ship themselves. Easy to say well it's not that bad, but unless you walk in their shoes, how do you know how it feels. I feel for the passengers, not Carnival, they will weather this but I gotta tell you, I will never sail on another Carnival ship because of the way they have handled Triumphs problems over the past few months. I don't need to cruise that bad.

It seems to me that there would be just as much pull on a tugboat than there would be using a ship. I would trust that the captains on both ships would know how to make it work. For crying out lout Sully landed a plane in the Hudson, against odds.

I've been traveling extensively since I was in my teens. I've also had jobs where I spent 300 nights a year in hotels, and for a number of years, having 3-10 hours of free time a day to explore the area I was in. I've been in the big cities and the small villages. I've seen the mountains, deserts, oceans, lakes, rivers, valleys, forests, and plains.

As I said, to think that the world ends at the borders of this country is provincial at best.

How lucky you have been to see so much. Having to spend so much time away from home is difficult but seeing the world is wonderful. We have seen lots but there would never be enough time to see it all. Have passport will travel and we'll see as much as we can.

This was explained way back about why a tug was used. What sounds logical about one ship being towed by another, isn't.

So sad.. CNN played an audio conversation they had with a passenger on board the Triumph.

She confirmed that toilets won't flush and now people are going #2 in little plastic baggies and leaving it outside their rooms.. :eek:

How do you ever get this tub back in service ? . Where do you even start ? Likely have to pull carpeting all over the ship .EEEEWWWWW:mad:

How would they devide it.

The suite Pax would get the 4* hotels

if you have a balcony you would get a 3*

the rest in OV and insides get 2*

On the Carnival Spirit (a number of years ago) we had issues with no power off of Hawai'i and limped into Honolulu after about 2 days of only emergency power, Coast Guard with us, etc. It wasn't pretty (as we had no A/C and other issues from boarding on across the Pacific already).

They did not assign hotels based on your cabin when we arrived in Honolulu ahead of scheduled end-of-cruise. We got assigned a rather interesting hotel and I was very glad that the original hotel we had reserved post-cruise managed to get us in after only 2 days in the one Carnival put us in.

So, I wouldn't think they have changed their method of hotel allocation (though, one never knows).

You don't have to lower the lifeboats full. Lower the lifeboats and then open one of the doors near the water line to allow people to board.

You missed the point completely. If 5 people were killed lowering a lifeboat just this week in a calm port, doesn't that prove that there can be a substantial risk in lowering all the lifeboats on the high seas with no power or stabilization?

It's also strange how un-newsworthy it is when 5 are killed and more injured just because they are crewmembers and not passengers yet all he11 breaks loose when an incident happens that doesn't even have any injuries but inconveniences the passengers.

Just last November I was on the Star when a maintenance man was killed while in port working on the ship and no one on the ship was even notified of the accident and it never made the news.

The booking engine is showing no cruises for Triumph until April 18th... Suggesting to me they are planning for extensive repairs.

Wow i just looked and this will be a longer repair than first planned

They will have to recarpet most of the ship if the stories are true as well as maybe furniture

A big lesson.

This lesson tells me that instead of just focusing on destination and price, the cruise I take should be judged on who has the better plans in place to keep my family safe no matter what.

How do you go about determining this information?

On the Carnival Spirit (a number of years ago) we had issues with no power off of Hawai'i and limped into Honolulu after about 2 days of only emergency power, Coast Guard with us, etc. It wasn't pretty (as we had no A/C and other issues from boarding on across the Pacific already).

They did not assign hotels based on your cabin when we arrived in Honolulu ahead of scheduled end-of-cruise. We got assigned a rather interesting hotel and I was very glad that the original hotel we had reserved post-cruise managed to get us in after only 2 days in the one Carnival put us in.

So, I wouldn't think they have changed their method of hotel allocation (though, one never knows).

I think it will depend on what is available .. No one can wave a magic wand and empty current hotels .. I imagine there's a group in Miami scramblin' to find accommodations. No matter how many folks think Carnival's handling this incorrectly .. the logistics of taking care of everyone in Mobile's going to be a tough!

You missed the point completely. If 5 people were killed lowering a lifeboat just this week in a calm port, doesn't that prove that there can be a substantial risk in lowering all the lifeboats on the high seas with no power or stabilization?

It's also strange how un-newsworthy it is when 5 are killed and more injured just because they are crewmembers and not passengers yet all he11 breaks loose when an incident happens that doesn't even have any injuries but inconveniences the passengers.

Just last November I was on the Star when a maintenance man was killed while in port working on the ship and no one on the ship was even notified of the accident and it never made the news.

There is definite risk in lowering lifeboats, even in just crew drills. Just recently, CLIA proposed changes to only use the required number of crew when lowering the lifeboats and then having the additional crew for the drill board with the boat in the water.

With it being almost dinner time, this should help everyones appotite

With everyone peeing in the showers, where did it go? down the drain

With everyone pooping in buckets, where did it go?

And who had to take it there?

I wonder how they decide which crew has to empty the buckets? draw straws, who got the lowest rating last cruise?

Are they really just dumping it overboard? or filling the pools to hold it all for later?

Archived