New dining room and bar menus have been requested

Bill Leiber

Bill, I know you are probably as frustrated as everyone on this board with the delay, but do you have a projected time when we will actually know something? Surely before the March 27 cruise, but how much before?:confused:

Bill, I know you are probably as frustrated as everyone on this board with the delay, but do you have a projected time when we will actually know something? Surely before the March 27 cruise, but how much before?:confused:

Hello NC&KY and other readers -

I have been contacting our hotel operations management team daily about when I will be able to share with our Cruise Critic followers a specific definition of the complimentary "select standard spirits, international beers and the changing daily selections of red and white wines by the glass."

In seeking a delivery date, I've learned that at the same time, we will be introducing new value-priced beverage packages to coincide with the start of the complimentary program. Rather than announce this information in a piece-meal fashion, we will present the complete program in one document. That means that I will be sharing the complete story with you sometime early next week.

I'm sorry that I'm still in the unenviable position of having to ask for your continued patience. In the end, it's better that I share with you the correct information.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Thanks Bill

let's hope the 'complementary' 'select' 'all inclusive' has not become so restrictive that the only option will be to buy the bargain (value priced) beverage packages. ;)

Yvonne:)

My thoughts exactly. I have a feeling many of us are in for a big disappointment.

I hope I am wrong, but after all the hype surrounding the original announcement, it has gone very quiet. Maybe they wanted to see how sales were going before they committed to anything.

Judging by the reducing prices, we'll be lucky to get Tesco value.( no offence to any Tesco value drinking CC members.) :) :) :)

Thanks Bill

let's hope the 'complementary' 'select' 'all inclusive' has not become so restrictive that the only option will be to buy the bargain (value priced) beverage packages. ;)

Yvonne:)

At the very start of the announcement my own view has been not to get over excited by the choice that will be on offer. Remember this is inclusive unlimited alcohol that is being implemented so the free stuff I wouldn't have thought will be that "exciting", but rather a smaller choice of lower brands. There is of course an alternative. Buy drinks outside of the all inclusive separately. Of more interest to me is what, if any, new pricing there is on existing alcohol and packages. I will wait and see for the announcement and feel there is a lot of impatience on this thread setting up for a disappointment.

Phil

At the very start of the announcement my own view has been not to get over excited by the choice that will be on offer. Remember this is inclusive unlimited alcohol that is being implemented so the free stuff I wouldn't have thought will be that "exciting", but rather a smaller choice of lower brands. There is of course an alternative. Buy drinks outside of the all inclusive separately. Of more interest to me is what, if any, new pricing there is on existing alcohol and packages. I will wait and see for the announcement and feel there is a lot of impatience on this thread setting up for a disappointment.

Phil

Phil, you talk about impatience, but this was first announced over 4 months ago with a big fanfare, since then nothing. I do think it is reasonable that people should expect to know exactly what they are getting for their money.In fact it would have been nice to know before booking.

This whole thing has been handled so unprofessionally, it reflects badly on Azamara as a whole and that is a shame.

One thing has nothing to do with the other we were told about the spirits and new menus now there is another hold up the new value pricing option(which was never really a part of this)that we have to wait on ,this kind of reminds me of when we were told about the major renovation we were led on and on for months at a time almost up to the time that the ship was going into dry dock and then oh it is not a major but a minor renovation. I felt I was strung along for months now we have this.

For me this has little to do with the spirits or menus it has to do with clear, consise communication in a timely manner and it shows to me how much Azamara values the customer. I find this very frustrating and seems to be SOP for this cruise line.

Phil, you talk about impatience, but this was first announced over 4 months ago with a big fanfare, since then nothing. I do think it is reasonable that people should expect to know exactly what they are getting for their money.In fact it would have been nice to know before booking.

This whole thing has been handled so unprofessionally, it reflects badly on Azamara as a whole and that is a shame.

I agree that there has been a delay and by now it would be good to know exactly what drinks are included. My point taking a pragmatic approach is that in the scheme of the price rises it really doesn't make a great deal of difference whether for instance the all-inclusive vodka is Absolut, Smirnoff or Skyy.

Phil

Here's a comment on the "spirits" announcement by Larry Pimentel during his discussion here last October:

"Serving complimentary drinks does something to the ambience. I have seen this in my past. Guests socialize more. They are relaxed, and it is comfortable to meet with friends – old and new – without having to decide who pays the bill. That is value to many guests, and it allows us to provide this value at a modest rate."

I can now picture just how that "socialization" might go when new friends get together for a pre-dinner cocktail:

I'll have a martini.

That'll be $5 extra.

Oh, then how about a cosmo.

That's $4.

Maybe a daiquiri?

Also $4.

What can I have that's "included?"

Would you like an Old Farquhar on the rocks?

This recurring exchange will surely add to the "ambiance" on-board, making for a truly "relaxed" environment conducive to "socializing" and helping guests feel "comfortable.":rolleyes:

Seems to me if you're going to include liquor besides beer and wine, you've got to do it like Regent and make most things "included" with exceptions clearly listed. Popular cocktails like martinis, cosmos, daiquiris, pina coladas, margaritas, etc., have to be included unless requested to be made with some exotic brand liquor. Someone wants a single-malt, maybe that's extra. Bollinger or Perrier-Jouet, extra. Otherwise, the policy will fall far short of Pimentel's serene vision as expressed above.

I never read into the initial announcements that cocktails were being included only selected spirits - so I am expecting not to pay for a V and T DH is expecting not to pay for a scotch on the rocks, but if I am having a martini, I am still expecting to pay, though I am hoping the price may be a little lower to reflect the fact that I am forgoing a "free drink" each time I buy onw

I am with Phil, as long as the vodka is not Russian paint stripper but is something like Absolut (which I suspect it will be as this is the brand they give away in the suites) I have no problem.

Some of this discussion reminds me of the gnashing of teeth ahead of the first cruises with included wine, and look how that debate quietened very quickly

I'll be disappointed if some simple cocktails aren't included. After all, some people regard a spirit mixed with a soft drink, poured over ice, as a "cocktail". However, whatever we get for nothing (nope, I know it's not really free) will be nice, considering the high prices we pay on Cunard just for the basics.

Selling beverage packages on an all-inclusive ship! I'm hoping this doesn't mean what I think it does.

The complimentary beverages on Regent consist of champagne (not sparkling wine) and all cocktails and premium spirits. Extra charges only begin at XO cognac level, or aged single malts etc. This if found quite acceptable.

At the other end of the scale, Thomson Cruises provide a very basic package and charge for bottled water, bottled beers and most named spirits but then they are a three star line.

I will be extremely disappointed if Azamara pitch level close to the latter.

I don't expect champagne or vintage wines but I certainly would expect a basic cognac and malt whiskey.

Azamara are sold as 'light' luxury cruises and I certainly hope that they live up to this and don't join the nickel and dime brigade.

I will be joining the Quest on their first A.I. cruise. If I had been aware of Bill's last post at the time of booking, I would have gone elsewhere.

Azamara are sold as 'light' luxury cruises and I certainly hope that they live up to this and don't join the nickel and dime brigade.

I must agree. I know lots of people of this board are upset with Azamara for going more all-inclusive, but that move actually motivated me to try the cruise line. Like Charleyben, I have liked the Regent approach, and I hate feeling like I'm being nickeled and dimed, which is how I feel on Celebrity. I want to be able to budget $X amount for a cruise and then be satisfied that I won't have to spend more unless I want souveniers, spa appointments, and the like. So I must admit, I will be disappointed if there is an extra charge for a martini or a Manhattan; and while I don't expect to get the best gin or bourbon in those, it should be something that I wouldn't be ashamed to serve to a guest who asked for his spirit "neat." I have been quite optimistic throughout this delay, but Bill's most recent report is disheartening.

i would expect the same as Celebrity drinks packages,the prenium being the benchmark :)

If i have to pay for a cosmo (full size) i shall be well p------d and will look foreward to writing to complain :(

We 1st went on Azamara before the wine being included and remember simlar fears about quality and quantity :)

In the UK Azamara is being sold as being 'all inclusive' ..... So why on earth would an 'all inclusive' brand need to have a beverage package? I am not getting good vibes here. :-(

Why, indeed. On our next Azamar cruise, later this year, the Azamazing evening is not something we would want to go on. And it looks like

we may not wish to partake of the ´basic´ all inclusive drinks, if there are

any now.

We have so enjoyed our previous cruises on Azamara and the usual anticipation of being onboard in a few months time is very quickly beginning to wear off. I have never, ever felt like that about any upcoming cruise. Sad thing is, living in UK we will loose our deposit if we wish to cancel.

So I will strive to be more positive and think of the wonderful people working on the ship from the Captain down: for they are the people who will make our cruise wonderful, in spite of the paper pushers in Miami.

BTW my next cruise is on Oceania - our first time on that line - it will be

interesting to compare.

Why, indeed. On our next Azamar cruise, later this year, the Azamazing evening is not something we would want to go on. And it looks like

we may not wish to partake of the ´basic´ all inclusive drinks, if there are

any now.

We have so enjoyed our previous cruises on Azamara and the usual anticipation of being onboard in a few months time is very quickly beginning to wear off. I have never, ever felt like that about any upcoming cruise. Sad thing is, living in UK we will loose our deposit if we wish to cancel.

So I will strive to be more positive and think of the wonderful people working on the ship from the Captain down: for they are the people who will make our cruise wonderful, in spite of the paper pushers in Miami.

BTW my next cruise is on Oceania - our first time on that line - it will be

interesting to compare.

We too have a cruise booked with Azamara and are having 2nd thoughts. Like you we will lose our deposits if we cancel. So sad to see such negative vibes for our, up to now, favourite cruise line.

Do let us know what you think of Oceania, it is one we are looking at too.

Archived